PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Hand Swordsage (Arcane Variant)

jeek
2009-07-05, 01:34 PM
Working on a maneuver/feat progression for a Shadow Hand Swordsage (Arcane Variant).

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rfZ_xCwv5cNjuVuHyW3wVEw&output=html

I apologize for the link, but the information has been changing pretty rapidly.

Basically, I've taken a good portion of the Shadow Hand maneuvers, and quite a few Illusion spells, mixed in with a couple of other spells. I'm going for a shadowy bastard ninja vibe, my primary weapons will be a couple of daggers so I can take advantage of Shadow Blade, Weapon Finesse, and a couple of spells that use daggers.

I've avoided any spells with nontrivial material components. Whenever I replaced a maneuver or spell, I made the new one bold to call attention to it.

Faleldir
2009-07-05, 01:46 PM
You couldn't mess up an Arcane Swordsage if you tried, and I'm sure someone with far more experience will explain why before I finish typing this post. Time Stop at will!
But if you don't mind that, Daggerspell Mage should be an obvious choice.

Keld Denar
2009-07-05, 01:51 PM
The formatting on your sheet for maneuvers is kinda hard to understand...

One thing I did notice, is a distinct lack of Greater Mirror Image (CMage) and Greater Invisibility. That is sad for an Illusion Focused ASS. Greater Mirror Image in particular is great, since its effectively a counter that makes you REALLY hard to hit.

Why Bestow Curse? Isn't that good, requires both a touch attack and a save and doesn't really amount to a lot. Its not bad...its just...not...good...

Wierd is kinda funny though. It comes at a level where many things will probably be immune to [Mind Affecting], which makes it rather...unpotent. You could probably do better there even. Heck, Mountain Tombstone Strike requires 0 Stone Dragon strikes, and IMO is better.

Can you refresh your maneuvers during a Time Stop? Cause that would be totally sick for buffing.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-05, 01:52 PM
Be careful. As long as you don't intentionally pick those spells that will break the game if given unlimited uses, Arcane Swordsage can works fairly well. Otherwise it's one of the more broken things around.

Be very careful about 8th and 9th level spells though...most WILL wreck a game. Choose carefully, and consult your DM first. Finally, be prepared to willingly sacrifice spells that turn out to be overpowered...just erase them from your sheet and pick others. It'll make the game run much more smoothly.

Finally, make it so that Adaptive Style doesn't work for your spells. Refreshing all spells as a Full-Round action is a no-no.

jeek
2009-07-05, 01:56 PM
Finally, make it so that Adaptive Style doesn't work for your spells. Refreshing all spells as a Full-Round action is a no-no.

I was under the impression that Adaptive Style would let me change what I have known, but that everything I swap in would come in expended, and I would need to meditate to "unexpend" any of the new spells/maneuvers.

Keld Denar
2009-07-05, 01:58 PM
Nope! Adaptive Style brings everything back, fresh shiney and new. Did you look up Greater Mirror Image yet?

jeek
2009-07-06, 02:16 AM
Nope! Adaptive Style brings everything back, fresh shiney and new. Did you look up Greater Mirror Image yet?

Found it in PHB2, along with some other niftiness (Chasing Perfection)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-07-06, 04:35 AM
Note that as-written, the Arcane Swordsage variant only has access to Abjuration, Evocation, and Transmutation spells. Assuming you're limited to those schools, and keeping in mind that you can constantly keep up just about any minute/level or longer duration buff, I'd be sure to pick the following spells:
Nerveskitter, Shield, Greater Mage Hand, Wraithstrike, Whirling Blade, Greater Dispel Magic as a 5th level spell from the Bard list, Disintegrate, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Iceberg (Frostburn), and Invoke Magic (Lords of Madness). There are a few other spells that would be extremely useful at-will, especially Energy Immunity to use five times on each person in your party and Greater Magic Weapon for each party member.

Cyclocone
2009-07-06, 05:13 AM
You don't have Greater Blink, do you? Might consider that.

Wings of Cover is Evoc. It's Sorc-only though, so Arcane Sword Sage might not qualify (It's kinda cheesy too).

What about something like Spell Turning, you can hardly go wrong with that.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-06, 06:56 AM
Note that as-written, the Arcane Swordsage variant only has access to Abjuration, Evocation, and Transmutation spells. Assuming you're limited to those schools, and keeping in mind that you can constantly keep up just about any minute/level or longer duration buff, I'd be sure to pick the following spells:
Nerveskitter, Shield, Greater Mage Hand, Wraithstrike, Whirling Blade, Greater Dispel Magic as a 5th level spell from the Bard list, Disintegrate, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Iceberg (Frostburn), and Invoke Magic (Lords of Madness). There are a few other spells that would be extremely useful at-will, especially Energy Immunity to use five times on each person in your party and Greater Magic Weapon for each party member.

While this is a list of great spells, I would actually avoid several of them (especially Wraithstrike). Otherwise your DM will think twice about allowing you the variant, and the game may suffer. Keep to useful, but less broken (if used repeatedly) spells.

SoD
2009-07-06, 07:01 AM
Even if you take buff spells from PhBI, like bull's strength, and such; +4 to whatever score for your entire party! Everyone like's +4 con for a start.

jeek
2009-07-06, 08:30 AM
Note that as-written, the Arcane Swordsage variant only has access to Abjuration, Evocation, and Transmutation spells.

That is mentioned as a suggestion, right next to the other suggestion "personal and touch spells only". If you looked at my list at all, you'd see that I'm going nearly all Shadow Hand/Illusion, so not taking that rule suggestion into consideration.