PDA

View Full Version : You know you play too much when...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-08, 08:41 AM
Have you ever had a moment when you did something that made you realize "I think I need to take a break from (Insert Game System Here)". Share that story here.

I think for me it was when I was in English class and my teacher said that Hitler was Charismatic. The first thought that came to my mind? "So he had a high Charisma score?" And this was before I had any of the books, too; only the online d20SRD.

Gorbash
2009-07-08, 09:17 AM
I think I need to take a break from D&D

Well, that thought never occured to me actually, since I consider D&D to be the most entertaining way to spend time, but every once in a while I catch myself to think in D&D terms IRL.

For example, few days ago, when the power in my building went out for a few minutes, the first thought that sprang in my mind was that I should cast Light. By the time I started debating with myself whether casting Darkvision would be better, I realized that, unfortunately, I can't. :smallfrown:

Sir_Elderberry
2009-07-08, 09:26 AM
I started picking where to eat lunch by writing down the first six places I could think of and rolling a d6.

daggaz
2009-07-08, 09:27 AM
I have a friend who despite being a hardcore mudder on Toril (an old text based forgotten realms internet game) was a dedicated businessman.

He said he knew he had to take a break from the game when, one day in a packed business meeting where they were discussing some kind of bid on a takeover, he upped the bid by "5000 plats." Platinum was the big currency used to bid on equipment in the game. Everybody looked at him strangely.

kemmotar
2009-07-08, 09:29 AM
when you actually ask your friends to roll bluff to decide whether they're lying or not.
When they actually take out a d20 and roll and you believe or disbelieve them based on the roll....

Night Monkey
2009-07-08, 09:35 AM
(D&D)
...in your student flat, the phrase "Attack of Opportunity!" means, "Get me a beer." (no idea how this started)

Xefas
2009-07-08, 09:36 AM
I think I play too many online games on my computer. Its gotten to the point where sometimes I think I've told someone something, when in fact I merely *thought* what I told them and motioned on a make-believe keyboard. Or, if I'm actually on a computer at the time, sometimes I type my response to the person I'm talking to into the chat box instead, which is confusing to those playing with me, obviously.

Also, I've started holding down my Ventrilo keybind when I'm on the computer, but talking out loud, even if I'm not on Vent or wearing a headset.

As for D&D, I stopped trying to fight that a long time ago.

The J Pizzel
2009-07-08, 09:43 AM
me and my gamer friends were playing foosball and someone nailed it from across the table and screamed "YEAH, TAKE IT. SNEAK ATTACK B!TCH."

valadil
2009-07-08, 09:44 AM
I was running late and bumped into a LARPer friend who wanted to chat and catch up. I put my hand over my chest and said "I'm out of game, you can't see me," and he wandered off not realizing we weren't in game.

bosssmiley
2009-07-08, 10:19 AM
...you refer to your gaming buddies by their character's names when OOG. :smallredface:

Kaiyanwang
2009-07-08, 10:22 AM
...you refer to your gaming buddies by their character's names when OOG. :smallredface:

Second this... It happens to some of us even years one quitted. :smalleek:

Korivan
2009-07-08, 10:25 AM
Whenever you watch a fantasy movie, you imagin how much easier the battle would be if your epic/near-epic character were there....

i.e., your caster shoves Gandolf out of the way and "shows him how a wizard fights".

Serpentine
2009-07-08, 10:29 AM
...you start trying to analyse all people, creatures and actions in terms of D&D alignment. Actually, I like doing that...

Not quite game-related, but when I've been doing a lot of Illustrator drawing and then switch to pencil-and-paper, I catch myself trying to Ctrl-S or Ctrl-Z a lot. Also worrying when I do that for other activities, like talking to people or ordering a particular meal. It would be so handy to be able to do it... :smallsigh:

Elm11
2009-07-08, 10:32 AM
When a friend asks me whether he can tag along and help me with an assignment, and my initial responce is "ok, but are you geared". it's a good thing he already knew i play Wow

Killer Angel
2009-07-08, 10:34 AM
...when, in your job, you translate the standard acronyms, in D&D terms before than in the "real" ones.
Example: A.C. should mean Amministrazione Comunale (probably i can translate it in municipal administration), not Armor Class...

Kaiyanwang
2009-07-08, 10:41 AM
...you start trying to analyse all people, creatures and actions in terms of D&D alignment. Actually, I like doing that...

Check.

...when, in your job, you translate the standard acronyms, in D&D terms before than in the "real" ones.
Example: A.C. should mean Amministrazione Comunale (probably i can translate it in municipal administration), not Armor Class...

