PDA

View Full Version : Theory about Durkon, V, Belkar, and death *Speculation rampant*

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-06, 03:33 PM
Alright so here's what I've been thinking -

Obviously, all speculation and it is about as likely as Pluto crashing into the Earth that it'll happen exactly as I'm predicting here; but...

We know Belkar is likely to die soon. We also know that Durkon eventually dies as a prerequisite for his going home; though nothing whatsoever says he can't be raised after that.

V was lightly hinted at being killled (the oracle's "As for the elf..." dealt with in another thread)...

So here's what I'm thinking:

They arrive at the next gate; and the IFCC takes control of V. In the ensuing battle, Durkon dies (probably right off the bat, with V tossing a save-or-suck spell); then Belkar goes after V. Belkar manages to kill V; but dies shortly thereafter.

V and Durkon get raised at a later date (V because someone figured out what was going on in the interim); but Belkar is left dead because he's patently evil and often times an anchor around the OOTS neck. (This may come after some 'real' character development of his; perhaps finally putting him in the Neutral or even Good camp... just in time to bite it and have no one actually believe he's worth rezzing... then again it's just as likely he's still a little hellion the whole way through.)

So all told; I'm thinking that the next time they're near a gate (likely Girard's), the OOTS is going to suffer significant casualties due to the IFCC's deal with V.

Again - just me speculating; nothing says it "will for sure absolutely" happen this way >.>b it's just what my brain is telling me seems right.

donkyhotay
2009-07-06, 03:46 PM
I disagree, I see two possibilities for belkar at the end of OOTS. The first is he is alive (again) and is the same as he was when he started (murdering people for fun and finding 2for1 sales on prostitutes). The second is he's dead and actively working to slaughter his way up the chain of command in the abyss.

veti
2009-07-06, 06:04 PM
Didn't the Giant say somewhere that the story would continue to track Belkar after his death? Much as it did for Roy?

There's not much point in doing that unless the Belkster's story is still somehow connected with the living characters - as in, he can influence what happens to them, or expects to.

I don't see Durkon refusing to res Belkar. But there are plenty of ways Belkar might die such that Durkon can't res him. The simplest would be "no body" (like Kubota) but others include "no diamonds", "soul trapped", "soul eaten" (although the Giant's hint, if I've remembered it correctly, seems to rule that out), or possibly even "no Durkon"...

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-06, 08:22 PM
Well there's nothing there that says they can't keep following Belkar after he dies hehe <@_@>b

Also, assuming it goes as I'm imagining, V and Durkon would both be dead before Belkar; so in this case, the primary refusal would probably be that of Roy and Haley to actually drag his corpse around. (I do find a hard time imagining Elan simply leaving Belkar's corpse for some reason though >.<)

But like I said, it's just a theory <@_@>b

Salty
2009-07-06, 08:59 PM
It's funny, I was just thinking about this earlier today.

You came close to my prediction, but I have some slght differences. I imagine that a fight will ensue vs. IFCC V, and I believe that the Gate will accidentally be broken. Belkar will use the opportunity to, in a character developing act of good, forces V into the snarl, destroying them both. Xykon finally catches up, is enraged by the destruction of the gate and attacks. Elan is knocked unconsious, and Durkon takes a fatal wound. A dues ex machina allows them to escape, but Durkon's body is left behind. Xykon ends up zombifying it, and it is at the head of the army during their assault on the Dwarven lands, fulfilling the prophecy. That does leave the Order rather small for the last part, though, so I don't know.

Kish
2009-07-06, 09:10 PM
Didn't the Giant say somewhere that the story would continue to track Belkar after his death? Much as it did for Roy?
No, he said that if Belkar had been killed by Miko, he would have followed Belkar to the afterlife, and lamented the lost opportunity to make afterlife jokes. Later, Roy died, and he used that to make afterlife jokes.

Jagos
2009-07-06, 09:19 PM

There's not much point in doing that unless the Belkster's story is still somehow connected with the living characters - as in, he can influence what happens to them, or expects to.

I don't see Durkon refusing to res Belkar. But there are plenty of ways Belkar might die such that Durkon can't res him. The simplest would be "no body" (like Kubota) but others include "no diamonds", "soul trapped", "soul eaten" (although the Giant's hint, if I've remembered it correctly, seems to rule that out), or possibly even "no Durkon"...

Actually he was lamenting the fact that he lost that opportunity when he was looking at Miko vs. Belkar.

-Edit- Dang ninjas