PDA

View Full Version : Help with things I should already know

JeffreyToTheMax
2009-07-08, 02:31 PM
Given my position as slightly more technology literate than most others in my family, they occassionally come to me for advice. The reality is I don't really know all that much, but I try to help out anyway. Recently, though, I have had three queries asked that I need a little help with:

First, what is probably the simplest thing. I need to figure out how to make a Facebook page for an organization. I have heard in my travels around the Seven Internets that this process is different from creating a plain old Facebook account, although I haven't really done that either.
Which e-mail service is best for sending out large quantities of e-mail at a time? All I know for a fact is that it's not Hotmail.
And the most complex issue - making a web page. I assume paying a monthly fee is pretty much required here, but I don't really have any idea how to go about it.

I don't usually like asking others for help, and talking to strangers even on forums has always bothered me, but I know if there's anywhere I can find the answers to these questions, it is here. Or, y'know... somewhere else. But this site was already bookmarked in my browser, so here we are.

RTGoodman
2009-07-08, 02:56 PM
Ooh, I know the first one! The process of making a Facebook PAGE is different than making a PROFILE. You can make a Page (like this one (http://www.facebook.com/dungeonsanddragons)) from HERE (http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php).

For the second, I don't know for sure, but I find GMail is generally superior to other e-mail services.

As for creating a website, you could always just Google it (http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS321&=&q=Creating+a+Website&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=)...

Vaynor
2009-07-08, 06:26 PM
Given my position as slightly more technology literate than most others in my family, they occassionally come to me for advice. The reality is I don't really know all that much, but I try to help out anyway. Recently, though, I have had three queries asked that I need a little help with:

First, what is probably the simplest thing. I need to figure out how to make a Facebook page for an organization. I have heard in my travels around the Seven Internets that this process is different from creating a plain old Facebook account, although I haven't really done that either.
Which e-mail service is best for sending out large quantities of e-mail at a time? All I know for a fact is that it's not Hotmail.
And the most complex issue - making a web page. I assume paying a monthly fee is pretty much required here, but I don't really have any idea how to go about it.

I don't usually like asking others for help, and talking to strangers even on forums has always bothered me, but I know if there's anywhere I can find the answers to these questions, it is here. Or, y'know... somewhere else. But this site was already bookmarked in my browser, so here we are.

For making a web page you can either use a website to craft one (like using premade settings and paying the site) or you can buy Dreamweaver, Adobe's website design program. Then you'd need to host it, so you find a hosting site and purchase the domain and pay a fee to keep the site up, etc.