PDA

View Full Version : Disney Gargoyles PEACH

Starscream
2009-07-08, 12:57 AM
Edit
Okay, I have something now. Please let me know what you think.

Gargoyles, Disney Style

Stone statues by day and mighty warriors by night, Gargoyles are frequently set as guardians of ancient castles. They are usually honor bound to protect a single site, which they consider their home. Gargoyles typically resemble reptilian humanoids and animals, with the more human-like members of the race possessing powerful wings that allow them to glide on currents of air.

Gargoyles can be found in any environment, but are particularly fond of areas of worked stone, where they can blend in with the architecture by day. They can be of any alignment, but their strong code of honor means that they tend to be lawful. Most are natural protectors of other races and tend toward lawful good, but rare individuals may turn against their charges and those are frequently lawful evil.

Gargoyles tend to dwell in areas inhabited by other races due to their symbiotic relationship with them. By protecting communities of other creatures at night, they can be sure of receiving protection themselves during the day when they are relatively helpless.

Creating a Gargoyle
"Gargoyle" is a template that can be added to any humanoid or animal.

Size and Type
The creature's type changes to Monstrous Humanoid if originally humanoid, and Magical Beast if originally an animal.

Speed
A Gargoyle's speed is ten feet higher than the base creature. They also receive a climb speed equal to half their land speed, and a glide speed (see below).

Armor Class
Gargoyles receive a +4 bonus to their natural armor due to their tough leathery hide. Gargoyles can wear armor like other creatures, but their wings mean that this armor needs to be specially made to suit their physiology.

Attacks and Damage
A gargoyle receives two claw attacks that deal 1d6 damage for a medium creature, 1d4 for a small, and 1d8 for a large. The creature retains any other natural attacks it possessed. If it already has claw attacks, use whichever damage is higher.

Skills
Gargoyles receive a +8 racial bonus to Climb checks, and can take ten on these checks even when threatened. They receive a +4 racial bonus to hide checks whenever in an area of stone or full of statues. By unfurling their wings they get a +4 bonus to Balance checks.

Abilities
+4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -2 charisma. Gargoyles tend to be gruff and serious, but are excellent warriors.

Favored Class
Fighter

Special Qualities

Gliding (Ex): Gargoyles that were humanoid before applying the template gain wings. A gargoyle can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Gargoyles glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A gargoyle can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a gargoyle becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The gargoyle descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.

Stone Sleep (Su): Gargoyles are only animate creatures at night. By day they become statues, incapable of movement. When the sun rises the gargoyle instantly transforms to stone, whether or not it is actually exposed to the sunlight. As a statue the gargoyle has Hardness 20 and as many hit points as it does when awake. It is immune to electricity damage. If a Gargoyle is attacked while asleep it can attempt a Fortitude save (DC = 20 - damage dealt) to awaken. If it succeeds it regains its normal form for one minute. During this time it can act normally, but is dazzled. At the end of the minute if the threat is still present it can attempt another Fort save to stay awake, but with a DC of (20 + 1 per previous save). If it falls asleep again it can be awoken again as before.

Sleeping as a statue rejuvenates a gargoyle. If its sleep is uninterupted throughout the day it awakes with full hit points. The effects of poisons will be undone. Diseases will not be automatically cured, but the gargoyle will take no ability damage during the time it actually spends as stone. If the gargoyle's sleep is interrupted during the day, the hit points cured are halved for each time it wakes up. For example, if a gargoyle goes to sleep with 20 hp of damage and is undisturbed, it will awaken with all 20 damage healed. If it wakes up once it will heal only 10 at nightfall. If awoken twice it will heal only 5. This replaces the natural healing normal creatures get, and a gargoyle does not naturally heal otherwise.

Cure spells function normally on gargoyles when they are awake, but not when they sleep. Mending acts as a cure light wounds spell when they are stone, but it rarely necessary unless an interruption to their sleep is expected. When sleeping Stone Shape affects them like an Inflict Moderate Wounds spell and Stone to Flesh awakens them without any ill effects. Spells that affect objects, such as disintegrate, still treat the Gargoyle like a living creature when cast. When awake any sort of petrification effect simply makes them go to sleep, and they can awaken normally at nightfall.

It takes a DC 20 spot check to tell a sleeping gargoyle from a normal statue. Detect magic will reveal a faint transmutation aura, and True Seeing reveals them as they really are.

Being rendered unconscious does not cause a gargoyle to automatically transform. Only dawn or petrification magic causes this change.

Level Adjustment
+3.

Debihuman
2009-07-08, 04:04 AM
Well this is how Reveille over at EnWorld statted them. [I'm taking this verbatim as to what was written so any mistakes should be sent there]

Gargoyles: Isnspired From Disney show of same name

Gargoyles As Characters
Choose Size: Small, Medium or Large

Small Gargoyles: +4 Dex, +4 Con
Medium Gargoyles: +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con
Large Gargoyles: +4 Str, +4 Con

