PDA

View Full Version : V's Soul

Code Black
2009-07-06, 10:25 AM
Reading over the agreement with the fiends, it comes to mind that they never said they'd wait until V's death to take their end of the deal.

V immediately assumed that they'd claim hir immortal soul after death, and they denied it, saying that they'd claim hir soul for a set amount of time, but not ever actually saying that it would be after death, letting V assume that for hirself.

I'm not sure what they could do with V's soul (and hir vacant body) while V is alive, but none of it can be good, especially if their side of the deal is claimed at just the inopportune time.

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-06, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I think the suggestion is they will enact on their investment while V is still alive, and probably close to a gate.

The interesting thing, though, is that the IFCC is acting on the same faulty information everyone except Redcloak is. It would be interesting if whatever they try fails spectacularly, but still has a negative impact on all the other players.

Quild
2009-07-06, 10:41 AM
I thought when V was in trouble that the fiends won't let this happen because they need V alive.
But a friend told me that the fiends need V's soul and not to possess V's body as I thought (dunno why ^^).
=>end of first page
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html

So I was surprised when an IFCC says that this whole thing would have been just a waste of time if V die.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0656.html

I wonder how the fiends expect to use V's soul. Want to bound it to them for the allowed time ? Would not be really useful.
I think too that V doesn't expect to pay for "her" deal before "she" die, but "she"'s of course wrong :x.

zql
2009-07-06, 10:47 AM
The interesting thing, though, is that the IFCC is acting on the same faulty information everyone except Redcloak is.

Could you be more specific?

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-06, 10:51 AM
Could you be more specific?

It involves Start of Darkness spoilers:

Xykon believes, and the good guys assume, that the ritual will give the caster control over the Snarl, and render it a superweapon they can use to get whatever they want. The truth is, the ritual gives control of the Gate, not the Snarl, and it actually gives control to Redcloak's Deity, The Dark One. It's his intention to open the gate in a couple of Gods' cribs, watch them get slaughtered, and then hold the remaining gods to ransom to force a better deal for the goblinoid races.

Since the IFCC heard this from Sabine, and Sabine heard it from Nale who heard it from Shojo who assumed this to be the case, this indicates they're not playing with the full picture.

pflare
2009-07-06, 10:55 AM
V was sleep (or tranced) deprived at the time and assumed the Directors meant that they got hir soul after V died. The Directors didn't correct V because they wanted hir to take the deal.
They're probably going to take over V when s/he is close to one of the Gates. They've probably been waiting for the opertunity since Sabine told them about the gate.

Jaltum
2009-07-06, 10:56 AM
It's interesting that the fiends don't know about the gates. Suggests to me that they're distinct from the evil gods. I wonder where they came from. And does that apply to the angels/celestials we've seen, too?

NerfTW
2009-07-06, 11:22 AM
I think that is the case. The gods created the fiends, celestials, demons, etc along with the world. They didn't think about fiends taking control of the gates because they didn't know about the tears until recently (66 years ago)

Also, they presumably believe that any threats posed by the gates can be dealt with by simply destroying the world and remaking it.

David Argall
2009-07-06, 12:56 PM
It's interesting that the fiends don't know about the gates. Suggests to me that they're distinct from the evil gods. I wonder where they came from. And does that apply to the angels/celestials we've seen, too?

The strip is assuming somewhat ignorant gods, who may have all sorts of knowledge by mortal standards, but still have loads of blind spots. While one would assume the knowledge would have reached them, it is not clear that any of the gods besides the Dark One even know of the rifts or the gates.

Jaltum
2009-07-06, 01:14 PM
The evil gods know about the Snarl, though, even if they don't know about the gates. It seems as though the entire story was news to at least Sabine, if not the fiends. Although I guess since their intentions towards the gates haven't been made clear yet, it's hard to be sure.

HandofShadows
2009-07-06, 03:08 PM
I think that the evil gods know about as much about the gates as the neutral and good gods do. To paraphras Hojo, "Evil, not stupid". All the gods know that Snarl is cannot be controled and is more than capable of killing them. Evil gods don't want to die either.

Thanatosia
2009-07-06, 10:36 PM
The strip is assuming somewhat ignorant gods, who may have all sorts of knowledge by mortal standards, but still have loads of blind spots. While one would assume the knowledge would have reached them, it is not clear that any of the gods besides the Dark One even know of the rifts or the gates.
If the Order of the Scrible did not learn of the Snarl's backstory from the dieties somehow, where did they gain the knowledge to pass on to shojo to pass on to the Order in the Crayons of Time comics? Clearly the Order of the Scrible stumbled upon the Rifts without forknowledge of them (Soon's Wife & Lirion's missing bears), but I somehow doubt they could have deciphered the origins of the Rifts (including knowledge of the Greek Pantheon of the East, and the world the snarl destroyed, down to the curiously precise detail that it took 27 minutes to destroy it) without some first-hand knowledge given to them.

And I can't see any reason for the dieties to impart such knowledge unto the Order of the Scrible, knowledge that they had made a deliberate decision to keep from mortals, unless the Order of the Scrible cued them into the existance of the Rifts. I also doubt a Holy Order like the Sapphire guard could dedicate itself to defending a rift without their patron dieties getting wind of it somewhere along the line.

Unless explicitly stated elsewhere, I'd strongly assume that the dieties know of the Rifts, tho I do agree that OOTS dieties fall far short of omniscience.

factotum
2009-07-07, 01:22 AM
Actually, Shojo was getting his information about what might be done to the gates from his own magic-users--he said something like "It is theorised that the presence of the gate might allow the Snarl to be controlled in some way.".

Bibliomancer
2009-07-07, 08:18 PM
I thought when V was in trouble that the fiends won't let this happen because they need V alive.
But a friend told me that the fiends need V's soul and not to possess V's body as I thought (dunno why ^^).
=>end of first page
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html

So I was surprised when an IFCC says that this whole thing would have been just a waste of time if V die.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0656.html

I wonder how the fiends expect to use V's soul. Want to bound it to them for the allowed time ? Would not be really useful.
I think too that V doesn't expect to pay for "her" deal before "she" die, but "she"'s of course wrong :x.

The fact that V needs to be alive indicates that the fiends need to use her to do something in the real world, an area that powerful fiends aren't allowed into under normal circumstances. The leading theory seems to be that they will use V to take over a gate...somehow?

dps
2009-07-07, 08:58 PM
Since the IFCC heard this from Sabine, and Sabine heard it from Nale who heard it from Shojo who assumed this to be the case, this indicates they're not playing with the full picture.

Actually, Shojo didn't tell Nale or anyone else what Redcloak's plan for the gates is. Indeed, there is no indication that he knows anything of the plan. He's merely aware that it might be possible for someone to get possesion of a gate and releasing the power of the Snarl in a more controlled manner, and that Xykon and Redcloak appear to be attempting to do so. He has no idea about their motives or means.

the_tick_rules
2009-07-08, 12:06 PM
Hmm, use V's soul while she is still alive? What a strange idea.