PDA

View Full Version : Living with a broken foot

afroakuma
2009-07-06, 02:22 PM
As the title implies, I broke my left foot yesterday and have been trying to figure out how to operate with a heavy plaster cast.

Primary questions:

• Hygiene - plastic bags, elastics and prayer? How have you handled showers?

• Stairs - there are two flights between me and food, and the tradeoff for permanent migration would be all forms of entertainment. Best way to navigate?

• Mobile suit - currently using a cane as an assistive device, and every "hop" is jarring. Which have you had more success/less pain with, crutches or cane, or some secret third option?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-06, 02:26 PM
Secret solution: Make a retour trip to move all the foods to the same floor as your entertainment.

Faulty
2009-07-06, 02:29 PM
You could bathe rather than shower, with your left leg sticking away from the water.

LCR
2009-07-06, 02:47 PM
When I used to have various issues with the ligaments in my right foot, I just hopped everywhere on my left leg. Looks stupid, but it is much faster than using a cane. Going downstairs is easier than upstairs, obviously.

Telonius
2009-07-06, 02:52 PM
• Stairs - there are two flights between me and food, and the tradeoff for permanent migration would be all forms of entertainment. Best way to navigate?

- Install a dumbwaiter.
- Bribe/blackmail/threaten your sibling.
- Train an animal to do it for you. (see previous)
- Get a mini-fridge and hot pad for your room, and fill up once in a while. Also provides training for college (if you haven't been there already).

afroakuma
2009-07-06, 03:23 PM
- Install a dumbwaiter.

Man, if I could install a dumbwaiter, I would probably have the mad skillz needed top avoid this thread altogether.

- Bribe/blackmail/threaten your sibling.

As we're both in university, there's not a thing I could do to effectively manage any of those.

- Train an animal to do it for you. (see previous)

I'm pretty sure the cats have been training me to do these things for them.

- Get a mini-fridge and hot pad for your room, and fill up once in a while. Also provides training for college (if you haven't been there already).

That's a pretty solid idea; only thing is, I can't carry stuff upstairs. Still, if I could get someone to lackey for a day...

BizzaroStormy
2009-07-06, 03:35 PM
I've found that crutches (yes both of them) seem to be the best way to get around other than a wheelchair.

As for the stairs, I would sit on them and slide down one by one and do the same in reverse for going up.

For bathing, you could probably do plastic wrap and duct tape (maksing tape or you have really hairy legs) and like it was said before, take a bath, not a shower. you wouldn't want to slip and break something...else. I'm suprised your doctor didnt cover some of this when you got the cast.

afroakuma
2009-07-06, 03:49 PM
I've found that crutches (yes both of them) seem to be the best way to get around other than a wheelchair.

Crutches, eh?

As for the stairs, I would sit on them and slide down one by one and do the same in reverse for going up.

That's what I've been doing; the trouble is righting myself on the dismount.

For bathing, you could probably do plastic wrap and duct tape (maksing tape or you have really hairy legs) and like it was said before, take a bath, not a shower. you wouldn't want to slip and break something...else. I'm suprised your doctor didnt cover some of this when you got the cast.

My shower has a bench in it for sitting, and the doctor did go over the plastic wrap approach.

Ichneumon
2009-07-06, 03:52 PM
When I broke my leg I used to use big, bin bags, you know, for garbage bins and put my leg in it and ty it with an elastic band to keep it from getting wet. It really worked.

Keld Denar
2009-07-06, 03:56 PM
Yea, crutches are incredibly useful and the lowest impact on your injured leg. They are a little jarring on your healthy foot, but your body absorbs most of the impact to make it less painful on your hurt foot. Also, see about getting a temporary handicap sticker for your own/roomate's car. The difference between walking 20 feet from your car into a store and 100 feet is pretty big on crutches. You should be able to get one at a local government-type office. Maybe inquire with your doctor.