Check.

evisiron
2009-07-08, 10:51 AM
Closest I have had was when I was mildly sleep deprived from work->allnighter gaming session (call of duty 2 LAN madness) -> gaming club combo: When driving home late, I saw a lonely car coming the other way and was getting to rifle bash it...

Luckily my brain kicked it before anything happened. :smallbiggrin:

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-08, 10:56 AM

Anecdote time! I was with a bunch of folks from school who all played D&D, including one stereotypical-acting football jock, and we all liked to make "big stupid fighter" jokes with him, which he (mostly) took in good faith. We were talking about where everyone was going for college, and when he said he was heading to UMD (i.e., University of Maryland), I blurted out "Hey, I didn't know that was a class skill for barbarians!"

He didn't find that all too amusing....

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-08, 10:58 AM
Also seeming to be a good thing; when you start homebrewing things.

Not that bad in itself, but its a slippery slope.

alchemyprime
2009-07-08, 11:01 AM

This one happened to me with two guys in high school. I brought D&D 3.5 to our anime club meetings. Everyone else knew them as David and... crap I can't remember the other guy's real name.

But to me, they were Harrock the Evoker and Mische the Snow Elf Warlock.

To the point that up hearing Harrock or Mische, they would answer.

Wow... that was bad.

Okay, how's this?

You know you play too much D&D when your instant pick-up line is "Hey. Have you ever dated the DM?" When they answer no, you respond with "Would you like to?"

This worked on my current gf... She's one of the party tanks...

Curmudgeon
2009-07-08, 11:04 AM
I reject this concept.

Jack Zander
2009-07-08, 11:14 AM
Action movies are forever ruined for me, because I analyze every action in terms of DnD rules.

Actually, I do this with chick flicks too when my gf drags me to them to help make them more managable.

TheCountAlucard
2009-07-08, 11:21 AM
I was running late and bumped into a LARPer friend who wanted to chat and catch up. I put my hand over my chest and said "I'm out of game, you can't see me," and he wandered off not realizing we weren't in game.I actually thought this one was pretty funny.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-08, 11:34 AM
Actually, I do this with chick flicks too when my gf drags me to them to help make them more managable.

Last week on vacation, my family dragged me to a "romantic comedy" dinner theater thingy (my sister's idea, and it wasn't funny at all). The whole time, I was sustaining myself by thinking things like "Come on! He had a massive circumstance penalty because she hates him, and he's the most ugly and oafish character I've seen on a stage, and he still made the Diplomacy check!? DM FIAT! RAILROADING!"

Rhiannon87
2009-07-08, 11:41 AM
When watching pretty much any movie or TV show, I start assigning alignments and classes to different characters. My friends and I regularly refer to our ability to make certain saves (usually Fortitude in reference to how often we get sick) or our DR or AC. I've referred to my friends by their character names fairly often.

But probably the most damning is the ever-growing collection of extra stories that I've written for most of the campaigns I'm in. Yeah, I write fanfic for my D&D campaigns. (And it is awesome for character development.)

horus42
2009-07-08, 11:53 AM
I knew I had been playing WoD too much when I was playing Scene it? with my family one day. I rolled a 1 for the "how many spaces to you move?" die, and my first thought was "oh great, I botched..."

Andraste
2009-07-08, 12:08 PM
I don't even play d&d much, but I always figure out my friends alignment and some of their stats Also whenever I've played a video game for a long time, afterward I start to think in actions I can do in the game.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-08, 12:22 PM
I try to put a bunch of different actions into one o the D&D alignments. I did this before D&D but now I have seven other options.:smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2009-07-08, 12:29 PM
when you're going to start your 2 weeks summer holiday, and because your gaming group plays on saturday, you plan to leave on sunday and coming back on friday, so you lose only one session... (me) :smallredface:

OR

The same, but you bring also your manuals (one of my friends)

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-08, 12:31 PM
Weirdly, this is about a game I've never played but have read the rulebook too many times.

When I see an action movie, I quickly determine how you can build the main character, which Taos he needs and stuff.

It's bloody weird, I'm telling you.

Eldan
2009-07-08, 12:34 PM

Continuing that trend, in the computer room:

Someone: "Are there any PCs in here?"
Me: :smallconfused:
Someone again: "You know, non-mac computers?"

Quietus
2009-07-08, 12:34 PM
My buddies and I have all developed useless superpowers; I'm not entirely certain how they came about. I, for example, have the superpower of "I can open doors". My weakness? Locks. :smallsigh: And that's just one of them..

