PDA

View Full Version : Fables in D&D

elliott20
2009-07-07, 02:02 AM
Fables (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fables_(comics)) is a comic about what happens if fairy tale characters were real and all share the same universe. The premise is that these fables like the Big Bad Wolf and such were forced out of their homelands and had to move to upstate New York to hide from their enemies.

The story at first is pretty much modernized fairy tale characters with a bit of fantasy elements thrown in here and there.

But by the later story arcs, you start to see more and more high magical stuff cropping up, which led to me to think that a lot of the Fable artifacts, creatures, and characters would actually make good additions to any existing fantasy game.

anybody feel the same way about this series?

Gnaeus
2009-07-07, 08:32 AM
Great series.

I would hesitate to use it in D&D, because statting some of the characters could be hard. I think you could do it in something like GURPS with the right supplements.

A lot of the items (like the magic cloak) are pretty powerful, even for D&D artifacts. It would have to be a very high level game to include them.

If I were going to use it in D&D, I would start by creating a "Fable" template, which could be stackable on itself. Give a bonus to strength and dexterity, fast healing, and a small chance of spontaineous resurrection over time. The better known fables, like Snow White, Red Riding Hood, and Bigby Wolf, might have it multiple times.

elliott20
2009-07-07, 10:37 PM
yeah, it just occurred to me that since these characters have been around for god knows how many hundreds of years, they'd probably all be epic by now too.