PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood Season 3

Kaelaroth
2009-07-06, 05:03 PM
Opinions? Thoughts? Speculations?

Personally, I really enjoyed the first episode, and was surprised to, really.

Lorn
2009-07-06, 07:35 PM
Just watched it.

Actively terrified.

Looking forward to second episode. Interested to see what happens to Jack.
I have no doubts he's survived, but I have huge doubts much exists of him below the chest... though to be honest, I do not know why the assassin didn't just cut his heart out or something and see what happens. Yeah, they want to take out the base, but that wouldn't be too hard when the person who is there 24/7 is gone.

We. Are. Coming.

Back.

thorgrim29
2009-07-06, 08:49 PM
the children of the earth thing?

Megatron46
2009-07-07, 02:38 AM
Yeah I thought it was pretty good too. Surprised to like it as well as I always thought Torchwood was a bit naff!

Captain Jack will survive I'm sure, but is this what will turn him into the giant floating head that is the Face of Bo?!.

Nah

comicshorse
2009-07-07, 08:15 PM
Two episodes in and I'm pleasantly surprised. I was lukewarm about the previous two series but this is grabbing me so far ( and nobody has had sex yet which has to be a record for Torchwood)

factotum
2009-07-08, 01:43 AM
Captain Jack will survive I'm sure, but is this what will turn him into the giant floating head that is the Face of Bo?!.

Time, I think. He said he'd found a grey hair, so he IS aging slowly...what happens when you age, but can't die?

Anyway, liking it so far. Pulling the giant concrete block containing Jack out of a wall using a JCB was great fun, although completely ludicrous of course...

Kaelaroth
2009-07-08, 11:53 AM
Anyway, liking it so far. Pulling the giant concrete block containing Jack out of a wall using a JCB was great fun, although completely ludicrous of course...

Yup, 'twas hilarious.

Aidan305
2009-07-08, 04:10 PM
I don't know why, but for some reason I'm getting the impression that the 456 are dolphins. I think it's the flippers.

So long, and thanks for all the kids.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-08, 05:40 PM
I have a guess as to who the 456 are:Macra. Seriously, hypnotic powers, check, crustacean claws, check, live off gas, check, obscured from view to prevent audience recognizing them to allow reveal, check...

comicshorse
2009-07-08, 06:55 PM
And my guess is : They're The Nimon and they have come again for their tribute. ( Overly dramatic methods and threat big enough to make us give up fourty scarifices as we did back in the 60's as shown in the flashback)

factotum
2009-07-09, 01:33 AM
I have a guess as to who the 456 are:Macra. Seriously, hypnotic powers, check, crustacean claws, check, live off gas, check, obscured from view to prevent audience recognizing them to allow reveal, check...

Only problem there is that we saw those in that episode with the eternal motorway journey, and they were HUGE--no way they'd fit into that little glass box.

I don't see why the 456 couldn't be a completely new alien we've never seen before...not everything has to come from an old Who episode!

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-09, 03:21 AM
When we saw them in the second doctor's tenure they where much smaller, about as big as that box.

I know not everything has to come from old Who, but I just think these might.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-09, 05:55 AM

My father, a highways engineer, seems to think it is not too implausible, plausible enough for TV anyway. He was impressed by the way it broke apart realistically for Hardened cement (note, it was not SET cement. Cement goes hard quite quickly but has about the strength of chalk. Setting takes a while, after which it is as strong as, well, cement.)

Technically it was a block of Cement, not Concrete. Concrete is full of aggregate to provide strength and structure. Concrete is an artificial Concretion.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-09, 04:38 PM
Ianto. :smallfrown:

factotum
2009-07-10, 01:46 AM
I'm wondering if this is going to be the last series of Torchwood:

They've destroyed the Torchwood Hub, Ianto is now dead, and Gwen is pregnant and thus probably would have to take a back seat at the very least; that leaves the total assets of Torchwood after this mini-series as Jack and a server at an unidentified location!

Lorn
2009-07-10, 04:30 AM
I'm wondering if this is going to be the last series of Torchwood:

They've destroyed the Torchwood Hub, Ianto is now dead, and Gwen is pregnant and thus probably would have to take a back seat at the very least; that leaves the total assets of Torchwood after this mini-series as Jack and a server at an unidentified location!

