PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by #256: Boots of Ridiculous Speed

moryath
2005-12-14, 12:05 PM
Thog got rocket boots.

Yay Thog!

However, as good gamers, we need to stat this item!

I'm thinking the following:
=================
Boots of Ridiculous Speed
classification: Wondrous Item (like all boots)

Effect: When activated, Boots of Ridiculous Speed quadruple the wearer's base movement rate and grant the Spring Attack feat.

What do you guys think - Cost? Restrictions? Base spells for creation?

The_Werebear
2005-12-14, 12:18 PM
Expeditous retreat and haste are needed for certain.

bosssmiley
2005-12-14, 12:22 PM
Restrictions: 1/day, or by charges perhaps? Maybe they need to be fuelled with alchemical fire.

To activate, click heels together three times and say the command word "Wheeeeeeee!"

Cursed version: Command word is a common part of speech (the, and, if, then) or a counter-intuitive word (slowly, quiet, stay).

;D

Democratus
2005-12-14, 01:22 PM
I think they should have a slightly different name.

Boots of Ludicrous Speed

Those movie geeks on the board will know why. :)

Some_Guy
2005-12-14, 01:29 PM
Maybe some rule affecting turn rate. (Or lack thereof)

The idea is for it to be silly and crazy-awesome, not melee-with-impunity, right? ;)

EDIT: Maybe it doubles the charge rate instead of quadrupling normal movement, but allows you to make your attack at any point along the path of travel. Or does that stink too much of house-ruling?

EDIT2: Also, you should just give it a (high) set movement rate, lowered by encumbrance. Otherwise you've got monks tooling around at 320 feet per round or something. :P

valadil
2005-12-14, 01:49 PM
I definitely agree that it should have a set movement rate. You're being propelled by the rockets, not your own legs. Your legs are busy trying to not fall off the rockets.

To make the item powerful but more fun than abusable, I think the rockets should stay on for a set period of time and you move in one direction. Like, 5 rounds at 240ft/round (considering that that's twice the run speed of your average human). I wonder what would happen if you took them off any sweet ramps....

Elurindel
2005-12-14, 02:05 PM

Boots of Ludicrous Speed

"Ludicrous speed? This ship's never attempted ludicrous speed before!" :P

prufock
2005-12-14, 02:09 PM

Boots of Ludicrous Speed

"They've gone to plaid!"

Mephibosheth
2005-12-14, 02:17 PM
Perhaps an enhancement bonus to overrun attempts? It looked like Thog knocked those other girls out of the way with no trouble at all.

Maybe have it work like normal boots of speed, where you can move at an accelerated rate for a certain amount of time per day, but you can split that time up however you want.

Just my 2cp

Mephibosheth

Seffbasilisk
2005-12-14, 02:28 PM
Multiplies base speed by 4

Bonus to overrun, fueled on lamp oil (everything must run on lamp oil!), 3/day or there's a 5% cumulative chance it just explodes. DC: 15 balance check to stop DC: 10 to stand still.

No color is visible while using this boots. Only black and white.

Ludicrous Speed? It's gone black and white!

Uncle_Putte
2005-12-14, 02:36 PM
Rule that the user of the boots not only may, but MUST move the decreed distance per round. Combined with a low turn rate... Add a 5d6 (ref 1/2) bludgeoning damage penalty if the player has to end his movement prematurely due to a fixed object... kekekekeke... ;D

Add a large damage bonus for using a lance while using the boots? Or just generally a substantial charge bonus or something...

The Demented One
2005-12-15, 12:40 AM
"Ludicrous speed? This ship's never attempted ludicrous speed before!" :P

"What's wrong Colonel Sanders? Are you a chicken?"

Kulatu
2005-12-15, 01:48 AM
"What's wrong Colonel Sanders? Are you a chicken?"

"*In squeaky voice* Prepare the ship... *In normal voice...* Prepare the ship, for Ludicrous Speed!"

Reltzik
2005-12-15, 04:12 AM
When active, always count as running, as if with the Run feat, with all the effects thereof (attacks of opportunity, 5x speed, etc) save fatigue. Must move full distance each round while boots are active. Any large intermediary obstacle must be successfully overrun or the user "wipes out". The wielder gains the Spring Attack feat while the boots are active. Uneven terrain and turning require a balance check to keep from wiping out. (Hmm. Actually, maybe we could substitute flying creature maneuverability for turning? It seems to fit.) Wiping out causes [base speed / 5 ft]d6 damage. Tripping the wielder automatically causes a wipe out. Grapples by or against the wielder which succeed but do not do so by +8 cause both the wielder and his fellow grappler to wipe out. If they succeed by +8, they are grappled and moving at the run speed.