I'd suggest the above. Get a mini-fridge and a hot plate. Also, your diet may change a for a bit to things that can be delivered. That helps, if you can afford it. You'd be surpised how many places deliver. This saves you on hobbling about to do dishes and prepare food.

As far as bathing goes, sponge baths work. They are VERY time consuming, and rather annoying, but the least likely to cause issues with your cast. If you primarily wash the areas that accumulate sweat (armpits and groin) with a sponge bath, you could get away with having a regular bath much less frequently. You can get a decent sized rubbermaid bussing tub (about 24"x15"x12") at any grocery or goods store like a Wal-Mart or Target. I hope you have a tub style bath, as sitting in it with your hurt foot projecting from it is about the best way. I would not recommend showering even with a covered cast. Mist has a nasty way of getting anywhere it wants, regardless of your best efforts. You don't want to get your cast wet, as this can cause it to develope a funky oder.

Get better AA! How long do they estimate you down for?

afroakuma
2009-07-06, 04:10 PM
Yea, crutches are incredibly useful and the lowest impact on your injured leg. They are a little jarring on your healthy foot, but your body absorbs most of the impact to make it less painful on your hurt foot.

I'll mention it to a nearby lackey. I'd rather not emulate Dr. House anymore than my personality does. :smalltongue:

Also, see about getting a temporary handicap sticker for your own/roomate's car. The difference between walking 20 feet from your car into a store and 100 feet is pretty big on crutches.

Ooh, that's a good idea; should see if I can do that.

I hope you have a tub style bath, as sitting in it with your hurt foot projecting from it is about the best way.

Yeah, there's one on the second floor. I guess I'll be employing its services.

Get better AA! How long do they estimate you down for?

Well, according to the doctors I wrenched off part of my talus, which is still in there. If it resets itself, then I just need clearance at orthopedics and I'll be back up in a week. If not, surgery to remove it and... could be longer. :smallannoyed:

Deathslayer7
2009-07-06, 04:11 PM
I sprained (almost broken) my ankle before. It was horrible. I myself used crutches. A lot easier to get around and less painful on the foot. I had a flight of stairs in my old house as well.

Going up I used my knees rather then feet, and climbed up on all fours. Going down was a lot harder though. I slid down using my butt. There's just no easy way to get down stairs.

I also left my crutches at the bottom of the stairs and just used my knees to get around upstairs so I didn't have to worry about dragging them up and down.

thubby
2009-07-06, 04:19 PM
I've never broken a leg, but i have turned my hands into all kinds of mush. for hygiene i vote bags and duct (or otherwise water proof) tape. elastics are wimpy, just be sure to keep the rest of the leg hair free.

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-06, 09:01 PM
Use cling film for your showers instead of plastic bags. Several layers, perfectly watertight.

afroakuma
2009-07-06, 09:12 PM
That's like Saran wrap? Sticky plastic that grabs onto anything and everything, including itself?

Lupy
2009-07-06, 09:14 PM
I think it's static electricity (that makes it stick) rather than sticky stuff though.

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-06, 09:20 PM
That's like Saran wrap? Sticky plastic that grabs onto anything and everything, including itself?

Exactly. Especially itself. And Lupy is right: it clings via static electricity, so no goop involved.

afroakuma
2009-07-06, 10:05 PM
I'm familiar with the mechanism of action, but that stuff clings tight enough to undergo fusion. :smalltongue:

Thanks, all, for your suggestions so far!

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-07-06, 10:32 PM
Okay, afroakuma...When it comes to foot injuries, I'm your barbarian monk...

For hygiene, I sincerely recommend AVOIDING water as much as possible. The inside of that cast gets wet, it's gonna drive you nuts. With a little time and a lot of privacy, you can put something like these (http://www.playtexproductsinc.com/wetones/wo_bigOnes.asp) to good use. Don't just wipe with anything like this. Scrub! One for each arm, including underarms; one for front torso; one for your back (if you can reach it); one for...ummm...forward private areas, and another for your...flank; one for each leg, including your feet...although the cast may make it hard, try to clean what's exposed of the broken foot, and be gentle with that one. A cheat to buying the wipes is to buy antibacterial gel and use that with paper towels to scrub your skin.

