PDA

View Full Version : There must be a logic error here...

Arakune
2009-07-08, 12:31 PM
I got an statment and need to know what is the (logical structure) error in it.

"The world is not beautiful. Therefore [the world] is beautiful."

Can the playgrounders help me?

Jack Squat
2009-07-08, 12:33 PM
It's a contridiction. The first sentence states that "The world is not beautiful." If this is true, than the second conclusion (That the world is beautiful) is false.

PhoeKun
2009-07-08, 12:34 PM
I got an statment and need to know what is the (logical structure) error in it.

"The world is not beautfull. Therefore [the world] is beautfull."

Can the playgrounders help me?

Truth is beauty, beauty truth, SIR! *stands and salutes*

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-08, 12:36 PM
I don't understand either.
Even Webster is not helping...

Let us pierce the mystery of the word....Beautfull!

Arakune
2009-07-08, 12:43 PM
Truth is beauty, beauty truth, SIR! *stands and salutes*

I think the truthness of the argument is a diferent can of worns, so for simplycity for now I want to know more about how the argument was structured.

It's ~p->p, ~p them p, p->q, p them q...

Hope that helps.

PhoeKun
2009-07-08, 12:59 PM
I think the truthness of the argument is a diferent can of worns, so for simplycity for now I want to know more about how the argument was structured.

It's ~p->p, ~p them p, p->q, p them q...

Hope that helps.

Don't mind me, I'm only playing around. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2009-07-08, 01:02 PM
Just "contradictory" doesn't seem right... "Mutually exclusive", maybe? And it's "beautiful".

a = b, therefore a != b, if writing it a different way helps.

13_CBS
2009-07-08, 01:03 PM
Ah, the tagline for Kino's Journey, eh?

It doesn't make logical sense since it's an artistic saying. I interpret the line to mean:

The world has imperfections in it; disasters, accidents, cruelty, hatred, etc. However, it is because of these imperfections that the world is unique and interesting in its own way. Therefore, it is beautiful.

Or,

The world has imperfections in it; disasters, accidents, cruelty, hatred, etc. However, it is because of these imperfections that all the good things in the world seem better, thus making the world beautiful

On that note, I recommend that you guys read/watch Kino's Journey and interpret the line for yourself.

For great justice, I shall post the original line in Japanese:

Kanji/Hiragana: "世界は美しくなんかない。そしてそれ故に美しい。"

Transliteration: "Sekai wa utsukushiku nanka nai. Soshi-te sore yueni utsukushii" (I had to add the hyphen in "Soshi-te" so that the forum filter won't block it)

Approximate literal translation (I've only taken a year of Japanese so forgive me): "The world is not something that is lovely. Thus, it is therefore lovely."

Yiuel
2009-07-08, 01:18 PM
Ah, the tagline for Kino's Journey, eh?

It doesn't make logical sense since it's an artistic saying. I interpret the line to mean:

The world has imperfections in it; disasters, accidents, cruelty, hatred, etc. However, it is because of these imperfections that the world is unique and interesting in its own way. Therefore, it is beautiful.

Or,

The world has imperfections in it; disasters, accidents, cruelty, hatred, etc. However, it is because of these imperfections that all the good things in the world seem better, thus making the world beautiful

On that note, I recommend that you guys read/watch Kino's Journey and interpret the line for yourself.

For great justice, I shall post the original line in Japanese:

Kanji/Hiragana: "世界は美しくなんかない。そしてそれ故に美しい。"

Transliteration: "Sekai wa utsukushiku nanka nai. Soshi-te sore yueni utsukushii" (I had to add the hyphen in "Soshi-te" so that the forum filter won't block it)

Approximate literal translation (I've only taken a year of Japanese so forgive me): "The world is not something that is lovely. Thus, it is therefore lovely."

Reading the original sentence gives a deeper insight to the sentence. (Done 5 years of Japanese here.)

