PDA

View Full Version : V's headband

elonin
2009-07-08, 03:49 PM
Sorry if this is well trampled ground. Do you think that V's headband is also a hat of disguise? Notice in the most recent strip how it appears to be a hairband.

Olorin Maia
2009-07-08, 03:59 PM
I believe that the current speculation is that it is a metal circlet of wizardry that fits to the owners size (and used as a hair tie) or a headband of wizardry that is made of cloth.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-08, 04:14 PM
Maybe V lost her/his headband during the transformation (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0635.html), and had a bracelet or whatever that s/he used it 667.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-08, 05:17 PM
Personally, I think that the headband of intellect is in the form of a cord, which allows it to be used as a hairband. If you look carefully at V's hair in panel 5, it appears to be larger than a perfect fit, as if it was doubled over a few times like a normal hairband. In my mind, this disproves the "headband resizes" theory.

David Argall
2009-07-08, 06:48 PM
It is almost certainly not a hat of disguise. We have had several chances for it to have been used if it were. Of course, V is not one for disguises, but that would mean V would be unlikely to get a hat in the first place.

Of course, there is always the future, and it could "just happen" that V does have a hat of disguise if that will be plot useful, but V has several things she would prefer to a hat of disguise.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-08, 07:28 PM
I think it's some sort of chain.

elonin
2009-07-08, 08:45 PM
Is a circlet of wizardry the same item as the ring? While v has alot of spells midlevel casters have alot to throw around. My first guess is Int boost item, though it being a chain makes sense. In that case s/he spent more on it to be slotless.

Kaytara
2009-07-08, 10:48 PM
I think it's some sort of chain.

I could be wrong but I don't think a chain is the best material to tie your HAIR with... if you want to keep that hair, at least.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-08, 11:55 PM
Is a circlet of wizardry the same item as the ring? While v has alot of spells midlevel casters have alot to throw around. My first guess is Int boost item, though it being a chain makes sense. In that case s/he spent more on it to be slotless.

As mentioned in another thread with same topic:

Headband of Intellect
This device is a light cord
it does take a slot (on the head) whether it is being used as a hair tie or a headband. It does boost Int, and it seems the most likely magic item a person like V would use.

This is your friend: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#headbandofIntellect

elonin
2009-07-09, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Totally Guy
2009-07-09, 06:21 AM
This device is a light cord

Oh, I get it. When you need an idea you pull the light cord and *ding* the light bulb above your head turns on!

It's a bit cartoony for my tastes though.

Zanaril
2009-07-09, 06:27 AM
Oh, I get it. When you need an idea you pull the light cord and *ding* the light bulb above your head turns on!

Quoted for Awesome.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-09, 01:31 PM

Not quite. The (hopefully metaphorical) lightbulb is "on" ll of the time.
Also, cord is a synonym for rope. Sort of. Well, close enough.

Zanaril
2009-07-09, 01:33 PM
Not quite. The (hopefully metaphorical) lightbulb is "on" ll of the time.
Also, cord is a synonym for rope. Sort of. Well, close enough.

I think of cord as kind of plaited string. It's a bit tougher and more hard wearing than normal string, but it's not quite rope.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-09, 03:12 PM
I think of cord as kind of plaited string. It's a bit tougher and more hard wearing than normal string, but it's not quite rope.
Hence the

Sort of. Well, close enough.
Insert reasons there should be no 10-character rule

Bibliomancer
2009-07-09, 04:39 PM

Wouldn't a lantern archon appear instead?

Jalor
2009-07-09, 05:08 PM
According to the SRD, the Headband of Intellect (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#headbandofIntellect) is a "light cord".

Edit: Next time I need to read the entire thread before posting.

Almaseti
2009-07-09, 05:56 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think a chain is the best material to tie your HAIR with... if you want to keep that hair, at least.

I can tell you from personal experience that it isn't. (Owie.)

Olorin Maia
2009-07-12, 03:25 PM
You tied your hair with a chain? Is that why your avatar has short hair? :smalleek:Ouch indeed.

Babale
2009-07-12, 04:37 PM
This raises the question... Where did V get a 1,500 GP Gold Circlet to put on her head before casting Shapeshift?

Threeshades
2009-07-12, 06:04 PM
This raises the question... Where did V get a 1,500 GP Gold Circlet to put on her head before casting Shapeshift?

1,500gp items are usually pretty early available considering the wealth by level standards also you shouldnt see it too tightly, since even though the OotS verse adheres to d20 rules, it doesn't do so extremely strictly. So it might happen that some characters have more or less magic equipment than is to be expected of a dnd character of their level.