PDA

View Full Version : Low Level Artificer

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-05, 07:25 AM
So, I'm playing a 1st level artificer in one game, and I recently got drafted into another where I also whipped up an artificer, that one level 4.

The level 1 artificer hasn't actually started yet, but the 4's been through a session and so it's too late for advice like "Make sure to take the Super Special Awesome feat!"

So how does one play an artificer at really low levels, in an undergolded party (I started with 400 plus mundane gear, the party is expecting a large bounty soon that will bring them closer to WBL but still below it)? What are the pros and cons to scrolls/potions? How do I make my penny stretch?

What are in-game tips that can help me out? I was really feeling like I was having trouble contributing to the party.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-05, 07:31 AM
You could make some cash on the side using the Mercantile Background feat.
Gives you more gold and you could sell stuff for slightly more profit.

Other than that I have never actually played an artificer. :)
I should try it one session. :D

Eldariel
2009-07-05, 07:48 AM
So, I'm playing a 1st level artificer in one game, and I recently got drafted into another where I also whipped up an artificer, that one level 4.

The level 1 artificer hasn't actually started yet, but the 4's been through a session and so it's too late for advice like "Make sure to take the Super Special Awesome feat!"

So how does one play an artificer at really low levels, in an undergolded party (I started with 400 plus mundane gear, the party is expecting a large bounty soon that will bring them closer to WBL but still below it)? What are the pros and cons to scrolls/potions? How do I make my penny stretch?

What are in-game tips that can help me out? I was really feeling like I was having trouble contributing to the party.

You need to reserve Scrolls for huge fights (and keep a relatively small supply of them) and never waste money on Potions in low wealth games. Craft everything possible yourself; with that money, I'd be crafting all your mundane gear too (with the Craft-skills) as possible. Other than that, you need to rely on your Infusions more than on your items if possible.

Try to use solely Eternal Wands (combined with Metamagic Item infusion once you acquire it to persist them) as possible, and get low level spells to start with. And whenever possible, use your craft-skills for profit (you could Craft poisons provided you get past the illegality-part; they have really good income rate) and of course, when adventuring, you need to get a Dedicated Wright Homunculus sooner or later to keep on crafting; I'd save for one of those ASAP.

Also, whenever you get your next feat, if you didn't pick it already, get that Extraordinary Artisan-feat which cuts 25% off all craft gold costs (XP costs aren't that big yet as being a level lower means you get more XP per encounter and quickly catch up).

Coidzor
2009-07-05, 08:23 AM
Personal Weapon Augmentation: Bane. Is your friend.

Craft: Sculpting is probably the most useful skill if you're looking to do homonculi, as I believe it translates to being able to do several of them. I think you can take ten on those checks, and so it only needs about 5-6 eventual ranks...

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=813665 is the artificer's guide from WOTC forums.

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-05, 08:53 AM
Wow. Bane looks really nice.

Spell Storing: Go ahead and cast any spell in the game whenever you like. Just because.

Coidzor
2009-07-05, 09:11 AM
Wow. Bane looks really nice.

Spell Storing: Go ahead and cast any spell in the game whenever you like. Just because.

I think you only get up to 5th level with that... But yeah.

The artificer is the only person who really ever uses Bane enchantments except for on ammunition due to the fact that he can specify a different bane whenever for whatever. and it gets an effective +2 enchantment out of a +1 enchantment "slot" so long as you're fighting what you've baned against.

Eldariel
2009-07-05, 09:26 AM
The artificer is the only person who really ever uses Bane enchantments except for on ammunition due to the fact that he can specify a different bane whenever for whatever. and it gets an effective +2 enchantment out of a +1 enchantment "slot" so long as you're fighting what you've baned against.

Outside killing the Tarrasque pre-epic anyways. And hell, Bane: Anything is effective +3-+4 enhancement (2d6 damage = +2, +2 to hit = half of +2 ability, ability to increase it beyond normal weapon maximum pre-epic should be other +1). It's just awesome.

Oh yeah, you can make heavy use out of "Greater Healing" armor enhancement for cheap, if still one with money cost, healing (3d8+15 IIRC).

Coidzor
2009-07-05, 09:33 AM
Outside killing the Tarrasque pre-epic anyways. And hell, Bane: Anything is effective +3-+4 enhancement (2d6 damage = +2, +2 to hit = half of +2 ability, ability to increase it beyond normal weapon maximum pre-epic should be other +1). It's just awesome.

Oh yeah, you can make heavy use out of "Greater Healing" armor enhancement for cheap, if still one with money cost, healing (3d8+15 IIRC).

Hmm, that reminds me... Does Bane increase the enhancement bonus to damage and to-hit by +1 or does it double the existing enhancement bonus on the weapon?

...Also, does Bane get most of his power from artificers and people making Elf Bane arrows? :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2009-07-05, 09:46 AM
Hmm, that reminds me... Does Bane increase the enhancement bonus to damage and to-hit by +1 or does it double the existing enhancement bonus on the weapon?

Bane (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#bane) increases the effective enhancement bonus by +2 (so +2 to hit and to damage) and adds +2d6 damage.

...Also, does Bane get most of his power from artificers and people making Elf Bane arrows? :smalltongue:

That'd make sense, wouldn't it?

Yuki Akuma
2009-07-05, 10:10 AM
I think you only get up to 5th level with that... But yeah.

4th level... But yeah.

You can get quite a lot out of any spell up to 4th level.

(And I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "Greater Spell Storing Item" infusion in some book or other.)

Coidzor
2009-07-05, 11:07 AM
4th level... But yeah.

You can get quite a lot out of any spell up to 4th level.

(And I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "Greater Spell Storing Item" infusion in some book or other.)

True, it is an element of versatility that should not be discounted.

Well, in Magic of Eberron there's Spell Snare (up to 3rd) and Greater Spell Snare (up to 6) which puts a spell or spell-like ability in an eberron dragonshard. So useless outside of eberron unless the DM lets something else count as dragonshards for it. Whups... The text describing it is misleading when compared with the text of the infusion itself...

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-05, 11:58 AM
Plus, since Spell Storing is hrs/level I believe, once you pass 8th level you can blow all your spare infusions on stored spells before going to bed and wake up ready for action.

Dragonmuncher
2009-07-05, 02:06 PM
Another vote for "Bane." +2 to hit and +2d6 damage is excellent at low levels. Put it on a ranged weapon and go to town!

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-07, 09:19 AM
Thought I'd necro this rather than make a whole additional thread just because I had another question.

A lot of people will allow the Artificer class, but many will be reluctant to include the Action Points mechanic. Without Action Points, how does one get infusions off quickly?

Coidzor
2009-07-07, 10:33 AM
You pretty much stick to your personal weapon augmentation and wand-use aside from pre-battle buffing and post-battle utility as you're able to prepare/plan/clean up.

As far as I know, without action points, the artificer's ability to use infusions in battle is practically zilch aside from the ubiquitous bane.

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-07, 12:19 PM
You pretty much stick to your personal weapon augmentation and wand-use aside from pre-battle buffing and post-battle utility as you're able to prepare/plan/clean up.

As far as I know, without action points, the artificer's ability to use infusions in battle is practically zilch aside from the ubiquitous bane.

Actually, a large number of them are standard actions. Among the first level spells are Energy Swap, Bonus AC, Saves Bonus, Light, Magic Pebbles, Metamagic Scroll.

It's only about half that are slow and it's always the better half. :-/