PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick Review

Rhadan
2009-07-07, 07:03 AM
Hi!

Just wanted to write a quick note - I'm currently trying to get a blog going about webcomics and reviewed the Order of the Stick now. :)

If you want to read - http://webcomics-review.blogspot.com/

I'll be posting more reviews soon!

Enjoy!

Mx.Silver
2009-07-07, 07:43 AM
Not bad, but your reviewing style needs a bit of polishing. There's a little too much description and not quite enough analysis (you spend over half the word count detailing how the strip is based in D&D, for example). This leads to you making a few unsupported statements: such as the quality of the story and characters, indeed the only main character quality you mention is Haley's alleged 'sex appeal'. These should really be the focus of your evaluation (particularly since, unlike QC, OotS has a story). Essentially, you aren't giving as much justification to your ratings as you could be doing. One more nitpick: you having RPGs but not D&D before having read OotS is not an example of irony.

In regards to your rating system I have a couple of gripes. First: plot as a category. This seems to discriminate against more gag-related strips which treat an ongoing storyline, particularly if the rating under this section counts towards your overall rating (if it doesn't I'd question why you even have it). The inclusion of originality seems rather suspect as well since this is highly subjective (you may stumble across something that appears very original, only to later discover that's only due to a lack of knowledge of the genre on your part), but it's your choice. Personally, I'd have been tempted to go with an art/writing/overall method of compartmentalising (the 'fun' category seems completely superfluous and I'm curious as to why you decided to put it in).

Overall though you aren't too bad. I can't really comment whether I agree on your points since they're fairly under-developed. I don't use numerical ratings either, and since those are what you rely on so much there isn't much that really be talked about there. I do take some issue with your 'greatest and vastest storyline in webcomics thing' (how are we defining 'vastness' here? Is it necessarily a good thing?) and would suggest that people who find Haley sexy probably could do with getting out a bit more, but that's about it.

Rhadan
2009-07-08, 02:24 AM
Hi and first and foremost: Thank you for your honest words.

You're right with OOTS as I spent a little too much time talking about the genre.

As for the characters, I try not to get too much into detail about that one, mostly because the review is for people who probably haven't read the webcomic yet. A quick introduction of all main characters would take up too much space, as I try to keep the reviews on roughly one page.

In regards to your rating system I have a couple of gripes. First: plot as a category. This seems to discriminate against more gag-related strips which treat an ongoing storyline, particularly if the rating under this section counts towards your overall rating (if it doesn't I'd question why you even have it).

Actually, the overall rating is not composed of those three in a sense of (A+B+C)/3, mostly because this would discriminate comics that don't have very good art but are still very good comics. (Bob'n'George for example), but I think that the three components still help build an overall rating.

Plot still seemed like a relevant category as even in funny strips you mostly have a plot that's ongoing and let's face it: It's what makes readers coming back. There are some kind of strips (eg Wulffmorgenthaler) that don't have any plot at all, in which case they'd just receive a n/a in plot.

By the way, QC has lots of plot, it's just more of a "Days of our lives" kinda plot rather than an epic story.

The inclusion of originality seems rather suspect as well since this is highly subjective (you may stumble across something that appears very original, only to later discover that's only due to a lack of knowledge of the genre on your part), but it's your choice. Personally, I'd have been tempted to go with an art/writing/overall method of compartmentalising.

Writing instead of plot actually would've been a good idea. Didn't think of that, though.

As for me being subjective: Of course I am. Every person has his or her own kind of humor, his or her own interests. I might review a comic I think is hilarious and well-written, but other people won't think so, hence they wouldn't agree with my review.

I think the review can only reflect a rather subjective point of view, although I try to look at the broader picture.

(the 'fun' category seems completely superfluous and I'm curious as to why you decided to put it in).

Basically, I put it in there (and last) because it says a lot about the comic and what you're looking for. If you want to be 'entertained' sometimes you'll want to look for a 'funny' comic rather than a 'serious' one.

-

Once again, thank you for your words (I really take them seriously) - I'm hoping I'll get better at reviewing as I write more reviews. I also have to admit that sometimes I still struggle with a few words, probably because I'm not an English native speaker.

I hope you still liked it - and maybe you'll take a look again some day! :)