And Mickey/Martha/Lois who have been either implied to be joining or have been told "find us for a job." Plus, Gwen may not be totally out of action, and would be back at some point with the opportunity for more drama... what would the current "we want to eat your babies" situation be like if she had a kid already?

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-10, 12:21 PM
The Whoniverse has a bit of a problem there though, the Torchwood Institute exists at least into a few thousand years before the era that Bad Wolf was in, so something has to happen even if they end the show.

Voidhawk
2009-07-10, 02:14 PM
My conclusions so far are:
1) The 456 are good at bio-engineering, as they provided that flu cure in 1965, and releasing the virus that killed Thames House. They appear to have done something biologically "Wierd-ass" to the child we've seen in the gas tank too.

2) The child we've seen looks to me like it has been intergrated with the 456 fully, like it was hung under the 456.

3) This makes me think that the 456 are a parasitic/symbiotic species, and possibly need the children to grow more 456 from, like that wasp that lays eggs in a spider.

4) Maybe they have a population shortage, and suddenly need more bodies?

Though I'm liking the suggestion of the 456 really being the Macra.

Avaris
2009-07-10, 04:10 PM
Damn the Torchwood producers! Damn them all!
Man that was a good series... and then they ended it. I think its pretty clear there won't be another unfortunately. Gwen settling down, Jack left the planet, all the rest of the old team dead, hub destroyed... highly unlikely for a new series. Ending on a high note I guess; that last episode was very uppsetting, and very well made.

Also, I reckon Jack will resurface in Who at some point... unless Barrowman wants to stop playing him

Kaelaroth
2009-07-10, 04:29 PM
That was profoundly upsetting; I cried.

Calamity
2009-07-10, 04:40 PM
RTD has said that series 4 of Torchwood will depend entirely on the success of series 3.
httphttp://www.denofgeek.com/television/266944/torchwood_series_4_ready_to_go.html (http://www.denofgeek.com/television/266944/torchwood_series_4_ready_to_go.html)

All things considered, I imagine that this season will probably be the most successful one so far. It was brilliant. Even more hard-hitting than the season 2 finale in all 5 episodes, that's quite a feat.

Hazkali
2009-07-10, 04:44 PM
That was a very dark episode, quite emotional and tense.
Not the best ending I thought, though, there wasn't any foreshadowing/set up for the machine they used to destroy the 456, it felt like RTD had written himself into a corner again and needed a McGuffin to fix it.

GryffonDurime
2009-07-10, 09:26 PM
Wow.

This has been quite a week--I've heard some people complain that Day 5 was a weak ending because it didn't have tension, but I don't think anything short of Day 1 was more tense. The producers did an amazing job. They managed to thread in some great new minor characters throughout, they kept building...

As for the McGuffin, it was foreshadowed. Every single scene with Clem was foreshadowing it: I actually thought that was rather clever. Foreshadowing: now with 20% more pathos.

...That being said, the overnights for this season have been amazing--growing, even. I wouldn't be surprised to see Season 4, but I will say this: I want them to find a way to get Ianto back. There should be consequences, but I mean, wow, if they can pull this story off? This was slick.

Series 4 Prediction: Opens six months later with Gwen (who is now SO much more interesting as a character) as the leader of a slowly reviving Torchwood. Rhys answers the phones when he's not taking care of their son. Lois is working there full-time as Gwen's protege, and Martha is, at the least, a consultant. The story begins, as always, with Jack's return...

factotum
2009-07-11, 04:07 AM
The thing this series of Torchwood proved to me is that it's a lot better to be able to give a story a proper amount of time. I really hope Steven Moffat takes note and brings his Who back to the old style where you had stories spread over several episodes, rather than RTD's "get everything resolved in 45 minutes" style.

As for the ending, well, they're going to have to do some sort of MAJOR reboot to restart Torchwood from where they've left it!

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-11, 11:05 AM
Thank GOD. A Rusty story without a Deus Ex Machina.

