PDA

View Full Version : The impossibility of modern gaming.

Ricky S
2009-07-07, 07:32 PM
With the current way things are, everything has moved online, including gaming so I was wondering when the event of real life gaming will break down totally? Long gone are the days of a group of nerdy friends playing dnd, who all happened to live in the same neighbour hood.

Now days with the increase in transport both public and domestic the neighbour hood friends of the past are now the city wide friends of now. No longer do games spontaneously errupt when friends randomly visit your house (if they do, tell me where I can get some of those friends) current games have to be meticulously organised and planned requiring a near impossible effort to find times that fit all of your friends.

But with this new online gaming we have lost the point of the game, we are now faceless players, to a faceless DM. The games themselves have changed dramatically. What once took hours to play now has become months as you have to wait for each player to reply to a single action. It is harder to coordinate as well having some players frequently posting while others only occasionaly. Sure the problem of timing is sovled in the way that you can play whenever you have a free moment but it has lost the novelty of pushing small figurines around a gridded map and watch as they take down a dragon.

Have we moved away from the fun of our childhoods into the intense pressurised powergaming of the internet?

RS14
2009-07-07, 07:34 PM
It may just be that you're getting older. Older students tend to attend schools that draw from a larger area, so your friends are less likely to live near you.

Eldan
2009-07-07, 07:36 PM
My main problem is that all my friends have moved to other countries when they started attending universities. So I've only ever "seen" them online.

Ricky S
2009-07-07, 07:47 PM
Alas it is true, I am getting older, attending university in a different city did nothing to help my gaming future. Eldan I agree with you exactly in the fact that we no longer can see our friends except online, but how sad is that? It's hardly as if you even know the people anymore. I recently went to a party where I met all my old friends and they had changed so much that it was hard to even know how to talk to them. But once online we talked easily. I dont know, but I really dont like the current society. I envy the older generations who seemed to have a simpler life, one without internet, where everyone knew eachother and kids played boardgames or ran around outside rather than play video games.

I know that people move on, but it is impossible to find a new gaming group because there aren't people who would even be interested in it where I currently am. I am called a geek for even reading webcomics :smalleek:

thubby
2009-07-07, 07:48 PM
people thought the radio would doom reading (most notably newspaper), then that tv would doom the radio (and reading).
as the track record for killing paper has failed in every instance to date, i doubt tabletop gaming is going anywhere.

Mando Knight
2009-07-07, 07:50 PM
I know that people move on, but it is impossible to find a new gaming group because there aren't people who would even be interested in it where I currently am. I am called a geek for even reading webcomics :smalleek:

Okay, you are in the wrong university. At mine (http://www.mst.edu/), you're kinda out of the loop if you're not a geek. I mean a real one.

Trog
2009-07-07, 07:52 PM
Not for me. I still game around the table with the same guys I did back in high school 20+ years ago and we game nearly as often now as we did back then. Only the edition of the game has changed, basically. :smallbiggrin:

Ricky S
2009-07-07, 07:56 PM
Hmm that is true, but have you noticed that since the advent of radio and then tv newspapers are no longer the dominant method of information.

I have no doubt that table top gaming will continue but it is definately in decline.

(or maybe its just because I am getting older, another question then: Does this happen for every generation of gamer?)

Ricky S
2009-07-07, 07:57 PM
Not for me. I still game around the table with the same guys I did back in high school 20+ years ago and we game nearly as often now as we did back then. Only the edition of the game has changed, basically. :smallbiggrin:

Arrh I am so jealous, my gaming group broke up at the end of grade 12.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-07, 08:00 PM
Hmm that is true, but have you noticed that since the advent of radio and then tv newspapers are no longer the dominant method of information.

I have no doubt that table top gaming will continue but it is definately in decline.

(or maybe its just because I am getting older, another question then: Does this happen for every generation of gamer?)
Don't worry, I saw some young, early teens at latest, people playing D&D at the local library at one of the tables. It was a sight that warmed the cockles of my heart.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-07, 08:02 PM
What makes you say that tabletop gaming is in a decline? And don't give me the "technology is improving, thus it must be" BS. Proof man.

