PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Natural flight and armor / loads

koeldflare
2009-07-07, 03:08 PM
Quick question, where are the rules for flying while carrying a medium or heavy load, or with armor?

In an upcoming game I will be playing a Half-Fey character (template from the FF) and they gain a natural fly speed equal to twice the movement of the base creature. Now, I plan on taking the Improved Flight feat to get me perfect movement, but I also plan on wearing heavy armor. Does my armor restrict my movement at all?

If someone could answer this with the page number where you got that rule it would be awesome.

Thanks!

herrhauptmann
2009-07-07, 03:21 PM
I think it's in the DMG. If you can find the chart that lists flight maneuverability, it should be around there.

Eldariel
2009-07-07, 03:23 PM
I think it's in the DMG. If you can find the chart that lists flight maneuverability, it should be around there.

It should be in PHB in the "carrying capacity"-area. You can't fly in heavy load or in medium or heavy armor.

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-07, 03:25 PM
It should be in PHB in the "carrying capacity"-area. You can't fly in heavy load or in medium or heavy armor.

So much for my Artificer using Armor Augmentation to give the Druid's armor the Beastskin enhancement so it shapeshifts with him so we can have some plated eagles.

Panserbjorn are still an option though.

Eldariel
2009-07-07, 03:30 PM
So much for my Artificer using Armor Augmentation to give the Druid's armor the Beastskin enhancement so it shapeshifts with him so we can have some plated eagles.

Panserbjorn are still an option though.

Have him use Air Walk. Problem solved O.o

EDIT: I can't find the quotation for the limitation. I'm pretty sure this is the case, but not 100% until I find it on SRD. Could someone point me towards the right direction.

Anyways, you at least are affected by speed reduction as per normal (they affect all your modes of movement). You can find tables for speeds above 30' in DMG. This table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#tremendousStrength) goes up to 100'.

Douglas
2009-07-07, 03:47 PM
A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly)

Heavy armor is not a problem so long as its weight (plus whatever else you're carrying) does not put you above a light load.

It would, however, reduce your speed by the same proportion it affects land speed.

Eldariel
2009-07-07, 03:53 PM
A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly)

Heavy armor is not a problem so long as its weight (plus whatever else you're carrying) does not put you above a light load.

It would, however, reduce your speed by the same proportion it affects land speed.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Darrin
2009-07-07, 04:01 PM
EDIT: I can't find the quotation for the limitation. I'm pretty sure this is the case, but not 100% until I find it on SRD. Could someone point me towards the right direction.

It's in a weird place:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#movementModes

A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load.

Note: by RAW, the rules don't state what happens when you try to fly with a medium or heavy load, or while wearing medium/heavy armor. It's not clear if you just can't fly, or if you fly at a reduced speed.

If that weren't confusing enough, the method you obtain your flying speed may dictate what happens when you carry a medium/heavy load or if you wear medium/heavy armor. If you're using Alter Self to change into an Avariel (RoF p. 32), for example, they can fly their full speed even while carrying a medium load and/or wearing medium armor. If you have flight via Outsider Wings (RoF p. 167), then you can fly even while carrying a heavy load or wearing heavy armor, although at a reduced speed. If you're using Dragon Wings/Imp. Dragon Wings (RotD p. 100) or Dragonborn of Bahumat, then you can't fly with a medium/heavy load... and although it doesn't mention medium/heavy armor, Reinforced Wings seems to think that creatures can't normally fly at all with medium/heavy armor (RAW says nothing about this). The various flight spells usually specify your fly speed while encumbered or wearing medium/heavy armor.