PDA

View Full Version : Help me price this homebrew item!

Delcan
2005-11-21, 06:46 PM
Rod of the Faceless Lord
This slender iron rod continuously drips acidic ooze down its length from its qwartz tip. The acid deals 1d6 damage per round to anyone who grasps the rod with bare hands; only a metal gauntlet will prevent damage. The rod can be treated as a +1 club that deals 1d6 additional acid damage on a successful hit.
If the wielder of the Rod of the Faceless Lord is an evil cleric, they may attempt to rebuke/command oozes instead of undead. The HD of any oozes thus commanded count as three times the HD amount of undead they may command at any time. (Example: An evil cleric can command up to 24 HD of undead. They may thus command two 4-HD gelatinous cubes, or one cube and twelve 1-HD skeletons.)
Moderate enchantment (evil); CL ??; Craft Rod, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be a cultist of Juiblex; ????? gp; 3 lbs.

How much should this offset a group's treasure haul? I'm absolutely certain the PCs won't sell it, and they're certainly not going to be able to buy one or have one made. (This is an evil campaign, so it's more than likely that someone in the party will try to use it more than once.)

Dr._Weird
2005-11-21, 06:51 PM
Very expensive. I would say something like 20000 gp.

RowanOakleaf
2005-11-21, 09:08 PM
A metal gauntlet probably wont work because acid eats through metal. A better solution would be a dragon-hide glove made from the skin of a black or copper dragon (acid immunity) or make the metal gauntlet magical to resist the acid. Other than that, your item sounds pretty neat. ^^ Since it's basically a +1 acidic club with acid damage and command oozes, I'd say 15,000gp.

Delcan
2005-11-21, 10:54 PM
I actually took the acid damage right off of gelatinous cubes, which only eat flesh and not stone or metal. (They're the collectors of any well-kept dungeon, doncha know.) It would also mean the rod itself doesn't need any exceptional magic to keep itself intact, but that's just fluff.

Thanks for the input, both of you. Given that it's effectively an 8,000 gp weapon (with a minor hurts-you curse that's easy to get rid of), along with a somewhat obscure and hard-to-use-effectively special ability, it'll go for 16,000 gp treasure-wise. That sounds about right for this group.

Spuddly
2005-11-22, 12:42 AM
A rod like that would be a real chore to carry around.

You'd need a metal case or sheath or something.

Also, can the ooze that drips from is be collected? As a player, I would *immediately* see if the ooze couldn't be saved up for something fun.