Believe it or not, with that method, your hardest task will be grooming your head. I was able to balance careful at a sink for some time and wash my hair there, as well as the whole shaving and face washing thing. DO NOT wash your face with the antibacterial stuff after shaving! They usually have a bit of alcohol, and it will STING!

With the above methods, I was able to go a month without a shower (after surgery) in the midst of an Arizona summer, and I never offended a single nose. :smallsmile:

However, if you MUST shower, get two items of some soft material that are lengthy and a sturdy garbage bag. (I was actually able to use a pair of old tee shirts for this trick.) As you do this, BE CAREFUL NOT TO SET ANYTHING TOO TIGHTLY! Circulation is paramount, and you don't want to cut it off. Tuck one item into the top of the cast. Tie the other around your leg, but DON'T knot it! Now put the garbage bag over this entire thing as tightly as you can...SAFELY!

When you hit the shower, the real trick becomes trying to avoid getting that leg under running water. Yes, a bath would be easier, but some people don't enjoy soaking like that. Don't panic if you do happen to occasionally swing your leg under the running water, though, as those two cloth items should absorb anything that gets past the garbage bag. :smallsmile:

Little trick for resting/pain issues...Find a nice thick cushion (from a couch or something) and put it between the mattress and boxspring of your bed. This is a more effective way of elevating your leg than propping it on a pillow. Should you fall asleep, you can kick the pillow from your bed. But a cushion elevating the end of the bed means your foot will be elevated all the time, whenever you rest, no matter what position you're in. This will help in reducing any swelling and pain you experience.

BIG TIP: Never, ever, under any circumstances, regardless of what you think might be safe, should you stuff ANYTHING down the cast in order to scratch an itch. It's too easy to accidentally scratch/cut yourself, and the inside of a cast is a bacterial playground. I honestly have no answers as to what you should do for an itch; I recommend if it becomes to much to handle that you call your doctor.

That's all I got for now. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. (So speaketh Bor, breaker of his own feet! :smallconfused: )

Erothayce
2009-07-06, 10:38 PM
When my foot was broken i was given a foam/rubber shoe thing from my doctor and told to walk around.When I had to shower i wrapped the whole thing in plastic wrap and took a quick shower. Pretty much did that for every bone I've broken.

Lupy
2009-07-07, 11:59 AM
I gave this a little thought yesterday while bathing, and I had a thought.

Buy a rubbermaid container* big enough for you to comfortably sit in, and one in the next size up. The smaller one should fit in the bigger one and not touch the edges.

Put the bigger one in the middle of your bathroom, and get all your shampoo and soap and stuff next to it so that you can reach it. Now get your roommate or whoever is checking in on you to fill the smaller one with however much water you need to take a bath, and then put it in the bigger one. You can stick your injured leg over the edge of both containers (and rest the foot on the floor) and bathe yourself, any water you spill will go into the bigger tub rather than on the floor.

Hope this helps.

*Like people use to store things in. They have them at Walmart/store of your choice.

afroakuma
2009-07-08, 10:52 PM
Alright, I'm on day 3 and a few new issues have cropped up:

• Itching. Do I just have to live with it, or is there a solution?

• Sleep. Not... really getting any. I normally sleep on my side or my front, and now I'm stuck on my back. Any suggestions?

• Tingling/twitching. The muscles in my leg are starting to feel weird and it's pretty distracting. Is this normal?

Lupy
2009-07-08, 11:44 PM
As for sleep, can you sleep on your side with your legs splayed? This is how I sleep.

Partof1
2009-07-09, 12:02 AM
For the itching, my friend stuck an air compressor in the end of the cast. got the dust and dead skin out of it.

Shraik
2009-07-09, 12:32 AM
I would not suggest hopping everywhere, because last time I tried that, the leg I was hoping on bent in a direction it's not supposed to at the knee. I didn't break or dislocate it but I did something because it still hurts after about 2 weeks.