Hazkali
2009-07-11, 01:10 PM
Still unconvinced on the final episode, but then I was for most of the finals for Dr Who- somehow his finales don't work for me.

But still, I'm glad I watched.

magellan
2009-07-11, 07:31 PM
Still unconvinced on the final episode, but then I was for most of the finals for Dr Who- somehow his finales don't work for me.

But still, I'm glad I watched.

Nuwho? It's not Doctor Who, its rusty. (Russel T. Davies) He *can* write decent characterizations and decent beginnigs. He just somehow managed to skip the "How to write the end of a story"-class in writing school. If you didn't pay attention before: look what stories you liked and how many of those were written by a certain mr. moffat. There is hope ;)

Anyway: I just watched season 1 and boy do i hope they get better later! It started out allright but around "random shoes" it just got worse and worse... and then... Torchwoods doctor panics because some folks run around with the plague? Hello! Middle ages are over! Give them a handfull of antibiotics and send them home! They really lost me there.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-11, 07:32 PM
Hang on. How is mass kidnap easier than, I dunno, drug synthesis?

comicshorse
2009-07-11, 09:39 PM
Cause the kids last fourty years or more ?

factotum
2009-07-12, 01:25 AM
Anyway: I just watched season 1 and boy do i hope they get better later! It started out allright but around "random shoes" it just got worse and worse... and then... Torchwoods doctor panics because some folks run around with the plague? Hello! Middle ages are over! Give them a handfull of antibiotics and send them home! They really lost me there.

Season 2 was definitely a lot better. The Torchwood team actually felt like a team in it, for a start, whereas there was a point in the first season where the others were actually threatening Captain Jack with a gun because they didn't like what he was asking them to do!

I think season 3 was better still, but mainly, as I said above, because it was a single long story rather than a load of disconnected episodes.

GrlumpTheElder
2009-07-14, 11:36 AM
I enjoyed it, somewhat more than the last series, probably less on the team and more on every player.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-07-14, 04:19 PM
Wow that was awesome. One thing that annoyed me; the aliens had the power to controll all children and teleport stuff. Why didn't the 456 get them in one place then teleport them themselves? None of this co*king around with the governments.

GryffonDurime
2009-07-14, 07:14 PM
Wow that was awesome. One thing that annoyed me; the aliens had the power to controll all children and teleport stuff. Why didn't the 456 get them in one place then teleport them themselves? None of this co*king around with the governments.

The 4-5-6 had the power to talk through the children. We never saw them make them do anything more physical than point. Besides which, it's an intimidation tactic. It gets them what they want and it makes them feel like big people...crab...things.

comicshorse
2009-07-14, 07:48 PM
Personally I was left in no doubt in 2049 the 465 would be back with a demand for 20 % of our chikdren

lin_fusan
2009-07-17, 12:24 PM
Something about "Children of Earth" left me profoundly unsatisfied. I enjoy tragedies as much as dramas or comedies, but something felt... off.

The first two episodes were great. The middle was filler. The fourth was okay, but depended on the last ep. And the last... :smallsigh:

Kaelaroth
2009-07-23, 06:28 PM
Apparently a fourth season is "ready to go", whatever that means, but apparently isn't certified for production, yet.

Hermit
2009-07-23, 06:46 PM
Apparently a fourth season is "ready to go", whatever that means, but apparently isn't certified for production, yet.

I wonder if they're thinking of giving the spinoffs a rest for now to give the new Doc a clear run with the DW series next year.

Tharivol123
2009-07-24, 10:58 PM
Hard to say what my final opinion is since I'm watching the final episode right now (DVR FTW). So far, my main opinion has been one of annoyance since this such a long running story that the Doctor could have wrapped in about half an episode. Although Gwen has a pretty theory as to why he didn't bother showing up for this. Sometimes, the world just fills him with such shame he won't act. While it doesn't seem to fit DT's Doctor, some of the others would probably act in that fashion.

edit: left with a very unsatisfied feeling. Still don't like the characters they tried to get us to like by the end, and I don't know that I can ever look at Captain Jack in a positive way again. Unless he goes back to showing up on DW and gets back to what he used to be, I'm done with him.