PDA

View Full Version : Creative uses of spells

Faulty
2009-07-08, 07:51 PM
So, creative ways of using spells!

Cast geas/quest on someone, directing them to do something absurdly specific, and then cast mindrape to remove the memory of being geased. :smallwink:

AslanCross
2009-07-08, 08:08 PM
I recall our wizard's use of the much-hated celerity to save a party member's life.

The party was trying to scale a wall, but everybody was failing badly except the ranger, thanks to their horrible ranks in climb and heavy armor. The ranger was invisible, but she was on the top of the wall alone, surrounded by lots of hobgoblins and an ogre. When she finally broke invisibility, she quickly got mobbed by two hobgoblin warblades. The ranger was quickly cornered, and one of the warblades used Rabid Wolf Strike on her, threatening a crit. (x3, thanks to the use of a handaxe). The hit would take her down to -10 instantly.

The party members look at each other. The ranger's player is despondent. The wizard says "HOLD IT!"

He casts celerity, and then glitterdusts the warblade. The warblade fails her save, and is blind all of a sudden. I roll her miss chance, declaring a miss if she rolls 51 or higher. The warblade rolls an exact 51, and much cheering erupts around the table.

The ranger lets loose a burning blade full attack (she had Swordsage levels) on the warblade, but ironically decides to spare her life in the end.

TheCountAlucard
2009-07-08, 08:28 PM
Party's running from rat swarms controlled by a gnollish ghoul (or was it a ghoulish gnoll? :smalltongue:). The Healer, having devoted his spells to helping out a church of Garl Glittergold, has only orisons left. The Warlock begins helping the other PCs scale a wall. The rats start climbing up after them, much to the party's dismay. The party is not equipped to fight a swarm.

The Healer thinks about it for a second, and asks me, "Can I create water on the wall, making it wet and slippery?"

Not a bad idea. I told him it raised the Climb DC just enough that the rats couldn't climb it.

Lycanthromancer
2009-07-08, 09:07 PM
This isn't about spell-use per se, but it should be close enough.

I had a CE blue goblin shaper 6/3.5 constructor 10 (no LA) in a group of Good-aligned adventurers that had been paralyzed by an epic level ancient black dragon dracolich with the shadow template; it had been set specifically to capture me to bring me back to its master (an epic level caster of some sort with a staff of permanent sculpted AMF).

I'd manifested a Huge astral construct in a previous round, so I commanded it to grab my paralyzed body, dimension door away, then carry me into the surrounding forest. As the dracolich flew in pursuit, the party's cleric blinded it with glitterdust; it had blindsense, however, and so it could sense me up ahead.

Constructors have the ability to create several lower-level astral constructs with a single manifestation, and can sculpt them to appear as another specific creature with a successful Craft check, and so I proceeded to create a whole slew of Small goblin-shaped constructs. Generally speaking, it's easy to tell a construct from the creature it resembles, but in this case, having my pursuer blinded was...rather helpful.

The Huge construct hid me carefully under the foliage, enraging the dracolich as it kept grabbing-and-dropping constructs that obviously weren't me. On my next turn, I manifested some additional constructs (by this point, I had about 12 goblin-shaped constructs and one Huge construct), and I commanded the Huge construct to grapple, with the other 12 Aiding Another for a rather sizable grapple check.

I managed to pin the dracolich until my party got there, and watched as they pummeled the thing into dust.

I held off an epic level critter with a swarm of 1 HD Mini-Me's!

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-09, 09:20 AM
So, creative ways of using spells!

Cast geas/quest on someone, directing them to do something absurdly specific, and then cast mindrape to remove the memory of being geased. :smallwink:

That's evil.

I'm fond of casting item-specific spells on corpses (preferably permanent duration or made permanent via permanency) and then animating the corpse.

obnoxious
sig

Darwin
2009-07-09, 09:26 AM
That's evil.