Seraph
2005-12-15, 07:21 AM
constant acceleration.

300 charges, 1 charge/round.

after accelerating for 50 rounds straight, the character must fort save or burst into flame.

100 rounds+, they reach escape velocity.

MagFlare
2005-12-15, 09:34 AM
I definitely agree that it should have a set movement rate. You're being propelled by the rockets, not your own legs. Your legs are busy trying to not fall off the rockets.

To make the item powerful but more fun than abusable, I think the rockets should stay on for a set period of time and you move in one direction. Like, 5 rounds at 240ft/round (considering that that's twice the run speed of your average human). I wonder what would happen if you took them off any sweet ramps....

You'd take a little spill at the sand dunes and break your coxxyx.

Sacrath
2005-12-15, 12:40 PM
Make them move 320 feet on their own. You have to move the full distance while using them, damage if you hit anything (5d6 sounds good). You may attack as if you were mounted while using the boots, and act as charging for the purposes of mounted feats. These boots do not grant the ability to use a heavy lance in one hand, however.

Haste, Expedious Retreat or Longstrider. Dunno about the pricing though.

richelieu
2005-12-15, 03:53 PM
Anybody ever play Morrowind? That game had the Boots of Blinding Speed, which increased your speed stat to ludicrous levels, but turned the whole screen dark so you had to navigate by the automap. Great fun, those. Shout out to Morrowind players!

jdrich
2005-12-15, 07:36 PM
From the SRD [Psionics]:

Boots of Skating

These boots allow the wearer to slide along the ground at will as if using the skate power.

Faint psychoportation; ML 1st; Craft Universal Item, skate; Price 7,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Rocket skates might improve the speed enhancement, but the item has already been created.

Archonic Energy
2005-12-16, 01:59 AM
why am i suddenly thinking about sudden braking... and bent helmets :)

Darkie
2005-12-16, 02:41 AM
"A BRANCH!" "HOW HIGH?" "NOT HIGH EN-*WHAM*"

ninja_kitsune
2005-12-16, 02:58 PM
I like the "powered by lamp oil" thought...... hmmm...... someone should come up with a way to let them propel you across rivers and casms.

Rain_T._Poaa
2005-12-16, 03:43 PM
Nice ideas everybody, but allow me to give you the engeneering point of veiw.

Since they are rocket boots powered by rockets, your speed has no effect on them.
Also, while active, you can move only in straight line (charge!).

Cartoon colorarity: while active, gain bonus to your strenght while crashing trough doors, walls, etc.
2nd colorarity: when flying of the cliff, they have chance to stop in mid air (inertia has no effect), thus plunging straight down.

Kalbereth
2005-12-16, 04:19 PM
I have boots of escaping! I have boots of escaping!!

*BANG*

You can't shoot me! I'm the Demon Lord of Conquest!

Jural
2005-12-16, 04:42 PM
Needs the following, but doesn't have to be a magic item- just a gnomish contraption:

1) A chance of not working.

2) The inability to maneuver.

I think it's a winner, especially for a campaign with some comedic elements (intentionally comedic.)

Ealstan
2005-12-16, 08:39 PM
I actually played a gnomish artificer (faerun version) a while back, and he had some kickin' alchemical speed boots. Never thought to make them rocket powered though... :'(

Question is, how'd Thog stop?

talonos
2005-12-20, 09:04 PM
He's a barbarian. 5d6 damage is nothing to him.

<smack!> "Thog sorry break wall."

Seffbasilisk
2005-12-20, 09:16 PM
or it ran out of lamp oil and slowly slowed down. (this IS a wizard's college. Extradimensional spaces to make the buildings bigger? No problem!)

bosssmiley
2005-12-20, 09:31 PM
I have boots of escaping! I have boots of escaping!!

*BANG*

You can't shoot me! I'm the Demon Lord of Conquest!
Have you been drinking the boot fuel again Kalbereth? What did I tell you about that last time? :)

Darkie
2005-12-20, 10:32 PM
You'd take a little spill at the sand dunes and break your coxxyx.What's a coxxyx?
???

Gerrtt
2005-12-20, 10:35 PM
The fancy name for that bone in your arse.

The_Werebear
2005-12-20, 11:53 PM
Hehe, hitting a ramp at 52 feet per second...