PDA

View Full Version : Escaping the undead

Tafkan
2009-07-07, 05:40 PM
It just so happens that my party got stuck in a rather nasty situation by the end of last session, and since the next one's in only a few days, I want to make sure I have a decent plan (and all the required books) to get out of it.

Basically, our party went all the way to some desert which was apparently an old battlefield to locate a small shrine to the fallen and retrieve the macguffin from there. We did have some rather tough fights on our way there and expended several scrolls, potions, and spells. Okay, almost all of them. Anyway, the wizard starts deciphering the ancient runes on this shrine - something about a curse and all that. The rogue just goes "Yeah, okay, whatever" and grabs the thingy. Next thing we know, there's skeletons crawling out from beneath the sand. Apparently, the entire desert is now full of hostile undead who are rapidly moving towards our little non-optimized party. With the place being an old battlefield and all, I expect thousands of undead at least, even if low levels with little to no casters. The nearest safe spot is a large fortress, but it's several hours away - enough for the undead to wear us down, if not overwhelm. So I need ideas on how to get to the safety, preferably without any party members dying and definitely without simply leaving the macguffin behind.

Here's our party - not really optimized at all:
Halfling Paladin (party leader; has no Smite Evil uses left; can still use Lay on Hands, but has a lousy Charisma score; has most spells left)
Gnome Rogue (party skillmonkey; can't sneak attack undead anyway; got some emergency potions, though very few left)
Dwarf Barbarian/Cleric (healer; has some melee capability at the cost of caster levels; has mostly healing spells prepared, though not nearly enough for all these undead; has no more Turn Undeads left)
??? Wizard (some wacky homebrew race with darkvision and immunity to paralysis and sleep, though that's probably useless in the situation; has expended most of the high-level spells, only has mid/low-level junk left; carries around a few wands for some emergency firepower; the few spells he still has left seem to be completely useless (he knew we're gonna face undead and he prepared Cloukill? :smallannoyed:); does not have access to teleportation spells due to the limitations of this setting)

I'm the paladin, though I can probably use the fact I'm party leader to tell others what to do. As for the casters, they barely have any spells left, and don't have the time to prepare anything. Don't have his spell list at the moment, though I can probably ask him - mostly evocations and conjurations if I recall correctly, with some low-level transmutations. Cleric's spells are almost exclusively healing, so they can be used to do some damage I suppose. We're all exactly level 20 - so close to the epic levels! :smallbiggrin:

So, any ideas how to get to safety? If more information is required, go on and ask - all I want is to find a way to not have our party killed.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-07, 05:44 PM
Hmmm...fighting armies is never a way to win, no matter your level.

Speaking of which, what IS your level?

'Cause without knowing, you appear kind of hosed. Especially since all the races have a slow land speed.

If you're high enough to have some tricks left, it might not all be lost. :smallbiggrin:

Also, any idea what sort of undead?

Dixieboy
2009-07-07, 05:44 PM
What spells are prepared by the different casters?

What kind of armor are you wearing?

What type of undead are talking here?

Viv
2009-07-07, 05:50 PM
I think maybe we're going to need more information than that, like what magical items you have available, what spells you know you have available, etc.

Viv
2009-07-07, 05:52 PM
I would also ask: What's your special mount, and what's the wizard's familiar?

Mando Knight
2009-07-07, 05:52 PM
Dwarf Barbarian/Cleric (healer; has some melee capability at the cost of caster levels; has mostly healing spells prepared, though not nearly enough for all these undead; has no more Turn Undeads left)

What. Did he give up Spontaneous Cure X Wounds for an alternate class feature? He'd better have done so. What's this guy doing with Barbarian levels, anyway? Righteous Might and Divine Power are better than almost that entire class.

Flickerdart
2009-07-07, 06:13 PM
The Hide from Undead spell can save you. Get the Cleric on his knees and praying ASAP and your DM might be kind enough to grant him the spell before the spooks overrun you.

Tafkan
2009-07-07, 06:15 PM
Speaking of which, what IS your level?
Exactly level twenty, no more, no less. Thankfully, each of the party members is the same level as well, mostly due to DM not being arsed with keeping track of various XP costs and such.