I'm fond of casting item-specific spells on corpses (preferably permanent duration or made permanent via permanency) and then animating the corpse.

obnoxious
sig

Wouldn't the item-specific spells be cancelled once the corpse had been animated as they would now have an invalid target?

Aaanyways I fondly remember how our group once made a hill giant destroy the huge sack of rocks it carried around for ammunition by having the sack insult the giant through ghost sound. :smallbiggrin:

Night Monkey
2009-07-09, 09:32 AM
Never seen done, but it struck me that an entertaining way to counter the Kensai rocket punch (a Monk/Kensai who has put the throwing, returning and flaming or flaming burst enchantments on his fists) would be to ready an action/contingency to cast Disjunction on the fist when it is flying through the air, detatched from the Kensai's body. It collapses to the ground, the Kensai is left without a hand. Even more entertaining if, as I saw suggested somewhere, the Kensai used his head as his enchanted natural weapon instead of his fists...

PrismaticPIA
2009-07-09, 09:42 AM
I played a Halfing Druid who used a Dire Croc as a submarine to get into a black dragon's lair, whose only entrance was under a pool of acid 20ft deep.

Threeshades
2009-07-09, 09:53 AM
I don't think it's all too creative but we once were in a dungeon that had a section where the floor was covered with flammable oil. This section conveniently was only to be reached through a magic portal. So just after we came there we went right back out again, had the wizard cast a flaming sphere, moved it through the portal and shut it.

Unfortunately afterwards, even though the portal was still intact, we couldn't enter the dungeon without massive resistances to fire.

Faulty
2009-07-09, 02:18 PM
This isn't about spell-use per se, but it should be close enough.

I had a CE blue goblin shaper 6/3.5 constructor 10 (no LA) in a group of Good-aligned adventurers that had been paralyzed by an epic level ancient black dragon dracolich with the shadow template; it had been set specifically to capture me to bring me back to its master (an epic level caster of some sort with a staff of permanent sculpted AMF).

I'd manifested a Huge astral construct in a previous round, so I commanded it to grab my paralyzed body, dimension door away, then carry me into the surrounding forest. As the dracolich flew in pursuit, the party's cleric blinded it with glitterdust; it had blindsense, however, and so it could sense me up ahead.

Constructors have the ability to create several lower-level astral constructs with a single manifestation, and can sculpt them to appear as another specific creature with a successful Craft check, and so I proceeded to create a whole slew of Small goblin-shaped constructs. Generally speaking, it's easy to tell a construct from the creature it resembles, but in this case, having my pursuer blinded was...rather helpful.

The Huge construct hid me carefully under the foliage, enraging the dracolich as it kept grabbing-and-dropping constructs that obviously weren't me. On my next turn, I manifested some additional constructs (by this point, I had about 12 goblin-shaped constructs and one Huge construct), and I commanded the Huge construct to grapple, with the other 12 Aiding Another for a rather sizable grapple check.

I managed to pin the dracolich until my party got there, and watched as they pummeled the thing into dust.

I held off an epic level critter with a swarm of 1 HD Mini-Me's!

That is brilliant.

Justin B.
2009-07-09, 04:34 PM
I've done some rather interesting ones, including using a Fly spell to get a grappler off of my back and using a Summon Monster spell to Summoner 1D4 dogs to help dig a comrade out of a living dune. It works pretty well both times.

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-09, 04:48 PM
Wouldn't the item-specific spells be cancelled once the corpse had been animated as they would now have an invalid target?

Aaanyways I fondly remember how our group once made a hill giant destroy the huge sack of rocks it carried around for ammunition by having the sack insult the giant through ghost sound. :smallbiggrin:

The rules themselves are unclear. There was a discussion about this some time ago. IIRC, According to sage, the magic will remain even if the object/creature changes fundamentally after the magic is applied. For example if you use shrink item on a corpse and them animate it, it remains small; apply the spellstitched template to a creature and then return it to life and it retains its spellstitched abilities, etc.

obnoxious
sig