PDA

View Full Version : Interested in the Master Thrower . . .

Arros Winhadren
2009-07-05, 11:43 PM
There was a thread about the MT the other day, but sadly the only build I ever see floating around is Flick the Flaming Dagger Flinger, who unfortunately makes use of the Book of Nine Swords.

What sort of base classes would be suggested for the Master Thrower. Naturally rogue comes to mind, but I've tried doing that before and I got hung up on making full use of Sneak Attack, something that ultimately ruined the build. What do you think of that barbarian variant that gets extra attacks?

I seem to remember a Ranged Power Attack somewhere. Does it exist?

Thanks all!

EDIT: Found Power Throw in Complete Adventurer. Combined with Brutal Throw, I'm considering forgetting Halfling as race and going with something like Half-Orc.

Double Edit: Does Brutal Throw work with ammunition, like shuriken?

raitalin
2009-07-06, 12:15 AM
Factotum (Dungeonscape) is awesome with MT, as it gets INT to all strength and Dexterity checks and skills. Combine that with the MT's tripping throw and you can trip Large creatures with a decent strength from across the room.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-06, 01:15 AM
Well, Rogue is going to be how you maximize your damage potential, by increasing how much damage each individual shot does. A level dip in Monk also gives you Flurry, so you can use Shuriken and get an extra shot in there.

The other alternative is to combine it with Hulking Hurler and Barbarian... but beware your GM's wrath should you try to pull Hulking Hurler Million Damage shots off....

Animefunkmaster
2009-07-06, 01:37 AM
Do you have the eberron books? Will your DM allow boomerangs to be used for the thrown weapon trick palm throw? Add in boomerang ricochet and boomrang daze and your set.

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-06, 03:50 AM
Don't try rogue. You only sneak attack once in a blue moon, its not worth it. You need to catch something flat footed, hit them with a lower bab, and then hope they're not the 3/4 of the monster manual that's immune to crits, a rogue, or a barbarian.

A Halfling ranger with quick draw dual wielding thrown daggers is probably the most damage/round on average (d3 = 2 average damage, d4= 2.5 damage) +2 hit is better than +1 to damage, especially at higher levels.

Doc Roc
2009-07-06, 05:04 AM
Don't try rogue. You only sneak attack once in a blue moon, its not worth it. You need to catch something flat footed, hit them with a lower bab, and then hope they're not the 3/4 of the monster manual that's immune to crits, a rogue, or a barbarian.

Or buy the appropriate weapon crystals, pick up a way to negate concealment, some solid anti-detection gear, and fifty percent or higher concealment. And bang-o, you sneak attack at almost every hit.

We can do this, if you like. Does you wants a build?