PDA

View Full Version : Whale of a whale

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-23, 05:06 PM
Upon seeing the Legendary Bear and Tiger from the Epic Level Handbook I decided to make the nautical equivalent...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Legendary Whale

"And he piled upon the whales white hump a sum of all the rage and hate felt by his own race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it..." - Moby ****

Gargantuan Animal
Hit Dice: 44d8+443 (619 HP)
Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: Swim 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 24 (+2 dex, +16 natural, -4 size), touch 8, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +33/+50
Attack: Bite +47 melee (6d6+25)
Full attack: Bite +47 melee (6d6+25) and tail slap +32 melee (2d8+17)
Space/Reach: 30 ft./30 ft.
Special Attacks: Capsize
Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., hold breath, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +34, Ref +26, Will +17
Abilities: Str 44, Dex 15, Con 31, Int 2, Wis 16, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +26*, Jump +21, Spot +25*, Swim +32
Feats: Alertness, Awesome Blow, Diehard, Endurance, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Run, Skill Focus (jump), Stunning Fist, Toughness, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Cold Aquatic
Organization: Solitary or pod (6–11)
Challenge Rating: 16
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 45-67 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: --

As common as the stories of horrendous squid, massive sea serpents, and other horrors of the brine are the tales of great whales.

Legendary whales appear as immense cachalots and tend to appear ghostly, with white or very light grey hides that meld in with the briney foam. Unlike their smaller brethren, many legendary whales seem to have a stubborn if not outright vindictive streak. If threatened, or nearby when other pods are hunted, legendary whales are likely to trouble their opponent for as long as he is out to sea.

Legendary whales can be up to 60 feet long.

Combat:
Legendary whales prey on some of the largest creatures of the ocean and will dive down to the deepest trenches to feast on the fearsome behemoths that dwell in the darkness.

Blindsight (Ex): Whales can “see” by emitting high-frequency sounds, inaudible to most other creatures, that allow them to locate objects and creatures within 120 feet. A silence spell negates this and forces the whale to rely on its vision, which is approximately as good as a human’s.

Capsize (Ex): A submerged legendary whale that surfaces under a boat or ship less than 20 feet long capsizes the vessel 90% of the time. It has a 50% chance to capsize a vessel from 20 to 60 feet long and a 20% chance to capsize one over 60 feet long.

Hold Breath (Ex): A whale can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 8 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Skills: A legendary whale has a +10 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. *A whale has a +6 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks. These bonuses are lost if its blindsight is negated.

Darnon
2005-11-23, 05:13 PM
Could of sworn there was a great big whale like this somewhere in one of the Monster Manuals. Legendary is a template, too, IIRC.

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-23, 05:23 PM
Could of sworn there was a great big whale like this somewhere in one of the Monster Manuals
Its in none of my 3.5 books with creatures in it, and I searched through the Monster Manual, Monster Manual III, Fiend Folio, Frostburn and Stormwrack before trying to make this fellow.

Legendary is a template, too, IIRC.
I think its in Masters of the Wild, but it's a 3.0 book :-/

FuzzyLlama
2005-11-23, 05:24 PM
Nice!
But...I don't think that whales have teeth :-[

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-23, 05:29 PM
But...I don't think that whales have teeth
Killer whales, sperm whales (cachalots) and a handful of others have quite nasty teeth longer than your hand.

In fact, killer whales EAT other whales, even the great big blues.

jdrich
2005-11-23, 05:32 PM
Neither do snapping turtles.

Also of note, a 44 HD whale would be Colossal+.

Imagine an epic necromancer re-animating colossal whales as zombies, to use as a great mobile fortress.

Now imagine me wetting my pants as I reached for a notepad and pencil, furiously taking notes, because it just happened.

Seffbasilisk
2005-11-23, 05:32 PM
What about 'Swallow Whole'? A Tendriculos can do it, and it's only huge. Moby **** is Colossal.

jdrich
2005-11-23, 05:38 PM
Oh...no...can't...write...fast...enough...

Swallow hole you say? Sounds like a right good idea to me.

Also, normal whales in the srd have a tail slap. This guy might deserve a tail slap and two fin slam attacks.