Also, any idea what sort of undead?
Not quite certain, but I assume they're plain old Human Warrior Skeletons. I doubt our DM would throw anything particulary fancy at us in such amounts.

What spells are prepared by the different casters?
Not really sure about either's spell list. The cleric has loads of healing spells ready though. As for the wizard, mostly mid-level evocations left I think. The wizard player does live just down the street though, can go ask him if you want?

What kind of armor are you wearing?
I'm wearing full plate, as is the cleric, slowing us down even further. The rogue has leather I think. The mage goes unarmored.

I would also ask: What's your special mount, and what's the wizard's familiar?
I have a riding dog, wizard has a lizard.

What. Did he give up Spontaneous Cure X Wounds for an alternate class feature? He'd better have done so. What's this guy doing with Barbarian levels, anyway? Righteous Might and Divine Power are better than almost that entire class.
I don't think there's even an official rule for that - he just asked the GM and was allowed to get more spells at the cost of spontaneous curing. Seems pretty stupid exchange if you ask me, but then again it's the guy who decided to sacrifice a few caster levels to become a barbarian. No idea why would he do either of these things, though I'll just blame it on being his first game.

The Hide from Undead spell can save you. Get the Cleric on his knees and praying ASAP and your DM might be kind enough to grant him the spell before the spooks overrun you.
Now that's just too obvious for me to come up with it. What's the duration though? This seems so simple it might actually work if the DM is feeling merciful. The main problem I see with it is him throwing in a lich of something that can make the will save just to annoy us.

Tukka
2009-07-07, 06:19 PM
The rogue just goes "Yeah, okay, whatever" and grabs the thingy.
Put the thingy back.

Edit: Hopefully the undead go back to sleep, then your party can rest and better prepare for the assault.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-07, 06:29 PM
It just so happens that my party got stuck in a rather nasty situation by the end of last session, and since the next one's in only a few days, I want to make sure I have a decent plan (and all the required books) to get out of it.

You can probably get yourself and the gnome rogue on your paladin mount. That should be plenty fast enought to get away.

The near epic cleric and wizard have no wish or limited wish? No plane shift? No planar ally or planar binding spell? No wind walk or shadow walk? No overland flight or phantom steed? OK how about mount?

If they can't run how about hiding? No mage's mansion? No rope trick?

OK assuming the answer is no to all of those...or maybe even if the answer is yes to all of those...maybe the answer lies in the thingy on the ancient shrine. Maybe there's a way to turn off the curse creating the undead. If the casters have any divination spells or knowledge skills, now is the time to use them. In the meantime you may have to hold off the hordes of undead. Spells like wall of stone may come in handy to create defensive position.

Raltar
2009-07-07, 06:34 PM
Sounds like someone forgot to speak the magic words.

Flickerdart
2009-07-07, 06:47 PM
Hide from Undead lasts for 10 minutes per level, or more than 3 hours for you guys. Intelligent Undead get a single Will save to see through it. It affects 1 person/level, so you only need the one. It also blocks mindsight and other extraordinary and supernatural senses.

Gorbash
2009-07-07, 06:54 PM
How is it possible that a party of lvl 20 characters has absolutely no flight capabilities? Or any escape mechanism whatsoever?

Night Monkey
2009-07-07, 07:01 PM
Can the wizard give anybody the ability to fly, be invisible, or be ethereal? If he has appropriate polymorphing spells that could work.

If he can't save all of you with those spells, I recommend the following strategy. You and the Gnome Rogue on the dog (as mentioned above). The wizard with the lizard should cast something, anything, on himself so he can survive, like maybe expeditious retreat just to boost his speed. The Cleric/Barbarian should go into rage and charge the undead head on to buy you all time. Then he can roll up a better built character.

Tafkan
2009-07-07, 07:09 PM
Well, got a list of spells they still haven't used now, though it seems I found a solution now.

The near epic cleric and wizard have no wish or limited wish? No plane shift? No planar ally or planar binding spell? No wind walk or shadow walk? No overland flight or phantom steed? OK how about mount?

If they can't run how about hiding? No mage's mansion? No rope trick?

