PDA

View Full Version : Alchemical items & sneak attack (3.5)

Harperfan7
2009-07-07, 03:42 AM
Am I correct in assuming that alchemical grenade-like weapons allow you to add sneak attack damage (if applicable)? As in, my 3rd level rogue surprises an orc and throws an acid flask in his face, I would do 3d6 acid damage?

Would sneak attack holy water bypass the usual damage reduction of something like a demon?

bosssmiley
2009-07-07, 04:25 AM
By the RAW? Yep, you can totally use flasks with sneak attack.

"The Rogue with the Handy Haversack full of weird [alchemical] crap, a Ring of Blink, and a brace of wands with gravestrike, golemstrike, and sniper's eye is a classic..."
-- Frank Trollman

Would sneak attack holy water bypass the usual damage reduction of something like a demon?

Is the target subject to precision damage (like, say, sneak attack)? Consult your DM for a final answer on this...

Curmudgeon
2009-07-07, 04:48 AM
Would sneak attack holy water bypass the usual damage reduction of something like a demon? No, definitely not by RAW.
A direct hit by a flask of holy water deals 2d4 points of damage to an undead creature or an evil outsider.
Damage reduction 15/cold iron and good
Damage reduction 10/good While holy water has the ability to damage evil outsiders, there is nothing in the rules that says this damage ignores DR, or that it's also good-aligned. (And of course no hope of also functioning as cold iron.) But since sneak attack bonus damage is of the same type as the main damage, it would all add up and work on the ranged touch attack to deliver the splash weapon. The total (2d4 + sneak attack) should be adequate to do some hurt even after subtracting the demon's DR.

daggaz
2009-07-07, 04:51 AM
Its holy water man. Of course its good aligned, if it wasnt radiating pure good, it would just be...water. If thats not in the books somewhere, then chalk it down as yet another glaring oversight by WotC. Any DM worth his salt would make this ruling.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-07, 04:56 AM
Well. . .the spell that creates it (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blessWater.htm) has the [good] description. I am taking a bit of a leap here, but I would say it does,even if only by RAI. A better case can be made against undead as the spell specifically says it imbues the water with positive energy, which undead tend to dislike.

Curmudgeon
2009-07-07, 10:51 AM
Well. . .the spell that creates it (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blessWater.htm) has the [good] description. I understand that. But the Player's Handbook Equipment chapter describes the end product, and that lacks any mention of weapon alignment properties. It's already special in that it's just plain water for most creatures. Isn't the fact that it does real damage to evil outsiders, and only requires a ranged touch attack, enough?

Jack Zander
2009-07-07, 11:05 AM
I understand that. But the Player's Handbook Equipment chapter describes the end product, and that lacks any mention of weapon alignment properties. It's already special in that it's just plain water for most creatures. Isn't the fact that it does real damage to evil outsiders, and only requires a ranged touch attack, enough?

Not when it doesn't actually deal that damage to said outsiders.

ericgrau
2009-07-07, 12:29 PM
Sneak attack rules say you need precision and the ability to reach a creature's vitals to sneak attack, b/c you're stabbing them in the vitals. However, in this case the FAQ confirms that you can sneak attack with splash weapons. I think that's silly if you think about it at all, but there you go its in the FAQ. Let your DM decide how to rule it. I wouldn't allow it but I suppose if I were DMing an RPGA game or something (now we're really getting theoretical) then I would allow it b/c that's how the FAQ interprets it and I'd want to be as consistent as possible.

It's also a cheesy way for a rogue to overcome his mid BAB, btw. But only at mid levels when you can afford lots of splash weapons yet magic weapons aren't yet strong enough to be worth a few misses. And I think that's the only reason people even try this. Not because they read cool stories about medieval heroes who were master of backstabbing with bottles of acid. Nor because they invented such a concept and thought it was suave. Nor b/c such a thing makes good common sense tactically. So even if it's legal I'd slap the user with the meta-gaming stick.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-07, 01:15 PM
It's also a cheesy way for a rogue to overcome his mid BAB, btw. But only at mid levels when you can afford lots of splash weapons yet magic weapons aren't yet strong enough to be worth a few misses. And I think that's the only reason people even try this. Not because they read cool stories about medieval heroes who were master of backstabbing with bottles of acid. Nor because they invented such a concept and thought it was suave. Nor b/c such a thing makes good common sense tactically. So even if it's legal I'd slap the user with the meta-gaming stick.A Wand of Acid Splash is both cheaper in the long run and is able to make Ranged Touch attacks. Until you hit level 8, it's by far the better option, and you can afford it fairly early.