PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder]Humans get a Martial Weapon Proficiency?

warmachine
2009-07-06, 06:23 AM
A DM wants to run Pathfinder in September, so I looked at the Pathfinder beta. I noticed that Humans get proficiency in a martial weapon of their choice in addition to any granted by class. This can lead to thematic abuses. Why would a Human Rogue, Sorcerer or Wizard, who don't get shield proficiency, bother with a dagger, rapier or spear when they can get a greatsword?

Or do I have an aborted version of the beta?

Fishy
2009-07-06, 06:34 AM
Why would a Human Rogue, Sorcerer or Wizard, who don't get shield proficiency, bother with a dagger, rapier or spear when they can get a greatsword?

For exactly the same reason you see every Elven Rogue, Sorcerer and Wizard running around with a longbow and longsword.

Wait, what?

bosssmiley
2009-07-06, 08:13 AM
A DM wants to run Pathfinder in September, so I looked at the Pathfinder beta. I noticed that Humans get proficiency in a martial weapon of their choice in addition to any granted by class. This can lead to thematic abuses. Why would a Human Rogue, Sorcerer or Wizard, who don't get shield proficiency, bother with a dagger, rapier or spear when they can get a greatsword?

Elric, Kane, Thulsa Doom, Gandalf, most of the wizards in Vance's Dying Earth, . How is a wizard wielding a sword [I]not thematically appropriate in a swords-and-sorcery setting (which Pathfinder's Golarion has clear pretensions to being)?

Mechanically I think it's just a 'placeholder that came to stay' gee-gaw for human characters. Pick culturally-appropriate weapon; wield it; don't sweat the non-proficiency penalty.

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-06, 08:20 AM
As the above said. How can you have a problem with humans getting a single martial weapon proficiency when elven wizards have been slipping through the early levels with composite longbows for years?

obnoxious
sig

warmachine
2009-07-06, 09:03 AM
I will confess that I don't read fantasy novels or watch fantasy TV series, so my knowledge of the fantasy genre comes from the default Greyhawk D&D 3.5.

Leon
2009-07-06, 09:04 AM
Because not everyone cares to have the biggest honking sword, a shortsword may well fit what they want for the idea that they have

I have PC concept that I'm holding onto till i get the chance to play it, one of the feats it has allows for the choice of one martial weapon - i chose Great Club and retooled its flavor into a War Staff (Quarterstaffs big 2H brother)
it could have been any martial weapon out there and the one that fitted the concept i have is the large lump of wood

Riffington
2009-07-06, 09:17 AM
Because not everyone cares to have the biggest honking sword, a shortsword may well fit what they want for the idea that they have

Right. The problem of "if I give my legionnaires shortswords and shields, will they be slaughtered by powerattacking barbarians with greataxes" is not specific to Pathfinder...

Leon
2009-07-06, 10:05 AM
Right. The problem of "if I give my legionnaires shortswords and shields, will they be slaughtered by powerattacking barbarians with greataxes" is not specific to Pathfinder...

No idea what your point is in relation to mine

Duke of URL
2009-07-06, 10:19 AM
As far as the rogue is concerned, two simple words: Weapon Finesse.