Wish and teleportation spells of any sort (including rope trick or mage mansion) are blocked due to dumb rules we have in the setting. That includes Summon Monster and Planar Binding which incidentally makes Conjuration somewhat less useful. :smallannoyed: As for Wind Walk though, the cleric did have it - we used it to get to the location in first place.

Anyway, looking through the wizard's spell list, we have both Phantom Steed and Expedition Retreat spells available. I suppose me and the gnome can ride off to the sunset on my puppy while they run/ride and hope for the best. Thanks for the help, guys. :)

Gorbash
2009-07-07, 07:12 PM
Well, Wind Walk should be active still, it last for hour/lvl, you can just resume the flight at any time during the duration. How long where you there?

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-07, 07:14 PM
As for Wind Walk though, the cleric did have it - we used it to get to the location in first place.

Next time have the cleric prepare it twice or at least have it one copy in a scroll.

I mean you are coming back? Cause after

me and the gnome can ride off to the sunset on my puppy while they run/ride and hope for the best.

you still leave a whole mess of undead behind Mr. Paladin.

Animefunkmaster
2009-07-07, 07:17 PM
Another option, depending on the evocations, is simply wall up and get the casters to re-prepare spells.

Tafkan
2009-07-07, 07:23 PM
Well, Wind Walk should be active still, it last for hour/lvl, you can just resume the flight at any time during the duration. How long where you there?
We used it to very conveniently pass a swamp, a mountain range and all the random encounters there as well. Technically it shouldn't have lasted that long, but the DM just added a bit of time to let us reach the destination instead of dropping in some random place. :smallyuk:

you still leave a whole mess of undead behind Mr. Paladin.
The local nomads are usually Evil, so that counts as a good deed, right? :smalleek:

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-07, 07:25 PM
The local nomads are usually Evil, so that counts as a good deed, right? :smalleek:

Er...um...hmm...

Maybe it's best to use a commune spell with the gods/DM on this one once you are back to safety.

Edit: How much time do you estimate that you have to try to "fix" the problem before you have make an escape?

Stormageddon
2009-07-07, 07:28 PM
I second putting it back and hoping you have a nice DM.

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-07, 07:43 PM
At least try putting it back to see if that buys you any time or not. Then see if there's a way to take it without setting off the curse by taking the proper time to examine the ancient writings. If not, well it'll only waste 1 round of your running away time.

Otherwise, there's always divine intervention? :smallwink:

Tafkan
2009-07-07, 07:54 PM
Edit: How much time do you estimate that you have to try to "fix" the problem before you have make an escape?
At movement rate of 30, it's probably around 20-30 minutes or so, until the last ones have finally arrived and we're completely surrounded and overwhelmed. Think it's worth it to stay any longer than necessary just to see if we can cause the skeletons to roll over and die (again)?

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-07, 08:11 PM
Think it's worth it to stay any longer than necessary just to see if we can cause the skeletons to roll over and die (again)?

I think so. Some of the other posters have suggested the same.

I think leaving behind a horde of undead is a bad thing even if the locals are "evil". Since you have a little time, you can try to fix the problem by undoing whatever you did.

You can't help anything by having a TPK however. If you fail to stop the undead, you can use your paladin steed and the phantom steed to get away before you get surrounded and overrun.

One thing to watch out for though...maybe the skelies were just the first wave of undead to come out. As the rounds pass, more advanced, faster and flying undead like spectres might arrive. If that happens, then a quick escape may be called for.

Tafkan
2009-07-07, 08:19 PM
Grand, "spend a few rounds searching and order retreat on first sign of danger" it is then. Thanks again for help, I'll post the results after the session. :smallsmile:

Animefunkmaster
2009-07-07, 08:30 PM
We used it to very conveniently pass a swamp, a mountain range and all the random encounters there as well. Technically it shouldn't have lasted that long, but the DM just added a bit of time to let us reach the destination instead of dropping in some random place. :smallyuk:

So 20 hours of flying (seriously time to rest). Your in that brief 4 hour gap where windwalk isn't available. What scrolls and what form of maneuverability/walls are available from spells? I am going on a limb and guessing the wizard must have a few pearls of power (he isn't buying armor, the gp must go somewhere). Maybe a lv 6 one the cleric can use to get some people flying again.

