PDA

View Full Version : knights of the old republic 3

shazza95
2009-07-05, 05:14 AM
has anyone else seen the preview for this? i saw it and i just sat there thinking holy crap! the graphics are so good it is actually scary!
if anyone else has an opinion i would like to hear it.
or read it.
obviously

Emperor Ing
2009-07-05, 05:19 AM
As awesome as the prospect of KOTOR 3 sounds, it has one fact that is a truly major buzzkill
it's an MMO :smallfrown:

Anteros
2009-07-05, 06:55 AM
Lots of people enjoy MMOs...myself included.

I'm a bit worried about the graphics in this though. Historically MMOs with high graphic requirements fail because they alienate such a large portion of their possible player base.

Let's just hope the dev team realizes this.

Premier
2009-07-05, 06:58 AM
As awesome as the prospect of KOTOR 3 sounds, it has one fact that is a truly major buzzkill
it's an MMO :smallfrown:

Well, after KOTOR 2 we know they're not much for giving their games a proper end. I guess they realised this limitation and chose a genre where they don't have to.

[/snarky]

Mewtarthio
2009-07-05, 10:17 AM
Well, after KOTOR 2 we know they're not much for giving their games a proper end. I guess they realised this limitation and chose a genre where they don't have to.

:eek:

Oh... oh, crap! Don't you realize what you've done?!

*dives for cover*

Athaniar
2009-07-05, 11:26 AM
has anyone else seen the preview for this? i saw it and i just sat there thinking holy crap! the graphics are so good it is actually scary!
if anyone else has an opinion i would like to hear it.
or read it.
obviously

KotOR 3? The only one I've heard of is The Old Republic, the MMO. And it looks great, by the way. You sure you don't mean The Old Republic?

Green Bean
2009-07-05, 12:29 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to The Old Republic. So far it looks quite interesting, and I really don't mind the MMO aspect. Plus, the branching paths and full vocals aren't anything to sneeze at. And while I know it isn't a direct sequel, I really hope I find out what happened to the Exile. Reven too, to a lesser extent.

Gamerlord
2009-07-05, 12:59 PM
Argh it seems like a totally sweet trailer but the fact it is a MMO(:smallfurious:) makes me treat it like a amulet of strangulation. :furious:

Athaniar
2009-07-05, 02:11 PM
Argh it seems like a totally sweet trailer but the fact it is a MMO(:smallfurious:) makes me treat it like a amulet of strangulation. :furious:

What's wrong with MMOs? The cost?

Om
2009-07-05, 02:47 PM
What's wrong with MMOs? The cost?To say that they are not everybody's cup of tea would be an understatement. And to follow up two great story-driven RPGs with an MMO... well that does grate with some people. Like me

Edit: Although this trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvbv-LkK6w), while not in-game, is absolutely gorgeous and almost enough to make me reinstall the first two games

Skorj
2009-07-05, 03:53 PM

For me, I dislike MMOs in general because you have to play far too many hours per tiny bit of content available, and the entire endgame content is completely unavailable to me (because it's either day-long raids, or PvP, neither of which I enjoy). But what really makes MMOs annoying is that the character classes won't sit still - every month or two the builds good enough to make the game fast-paced and enjoyable change as the designers tinker. I like to have both a strong build and a good roleplaying backstory and character concept, and that's just not practical in a MMO.

Joran
2009-07-05, 04:09 PM

[/snarky]

KotOR 2 was made by Obsidian, not Bioware. I really wish they were given more time to add the necessary amount of polish to make it a great game.

We'll see how it goes. I last played WoW, and I had a good time, but I got married and had less time to play solo. So, I'm more of a "pick up and play for 10-15 minutes" rather than a "blow an entire afternoon" kind of player now :(

shazza95
2009-07-05, 06:44 PM
KotOR 3? The only one I've heard of is The Old Republic, the MMO. And it looks great, by the way. You sure you don't mean The Old Republic?

sorry, i got that wrong.
oh, and by the way, Joran, i don't know you, but if you got married recently, congratulations.

Gamerlord
2009-07-05, 07:24 PM

That, along with the fact of gold-beggers, spammers, the noobs, and no clear-cut ending that only has boring end-game content.

Now if this was something KOTOR 2(Single-player RPG) style on the other hand......

Prowl
2009-07-07, 10:56 AM
I would lay my money down to buy KOTOR 3 without hesitation - if it were a single-player game like 1 & 2.

Wild horses couldn't drag a dollar out of my wallet for an MMO version.

The core problem with MMOs is that people suck, and the amount of fun you get from an MMO doesn't begin to compensate for the amount of time and effort it takes to find that handful of decent people with whom it is actually desirable to play with.

Joran
2009-07-07, 11:19 AM
I would lay my money down to buy KOTOR 3 without hesitation - if it were a single-player game like 1 & 2.

Wild horses couldn't drag a dollar out of my wallet for an MMO version.

The core problem with MMOs is that people suck, and the amount of fun you get from an MMO doesn't begin to compensate for the amount of time and effort it takes to find that handful of decent people with whom it is actually desirable to play with.

For me, the core problem isn't finding people; I have probably 6-8 friends distributed around the country that are good, solid players and I enjoy playing with them. MMOs for me was having a good opportunity to talk to them while doing something fun; sort of like an interactive IM service.

It's scheduling the time to play with them. We all have jobs, some have wives and girlfriends, or other obligations on our time. One guy in the West Coast works late and can only play at midnight, but one guy on the East Coast has to get up early. It's pretty tough to get everyone together at the same time. I'm sure once people start having kids, it'll be impossible.

oh, and by the way, Joran, i don't know you, but if you got married recently, congratulations.

Thanks. I got married about a year ago. I've managed to convince her that Wednesday nights are gaming nights :)

shazza95
2009-07-07, 07:23 PM
has anyone ever thought about the people that aren't good as more than bad players?
i'm just saying that when you first started to play were you really that good?
everyone has to start somewhere right?

snoopy13a
2009-07-07, 09:02 PM
I've been following the reports of the game's development and supposely there will be quite a bit of storyline that is unique to each class. The devs say it won't be KOTOR 3 but rather KOTOR 3,4,5,6, etc. Additionally, there has been a movement in MMORPGs towards attracting solo players. I would think that the storyline content will be able to be soloed.

Of course, you have to take anything a MMORPG dev says with a grain of salt. The genre is infamous for promises made during development that do not pan out. One thing that worries me is their promises of an in-depth storyline. The typical single player RPG has 25-40 hours of content. A hardcore MMORPG player would chew up that time in a week or less. Even an average player will get through this in a month. I'm not sure whether or not this will work long-term as players will go through content quicker than devs can create it. This is why MMORPGs tend to have level grinds.

Still, if you're skeptical, all you have to do is wait a few months and get feedback from those who do try it.

Ninja
2009-07-09, 06:57 PM

[/snarky]

Am i the only person in the world who liked the KOTOR 2 ending? Well at least the one where you go after Revan to the unexplored part of the galaxy (or whacyacallit)..... guess i am.... anyway i like MMO's, not that much, but i still think KOTOR should stick to singleplayer. If they want to make a SW themed MMO, I think making a new one is better, than one that is continued on a singleplayer game....

Tom_Violence
2009-07-11, 05:21 AM
I won't be touching this, despite having really enjoyed KotOR2 (1 was fairly so-so, though).

The problem is that MMOGs are designed around systems to 'encourage' people to play for as long as possible, which not only honks of exploitation, but is also really really boring.