But yeah, I think you are just talking about your own experiences in growing up.

And Trog you are seriously lucky if you still have your old gaming group. Lucky or just stubborn.

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-07, 08:02 PM
It was a sight that warmed the cockles of my heart.

Why do you have cardiac shellfish?

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-07, 08:06 PM
Hmm, beats me, I've yet to play a game with live people. It's always been online. You can do it like in chatrooms though, so that everyone can have their say in real time.

Really, I like it because you can look over exactly what is going on and take a moment to think up a good response. There is little room for someone not hearing something, because all they gotta do is scroll up.

I consider it a mixture between writing a book and a choose your own adventure story. I'm leading it, but the characters will up and do things I'd never have thought of.

Ricky S
2009-07-07, 08:07 PM
What makes you say that tabletop gaming is in a decline? And don't give me the "technology is improving, thus it must be" BS. Proof man.

But yeah, I think you are just talking about your own experiences in growing up.

And Trog you are seriously lucky if you still have your old gaming group. Lucky or just stubborn.

Well I am basing this off my experiences. Since Dragon magazine died there has been less players getting into Dnd in my area. The local comic book guy who happened to sell all sorts of gaming items, even commented on it saying that he had been seeing less and less people buying dnd merchandice. While this may be an anomally of the area I am in it could also be a sign of more things to come. Not only that but all the gaming groups I knew of are no longer running any games, their miniatures sitting dormant in storage.

Lappy9000
2009-07-07, 08:08 PM
With the current way things are, everything has moved online, including gaming so I was wondering when the event of real life gaming will break down totally? Long gone are the days of a group of nerdy friends playing dnd, who all happened to live in the same neighbour hood. In my opinion, it's a good thing that those days are gone. While my history of gaming may not be as sharpened as other topics, I believe that in the past, D&D was reserved to a relatively small social group who were occasionally ostracized for their gaming habits.

In both of the games I'm currently in, only about half of the players would fit into the typical 'nerd' stereotype, and some of the players have never done any RPG work before a few weeks ago. For me, it's a fun way to hang out with friends for a few hours; is it really that hard to get everyone to take Sundays off?

When it comes to spontaneous games, I honestly have no idea how you'd pull that off. Even for myself (I tend to DM with a single paragraph written out), I need a lot of planning in advance to get the general plot worked out. While I'll occasionally do the "You find yourselves in a dungeonforest. What do you do?" I've never done a single 100% spontaneous game.

Even most of the players often jump into some form of MMORPG. Basically, I'm not really sure what the problem is (assuming gaming companies don't go under, but that's neither here not there).

Ravens_cry
2009-07-07, 08:11 PM
Only place fitting for the ultimate slow cookery. Let them stew for a few years, then serve them blood warm. Getting out will be a bit of a doozie though.:smalltongue:

Ricky S
2009-07-07, 08:13 PM
In my opinion, it's a good thing that those days are gone. While my history of gaming may not be as sharpened as other topics, I believe that in the past, D&D was reserved to a relatively small social group who were occasionally ostracized for their gaming habits.

In both of the games I'm currently in, only about half of the players would fit into the typical 'nerd' stereotype, and some of the players have never done any RPG work before a few weeks ago. For me, it's a fun way to hang out with friends for a few hours; is it really that hard to get everyone to take Sundays off?

When it comes to spontaneous games, I honestly have no idea how you'd pull that off. Even for myself (I tend to DM with a single paragraph written out), I need a lot of planning in advance to get the general plot worked out. While I'll occasionally do the "You find yourselves in a dungeonforest. What do you do?" I've never done a single 100% spontaneous game.

Even most of the players often jump into some form of MMORPG. Basically, I'm not really sure what the problem is (assuming gaming companies don't go under, but that's neither here not there).

The "spontaneous" gaming was a slight exaggeration. Planning is still involved but I remember hearing stories about friends just calling up and in a couple of hours they are all playing dnd. When I was with my gaming group it was impossible to get all 5 of us there on a regular date for gaming. Someone always had something else to do.

Innis Cabal
2009-07-07, 08:13 PM
is it really that hard to get everyone to take Sundays off?

