PDA

View Full Version : Ninja/Pirate multiclass

oxinabox
2009-07-08, 02:26 AM
I'm running a sailing campaign and we were making characters last night.
so i was encoraging the players to take some nautical prestige classes.

One of my players decided to be a ninja, I was like sure cool. (it's half monk, half rogue)
Much more interesting than the pure Dwarf fighter my little brother was dead set on playing (great to have someone how wants to actually take simple way, and block the damage from the party - even if he will sink like the stone: the wizard/archivist mystic theurge Is going to cast fly on him)

I continues to try to convince people that we needed some one who can pass a profession sailing check, and lead the crew.
I showed them the Dread pirate PrC.
and he the guy who was going ninja (I didn't make the link at the time) decided he would take some levels of it.l
He met all the requirements.

except Quick Draw, but that was my fault. I didn't tell him (an he's a new player)
I think he'll come to regret not having it since:
*Pirate confers two weopon fighting
*ninja confers ability to climb as a move action at full speed so long as he has one hand free
*He has spring attack, and plans to spring down/up the mast
* he is of that Gliding monkey race that move about 20 ft for every 5 ft he falls, so he plans to climb at lot of mast.
.'. i'm going to suggest he hold of on finishing getting spring attack (it's a 3 feat sequence) and gets quick draw, since mast springing no good if you have to spend a move action sheathing one of you weapons.

Now back to the main topic of my post (i sidetrack my self so easily)
It's surprising how well ninja lends itself to being a pirate.
(then agian i made a house rule that says every on adds Proffesion sailor and one other nautical related skill to the class skill list.)
I also found (using home brewed 4ed classes - variant fighter and rogue) that Pirate and Ninja Make a Great Team.

Have we been mistaken all along in the great pirate vs ninja debate?

Yuki Akuma
2009-07-08, 06:23 AM
Why would you need to add Profession (sailor) to everyone's class list? Profession is already on every class skill list!

Gaiyamato
2009-07-08, 06:25 AM
Why would you need to add Profession (sailor) to everyone's class list? Profession is already on every class skill list!

It is not on Barbarian or Fighter and quite an interestingly large volume of non-core base classes. :P

elliott20
2009-07-08, 06:47 AM
mixing ninjas with pirates? You toy with forces you do not understand, mortal!!

Human Paragon 3
2009-07-08, 09:47 AM
Wait, what gliding monkey race? I am intrigued.

Blackjackg
2009-07-08, 10:15 AM

Hadozee. It's in Stormwrack. Though they're really more gliding gorillas or gliding orangutans.

woodenbandman
2009-07-08, 11:01 AM
Yeah that book is pretty cool. I love the Darfellans as well.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-08, 11:01 AM

It's very rarely used except in completely aquatic games (and is rare even then, from what I've seen), because no one can resist all the sea monkey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-Monkeys) jokes, and those get old fast.

Haven
2009-07-08, 11:04 AM
That sounds like a really fun character to play.

If you're feeling especially benevolent/want to reward the player who stepped up when you asked, you could houserule that Dread Pirates get Quick Draw as a bonus feat, instead of needing to take it as a requirement.

PanNarrans
2009-07-08, 01:03 PM
...no one can resist all the sea monkey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-Monkeys) jokes, and those get old fast.

Goshdarnit to heck, Hadozee communes are reasonably important in my campaign and now I'm never going to be able to get that out of my head.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-08, 01:13 PM
What.

Ninja/Pirate?

Know this. There is a hell, and when you arrive, I shall visit such horrors upon you as are unspeakable in this mortal realm.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-08, 01:39 PM
Goshdarnit to heck, Hadozee communes are reasonably important in my campaign and now I'm never going to be able to get that out of my head.

See what I mean? The slightest suggestion of a joke and the whole thing goes to Baator in a handbasket. :smallbiggrin:

Random832
2009-07-08, 01:46 PM
What.

Ninja/Pirate?

Know this. There is a hell, and when you arrive, I shall visit such horrors upon you as are unspeakable in this mortal realm.

What about....

Ninja//Pirate?

:smallbiggrin:

(there's got to be a pirate base class somewhere)

Rasilak
2009-07-08, 01:54 PM
What about....

Ninja//Pirate?
You're toying with powerful forces here. (http://xkcd.com/419/)

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-08, 01:58 PM
Pirates? Ninjas? A Jedi craves not these things...

Kosjsjach
2009-07-08, 02:00 PM

I think the closest you're gonna find is the swashbuckler (which, interestingly, segues perfectly into Dread Pirate thanks to the free Weapon Finesse).

EDIT: Not really contributive to the OP's question, but I also wanted to voice my approbation for the Hadozee and Darfellan races.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm missing something crucial regarding the "sea monkey" jokes. So it's a type of shrimp...? Is that it?

Blackjackg
2009-07-08, 02:18 PM
The Hadozee never did much for me. Darfellan is kind of cool, though.

As for pirate classes, there is the Mariner from the Dragonlance setting (originally in Age of Mortals, updated in Legend of the Twins).

Jalor
2009-07-08, 02:25 PM
Half-Golem Corpse Creature Hadozee Ninja/Dread Pirate.

It's a Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot Monkey.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-08, 02:43 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure I'm missing something crucial regarding the "sea monkey" jokes. So it's a type of shrimp...? Is that it?