As the shower goes, they make things(I think for old people) who can't really stand around in the shower. It's a different noozle attached to a hose.

and Mini Fridge, if you have someone to move it, for the food/entertainment issue. Otherwise waterslide down the stairs(not seriously)

Sereg
2009-07-09, 12:36 AM
When I broke my foot the itching drove me crazy! One thing that I did was to scratch the cast and imagine that I could feel my fingers. It actually helped (very little admittadely). Also, I can't remeber if it was me or a friend that did this but sticking a ruler down the cast to scratch is supposed to help but be careful! I lost a lot of cotton wool at the edges of my cast. Trust me, you do not want that to happen. It causes a lot of chaffing that takes a while to recover once the cast has been removed.

Other than that most of this advice is sound. I also used crutches to get around.

Juhn
2009-07-09, 11:25 PM
Alright, I'm on day 3 and a few new issues have cropped up:

• Itching. Do I just have to live with it, or is there a solution?

• Sleep. Not... really getting any. I normally sleep on my side or my front, and now I'm stuck on my back. Any suggestions?

• Tingling/twitching. The muscles in my leg are starting to feel weird and it's pretty distracting. Is this normal?

Every time my legs have been casted I've had to deal with these (never broken a bone, but I have had surgeries and medical injections and other lovely cerebral-palsy-related things), and if I'm remembering correctly I was just stuck dealing with it. I've never broken a bone and I don't walk normally (again, cerebral palsy), so I probably can't help you with the tingling/twitching thing. I had severe muscle spasms, but that was the source of make-you-sweat-bullets-until-you-pass-out-from-the-agony caliber pain, not tingling or twitching, which I would hope is not quite as severe. I remember that being less than fun. As far as itching goes, you pretty much just have to deal. As far as sleep goes, you get used to it.

Perenelle
2009-07-22, 04:59 PM
okay, I've broken my ankle 4 or 5 times (pretty sad i cant remember the exact number, but it was atleast 4), and broken my finger 3 times. so I've had a bunch of those annoying castes. :smallannoyed: here's what I did:

when you take showers, I suggest you use those giant black garbage bags. it looks really weird but it works. put your foot in the bag, and tie the bag around your knee and then take some duck tape and wrap it around the knot and around the top part of the bag, sealing it off. let the duck tape continue up your leg about 2 or 3 inches because it makes it more water tight. when you finish showering, you can either peel the tape off or you could cut the bag off. I normally just ripped it all off.

as for the stairs: dont bother trying to use a cane up a flight of stairs, it just doesnt work. If you can, I found that for me the easiest way to get up stairs was by sitting on one of the steps, and then lifting myself up with my arms and good leg onto the next step. so basically lifting and sitting your way to the top. then you dont have to worry about falling backwards or anything, and its pretty easy to do. when you're going down the stairs, just do the same thing except sit down and sort of slide your way down. (now dont go sliding down the stairs or anything as fast as you can, not a good idea). take your time and it not only keeps you safer, but you can get down the stairs pretty fast when your sitting down as apposed to standing up.

Honestly I think you'd be better off with crutches. then you dont have the impact sent through your body from hitting the ground every step. with the crutches the impact goes into your arms and you're less likely to "accidentally" use your bad foot to walk and the cast wont get in the way as much.

as for itching, my orthopedics suggested to befriend rulers! :smallbiggrin: dont use the stiff plastic or wood ones, because they can cut you or get stuck inside the caste if they snap. use the flexible plastic ones, that bend a little and are really thin. you can hold on to one end and scratch your leg with the end of it. dont use this if you're standing up, sit on your bed or something with your leg out in front of you and do it that way so you dont accidentally drop the ruler and have it fall into your cast. with your leg elevated, it wont fall.