Still..writing...

Gordon
2005-11-23, 05:42 PM
Oh...no...can't...write...fast...enough...

Swallow hole you say? Sounds like a right good idea to me.

No, it's just a Blow Hole. oh dear, I didn't say that out loud, did I?

Darnon
2005-11-23, 05:42 PM
Its in none of my 3.5 books with creatures in it, and I searched through the Monster Manual, Monster Manual III, Fiend Folio, Frostburn and Stormwrack before trying to make this fellow.

I think its in Masters of the Wild, but it's a 3.0 book :-/

Ah, I see what I was thinking of. The Leviathan in MMII. Right after the Legendary animals, no less. It actually has a pair of abilities similar to Capsize as well as Swallow Whole (Gulp),

As for the Legendary Template, I must have been thinking of the Monster of Legend from the same book.

I think its in Masters of the Wild, but it's a 3.0 book

I thought 3.0 material is generally considered fair play for 3.5 unless it has been superceded by 3.5 material?

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-23, 05:53 PM
Ah, I see what I was thinking of. The Leviathan in MMII. Right after the Legendary animals, no less. It actually has a pair of abilities similar to Capsize as well as Swallow Whole (Gulp),
Yeah, just found it myself. Its almost exactly what I was going for in fact. I think I might just adjust it to 3.5 and adjust it to this fellow.

I thought 3.0 material is generally considered fair play for 3.5 unless it has been superceded by 3.5 material?
From what I've found the two rules systems don't mesh very well at all. And when it comes to psionics... bah, don't mention it.

Animals in 3.0 for example don't have listed BAB's, I'm not even sure what DR 15/+1 means, and don't include what the DC of saves is based on just to name a few.

Also, normal whales in the srd have a tail slap.
Aye, had forgotten that. Added it in.

jdrich
2005-11-23, 06:01 PM
I don't really know if this creature is CR 26. I mean it's only got an AC of 20, and only 600 HP. A single level 15 fighter could take it out in 2-3 rounds.

Darnon
2005-11-23, 06:01 PM
I'm not even sure what DR 15/+1 means

DR x/+y was replaced with DR x/Magic in 3.5. Basically you need a weapon of +'y' enhancement to bypass the damage reduction.

And when it comes to psionics... bah, don't mention it.

Well, that's one item that would count as being superceded by 3.5 material. It's not like it's that hard to determine animal BAB by yourself, though. Same goes for DCs. Good judgement is a handy quality in such circumstances.

ILM
2005-11-23, 06:08 PM
Neither do snapping turtles.

Also of note, a 44 HD whale would be Colossal+.

Imagine an epic necromancer re-animating colossal whales as zombies, to use as a great mobile fortress.

Now imagine me wetting my pants as I reached for a notepad and pencil, furiously taking notes, because it just happened.
You know, by the RAW you can fit Wings of Flying on those. A slightly modified Necklace of Adaptation (no sweat for an epic necro) would take care of the breathing/eating problem. FLYING WHALE FORTRESS !!

edit : actually, if they're zombies, forget about the 'breathing' part.

Lothorus
2005-11-23, 06:11 PM
You know, by the RAW you can fit Wings of Flying on those. A slightly modified Necklace of Adaptation (no sweat for an epic necro) would take care of the breathing/eating problem. FLYING WHALE FORTRESS !!

edit : actually, if they're zombies, forget about the 'breathing' part.

What's horrifying is that someone allready thought of that in another RPG. That's right. A gigantic, flying, undead whale. I'm sure some of you remember it from FF9.

But none of them were "Legendary" size. Hey Jonathan! Tell me when you start your next campaign, I want in!

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-23, 09:16 PM
As it was realized that legendary animals do not increase in size, I've gone and adjusted a few things.

MisterRaziel
2005-11-23, 10:29 PM
From Hell's heart, I stab at thee!

I hates that whale... eeyarr...

AtomicKitKat
2005-11-23, 10:31 PM
Isn't 44 HD a little bit beyond Animate Dead? ::)

I also vaguely recall a legendary whale in the old AD&D MM.

Edit: Nevermind, it's the Leviathan.

I also think something that old and powerful should be Colossal+. ;D