My buddy's most commonly used superpower can be boiled down to "You gotta roll a one sometime!". He has to roll for every little action he makes. Yes, even that. And yes, he rolls ones sometimes.

Duke of URL
2009-07-08, 12:44 PM
I think for me it was when I was in English class and my teacher said that Hitler was Charismatic. The first thought that came to my mind? "So he had a high Charisma score?" And this was before I had any of the books, too; only the online d20SRD.

Ironically (or not), the 1st edition AD&D PHB actually uses Hitler as an example of a high charisma score without having to have physical attractiveness.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-08, 01:08 PM
Ironically (or not), the 1st edition AD&D PHB actually uses Hitler as an example of a high charisma score without having to have physical attractiveness.

Can I assume it didn't actually say what class he'd be though? I wondered.

Greengiant
2009-07-08, 01:09 PM
You are out for a walk in the woods with your buddies, and start assigning DC's for them to beat to see if they can climb a tree, or a fence, or just from not falling down that steep embankment whilst walking down it.

And start referring to money as plat and gold. "I got 30 plat paycheck the other day guys"

Ernir
2009-07-08, 01:25 PM
When you wake up, and, as consciousness rams back into your brain, the first coherent thought is whether you can squeeze full BAB and full Wizard casting out of a Factotum/Duskblade//Wizard/Swiftblade gestalt?

(Happened this morning.)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-08, 01:27 PM
And start referring to money as plat and gold. "I got 30 plat paycheck the other day guys"

Would that happen to be ~$300?

Zergrusheddie
2009-07-08, 01:33 PM
I had it BAD when I was playing Everquest when I was like 7. Stories:

I once used "LOL" when someone told me something that was supposed to be funny. The look they gave me made me actually laugh.

I saw a truck that said "Orson's Pawn Shop" and I swear to god I read it was "Orc Pawn."

(This one is totally true) We were watching a movie in a theater and someone important died. My 9 year old brain could not stop itself fast enough as I said aloud: "Looking for a 86% or better Resurrect!" Amongst the "Shhhh!" I heard someone laughing, but not with me...

I was speaking with my sister and I said something that included the word 'add.' She turned and looked around with a look of shock. Yes, this one is true.

I once looked in the gutter one day at the end of the street to see a dead orc. I'm still not sure why the garbage looked like an orc.

Ahh, I almost forget! In second grade, the teacher said that I had the best typing skills in the entire class. My response: "It's because I use the Cheats in Starcraft!" Hell, my reading skills were increased more by playing Everquest than in school by second grade.

Thankfully, I'm not as much of a goober anymore.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-08, 02:05 PM
When you wake up, and, as consciousness rams back into your brain, the first coherent thought is whether you can squeeze full BAB and full Wizard casting out of a Factotum/Duskblade//Wizard/Swiftblade gestalt?

(Happened this morning.)

...when you can look at that build and, without looking anything up, know that it works, but only if you go Duskblade/Factotum instead of the reverse.

Glass Mouse
2009-07-08, 02:13 PM

Ohhh yeah...

I'm starting to make a habit of thinking up ability scores for characters in my own stories. In my webcomic, every single character has ability scores and an alignment, just for the heck of it. It's actually a pretty good way to prevent yourself from creating a Mary Sue. Dumb stats are great.

Duke of URL
2009-07-08, 02:19 PM

It was just in the section that discussed Charisma in general. They didn't stat out a "Hitler".

Of course, unless you were a Paladin, where class requirements meant you had to have a high Charisma, it was the most useless stat in 1ed.

Greengiant
2009-07-08, 02:44 PM
Would that happen to be ~$300?

Yeah, though that's not my actual paycheck.

Dienekes
2009-07-08, 02:48 PM
drawing up character sheets with (as accurate as can be depicted) stats for myself and my friends.

only1doug
2009-07-08, 02:49 PM
This one happened to me with two guys in high school. I brought D&D 3.5 to our anime club meetings. Everyone else knew them as David and... crap I can't remember the other guy's real name.

But to me, they were Harrock the Evoker and Mische the Snow Elf Warlock.

To the point that up hearing Harrock or Mische, they would answer.

Wow... that was bad.

No, thats nothing.

I only knew one of my friends as Gebli for 3 years, It was only when I introduced him to someone else that they asked, "is that your first name or surname, its very unusual?" and he explained that it was actually the character name of his old character (dead long before I met him).

He was known to his work colleagues as Gebli, not by his choice that was how he was introduced (and being an unusual name, people remembered it).

Blackfang108
2009-07-08, 02:59 PM
drawing up character sheets with (as accurate as can be depicted) stats for myself and my friends.