If the desert is literally filled with hostile undead swarming toward you, running out on foot (or mounted) in the dessert is a seriously bad idea. You need some form of maneuverability that could get you by undetected or at least out of threatened squares.

Mattarias, King.
2009-07-07, 11:15 PM
Pff, you're a twentieh-level party against a bunch of human skellies. I say the only solution is to FIGHT! WIN! Glory for the unending light! Muster your courage and strike with all your might! CHAAARRGGEE! :smallfurious:

Tyrmatt
2009-07-08, 05:22 AM
Assuming these are fairly weak, standard undeads, your cleric must still have a tonne of Turn Undead uses left for the day. Readied Actions of Turn Undead to trigger when say 3 or more undead threaten the party at once should let you cook these fools without a thought.

BobVosh
2009-07-08, 05:47 AM
Anyway to give the fighter types DR somewhere near 5 that isn't overcome by the bludgeoning/slashing/piercing? Once you get 10 he is invulnerable. Find a choke point and he will do it. All of it. DR 5/- will win this fight. Every hour or so maybe, MAYBE, the cleric will have to cast a spell. Assuming he has a decent AC (more than 27) those skeles will only hit on 20. Then do like 1D6 + 2 if I remember them correctly. Average damage per hit againist DR 5: .5 After an hour he will have taken 30 damage.

Adamantine armor can do DR 3/- on full plate. Assuming +3 armor (way low on this level obviously), a +3 heavy steel shield he is hit only only 20s. Takes 2.5 per hit. Is hit every 2 minutes. So 75 damage in an hour. Two CCW is 76 at this level. The cleric should have heal, which is 150 garenteed. Three spells and three hours.

If your wizard has a decent spell list you will all get out, after he rest behind the fighter shield. Then the cleric + wizard can easily destroy them when you come back. Or just buff the paladin to the point he can just cleave through the entire horde with no threat of danger.

Obviously this all hinges on a 5ft wide corridor. If one is hard to find, make one with forcewall/wall of iron/stone/ice/tacos. Whatever wall your wizard felt most comfortable with. Major creation in full plate made of admantine if needed. Have the rogue "tank" against the horridly weak skeles while the paladin dons it.

Out of curiousity...where does the paladin's mount go and come from if the planar effects are cut off?

Note: replace "fighter" with paladin for every sentence I used "fighter" in.

Haedrian
2009-07-08, 06:21 AM
Get everyone to cut off their little finger, use expeditous retreat to get someone out, who then has everyone else ressurrected.

Sorted!

Otherwise, if I was the DM, I'd have all the undead attack the guy carrying the Mc Guffin - remember, zombies/skellies can't move and attack same turn.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-08, 06:29 AM
Your level 20. I'd draw my sword and just yell out at the top of your lungs:

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Gorbash
2009-07-08, 06:39 AM
Otherwise, if I was the DM, I'd have all the undead attack the guy carrying the Mc Guffin - remember, zombies/skellies can't move and attack same turn.

Zombies can't. Skeletons can.

Farlion
2009-07-08, 09:26 AM
First I have to say: Lovely setting, awesome roleplay by your gnomerogue (deliberately or not) and very cool situation.

Second: Look for the secret passage way out. There's always a secret passage way out! Ther must be! It's the law!

And if that doesn't work, run for it, hack and slash your way out if necessary. Depending on your wizards spells, it could be very easy, just teleport or fly your way out. And any good wizard should at least be able to save himself :-P

All of it. DR 5/- will win this fight. Every hour or so maybe, MAYBE, the cleric will have to cast a spell. Assuming he has a decent AC (more than 27) those skeles will only hit on 20.

Do you really play your game like that? Can a fighter swing his sword for hour after hour without anyone in your group thinking this is somewhat odd?
If my players fight for more than 15 minutes without rest, I start asking for Fort saves or render them fatigued (and eventually exhausted). It actually makes fights more tactical, since you can actually wear down PCs with enough lower level NPCs.

Cheers,
Farlion