2005-12-15, 04:58 AM
Word of Retrieval

Sor/Wiz X
Transmutation
Components: V
Range: Unlimited
Target: One Object
Duration: Instaneous
Saving Throw: None or Will Negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: None or Yes (harmless, obect)

Word of Retrieval teleports a certain item, designated at the time of the spell's preparation, into your hands. This item must be in your possession when the spell is prepared, or be inscribed, by you, with an arcane mark. The item can be transported any distance, but it cannot travel between planes by means of this spell. The item's maximum size cannot exceed your maximum load, and it must be of non-living matter.

If the item is in another creature's possession (as in, directly in its grasp, not "captured and sitting on a shelf"), the creature’s Will save (or spell resistance) prevents the item from being teleported. Unattended objects receive no saving throw. As the object is teleporting within your hands, there is no chance of failure.

I need some help levelling this spell. Its model, "Word of Recall", is a level 6 cleric spell, but that's also a fair bit more powerful. Teleport Object is level 7, and comparable, but it has interplanar capabilities (you can send things to the Etheral), and can handle some pretty massive objects (50# per level is not svelte). Level 4 or 5 feels about right; 4 too low (since it seems more powerful than Dimension Door), but 5 too high (since its less powerful than teleport). I figure this will be a popular spell for wizards, and get some mileage out of Arcane Mark.

squishycube
2005-12-15, 05:06 AM
I like how you try to make Arcane Mark more useful.

Anyway, if this spell was just used to retrieve lost items, it would be level 2, 3 maybe. But this spell has insane munchkin capabilities and also nasty in game uses.

Therefor I would say this is a level 4 spell and I'd add the note that this spell is under DM's discretion, always.

Single Shot Zombie
2005-12-15, 05:11 AM
If it weren't for the fact that you could, say, teleport a fully charged wand of enervation into your hands, I'd say that this should have been put under the Winged One's utility spells thread: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1134623547

And Level 4 does sound about right. Try adding in some other requirements, though. Or give it a longer casting time. Or make the object take time to arrive in your hand.

Everyman
2005-12-15, 05:31 AM
That is one interesting spell, Mr. Nexx.

Well, I'd keep it 4th level, but give it a full-round casting time. This limits the potential munchkinry, and still keeps the spell viable.
On second thought, consider adding in a range of sort. I'd recommend 100 miles per caster level. Again, potent but not broken.

Douglas
2005-12-15, 06:14 AM
This is very similar to, but almost strictly better than, Instant Summons (http://d20srd.org/srd/spells/instantSummons.htm), which is 7th level. The only thing Instant Summons can do that Word of Retrieval can't is get something from another plane.

Compared to Instant Summons, you have:
greatly increased the weight limit
removed a 1000 gp material cost
made it require a save rather than automatically failing for attended objects
made it non-dispellable
removed the ability to cross planar boundaries
made it take up a spell slot until used

I don't think the two drawbacks I listed are enough to counter the four major advantages. This spell should be at least level 8.

Sacrath
2005-12-15, 12:32 PM
I was just thinking I had seen this spell before. Yes, Instant Summons is a rediculously usefull spell if used correctly, this needs to be much higher level 8-9 for sure.

johnnyko
2005-12-15, 03:08 PM
I like it, and I like it as a low level spell, but it is over-powered for level three/four. Were a player to bring it to me in my campain, I would probably suggest the following restrictions. Like Instant Summons, it cannot retrieve an object in the possession of another creature. The caster does NOT become aware of the location of the object or name of its possessor.
No magical items may be transported via this spell.
(Possibly) only one item can be marked for this spell at a time.
(Or) Any item to be retrieved by this spell must be kept in a specially prepared (cabinet/chest/circle). This (storage device) costs 500 gold to create, and can be reused.
(Or) A 100 gp material component cost.
Finally, I'd change the weight restriction to something level based, probably 5 pounds a level.

I'd probably be willing to allow this as a 3rd level spell, especially with both the cabinet and the material cost restrictions. Hope my input was helpful.

(P.S. 9 month lurker, first time poster.)

MrNexx
2005-12-15, 05:43 PM
The initial concept for this spell was "Geez... I wish the bad guys hadn't stolen my spellbook." Now, obviously, a spell like this is going to have more applications than just spellbooks, but I figured that this was a need that someone was going to come up with... this is the kind of spell that people use Spell Mastery on.

Now, since sorcerers don't prepare spells, and you don't always know when you're going to need a spell like this, I threw in the Arcane Mark option (it also seemed like a good use for Arcane Mark).

In response to the suggestions, here's a revised version:

Word of Retrieval

Sor/Wiz X
Transmutation
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Unlimited
Target: One Object of no more than 2 pounds per level whose greatest dimension is no more than 6'.
Duration: Instaneous
Saving Throw: None or Will Negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: None or Yes (harmless, obect)

Word of Retrieval teleports a certain item, designated at the time of the spell's preparation, into your hands. This item must be in your possession when the spell is prepared, or be inscribed, by you, with an arcane mark. The item can be transported any distance, but it cannot travel between planes by means of this spell.

If the item is in another creature's possession (as in, directly in its grasp, not "captured and sitting on a shelf"), the creature’s Will save (or spell resistance) prevents the item from being teleported. Unattended objects receive no saving throw. As the object is teleporting within your hands, there is no chance of failure.

Maryring
2005-12-15, 05:57 PM
I think it should be level 8. It is still better than Instant Summons.

jdrich
2005-12-15, 07:26 PM
The spell is similar enough to Instant Summons in such a way that there is no acceptable way to nerf it in such a way as to merit making it a spell of a lesser level.

Corestimah
2005-12-15, 07:50 PM
MrNexx,

I think 8th level is probably best, 'cause this is much more powerful than Instant Summons. Also, I would like to suggest a few changes to balance it better:
have a set weight limit (even 2 lb/ CL would mean 26 lbs at 13th level, more than 2x Instant Summons);
Eliminate the part about having it with you when you prepare the spell;
Full Round action casting time, as Tarkahn suggested.
That's it.

Ragnarok
2005-12-15, 10:11 PM
Just my disjointed ramblings:

You could nerf this spell by nerfing arcane mark instead. Give it a short or medium length duration or give it costly components or some such. I know this wouldn't change the on-person effects, but it's harder to munchkin that.