My group's done that.

Granted, it was for an actual campaign, two of them, in fact, but still.

Oddly, my character is wildly different in both campaigns. One is Evil-Leaning CN, One is Good-Leaning CN.

The Evil-Leaning one is me having lost all my memories. Basically, my learned morality is gone.

EDIT: I'm also more of a jackass as the Evil-Leaning CN.

Lert, A.
2009-07-08, 02:59 PM
A small group of gangers didn't like me walking down their street and attacked me. Really big mistake for them.

After I dropped the first two the rest stopped to measurre whether or not they wanted to keep fighting. I yelled out "Oh, yeah! I have the initiative!" At which point they ran away.

I walk that street without problem now, though some of them still give me funny looks.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-08, 03:05 PM
I would say Paladin of Tyranny. It doesn't say that, it's just my guess.

I must say, this thread fulfilled Godwin's law fast.:smallamused:

Duke of URL
2009-07-08, 03:10 PM
I would say Paladin of Tyranny. It doesn't say that, it's just my guess.

I must say, this thread fulfilled Godwin's law fast.:smallamused:

PoT didn't exist in 1ed. :)

Ravens_cry
2009-07-08, 03:22 PM
PoT didn't exist in 1ed. :)IOf course, but if Hitler were stated out, that would be the primary class. And Bard, because Hitler SO didn't have full BAB. He did have Evasion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_July_plot)though.

Voshkod
2009-07-08, 03:37 PM
Waking up after a marathon session of Vampire: The Masquerade, seeing the sun through the window, and feeling a moment of panic.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-07-08, 03:37 PM
Recently, at the end of a boozy gaming session we ended up having the classic "assigning alignments" debate - this time on philosophers.

The kicker? We ended up having an hour-long argument on whether Martin Luther (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_luther) was N or NG. I was the NG holdout, though one of the debaters fired off an email the next day making a LE argument :smallbiggrin:

Also: rating my relationships with people with Intimacy/Trust scores (Bliss Stage (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlissStage) reference) :smalltongue:

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-08, 03:45 PM
<._.> Several of these -

1) (D&D) You watch a fantasy film and mentally stat out the characters as you go. (I did this during LoTR especially. Thankfully I was with people who were doing it too.. or does that make it worse?)

2) (MMO) When your house is nearly forclosed on, your first thought is: "Oh it's no problem, I'll just farm the gold tonight and pay em off tomorro-oh crap."

AslanCross
2009-07-08, 04:41 PM
When one of my players says he could attend our next session because he successfully resisted contracting AH1N1 from his family members (almost all of whom were infected and sick), I say "Oh, good, you made your fort saves."

Person_Man
2009-07-08, 05:13 PM
When picking out an engagement ring for my girlfriend (now fiancee), I wondered if I could buy one made of electrum. (2nd ed)

When I realized how much engagement rings cost, I was infuriated that it's not enchanted.

Although I had been promising a ring for months, it took me a while to save the money, pick out one she would like, have it sized, find the right moment to propose, etc. Friends and family were aware that I was going to propose, so the first thing that they always asked my girlfriend was had I gotten her one yet. When a fellow gamer asked, she replied "Sure, he got me a Ring of Invisibility. Unfortunately it's cursed, and it's the ring that's invisible, not me."

I also have the tendency to refer to running errands as "going on a side quest."

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-08, 05:48 PM
When I get really into an MMO I find that I will dream about just about every night. Though I have to be pretty enthralled. Don't think I've had anything D&D related...

I do have a friend who told me about a dream of his though. Some weird stuff was going down and zombies were invading (or something). He hit one of them with a baseball bat then immediately thought "oh no zombies have DR/Slashing". Priceless.

Skeppio
2009-07-08, 06:11 PM

I've been calling money "Gold" and "GP" since my time on World of Warcraft. :smallsigh:

Also, when I saw this thread, I immediately thought of 'Bender's Game'.

Vaynor
2009-07-08, 06:28 PM
Also, I've started holding down my Ventrilo keybind when I'm on the computer, but talking out loud, even if I'm not on Vent or wearing a headset.

I do that. >.<

The worst is when I'm actually on Vent, and in a raid, and someone else comes into my room and instead of just talking to them normally I hit the Vent hotkey first. My guildmates were slightly confused.

Night Monkey
2009-07-08, 06:36 PM
<._.> Several of these -

1) (D&D) You watch a fantasy film and mentally stat out the characters as you go. (I did this during LoTR especially. Thankfully I was with people who were doing it too.. or does that make it worse?)