Speed: A gargoyle's base land speed 30 feet. It also has a glide speed of 180 feet.
Low-light vision
Racial Hit Dice: A gargoyle begins with monstrous humanoid levels based on the size of the gargoyle. Small 2d8, Medium 3D8 and Large 4D8. The gargoyle has a base attack bonus equal to the number of hit dice it has. The gargoyle has good base save bonuses for its Ref and Will and a poor base save bonus for its Fort.
Racial Skills: The garoyle gains a number of skill points based on the following formula: (2 + Intelligence modifier, min 1) x (HD+3). Its class skills are Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot. The gargoyle has a +2 racial bonus on Climb, Listen and Spot checks. Against a background of stone the gargoyle has a +8 racial bonus on its Hide checks. Gargoyles never need rope to climb a surface. Their talons are long and sharp enough to allow them the ability to climb any surface.
Racial Feats: The gargoyles' monstrous humanoid lets it start gameplay with a number of feats equal to its hit dice.
Natural Armor Bonus: Gargoyles have a natural Armor bonus equal to the amount of racial hit dice it has.
Damage Reduction (Ex): The gargoyle has DR 10/magic. While in Stone Sleep the gargoyle has DR 20/Bludgeoning & Magic
Freeze (Ex): A gargoyle can hold itself still that it appears to be a statue. Observers must succeed at an opposed Spot check with the DC equal to 15 + the garoyles' Hide check.
Stone Sleep (Ex): Like most other living creatures, gargoyles require sleep. Sleep is vital to healing the body and refreshing the mind. The gargoyle is capable of sleeping like any other mortal creature, but when the gargoyle enters Stone Sleep, she heals at double the normal rate. The gargoyle can choose how long it wants to remain in Stone Sleep, although the gargoyle cannot sleep for less than eight hours. In heavily urbanized areas, gargoyles will choose to awaken at dusk, as the they prefer the nightlife as it the perfect cover for their activities.
Tooth & Claw (Ex): Garoyles are ferocious combatants. They gain Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. When the make a claw attack they deal D8+ Str damage. When making a Bite attack they deal D6 + Str damage.
Automtic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages such as Druidic).
Favored Class: Any.
LA: +3
ECL: Small +5, Medium +6, Large +7

It was noted that the feats are wrong. Small gargoyles should have one feat and the Medium and Large gargoyles should have two feats. They don't need Unarmed Strike because they have natural weapons and they should have a Climb speed along with the commensurate +8 racial bonus to Climb checks.

Debby

Starscream
2009-07-08, 03:05 PM
Okay, that's not a bad start. It still doesn't allow creatures like Bronx, and I'll still need to get rid of the DR and change the effects of Stone Sleep to be automatic, but I think it's workable.

dropdadgbe
2009-07-08, 03:36 PM
Second, they don't just pretend to be stone, they actually turn into stone during the day. I'm pretty sure this happens even if they are indoors or underground. It's a pretty crippling weakness, and I think it should be worth at least a -2 to LA. But...
If you ask me, I don't think this should be taken into account. If the gargoyle in question is a player character, how often are they really going to be asleep while the session goes on around them?--it'd be a pretty mean DM to just make them watch while everyone else plays. And if it's an NPC, either they're going to be awake when the party meets them and just as effective as if they didn't have stone sleep, or they're going to be asleep and completely harmless.

My second option is to turn this into a template instead of a race. That would allow for the large amount of diversity among the race. The average gargoyle could be obtained by applying it to a human, but the much smaller Lexington would be a Gargoyle/Halfling or Gnome and Bronx would be a dog or wolf.
If you do decide to go with the template option, consider looking at half-dragons (and maybe some of the other "half" templates) for inspiration. They get stuff like wings and a fly speed based on their size and hit dice--though I'd double check what you said about Gargoyles gliding instead of flying; I've got a nagging feeling I've seen them take off from the ground (though I might just be remembering Xanatos' suit).

If they do glide, the Hadozee's in Stormwrack have decent rules as far as how far they go laterally relative to how far they fall vertically.

Personally, I'd make Bronx a different creature type entirely.

Starscream
2009-07-08, 04:19 PM
If you ask me, I don't think this should be taken into account. If the gargoyle in question is a player character, how often are they really going to be asleep while the session goes on around them?--it'd be a pretty mean DM to just make them watch while everyone else plays.

I see it as being equivalent to a vampire's allergy to sunlight. The more inconvenient a weakness is, the better the strengths you can give to make up for it without the LA going into the stratosphere.

I'm going to include a way for them to wake up during the day if they are attacked, though. They shouldn't be completely helpless, even then. Even though they don't follow the day/night cycles, most adventuring parties do end up adhering to a rough daily schedule simply due to the need of spellcasters to regain their slots.

A Gargoyle in the party should simply mean that they adjust their schedule so that everyone in the party rests by day instead of by night, no different then you would if you had a vampire in the group.

I've got a nagging feeling I've seen them take off from the ground (though I might just be remembering Xanatos' suit).

If they do glide, the Hadozee's in Stormwrack have decent rules as far as how far they go laterally relative to how far they fall vertically.

Finally confirmed this. Yes, they do glide. In one of the first episodes Goliath specifically says that he must climb a building because he can't gain altitude unless there is an updraft. I can't be certain the writers/animators always remembered this rule, but they did go so far as to explicitly state it.

Lyndworm
2009-07-08, 04:20 PM
Bronx should be another creature entirely, as suggested by Dropdadgbe. It might be workable as a separate template, but I'd suggest writing up a unique entry. They're called garg-beasts, and they're all about the same size as Bronx, though with varying dimensions and body styles. It's important to note that none of them have wings. For more Gargoyles information go here (http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/faq/). It contains rather detailed cultural and biological information from the show's creator, Greg Weisman.

Debihuman
2009-07-12, 12:29 AM
Ohh I like this a lot. Sorry,I was caught up on posting Piratey stuff and missed the update. It looks really good.

Have you tried making any of the gargoyles with this?

Debby

Starscream
2009-07-12, 02:48 PM
Have you tried making any of the gargoyles with this?

My players intend to make their own, so no, but I have a general idea of how they'd be built.

You'd obtain Goliath by applying the template to a high level human fighter. Probably the same goes for Brooklyn and Hudson (although some might say Hudson kind of resembles a dwarf). Demona would probably be a Fighter/Rogue. Broadway might be a fighter/barbarian, and Bronx would be a Dire Wolf.

Not sure what class is appropriate for Lexington, although his size and personality make me think of him as a Gnome. Maybe a fighter with levels of artificer.