I used to get tingling in my leg when I had casts. it was very annoying. I highly doubt the cast is cutting off your circulation, because orthopedics normally know what they're doing when it comes to casts. I wouldnt worry too much about it, there's nothing you can really do about it. if it really starts bothering you i suggest you see a doctor because they might have a solution.

and finally, as for sleep: I have no suggestions for that. You just have to get used to it pretty much. I know, it sucks, but eventually you'll find a comfortable position to sleep in. whats comfortable for me may not work for you so i dunno what to tell you.

so there's my suggestions. good luck! :smallsmile:

Parlity
2009-07-22, 06:00 PM
Great suggestions in here. I heard that skiing poles or hiking sticks work better than canes too.

Szilard
2009-07-22, 06:27 PM
Okay, best solution: Waterproof casts. When my siblings broke their bones, they got these instead of regular casts.

V'icternus
2009-07-22, 08:46 PM
okay, I've broken my ankle 4 or 5 times (pretty sad i cant remember the exact number, but it was atleast 4), and broken my finger 3 times. so I've had a bunch of those annoying castes. :smallannoyed: here's what I did:

when you take showers, I suggest you use those giant black garbage bags. it looks really weird but it works. put your foot in the bag, and tie the bag around your knee and then take some duck tape and wrap it around the knot and around the top part of the bag, sealing it off. let the duck tape continue up your leg about 2 or 3 inches because it makes it more water tight. when you finish showering, you can either peel the tape off or you could cut the bag off. I normally just ripped it all off.

as for the stairs: dont bother trying to use a cane up a flight of stairs, it just doesnt work. If you can, I found that for me the easiest way to get up stairs was by sitting on one of the steps, and then lifting myself up with my arms and good leg onto the next step. so basically lifting and sitting your way to the top. then you dont have to worry about falling backwards or anything, and its pretty easy to do. when you're going down the stairs, just do the same thing except sit down and sort of slide your way down. (now dont go sliding down the stairs or anything as fast as you can, not a good idea). take your time and it not only keeps you safer, but you can get down the stairs pretty fast when your sitting down as apposed to standing up.

Honestly I think you'd be better off with crutches. then you dont have the impact sent through your body from hitting the ground every step. with the crutches the impact goes into your arms and you're less likely to "accidentally" use your bad foot to walk and the cast wont get in the way as much.

as for itching, my orthopedics suggested to befriend rulers! :smallbiggrin: dont use the stiff plastic or wood ones, because they can cut you or get stuck inside the caste if they snap. use the flexible plastic ones, that bend a little and are really thin. you can hold on to one end and scratch your leg with the end of it. dont use this if you're standing up, sit on your bed or something with your leg out in front of you and do it that way so you dont accidentally drop the ruler and have it fall into your cast. with your leg elevated, it wont fall.

I used to get tingling in my leg when I had casts. it was very annoying. I highly doubt the cast is cutting off your circulation, because orthopedics normally know what they're doing when it comes to casts. I wouldnt worry too much about it, there's nothing you can really do about it. if it really starts bothering you i suggest you see a doctor because they might have a solution.

and finally, as for sleep: I have no suggestions for that. You just have to get used to it pretty much. I know, it sucks, but eventually you'll find a comfortable position to sleep in. whats comfortable for me may not work for you so i dunno what to tell you.

so there's my suggestions. good luck! :smallsmile:

This. Late last year, my brother broke a leg and sprained an ankle after being hit by a car, and so I can safely say that these suggestions are woth looking at. Garbage bag over the cast, etc.

I find crutches to be the best when only one foot can't be used, rather than a cane. Use both, not just one.

Asside from that, sleeping tips: Do not, repeat, do NOT, sleep with a pet. Tht's just asking for trouble. Rest your leg on a pillow, and just lie there like that, try hard to think of something else, and eventually you'll drift off.

Asside from that, just stayt positive. My brother is up and jumping around now, and it hasn't even been a year since he awas hit full-on by a car. I'm sure you'll recover perfectly, and get through it fine.

Perenelle
2009-07-22, 10:21 PM
also next time (hopefully there wont be a next time), get a waterproof cast, they're worth it :smallwink: