PDA

View Full Version : Help!...I'm rich! [3.5/pathfinder]

olelia
2009-07-06, 11:05 PM
I've just obtained 131,290 gp for my 8th level wizard. What do I buy? :smalleek:
Relevant information.

Race: Effectively a sun elf...just different name placement
Items already obtained <which can be sold easily>
Headband of intellect + 2
Bag of tricks (rust)
<cannot be sold> 9th level maximized wand of magic missile - infinite charges
Handy Haversack

Thats about it.
Books allowed: core only, no psionics, and pathfinder..which doesn't add much
No infinite loops, no limit on GP per item, have access to bought anything at the place we're currently at.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-06, 11:45 PM
A Headband of Int +6, a Tome of Clear Thought +3(or save for a +4), and maybe a Bead of Karma if you have the UMD for it.

Or an Apparatus of Kwalish.

Lycanthromancer
2009-07-06, 11:59 PM
Be paranoid; get tomes, grafts, and enhancements that cannot be separated from you in any way, shape, or form.

It's damned difficult to legitimately take something away from you when it's literally inseparable from your character. :smallwink:

Vaynor
2009-07-07, 12:01 AM
Be paranoid; get tomes, grafts, and enhancements that cannot be separated from you in any way, shape, or form.

It's damned difficult to legitimately take something away from you when it's literally inseparable from your character. :smallwink:

Not if I chop your arm off, it isn't.

Lycanthromancer
2009-07-07, 12:03 AM
Not if I chop your arm off, it isn't.

Then buy regeneration; I do believe there's a troll graft (ie, troll blood infusion) that will regenerate anything separated from your body. ^_^

Night-breeze
2009-07-07, 12:14 AM
I've just obtained 131,290 gp for my 8th level wizard. What do I buy? :smalleek:
Relevant information.

Race: Effectively a sun elf...just different name placement
Items already obtained <which can be sold easily>
Headband of intellect + 2
Bag of tricks (rust)
<cannot be sold> 9th level maximized wand of magic missile - infinite charges
Handy Haversack

Thats about it.
Books allowed: core only, no psionics, and pathfinder..which doesn't add much
No infinite loops, no limit on GP per item, have access to bought anything at the place we're currently at.

Don't trust the DM! Buy a tome of intellect +5 now and read it while constantly locked away in a rope trick. Then you can breathe.

RTGoodman
2009-07-07, 12:16 AM
Once you grab a better headband of intellect and a tome of clear thought, spend money on a blessed book or three, protection for them, and EVERY WIZARD SPELL YOU COULD POSSIBLY EVER NEED. And grab several of those magic scroll-cases that automatically give you the one you want, a ton of utility scrolls to go in them, some wands, and almost definitely a metamagic rod or three (quicken, etc.).

EDIT: Forgot Core-only. The magic scroll-case is from MIC, which is ALMOST Core, but everything else should be fine.

Callista
2009-07-07, 12:21 AM
That's... oh, about five times what you're supposed to have. This is a problem.

There's no way you can have that much at 8th level and stay balanced... well, unless you use the money in a way that doesn't affect your power level outright. Why do you need to stay balanced? Well, simple: It's so your DM doesn't have to adjust the encounters you face to be stronger, because if he does, you'll end up with battles just strong enough to challenge you that the rest of your party can't survive. I've seen it; it ain't pretty. Even less pretty is what happens if the DM keeps the encounter levels the same and you casually squash everything you come across. Gets boring fast.

Recommendations:
Build a castle and hire an army. You now have your own personal stronghold. Your DM has his own personal plothook. Everybody wins. Not sure if this is in your price range, but consider an extraplanar stronghold. Same as the regular castle, only you get your own pocket dimension. We're assuming you have access to somebody you can pay to create it for you, of course.

Start a business. You can make more money that way--but you will probably put it straight back into the business. Oh, and you have to defend against robbers, business rivals, and general mayhem.

If you're the unscrupulous type, you could start an organization of thieves or assassins. Does the town you're in have a Mafia? Well, it does now.

Or, if you're the Necromancer type, you could create and outfit an army of undead.

Religious? Build a cathedral. You now have the local clergy in your back pocket, and can probably teleport back to a very familiar location for a Raise Dead anytime you like.

Or build the biggest library in the world and start hunting down the rarest books you can find. Talk about a bonus to your Knowledge checks!

You see what I'm getting at, though. Tie the money up in such a way that it doesn't make your character too powerful. Instead, use it for something that can make the game more fun for you. Raw power doesn't equal fun for very long--not when it's that out of balance. Wizards are bad enough... wizards with way too much cash are worse. If you play this right, you might end up with your own personal monopoly, thieves' guild, kingdom, etc.; if not, you'll just end up frustrating your DM.

Deepblue706
2009-07-07, 12:21 AM
Buy a mansion and retire from adventuring?

Lycanthromancer
2009-07-07, 12:39 AM
Build orphanages and nab the Leadership feat.

Then you have a bunch of budding adventurers under your belt, and can abuse them as you see fit.

Myrmex
2009-07-07, 01:40 AM
Build orphanages and nab the Leadership feat.

Then you have a bunch of budding adventurers under your belt, and can abuse them as you see fit.

Heh heh heh....
http://penny-arcade.com/images/2009/20090701.jpg

Myrmex
2009-07-07, 01:43 AM
Get the +5 to int.

Or, invest it in something really fun that you would never get because it would usually be a waste of cash. Like a flying carpet or a golem manual. Actually, a couple greater stone golems at level 8 would be frickin BAD ASS. And get a carpet of flying.

DeathQuaker
2009-07-07, 08:51 AM
I like the suggestion to build a stronghold. I could look it up when I get home if you don't have the Stronghold Builder's Guide, and see how much a nice little wizard's tower could cost to build.

