PDA

View Full Version : Good Enchantments for a Spiked Chain? (3.5)

Coidzor
2009-07-06, 05:45 AM
I'm kinda wondering what sort of enchantment progression to do on a spiked chain.

The first build is for the standard, large-size, strength-heavy tripper type.

The second is for more of a skillmonkey support-line rogue/fighter.

I imagine these two would have different demands (for one thing, the first would be able to channel more of his wealth into the weapon, so a faster rate of increase)

herrhauptmann
2009-07-06, 08:14 AM
Everbright is always good. It stops the DM from destroying it with rust/acid. Flat cost.
Tripping enchantment MIC. +1
Just BUY a living chain (MIC). It's technically a +1 chain with tripping, but cheaper for some reason.

Edit: Why would the strength guy be able to channel more cash into the weapon than the skillmonkey?

Yrcrazypa
2009-07-06, 08:48 AM
Presumably because the skill monkey needs tools and such that the strength character doesn't, so the strength character can just focus all of his gold on a weapon.

bosssmiley
2009-07-06, 08:54 AM
Dancing. Any objections? :smallwink:

ColdSepp
2009-07-06, 08:55 AM
Where is Everbright from? That sounds useful.

herrhauptmann
2009-07-06, 09:01 AM
Magic item compendium.
That and blueshine are must-haves with mean DM's.

ColdSepp
2009-07-06, 09:04 AM
Huh. I missed the part about it becoming immune to rust and acid.

Meat Shield
2009-07-06, 09:45 AM
I'm a big fan of paralyzing (BoED) on just about any weapon, but especially tripping weapons. "Go down and STAY down!"

Keld Denar
2009-07-06, 11:15 AM
Whirling is fun. 3/day Whirlwind Attack without having to actually take 4 bad feats to get it. Get a Drow Scorpion Chain instead for a slashing weapon?

I'm a huge fan of Transmuting for most beatstick type characters. Charge in the first round to get your swing in, and on the next round, while you full attack, you get to ignore all DR. Its a +2 from the MIC.

Greater Dispelling is also fun, especially if you get it early when the +15 on the check is worth something. I'm pretty sure you can stack a Dispelling Cord on top of that as well.

Wounding is hands down one of the best enhancements, as well. This is particularly true if you are an Exotic Weapon Master with the Flurry trick to increase your attacks/round.

Other than those, Holy and Collision are pretty reliable damage.

Fixt

Draz74
2009-07-06, 12:36 PM
Sweeping is fun. 3/day Whirlwind Attack without having to actually take 4 bad feats to get it.

If you mean Whirling, from the MIC, then it technically is only supposed to work on Slashing weapons. (One of my characters really wanted a Whirling Morningstar ... :smallannoyed:)

I'm pretty sure you can stack a Dispelling Cord on top of that as well.

Fixed typo.

herrhauptmann
2009-07-06, 03:46 PM
Huh. I missed the part about it becoming immune to rust and acid.

Yeah, that DC 14 reflex save is already pretty useless by the time you can afford to put it on a weapon. But the "secondary" ability of everbright is more than worth it.
Same with blueshine armor. +2 on hide? Whoop-de-do. Armor is now immune to rust/acid? Awesome.

ColdSepp
2009-07-06, 05:45 PM
I like Transmuting and Collision (+5 Damage) both in the MiC.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-07-06, 06:05 PM
If you have the cash, and no person in the party to cast haste, the 'speed' enhancement is always good (SRD). Expensive (+3 cost), but gives you an extra attack at yer highest attack bonus (like Haste). Always good for getting in some beasts face.

Collision is also a good choice. If you are running 3.5, I recommend a wounding weapon. See SRD (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsAW.html#weapons).

quick_comment
2009-07-06, 07:01 PM
If you have the cash, and no person in the party to cast haste, the 'speed' enhancement is always good (SRD). Expensive (+3 cost), but gives you an extra attack at yer highest attack bonus (like Haste). Always good for getting in some beasts face.

Collision is also a good choice. If you are running 3.5, I recommend a wounding weapon. See SRD (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsAW.html#weapons).

Speed is actually quite terrible, as it doesnt stack with haste, valiant fury, righteous wrath of the faithful or any of the other spells that grant extra attacks. Your +3 is much better spent on lots of other things.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-07-06, 07:12 PM
Speed is actually quite terrible, as it doesnt stack with haste, valiant fury, righteous wrath of the faithful or any of the other spells that grant extra attacks. Your +3 is much better spent on lots of other things.

Sorry, I don't know what any of those spells are besides haste. Must I put in all of my posts that I am a melee player? :smallconfused:

Eldariel
2009-07-06, 07:17 PM
Sorry, I don't know what any of those spells are besides haste. Must I put in all of my posts that I am a melee player? :smallconfused:

They're from Spell Compendium. Also, you could just get Boots of Speed for far less than Speed-weapon, and it comes with the +30' movement speed and To Hit & AC buffs too. Oh, and that doesn't count against your +10 weapon maximum ability limitation.

Keld Denar
2009-07-06, 07:18 PM
As a melee player, you should be ACUTELY aware of those spells. They are, minus Haste, divine spells castable by your friendly neighborhood cleric/favoredsoul that make you a melee god amongst men. RRotF in particular is an AoE buff that ONLY benefits melee as far as the bonus attack/round. Its worded funny, but apparently discriminates against archers and throwers. Oh well. Valiant Fury is FREAKIN AMAZING with its extra attack, and +4 MORAL BONUS TO STR and CON!!!!! Moral bonuses to stats are almost unheard of, and are only accessable from less than a handful of places. Unfortunately, Valiant Fury appears ONLY on the Courage domain spell list, so most clerics won't have it, although any archivist worth his salt should pick it up at earliest convenience. Your allies will have a meleegasm over it, and guess what...its CHAINABLE.