Me and my flatmates watched the extended edition DVDs and were constantly coming up with D&D descriptions of all the action and plot events. Good thing we'd seen it many times before because we missed plenty of dialogue that way.

Trizap
2009-07-08, 06:41 PM
I'm one of those people who try to match peoples with alignments and classes...........especially myself, and I always come up Chaotic Neutral Bard....

Callista
2009-07-08, 06:42 PM
Can I assume it didn't actually say what class he'd be though? I wondered.Whichever class is capable of the worst possible Diplomacy abuse... while still remaining Lawful.

I'd say bard if he weren't so obviously LE. I guess that's possible in 4th ed. now, though.

Is it bad I now want to stat out Hitler?

mikeejimbo
2009-07-08, 06:47 PM
Whichever class is capable of the worst possible Diplomacy abuse... while still remaining Lawful.

I'd say bard if he weren't so obviously LE. I guess that's possible in 4th ed. now, though.

Is it bad I now want to stat out Hitler?

Not really, actually. It's an interesting exercise.

Can we assume he's a half-elf then?

orchitect
2009-07-08, 06:59 PM
Recently: You wonder if your girlfriend/boyfriend would be a good party member. (I decided she would be the best!! Her roguish skills balance nicely with my paladin-ish manners.)

Pollip
2009-07-08, 07:41 PM
Nothing's ever really happened to me with D&D, but after hours of Meteos or Brawl, you close your eyes and see the game being played behind your eyelids. Also, I forget to blink while playing Meteos.

I don't play much Tetris, but I imagine it happens then, too.

AslanCross
2009-07-08, 07:45 PM
A co-teacher of mine a couple of years back was also a gamer. He told me how he once rode in the back of an FX (kind of like a minivan turned public transportation; they're common here). A little later, two women also got into the back. They looked at him, looked at each other, and got off.

Later in the day, we were in the school library. He was looking at an air conditioning unit that had a sign that said "Do not touch!", but he couldn't help but poke it for no reason.

"Sorry, couldn't resist," he said.
"Sooo....you have a high Intimidate modifier, but your will save sucks."
"Pretty much."

orchitect
2009-07-08, 08:50 PM
Nothing's ever really happened to me with D&D, but after hours of Meteos or Brawl, you close your eyes and see the game being played behind your eyelids. Also, I forget to blink while playing Meteos.

I don't play much Tetris, but I imagine it happens then, too.

A friend of mine can attest to that. She said after playing tetris for hours on end she would dream about it.

Skeppio
2009-07-08, 09:01 PM
A friend of mine can attest to that. She said after playing tetris for hours on end she would dream about it.

Hilarity ensues if they have a nightmare where they only get the S and Z blocks. :smallbiggrin:

The Mentalist
2009-07-08, 09:04 PM
A friend of mine once threw a pen at me and I reflexively said "OW! That was 4 hit points."

Skeppio
2009-07-08, 09:06 PM
A friend of mine once threw a pen at me and I reflexively said "OW! That was 4 hit points."

A pencil can one-shot a Wizard? Interesting.....:smallamused:

Zain
2009-07-08, 09:38 PM
A pencil can one-shot a Wizard? Interesting.....:smallamused:

i don't think pencil do leathal damage but...

i allways give people class/alignments when i meet them

sofawall
2009-07-08, 10:03 PM
Whenever one of my friends trips, we say he rolled a natural one on his balance check (yes, I know natural ones aren't auto-fails...).

If he tosses me something and it hits me in, say, the face, we say he got a nat 20, etc.

That's about it.

Quietus
2009-07-08, 10:28 PM
Not really, actually. It's an interesting exercise.

Can we assume he's a half-elf then?

It'd explain him only having half a mustache, I suppose..

Theres
2009-07-08, 10:59 PM
when you make everything D&d that you see. i also assign ability scores to my friends and we have full on conversations in class and stuff. and watchin lord of the rings will never be the same. Ganalf obviously half celestial or even a plain old outsider with levels in eldritch knight. aragon variant human race ( better stats with bow and sword, prolonged life) with combat focus on the greatsword. the fellow**** almost always rolls crap will saves for that stupid ring

TheThan
2009-07-08, 11:07 PM
You might be a dnd gamer if:

You assign DCs to tasks you have to perform in real life
You stat out friends and acquaintances in dnd terms
You refer to your friends by their character’s name
You use internet lingo in conversation (brb, LOL, etc)
When you drop something and catch it in mid air, then yell out “I made my reflex save!”
You refer to your overbearing boss as the BBEG
You imagine your office building as a labyrinth set up by the BBEG (see above)
When you pull an ‘A’ on your report card, you announce it was a critical success
You’re constantly on the look out for orcs waiting in ambush

feel free to add to the jokes.

Iudex Fatarum
2009-07-08, 11:13 PM
I stat people out all the time, I'm too much of someone who is two-faced to figure out my alignment though. LE, CG, LG. I favor LG to LN. I'm probably a monk but I used to be a barbarian. Possibly I realized I played way too much when I met a gf by explaining the rules of DnD to her (we broke up a bit ago)
I do carry around a D20 in my pocket and use it to decide what to eat for lunch sometimes. (normally just even or odd)

AslanCross
2009-07-09, 12:49 AM
You might be a dnd gamer if:

You use internet lingo in conversation (brb, LOL, etc)

feel free to add to the jokes.

...you know, I actually do that. A good number of my students do too. D:
Mostly it's sarcastic, though.

Thurbane
2009-07-09, 12:58 AM
...when you constantly make Skill Check references in regards to real life situations (i.e. someone trips over "Looks like he failed his Balance check!").

Gorgondantess
2009-07-09, 01:06 AM
The fellowship almost always rolls crap will saves for that stupid ring.

Actually, the DCs are just really, really high.
...What?

penbed400
2009-07-09, 01:27 AM
Whenever you watch a fantasy movie, you imagin how much easier the battle would be if your epic/near-epic character were there....

i.e., your caster shoves Gandolf out of the way and "shows him how a wizard fights".

Hey Gandalf had rules, he was a demi-god okay? He would beat up plenty of wizards if he had free reign. Then you have to imagine what the battles would of looked like if you could actually see on their level. I mean the only person that Gandalf actually fights is the Balrog. He slams his staff and says, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" But then think of all the other stuff thats going on on every other realm of existance!

Baalthazaq
2009-07-09, 02:15 AM
You know you play too much when: You buy your wife an epic flying mount for your anniversary.
You know she plays too much when: She loves it.

As for other DnD related things:
You have a dream (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109283) where you build a fully legitimate level 40 gestalt character.

Serpentine
2009-07-09, 04:57 AM
Actually, the DCs are just really, really high.
...What?RAILROADING DM! Tolkein's a railroading DM!

I regularly fail my Drink and Swallow checks v.v

Panda-s1
2009-07-09, 05:13 AM
Um, I have the perfect motivational poster for this:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1783/ddtoomuchaj3.jpg

Iudex Fatarum
2009-07-09, 06:30 AM
RAILROADING DM! Tolkein's a railroading DM!

I regularly fail my Drink and Swallow checks v.v

Ever read Dm of the Rings?

Just to realize that we have our own language and culture. I roll 1d8+1d6 when I play clue (makes the game go faster) and I use that terminology. I think the first time I realized I was a gammer was when I was playing a board game and asked a friend to pass the d6 instead of the dice.
Either that or when someone used the word gazebo and everyone in the room started laughing except for one.

Coplantor
2009-07-09, 07:13 AM
...when you constantly make Skill Check references in regards to real life situations (i.e. someone trips over "Looks like he failed his Balance check!").

This is way too common.

How do I know I've been playing too much? Yeah, watching a movie and think it with DnD rules, also done that (most fights make no sense! The PC's get to many attacks!).
I carry a full set of dice everywhere, just in case I have to make a decision with multiple options.
Sometimes, I dream up perfectly functional adventures, I see maps, stats, creatures and traps in my dreams and then use them when I DM.

About videogames? After a lot of super smash bros melee, it happened to me that I close my eyes and see fights. And after a day of punishing myself with disgaea and guitar hero, I dreamed that I was playing disgaea and used an attack that dealt damage based on how many notes I could hit right.

SoD
2009-07-09, 08:17 AM

What? So he kicks him out of the way and shows him how a real wizard spells?

Burley
2009-07-09, 08:32 AM
At work the other day, I choked on some energy drink stuff. Y'know... it goes down the wrong tube? Y'know?

So, I'm gagging and choking. A customer asks "Are you okay?"
Between my gasping coughs, I somehow say "Crit Fail...Drink check."

Nobody got it, but I laughed at myself hard enough to cough up the stuff. It was pretty gross and painful, but totally worth it.

Thespianus
2009-07-09, 02:24 PM

(Happened this morning.)

I had moments like that when I was internalizing the 3.5E game system. I spent a lot of time coming up with fun feat combos and could wake up thinking I had found a super-elegant solution to my Rogue character's class progression.

