PDA

View Full Version : I don't know where else to post this...

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-07-05, 10:28 PM
...so if it's in the wrong place, please tell me.

I don't actually play D&D (everything I know I picked up from OOTS and google searches) so if this is a really obvious question, please don't tease me about it:

Do undead creatures need to sleep? Specifically, do whights need to sleep?

Blackjackg
2009-07-05, 10:30 PM
No. Undead typically do not need to eat, sleep or breathe. Specific exceptions would be noted in the monster's entry in whatever book that monster is in.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-07-05, 10:31 PM
No. Undead typically do not need to eat, sleep or breathe. Specific exceptions would be noted in the monster's entry in whatever book that monster is in.

Thanks!:smallsmile:

Steward
2009-07-05, 10:31 PM
I don't think so. They are powered by Negative energy or some such nonsense, which means that they don't need food or rest to move. They're basically like machines in that regard and can theoretically move indefinitely as long as they have their external power source, I think.

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-06, 07:34 AM
Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

That's the general rule, although some exceptions may exist.

gibbo88
2009-07-06, 07:44 AM
It's also largely up to the DM of the time. Those rascally buggers have been know to change the rules on the players, apparently like they ruled the world or something! :smalltongue:

Try looking up one of the Open Game (www.d20srd.org) content websites if you want some specific info on things you read in this awesome comic!

Happy trails.

Cyclocone
2009-07-06, 07:56 AM
Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType)

That being said, lots of undead need to feed in some manner, hust think of vampires, ghouls, spectres etc.

hewhosaysfish
2009-07-06, 08:07 AM
That being said, lots of undead need to feed in some manner, hust think of vampires, ghouls, spectres etc.

Well, technically, they don't need to feed. They just feel like they do.

And, bizarrely, vampires are not specified as needing to sleep (i.e. in their coffins, during the day) the way you might expect.

Cyclocone
2009-07-06, 08:13 AM
Well, technically, they don't need to feed. They just feel like they do.

And, bizarrely, vampires are not specified as needing to sleep (i.e. in their coffins, during the day) the way you might expect.

Well that's what i get from being AFB.:smallbiggrin:

I distinctly remember ghouls as having to eat a certain amount of flesh or start taking penalties... must've been a previous edition.:smallredface:

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-06, 09:27 AM
I think there are optional rules for that in Libris Mortis.

Blackfang108
2009-07-06, 12:27 PM
I think there are optional rules for that in Libris Mortis.

There are.

There's a HUGE table for it.