PDA

View Full Version : Bag of Holding + Earthen Grasp?

MissK
2009-07-06, 03:13 PM
This is a question for the creatively minded -

So, a warlock has the "Earthen Grasp" invocation, meaning s/he can make a big, grappling arm out of sand or soil. One per round,in fact, that can be directed at any creature within their threat range. Great, right? Unless, of course, you're inside a building, when it's useless.

Question: could this warlock fill a bag of holding with dirt, then make the grappling arm pop out of it, a la Gaara from Naruto? Not only would this work inside a building, but it would look really awesome.

JeenLeen
2009-07-06, 03:16 PM

So, a warlock has the "Earthen Grasp" invocation, meaning s/he can make a big, grappling arm out of sand or soil. One per round,in fact, that can be directed at any creature within their threat range. Great, right? Unless, of course, you're inside a building, when it's useless.

Question: could this warlock fill a bag of holding with dirt, then make the grappling arm pop out of it, a la Gaara from Naruto? Not only would this work inside a building, but it would look really awesome.

Since anything in the bag is in nondimensional space, I don't think you can target it from outside the bag of holding, so it might not be able to count as the material or prerequisite for a spell. (I'm not familiar with the spell in question, I admit.)

You might be able to open the bag and let sand fall out, thus working like the spell. But that wouldn't be a free action while casting a spell, like getting material components from a component pouch is.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-06, 09:03 PM

I agree with JeenLeen that Earthen Grasp would not work with a bag of holding.

However the Gaara like character concept is a cool idea and not that overpowered, since Earthen Grasp is not that great. What you need is a "bag of earth" magic item that lets you cast Earthen Grasp from any location (and do nothing else).

It comes down to character wealth. That is, when is the first time that the character can afford such an item.

I would say off the top of my head and for no other reason than it sounds about right to me, that a "bag of earth" magic item that lets you cast Earthen Grasp from any location would cost about 20,000 gp.

That would put below the reach of most low level characters and make it a significant investment for mid-level characters.

TheCountAlucard
2009-07-06, 09:17 PM
What you need is a "bag of earth" magic item...How about a jar of dirt, instead? :smalltongue:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o230/Laralynzy/jarofdirt.jpg

Yeah, OP, I don't think it'd work from a bag of holding, but a mundane container or even a magic (but not extradimensional) one should be fine.

Heliomance
2009-07-07, 05:12 AM
Stick your hand inside the bag of holding. Voila, you have line of effect.

Cyclocone
2009-07-07, 05:22 AM
Surely there must be a "Decanter of Endless Dirt" statted somewhere?

Oh! or you could try to get an earth elemental cohort.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-07, 05:25 AM
Surely there must be a "Decanter of Endless Dirt" statted somewhere?

Oh! or you could try to get an earth elemental cohort.

Bottle of Endless Sand. Sandstorm 132, 21,600gp

EDIT: If you have a character concept that doesn't reasonably work within the mechanics you have access to. Ask to work out a homebrew solution with your DM.

Cyclocone
2009-07-07, 05:38 AM
Bottle of Endless Sand. Sandstorm 132, 21,600gp

So, could you combine it with the Decanter to make the Apparatus of Endless Mud?:smallbiggrin:

Jalor
2009-07-07, 05:55 AM
So, could you combine it with the Decanter to make the Apparatus of Endless Mud?:smallbiggrin:

Wait, doesn't water moving under fine sand make quicksand?

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-07, 06:30 AM
A portable hole full of sand would work.

obnoxious
sig

hewhosaysfish
2009-07-07, 09:47 AM
I can see one problem with this plan:

Your Bag of Holding then it only weighs somewhere between 15 and 60 lbs.
Even a 60lb bag is a lot lighter than the planet.
End result: the enemy is now running around with your Bag of Holding clamped to their body.
This is inconvenient but a lot less so than being pinned to the ground.
It may be more cost-effective to purchase a supply of tanglefoot bags or a rope of entangling.

Person_Man
2009-07-07, 02:03 PM
I second the use of the Bottle of Endless Sand from Sandstorm. In addition, there are a couple highly useful feats and spells that rely on the presence of loose sand/dirt/ash in the same book. For example Sand Dancer let's you make your enemy Save or be Blinded each turn that you Tumble across sand/whatever without spending an additional action (works very well with Standard Action Invocations or Tome of Battle manuevers or Manyshot). So tie a Bottle to your belt, turn it on, and just keep moving.