This type of craziness led me to take a level of Focused Diviner. (don't ask)

I read in some book, Dennett or Pinker, that this is a symptom of the brain reorganizing itself when learning something new and fairly complicated (I've had similar experiences trying to internalize BSP rendering and other algorithm-intensive programming tasks)

Lord Loss
2009-07-09, 03:13 PM
After my friend got busted by a teacher for reading (the whole class heard him turn a page of the chapter book concealed behind the essay he had been reading for 20 minutes). I said: Way to fail your move silently check.

Or, when a toast came out of the toaster COMPLETELY BLACK, I thought. okay, who cast fireball?

oxinabox
2009-07-12, 06:43 AM
There's a particular door at college the envery time i go to go though it I try to right click it.
I eventually wourled out why this door in particular:
It's handle was broken and only worked if you turn int to the right, which is the same motion are right click.
So all i needed to do was hold the handle first then right click.

Umm I was at a lan this weekend, and As an on going joke refered so many things in munkin and dnd terms.
Unfortunately for you that was not my base, it was infact an illusion of my base cast by a plutonium dragon... who was ancient... and had magic missile, ... and his mate.
What do you mean you doppelgangered your army? there's only one doppleganger card in the deck. you can dopplegeanger your hero.
Oh. When you argue with someone who plays Warcraft III, about the fact the the cleave power works wrong. what have they done they've made that feat so OP, how can a fighter get an AOE?

It's so common to refer to peoples attributes.

When you describe the daux of the school who wins every event and tops every class, but has few friends and very little common sense as a Min/Maxer who's dumped CHA and WIS.

When you punch an friend because you though friendly fire was disabled.
And knew that evcen though he'ld bleed he'd take no HP damage."
ANd the blood would look cool

When you need to stat out a dual bastardsword wielding orc fighter 'cos not knowing if it is entirly legal or good, is denying you sleep.
When then next night you stat out a fullblade orc for comparison, else you can't sleep.
Ands this continues for months.

Oh and the obvious one.
When, like me, You're playing 2 games and dming 2 more every week.
currently 3 are on break, and the 4th may go one break when the others come back.

Arcane Copycat
2009-07-12, 11:19 AM
Everytime I hear that something has a 5% chance of happening, I can't help but say "20 to-hit is still doable, roll it."

I get a lot of weird looks from it

Dragon Elite
2009-08-13, 06:55 PM
You've memorized part of the core rulebooks due to reading them too much.
And, I stat out adventures when I'm asleep.

vollmond
2009-08-14, 09:23 AM
I walked out of my fiancee's apartment after a marathon Halo session, heard a noise in the distance, and tried to hit B to zoom in on it...

Narazil
2009-08-14, 09:35 AM
Man, I'm guilty of a lot of this. I always read AC/DC as Armor Class and Difficulty...

I LARP. When I see other LARPers I'm trying to avoid (usually because I'm carrying cake), I always put a hand on my head (the signal for being out of game). They usually ignore me because of it, too.

When we're leaving our den common/storage rooms, we always pass a billboard with an octupus on it. Of course, someone (read: Usually me) call out "C'thulu/Mindflayer/Squidthingy!" and we make appropriate hand gestures (using fingers as tentacles).

If people are wrestling/fighting in a friendly matter, I always try to force them to abeit to D&D rules. "You have to wait 6 seconds before attacking." "Quick, you have an AoO!" "NO! Not another one, you didn't take Combat Reflexes!" "You're using a board? That's an improvised weapon!"

... Man, it sounds so geeky when I read it.

mikej
2009-08-14, 09:47 AM
"the police can't catch me. I have boots of escaping on. "

saw it on TV, but jokely qoute it everytime we see the police.

wykydtron
2009-08-14, 09:48 AM
A friend of mine was working and after helping a customer, said customer thanked him and said "Oh, man! You have so much initiative you don't even need to roll!"

dragonfan6490
2009-08-14, 09:57 AM
D&D:

When you write Explosive Runes on a piece of paper and your friends get pissed off at you.

Kris Strife
2009-08-14, 10:02 AM
you start thinking you can 'save your game' in real life. (to be fair, I was fairly sleep deprived at the time.)

you start trying to figure out how to stat out anything you see in a movie, show or video game, using your favorite/best known system.

Also seconding the failed/made save or checks, trying to press buttons to do stuff in real life, dreaming I'm playing games or combinations of them Brawl using the Disgaea series cast for example...

Korivan
2009-08-14, 10:34 AM
What? So he kicks him out of the way and shows him how a real wizard spells?

