PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Avenger Advice-Builds

Ranis
2009-07-08, 09:07 AM
I'm going to be building an Avenger for the RPGA because they look pretty sweet to me. However, I have no idea what direction I should take him in. I'm looking at the Censure of Pursuit because I think it'll see more action and use than the Censure of Retribution, so I'm looking on people's thoughts there. Also, feat selection is going to be tough. I'm considering between Human and Deva for my avenger, and Human is simply because of the other feat. I have all 4e books and just can't decide! Would taking the armor proficiency feats to get the heaviest light armor(so I still get the armor of faith) be worth it in the long run, or should I take feats that would help me get through the baddies to my Oath of Enmity target?

Burley
2009-07-08, 09:27 AM
Actually, I'm of the mind that Retribution will come into play more often. When an enemy is subject to a power like Oath of Emnity (or any condition) the enemy knows any and all side effects of the power. The DM will most likely not move it away from you.
However, if you Oath of Emnity an enemy (Close Burst 10), and charge the poor blighter provoking a few OAs on the way, your damage will go up quite a bit. I suggest something with high Con and Wis ~coughdwarfwithacraghammercough~, and boost INT with the left overs.
Or, be a Deva (which are awesome with the Dragon Article feats they can get) and boost your Con. Strength, Dexterity and Charisma are all kinda... not needed as much, depending on your choice of powers.

Ranis
2009-07-08, 09:41 AM
What's a Crag Hammer? What book is it in?

Edit: Found it in AV. I don't really see how that's worth a feat unless Dwarves get it as a racial bonus in some updated material.

Nu
2009-07-08, 09:56 AM
What's a Crag Hammer? What book is it in?

Edit: Found it in AV. I don't really see how that's worth a feat unless Dwarves get it as a racial bonus in some updated material.

Dwarven Weapon Training gives you proficiency with it AND a +2 bonus to damage, which effectively packs the proficiency feat and paragon-tier weapon focus into a single heroic feat.

Yakk
2009-07-08, 10:01 AM
Dwarven Weapons Training: Gain proficiency with all hammers (!) and axes, and a +2 feat bonus to attack rolls.

This is paragon-level weapon focus, plus a superior weapon.

And you get +wis.

The trick with pursuit is to make it a lose-lose situation. Take powers that damage targets adjacent to you. Make your target chase after you by moving away from it. Pull your target out of packs and isolate it. Make yourself a bad target to attack, and force the target to either flee from you or attack the bad target. Have controllers drop hostile zones in the space between you and your target.

Generally, those features it is a way to make sure that your target is isolated, so you can give it a beat down, less than a damage boost. But you can play the game of making the oath target damned both ways.

Ranis
2009-07-08, 10:08 AM
What book is Dwarven Weapons Training in, and do you know the prerequisites?

Yakk, according to RAW the target has to move away from you willingly. Does you moving away from the target count for Pursuit?

Tengu_temp
2009-07-08, 10:14 AM
It's worth noting that an avenger can have really obscene AC, if you're willing to spend the majority of your feats on it - Armor Proficiency (leather and hide), Improved Armor of Faith, Weapon Proficiency (Parrying Dagger), Two-Weapon Defense... Combine it with the many regeneration powers avengers receive, fluff your weapons as two middle-length blades instead of one long and one short one, and you can be this guy:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ghfFnFaGEpQ/ShF_9PWuUWI/AAAAAAAAABo/7NovR05VTAA/s320/alexander-anderson.jpg

PHB. You only need to be - bet you didn't see that coming! - a dwarf.

Yakk, according to RAW the target has to move away from you willingly. Does you moving away from the target count for Pursuit?

No.

Yakk
2009-07-08, 10:14 AM

Naw. You pull the target away from your allies a square, then retreat still more.

Your target now has to follow you away from your allies. Toss in some dangerous terrain between you and your target, and you can cause some pain.

Basically you can set up a gradient of movement down which your opponent must travel, or you get to lay down some punishment. This is a decent form of control.

kemmotar
2009-07-08, 10:15 AM
start here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1163016) and that will get you started on everything you need and possibly all you will ever need...after that just improv, combine and be silly is my guess^_^

Leon
2009-07-08, 10:22 AM
I like the Urgrosh for a dwarven weapon of choice - d12 damage, defensive, off hand and a d8 if if you want to get dual wielding action going

start here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1163016) and that will get you started on everything you need and possibly all you will ever need...after that just improv, combine and be silly is my guess^_^

Start there and get the link from with in it or follow it here - that one is races only this one is much better
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1161623

ocato
2009-07-08, 10:44 AM
One fine way to get your Pursuit is to use the aforementioned tactic of backing up (forcing your enemy to follow you) and then using one of the several daily/utility powers that makes you invisible to said target. Go invisible and then slip around to the opposite side of wherever you think he'll head and wait for him to bugger off. Then you charge him.

kemmotar
2009-07-08, 10:49 AM
Start there and get the link from with in it or follow it here - that one is races only this one is much better
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1161623

-_-
crap...didn't notice I pressed the wrong handbook...

I just go to The Complete Collection of Character Build Links (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1065542) and assume that the handbook is a good one...they usually are...don't know how they missed that..hmm

Artanis
2009-07-08, 11:06 AM
I think it's hilarious that one of the builds has you end up with no actual Avenger attack powers.