PDA

View Full Version : About Kobolds (SoD spoilers)

The Extinguisher
2009-07-05, 07:53 PM
I've always wondered about Kobolds in this world.

As per Redcloak, the gods created them with the goblins in order for their clerics to gain levels. They're deemed a monster race. But clearly they did something that raised them beyond that.

Look at Yikyik (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0044.html). Yeah, he was evil, but upon meeting the Linear Guild the Order on had a question about Zz'dtri. Clearly, they are an accepted player race.

Then there's the Oracle, a respectable oracle who again, the Order is only shocked at the fact he's a Kobold. Not because of the whole evil race thing.

And if the village of Lickmyorangeballshalfling (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0568.html) would not have lasted the week if it were a goblin village.

Sure, there's been some issues in the past (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0357.html), but they seem to be holding strong, I mean, Yokyok is clearly goodish.

So what do you think our little orange buddies did to earn this? Because I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with a god-killing abomination.

NerfTW
2009-07-05, 08:01 PM
We've seen monsters with class levels before, including goblins (loads of them), hobgoblins (also loads), dragons, and ogres.

Quetzal76
2009-07-05, 08:05 PM
Obviously, the snarl is actually a kobold that was raised to godhood and killed the greek pantheon to push the kobold race above what they were intended to be. In return for that he was to be imprisoned inside the new world where kobolds got a better position in society.

It's all quite obvious :smallamused:

paddyfool
2009-07-05, 08:12 PM
Well, we can guess by the source of the Oracle's power that they may have had a rather high-ranking divine patron from the start... unlike the Goblins, who were created by the gods purely as XP fodder for their chosen races.

SadisticFishing
2009-07-05, 09:48 PM
Yeah, good call.

I'd guess that having Tiamat as a patron means that while they ARE an Evil race, they're not just fodder.

Zevox
2009-07-05, 10:14 PM
While the relatively few examples we have do seem to indicate they're not as bad off as the Goblins, I'd caution against assuming they aren't widely used as cannon fodder. Belkar sure didn't have any trouble convincing a horde of adventurers to kill Yokyok mostly based on his race, after all.

Zevox

factotum
2009-07-06, 01:28 AM
The village was under the protection of the Oracle, who is under the protection of a major goddess; therefore I don't think you can judge how the general kobold population are faring based just on those.

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-06, 01:33 AM
Also, the Memory Charm will stop people from leaving and coming back with friends to kill the Kobolds. I assumed that Zz'dtri was only there as a Drzzt clone joke rather then a meaningful reference to how Drows are seen in the world.

Morquard
2009-07-06, 01:34 AM
I guess Kobolds while not a player race mihgt not be classed as "always evil" unlike the Dark Elves.
So Haley just assumed its probably a non-evil kobold, while being confused on Dr'zzrtt

Almaseti
2009-07-06, 01:39 AM
Besides, the village was well within the Oracle's memory-loss zone thing, so no one knew it was there until they got there, and when they did, they probably left them alone because of the Oracle or because attacking the whole village would get them killed.

jsager1015
2009-07-06, 01:50 AM
Definitely cannon fodder (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0151.html)

TengYt
2009-07-06, 02:01 AM
The Snarl is a very bored Pun-Pun.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-06, 02:04 AM
In SOD:

There are two well established villages shown. One, redcloak's, is destroyed by Azurites. The second, right eye's, is destroyed by Xykon.
So building and keeping a town, especially for just one week, is something that both kobolds and goblins can do. We have also seen lawful good goblins and goblins with character levels. So, I don't see a difference between kobolds and goblins. Even Yokyok was killed on sight in the city.

As for the Oracle, he is specially chosen by Tiamat. Being chosen has certain protections, like an inability to stay dead, as we have seen.

Teddy
2009-07-06, 03:31 AM
Kobolds are deffinitely cannon fodder. In SoD:
Kobolds are created as rapid XP for the Clerics and Druids. They are shown together with the goblinoids and lizardfolks.

And in otOoS:
Kobolds are the first creatures the OotS encounters, and most of them are killed by by laughing to death.

Nerdanel
2009-07-06, 04:51 AM
I think kobolds, lizardfolk, etc. are definitely cannon fodder. They have one god among several (Tiamat) that's on their side, but that's not enough.

Speculation 1 (the Oracle):
I think the Oracle will turn out to be a dangerous villain, with aims very similar to that of Redcloak's but far subtler means. I think he will only be defeated because Roy got through his memory charm.

He already has a pair of powerful divine and arcane casters doing his bidding and with his foresight he can plan for anything. Fear the kobold with the NPC levels!

Speculation 2 (the Dark One):
The Dark One knows that being just one god among many is not enough to get a fair deal, as exemplified by Tiamat. Therefore I think the Dark One's plan B (or even plan A) is not allowing the world get destroyed for a spot at the bargaining table but using the Snarl against the other gods. The Dark One would send the Snarl to the realms of the other gods, so that he gets to be the only god left and make the world into his image, with humans as XP fodder.

With the destruction of Celestia and other godly realms the spirits of the resident dead would be forever destroyed too, but it's not like the Dark One cares about characters like Roy's little brother.

Interestingly, this plan might be just a little too evil for Redcloak to handle if he knew about it...

Trickywiggy
2009-07-06, 06:18 AM
Well we know that Tiamat is the divine for the kobolds and Tiamat is a western God...so we can probably expect a whole lot more kobolds in the Western continent. Hopefully we will get more answers about their plight.

Morty
2009-07-06, 10:30 AM
It's possible that while Oracle is a chosen one of Tiamat, she doesn't really care about most kobolds. Which still leaves the question of why is a chosen one of Tiamat a kobold.

Souhiro
2009-07-06, 01:15 PM
Well, before the (in game) year end, we will se who is stronger, a puny five-headed dragon goddess, or a sexy shoeless god of war!