PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Bull Rush SPECIFICALLY? [3.5]

Zaq
2009-07-06, 10:58 PM
So I've been looking at a build that involves some magical bull rushing, and I'm wondering if there are any good items out there that will help with this. I've been poking through the MIC, but I've found painfully few items that will actually help. Most of the items designed to aid bull rushers boost STR checks... but I won't be using STR, I'll be using CHA. Are there any items out there that give a bonus specifically to bull rush? So far I've got the Circlet of Persuasion (as I said, I'm using CHA, not STR, so it should work, right?) and the Helm of Battle (from MIC). Naturally, I'll need to use the item stacking rules to use both of them. I have to feel like there's more out there, but I'm drawing a blank when it comes to actually digging it up, so if anyone could jog my memory, that'd be very much appreciated.

On a related note, any similar items that a familiar could use would be handy, since I'm planning on having my familiar get in on the action. (Umbral Fist is a personal buff, so you can share it with your familiar... kind of the point of the tactic, really.)

I suppose I should add that I'm more or less looking specifically for items. Feats are already tight, and suggesting spells won't do me much good, since I'm a Shadowcaster. So yeah, items.

Eldariel
2009-07-07, 07:08 AM
Shield of the Severed Hand [Gruumsh Relic] and Brutal Surge-weapon sorta. Neither of them pump Bull Rush directly tho and that's all I can find (outside some Soulmelds probably...)

Fishy
2009-07-07, 07:58 AM
Weirdly enough, your size bonus applies to Bull Rushes even if you're using Telekinesis, Telekinetic Maneuver or Umbral Fist. I don't think Shadowcasters have any ways to get huge natively, but a Belt of Growth or potions of Enlarge Person or tattoos of Expansion work just fine.

Telonius
2009-07-07, 08:26 AM
- Be a Dwarf.
- Have four or more feet.
- Be bigger than Medium.

I'm seeing some references online to a "Heart of Earth" spell that grants bonuses vs. bull rush. Not sure the source, though, and no idea if it's bonuses to STR or to ability.

Person_Man
2009-07-07, 02:00 PM
You might want to check this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5897646) and this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22) out.

They basically have all the elements you might need. In particular, URL="http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b"]Marshal[/URL] gives you your Cha bonus to many different checks.

Zaq
2009-07-07, 08:03 PM
Hmm, yeah, it doesn't look like there's a whole lot out there. I did find the Scepter of Obedience from the Miniatures Handbook (12.5k, +5 competence to Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks. Seems decent... though I've never seen anyone suggest it before. Has it been updated/nerfed, or is it just because of the relatively obscure source?), but not much else.

Person_Man, what were those links supposed to show me? Homer and the King of Pong are amusing, but don't have anything to do with making Umbral Fist better, unless I'm totally missing the point.

Draz74
2009-07-07, 08:10 PM
Person_Man, what were those links supposed to show me? Homer and the King of Pong are amusing, but don't have anything to do with making Umbral Fist better, unless I'm totally missing the point.

No, they're just examples of how to make Bull Rush more effectual when it succeeds. The Marshal is a good idea, though. Double your Charisma bonus to bull rushes, nice.

Keld Denar
2009-07-07, 08:11 PM
(never mind, I'm dumb)