At very least a DnD wizard would have summoned/battle field control/blasted. Gandolf I figure had to have great BAB and Hit dice with the monky grip feat. A d4 and Low BAB isn't enough to convince most wizards to pick up and fight with a two handed heapon and a long sword at the same time. Not to mention, if they never showed the real fight between the Balor and Gandolf and his wizard duel, his few spells cast during the course of the movies (been to long since reading the series to recall everything) would have been Fear(maybe), a shield spell, light, an earthquake spell that only effects a 5x5 ft square, and a fancy light spell that discouraged on some flyers that I forget what they were.

I also dont know where penbed400 gets the demi-god part. I don't recal reading that, but if I'm wrong point me to the book and page. He is sent back, maybe he had the Divine Agent PrC. But the Simarillion (origins of Middle-Earth) never talks about half-gods that I recall. But if he was a Demi-god he could have at least delt with this books version of the devils general (Suron).

But to be fair the point is moot. LOTR is a TOR fantasy series, and DnD is a WOTC series. TOR doesnt use any guidlines in magic creation and leaves that up to the individual writers. Whereas the typical DnD games follow set in stone guidelines with variations left up to the individual groups.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-14, 12:22 PM
I also dont know where penbed400 gets the demi-god part. I don't recal reading that, but if I'm wrong point me to the book and page.

Gandalf was a Maia; I don't have my LotR books handy, but see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiar).

Fitz
2009-08-14, 12:26 PM
made the misstake of having a larp character with a real-world possible name, played him for 9 years before he was killed last year, still getting adressed by my in character name, fairly sure some other players dont know my ooc name!

Keshay
2009-08-14, 01:15 PM
I've begun to think perhaps I play too much. Why? I no longer leave the house unless all my equipment slots are filled. One day I actually made the conscious decision to make certain I was fully equipped. I must say I'm much happier and better prepared for most situations now as opposed to before. I fill out my equipment thusly:

Head - Hat (I actually bought a $500 Fedora to fill the head slot, usually just a cap though)
Eyes - Glasses/Sunglasses
Neck - Holy symbol
Ring1- Wedding Band
Ring2 - Family Ring (Heirloom from my gransfather)
Hands - I keep gloves in my coat pocket, yep even in summer
Wrists - Watch and bracelet
Body - Well... Clothes
Belt - don't leave home without it
Feet - Boots/shoes
Back - Coat
Weapon - I always carry my Leatherman Multitool
Ranged - Unfilled, I seriously considered getting a conceal/carry permit but I was vetoed by the wife. It was enough of a hassle to get her to let me keep the guns in the first place, no need to belabor the point.
Shield - I have my wallet here, because the most defense I'll ever need is access to my bank account and ID
Accessory: iPhone (man, imagine a single accessory that could do half the stuff an iPhone can in a D&D setting. Mapping, communication, data storage, image capture...)

TheThan
2009-08-14, 01:47 PM

I do this on occasion

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-14, 02:22 PM
"the police can't catch me. I have boots of escaping on. "

saw it on TV, but jokely qoute it everytime we see the police.

police generate their own AMFs
:smallconfused:
what? Why are you looking at me like that?

Yes I confuses PCs, ACs and DCs all the time :smallmad:
When D&D came into being they should have renamed Alt Current, Personal Comps and Direct current.

As for d6, d20, the hardest time was at a game with new players, I kept on saying, roll a d20 and they would look at me funny. I have to consciously stat roll the dice with the most number of sides that looks almost like a sphere. And the other sides, as well. (roll the pryamid, roll the dice (for d6s)) for the first two games. I tried to play a normal board game with "normal" people and said pass the 2d6, and everyone looked at me funny. It took me 5 minutes to realize I needed to call it a "dice"

Sharkman1231
2009-08-14, 02:46 PM

I think Hitler would be an Orator from 3.5 Complete Divine(I think) with leadership and 1 rank in craft (painting) (He once applied to an art colledge and wasn't accepted)(cuz he sucked)

Salz
2009-08-14, 03:47 PM
None of your board games have dice.

I have all the dice in my house in my dice bag, so if anyone wants to play a board game they have to find me...

Me and my friends jokingly started rating actractivness on a scale of 3-18... and it's turned serious. It's not uncommon now for one of us to go, "On a scale of 3-18, she was definetly a 13."

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-08-14, 05:01 PM
When you get into an agrument with your Spouse over who has more Class levels, then explain what those class levels are.

When you justify what people on tv or in action/fantasy movies do by saying "oh they must have the (insert relevant name) feat"

When you're Spouse attempts to compliment you by saying you have an 18 charisma and you inform them that they failed failed bluff check.

When you explain away your RL clumsiness by saying, "The dice hate me."