For most of the working world? Ya. It is if the people you work for are open sunday.

As to the topic, i've yet to see it, if anything there seems to be a surge.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-07, 08:14 PM
Homebrewing... juices...flowing...

Lappy9000
2009-07-07, 08:16 PM
The "spontaneous" gaming was a slight exaggeration. Planning is still involved but I remember hearing stories about friends just calling up and in a couple of hours they are all playing dnd. When I was with my gaming group it was impossible to get all 5 of us there on a regular date for gaming. Someone always had something else to do.Oh, okay. We do that pretty regularly.

Facebook is an awesome utility for keeping everyone up to date.

For most of the working world? Ya. It is if the people you work for are open sunday.I can honestly say I've never had that problem. Stacking D&D with church tends to help :smallbiggrin:

Innis Cabal
2009-07-07, 08:17 PM
Your really really lucky then. Because I can assure you its not even a somewhat common case for most.

TheThan
2009-07-07, 08:19 PM
While I do a lot of gaming online I still manage to find the time to get together with my real life friends. I’ve been friends with these guys since high school. We started playing rpgs together and we make a concentrated effort to get together and game. While we can’t get together every Friday, we often are able to make it and spend quality together as friends.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-07, 08:23 PM
Have we moved away from the fun of our childhoods into the intense pressurised powergaming of the internet?

Because obviously the style of a game depends completely on whether you play online or in real life.

Rhawin
2009-07-07, 08:38 PM
I can honestly say I've never had that problem. Stacking D&D with church tends to help :smallbiggrin:

I consider PnP roleplaying a religion. And, as we all know, effects of the same type don't stack :smalltongue:

Trog
2009-07-07, 08:43 PM
Probably a bit of both. :smallwink:

Lappy9000
2009-07-07, 08:47 PM
I consider PnP roleplaying a religion. And, as we all know, effects of the same type don't stack :smalltongue:Unless they're circumstance bonuses.

Keld Denar
2009-07-07, 08:52 PM
Okay, you are in the wrong university. At mine (http://www.mst.edu/), you're kinda out of the loop if you're not a geek. I mean a real one.

Ah, Tech School...where the odds are good, but the goods are odd! At least thats what my sister said when she went to MTU (http://www.mtu.edu).

All in all, the death of Living Greyhawk has severly cut down on my spontaneous gamingness. I've been living the sort of lifestyle for the last 7-8 years that is VERY non-condusive to regularly scheduled gaming, let alone finding a group. The greatest thing about LG was that I had my character binders with all my certs and ARs, and I could post on active message boards when I was going to be in certain region. Friendly gaming peoples would help me organize a LG event in return for my promise of bribery of a sandwichy (http://www.subway.com) nature (gamers are SO easy) and when my business was concluded, I would meet up, play the awesome LG game, get my AR, enjoy gaming, companionship, and sandwiches, and continue on with my merry life. I met a goodly amount of people doing this, many of whom are still close to my heart. I still have my LG characters, and last time I moved, I lovingly ran my fingers over their binders graced with work by the Giant himself before leafing through pages upon pages of ARs aquired from all over the US (and Canadia too, eh!). Good times.

Yea...I just can't get behind Living Realms, the 4e incarnation of LG. The collapse of the multi-region system, each with its own flavor and PRIDE, was part of the amazingness that has sadly pasted. Never mind the actual mechanics of 4e, I miss the FEEL of LG.

RIP Living Greyhawk, and thank you to all those who shared memories with Wyvernhand, Karsis, Durkon, and the rest.

valadil
2009-07-07, 10:12 PM

Yes, this does happen when you reach a certain age. For me it was when I went to college (though I eventually found pen and paper players there too).

Once you leave college and enter the real world, it happens there too but in a different way. You can still have games but they have to be regularly occurring or meticulously scheduled. This has nothing to do with the times changing but with you actually having a life (no offense to whatever you did in high school) and needing to use a calendar to get 4-6 people to get together.

valadil
2009-07-07, 10:13 PM
Yea...I just can't get behind Living Realms, the 4e incarnation of LG. The collapse of the multi-region system, each with its own flavor and PRIDE, was part of the amazingness that has sadly pasted. Never mind the actual mechanics of 4e, I miss the FEEL of LG.