But if you want to go for the banal/practical/typical, a Robe of the Archmagi is a mere 75,000 GP and gives you what may appear to be much needed bonuses to armor, saves, grants you SR, and gives you a +2 to your CL checks to overcome others' SR. All in one handy item.

You could swap your Headband of Intellect for a Headband of Mental Prowess (this is a Pathfinder core item) to boost your Int plus either Wis or Cha. (If you want to be more observant and stubborn, or you want to be more charming.) One that adds +4 to both costs 20,000.

If you got both of these, you'd still have money left over for other items or to invest or hire hirelings or build your stronghold, etc.

Since you're a Sun Elf, something to boost your Con might come in handy.

Going another route, I also like the "buttload of cheap disposable items" way of doing things. Lots of wands and potions and Feather Tokens and the like, to give you lots of flexibility in different situations. And the Robe of Useful Items. I love the Robe of Useful Items. And random but useful stuff if you are creative, like an Eversmoking Bottle or a Decanter of Endless Water. Oh! And Sovereign Glue. Gotta have some Sovereign Glue. (And Universal Solvent, in case of accidents).

Or buy an Instant Fortress (the Pathfinder version is in the Web Supplement and costs 55,000 GP). An instant home, and you can drop it on people who annoy you.

olelia
2009-07-07, 09:55 AM
Huh...Interesting suggestions. Okay..now that I'm away going to start the responses bottom to top.

DeathQuaker: Fortress is a cool idea but we're basically on this massive quest of legend so probably won't have time for the fortress. My character was highly chaotic and my dm actually rolled to see what specialty I became in magic and it was transmutation. Transmutation specialty, for those that don't know, give me free enhancement bonuses, in this case, to my Con, so I've got that weakness covered.

Myrmex,rtg0922,Sstoopidtallkid: Ya, was thinking the headband. The question is how far I want the tome to go and if I want the blessed book. I have eschew materials on the pure fact that we sometimes have to check our spell pouches in at the gate at certain events. I'm not sure if he's the type yet that would go the further step and mess with the spell book.

In general: The DM has warned us of the lethality of some of the upcoming adventures and the money is very legit...We basically robbed the largest train in the whole world so we could get a key that would lock an opening demon's gate, and seeing as we were chaotic...we just took privy to everything else in the safe.

In conclusion. Headband seems a must, beads of karma are a possibility because in pathfinder the basic headband gives you max ranks in a skill of your choice upon purchse.

Final questions: Should I invest in any rings at all? The rings of wizardly seemed like a possible canidate at first but they only go up to 4th and are REALLY expensive. Also, should I think about any metamagic rods?

kemmotar
2009-07-07, 10:01 AM
Actually, if you just want to boost your int, the tome of clearthought +5 would be best (or +4, don't rememer the exact price). It has 2 advantages over getting a new headband.
1) you're not dependent on the equip (either dispel, antimagic field or just it being stolen
2) you keep your headband and can enhance it later with any extra money so it's like having 2 different equips:smallbiggrin:

Buying a smaller tome of clearthought would probably be a waste money wise and if you make it your priority to enahnce the headband first then you're either gonna have to get a smaller tome or carry around with you a ton of gold which can be stolen and is not doing much sitting around in your backpack/HHH/bag of holding or wherever you store it.

Also, if your DM allows MIC:
1) ring of spell battle
2) shirt of the leech

ring of (greater) counterspells can also be useful and can be used in conunction with ring of spell battle. You automatically know what spell is being cast without having to see who is casting it and counter it just as easily without expending the ring of spell battle daily uses (which you can still do in a bind).

You're not a good wizard if you're not paranoid already...
Also, shirt of the leech, depriving your enemy of healing without an action=good. Stealing that healing for yourself or your allied=even better.

shadzar
2009-07-07, 12:58 PM
2,625 tanglefoot bags with 40 gp left over. :smallcool:

only1doug
2009-07-07, 02:20 PM
In general: The DM has warned us of the lethality of some of the upcoming adventures and the money is very legit...We basically robbed the largest train in the whole world so we could get a key that would lock an opening demon's gate, and seeing as we were chaotic...we just took privy to everything else in the safe.

The GM may have allowed the money at the time but he hasn't yet realised the consequenses.

I played a treasure heavy campaign once, by L5 my paladin had 32AC, the GM abandoned level appropriate monsters (they couldn't touch us) and threw in harder and harder monsters. It ended up with us fighting monsters that could occasionally hit me, that had corresponding hitpoints/AC so we couldn't hit them (or if we could then our damage was a pitiful). fights took forever and the fun was gone.

when the GM rebalances to compensate you want to have spent the money in a sensible fashion.

I see two choices:
1. Pick non-class orientated permanent buffs that give you a benefit that doesn't unbalance the game.

Manual of Dexterity for AC/ranged attacks
Manual of Constitution for HPs

2. permanently buff your INT and hope the GM doesn't find a way to penalise you.

Tome of Int for spells/save DCs

Lycanthromancer
2009-07-07, 03:33 PM
It's relatively cheap, but a psychoactive skin of proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus) or five would be insanely useful.

It's easy to sneak around when you take the form of a fly, and it's good for boosting your Str, Con, and Dex scores when you need to (great for boosting Initiative rolls).

Also, you might want to see about a ring of sustenance (you can add additional properties to it for 1.5x cost).

Definitely get a high-level tome of clear thought (+4 or +5), and you should consider a few portable extradimensional spaces (they're ever so useful).

Also, wands and scrolls and maybe some boots of temporal acceleration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#bootsofTemporalAcceleration) would be insanely useful.

Metamagic rods and an orange ioun stone are MUST-HAVES.