Hadozee are chimps that sail on the ocean. Ocean chimps. Sea monkeys. Basically, someone rolls up a hadozee, someone else notes that sea monkeys are actually shrimp, and everyone else keeps comparing the hadozee to shrimps and picturing a shrimp dressed as a pirate. It's the same idea as when someone says "Don't think of a pink elephant" and that's all you can think of.

See also these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Live_Sea_Monkeys) sea monkeys.

Hat-Trick
2009-07-08, 05:44 PM
Ah, the illusion crumbles. I applaud your success. Ninjas and Pirates have been at war for too long. The senseless slaughter must cease...

To begin again on the Cowboys. :smalltongue:

But, seriously, give your player a cookie. That's awesome.

chiasaur11
2009-07-08, 06:10 PM
Pirates? Ninjas? A Jedi craves not these things...

Which is probably why so many of them go out like punks.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-08, 06:45 PM
This makes complete sense. The Pirate is a swashbuckling, stealing rogue, while the Ninja is the sneaky, quiet death rogue. Their Powers Combine to create the perfect Rogue.
As much as they would like to deny it, it is probably their similarities that are the reason why they are at war.

Hat-Trick
2009-07-08, 06:57 PM
I congratulate Raven's Cry for finding the link.

oxinabox
2009-07-08, 08:24 PM
That sounds like a really fun character to play.

If you're feeling especially benevolent/want to reward the player who stepped up when you asked, you could houserule that Dread Pirates get Quick Draw as a bonus feat, instead of needing to take it as a requirement.

I admit i as tempted*, but i'm already bending the rules alot for them, free profesion.
His Weopon finese is usable with his katana (which is statisitcally a bastard sword).
So i'm upping his power already.
EDIT: i just noticed i also let him treat rapier as a light weapon for two weopon fighting, i might have to fix that. i thought it as an odd image. EDIT: no i'll let it be it's so small it should be light anyway, it's only like an inch or 2 longer than a short sword, and it has a thinner blade.
The mystic therurge has unwittingly lowerd his power, by spending 12000+gp on protecting spell and prayer books for everything, which is good.

* Maybe i'mk grant a free feat all round at the next level (level 10), if they impress me with there rp.

THe fighter, well i the fighter did nothing unususal (he refused ToB), i did however help him optimis his character Str &con +4, Hp 103 (3x that of any other player) and fullblade.

I'm trying to seek balance.

Part of the ninja pirate logic was:
As a Pirate noone would suspect he was secretly a ninja.
It is a great combo.
Ninja sneaks in gets suprise attack (read: sneak attack - flanking)
then once seen pirate lays about with his 2 blades.
Before using ninja speed climb to climb the mast and glide to safty.

Damn yoiu with your ship joke, I must tell noone of this lest i corrupt them as you have corrupted me

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-08, 08:27 PM
This makes complete sense. The Pirate is a swashbuckling, stealing rogue, while the Ninja is the sneaky, quiet death rogue. Their Powers Combine to create the perfect Rogue.

They're a perfect pair. A pirate kills people while yelling "Arrr, look at me while I stab ye, yeh lily-livered coward!"; a ninja stabs people secretly while they're distracted; a pirate/ninja does this:

"Arrr, look at me while I stab ye, yeh lily-livered coward!"

*stabbity*

*disappears*

*heads turn*

:smallconfused:

"Arrr, look this way, yeh mangy curs!"

*stabbity*

*disappears*

*heads turn*

:smalleek:

"Arrr, over here, yeh bastards!"

*stabbity*

*disappears*

*heads turn*

:smallannoyed:

"Okay! We surrender!"

*...*

"Um, anyone there?"

*...*

"We'll give you our treasure!"

*stabbity*

"Arrr, I just finished lootin' it. Thank ye, gents."

*disappears*

*heads turn*

:smallsigh:

Hat-Trick
2009-07-08, 08:31 PM
That, right there, is the coolest scene ever.

Thane of Fife
2009-07-08, 08:47 PM

The Castlemourn campaign setting has a Buccaneer base class.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 09:30 PM
I think you're forgetting rules 1940 and 1941

1940. No we cannot be pirate ninjas!
1941. That would be too badass for the space time continium.

Hat-Trick
2009-07-08, 09:32 PM
A byproduct of the illusion. Ninja Pirates, while awesome, are not too awesome for the time stream. They are, in fact, beneficial to the time stream.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-08, 09:39 PM
I think you're forgetting rules 1940 and 1941

1940. No we cannot be pirate ninjas!
1941. That would be too badass for the space time continium.
That's why I use Continuum-brand sealing caulk.
Negative Space Wedgies got you down? Sub-space Anomoly downsizing the resale value you of your universe? Untold Awesome causing it to burst at the seams?
Don't despair, Continuum-brand sealing caulk will patch those holes in a jiffy. And it's paintable, to match the cosmic background of your choice.
Order Now!

oxinabox
2009-07-09, 07:13 AM
That's why I use Continuum-brand sealing caulk.
Negative Space Wedgies got you down? Sub-space Anomoly downsizing the resale value you of your universe? Untold Awesome causing it to burst at the seams?
Don't despair, Continuum-brand sealing caulk will patch those holes in a jiffy. And it's paintable, to match the cosmic background of your choice.
Order Now!
I Like.

My prirate redid his feats and now qualitifies.
He realsied he'd forgotten the weopon finesse that his build relies on.

Nu
2009-07-09, 08:12 AM

You need more stickers.