It's not the world is not beautiful therefore it is beautiful, but the world is beautiful because it isn't. And I understand why : if nothing were happening, there would be nothing at all, so while we would like that everything were perfect, it just can't be, so the beauty is to be seen in that fact of life.

13_CBS
2009-07-08, 01:21 PM
Just wondering, but what kind of insights do you get from reading the original Japanese?

Arakune
2009-07-08, 01:24 PM
Er, thanks for the info. (It had to be an anime/manga quote, considering who said that :smallsigh: )

13_CBS
2009-07-08, 01:25 PM
Er, thanks for the info. (It had to be an anime/manga quote, considering who said that :smallsigh: )

You seem very disappointed. :smallconfused:

Ichneumon
2009-07-08, 01:28 PM
I think it is trying to say that things are beutiful because they are imperfect, ugly.

chiasaur11
2009-07-08, 01:30 PM
Reading the original sentence gives a deeper insight to the sentence. (Done 5 years of Japanese here.)

It's not the world is not beautiful therefore it is beautiful, but the world is beautiful because it isn't. And I understand why : if nothing were happening, there would be nothing at all, so while we would like that everything were perfect, it just can't be, so the beauty is to be seen in that fact of life.

Eh, after reading about the wood between the worlds in "The Magician's Nephew", I find the idea of a world without flaws, deformities, or even motivating forces can still have beauty to it.

I mean, I totally get beauty from imperfection and everything, and free will is on my list of best things ever, right up there with bacon, just saying that something can conceivably be beautiful without any lack of beauty involved.

13_CBS
2009-07-08, 01:32 PM
Eh, after reading about the wood between the worlds in "The Magician's Nephew", I find the idea of a world without flaws, deformities, or even motivating forces can still have beauty to it.

I mean, I totally get beauty from imperfection and everything, and free will is on my list of best things ever, right up there with bacon, just saying that something can conceivably be beautiful without any lack of beauty involved.

Judging from what I've seen in the anime and from my interpretations of the line, I don't think Kino's Journey is trying to necessarily say that a perfect world would be a bad one. It's a more positive and affirming one than a denying negative one, that the world has its imperfections but it's these imperfections that make it beautiful. It doesn't go on to say that, therefore, perfect worlds are not beautiful.

truemane
2009-07-08, 02:07 PM
It has been a while since I've had to do one of these, so take what I say with an aged grain of salt. But I think what you've broken there is the Law of The Excluded Middle.

You have:

The world is not beautiful.
p = ~q (p is NOT q)

THEREFORE...

The world is beautiful.
p=q (p is q)

If (p=~q) and (p=q) THEREFORE (~q=q)

And the Law of The Excluded Middle says q OR (~q).

Also, and this is the part of which I'm a little uncertainm but I don't think you can use "Therefore" without two premises. A logical syllogism has a major term, a minor term, and a middle term. And the your agrument lacks a Middle Term.

So, you have an Excluded Middle. I think.

Regardless of what Lino happens to think about it.

Arakune
2009-07-08, 02:27 PM
It has been a while since I've had to do one of these, so take what I say with an aged grain of salt. But I think what you've broken there is the Law of The Excluded Middle.

You have:

The world is not beautiful.
p = ~q (p is NOT q)

THEREFORE...

The world is beautiful.
p=q (p is q)

If (p=~q) and (p=q) THEREFORE (~q=q)

And the Law of The Excluded Middle says q OR (~q).

Also, and this is the part of which I'm a little uncertainm but I don't think you can use "Therefore" without two premises. A logical syllogism has a major term, a minor term, and a middle term. And the your agrument lacks a Middle Term.

So, you have an Excluded Middle. I think.

Regardless of what Lino happens to think about it.

Thanks :smallbiggrin:! That's (and also Serpentine) kind of answer I wanted.

For everyone else, thanks and feel free to discuss the manga.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-08, 10:31 PM
It's the small imperfections that remind you how perfect something is.