At least the paperwork isn't as bad. I never got into LG because of the certs, despite how cool the regional shenanigans seemed.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-07, 10:33 PM
I regularly game with RL people. only reason I'm running a campaign online is so that I can playtest it before actually playing it out next summer. still in debate whether to do 4.0 or 3.5

Sholos
2009-07-07, 11:18 PM
I don't think tabletop gaming is going anywhere soon. I know of at least two gaming stores within 30 minutes of me that are both enjoying a fair amount of business. One even holds regular events and definitely sees people come out to them.

On another note, tabletop gaming provides so much more than electronic gaming.

For one, there's the sheer level of freedom. The only way you're limited is by your imagination (and, of course, stats determine whether you're successful or not, but nothing prevents you from trying).

Two, as far as roleplaying games go (and I'm talking about serious in-depth roleplaying here), tabletop is the most efficient way to game with other people. Online stuff can take forever if you're doing a lot of dice rolling. Heck, even simple storytelling (and I mean "simple" only in that the execution isn't nearly as ... byzantine) can take a while, because you have to sit and wait for people to post, and so what might take three hours in real life takes a whole week on the web.

Three, the sheer level of personal connection you get from being with other people. Someone mentioned radios and TVs (followed by the Net) removing the newspaper as the dominant source of information in today's society. That's pretty much true. However, reading a newspaper isn't exactly all that interactive, except with the people who happen to be around you at the time. Radio and TV provide that same level of interaction, and online news connects you with all manner of people (most of them idiots, but you take the good with the bad). You're never really interacting with anybody. You are interacting with people in a tabletop RPG, though, and the online experience takes away from that. It's pretty difficult to share a pizza and beer (or other beverage of your choice, offer may be limited by local laws) with someone over the Internet.

Serpentine
2009-07-07, 11:25 PM
Long gone are the days of a group of nerdy friends playing dnd, who all happened to live in the same neighbour hood. Really? :smallconfused:

>thinks about the 6 other people in or joining the game I'm DMing<
>considers the 5ish other games, each with 5+ players, I know about that friends or people I know are playing<
>remembers the local hobby store with its large collection of D&D books, D&D minis and Warhammer figurines<
>glances at posters for Vampire and Werewolf LARPs<

I hadn't noticed.

Vaynor
2009-07-07, 11:33 PM
While I don't agree that tabletop gaming is in a decline, I must say there really is nothing like it. PbP and chat gaming really just can't compare.

It's my opinion that it is for this very reason tabletop gaming will never truly disappear, the alternatives aren't nearly on the same level.

Swok
2009-07-08, 12:25 AM
Let's not forget how nice online gaming CAN be: with pbp, slower pace (which made me lol at referring to online as "fast paced high pressure") means that all the people in very different timezones/schedules can easily play together. Well, at least all the pbps I've played in have been slow paced. Real time online is...yeah that's just a pale shadow of in person, but can't win em all :smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2009-07-08, 12:57 AM
Tabletop is increasing steadily; after being almost dead for 10 years or so it had a boom about 5 years ago and is still increasing.

Anyway; I fell out of the circus about 20 years ago when I changed school and lost contact with a lot of childhood friends. Luckily for me, it turned out that my wife's best friend is married to a guy that is even a bigger geek than me; and the first time we got together (5 years ago) we started talking about getting some sort of group together. He lives 3 hours away, so I only go there 6-8 times a year but I spend the weekend with friends and gaming (this makes it impossible with regular campaigns, but "long standalone adventures" works fine). We also tend to try to squeeze in other things, like Munchkin, Horrorclicks, Credo (one of my absolute favorites) and a new game or two every time.

Lupy
2009-07-08, 01:32 AM
I don't think it'll die out in the forseeable future, the experience is too wonderful, especially compared to what online games are currently.

Eldan
2009-07-08, 12:24 PM
I envy all the people who have real life groups. The worst thing currently? I spend my weekends sitting at home homebrewing campaign worlds when I know that I won't be playing real life DnD with anyone.

Also, apparently this entire country doesn't have hobby stores.