PDA

View Full Version : New race idea...help needed!

tokara2132
2005-10-18, 12:57 PM
Hello, everyone. I started this thread a little while ago in an attempt to develop a new race that would be unlike normal races. This race is a race of quadrapedial wolf-like beings that have since been dubbed the olmaji. Heres a little something for you...

The Olmaji

There are many creatures of the wilderness that look much like the natural animals they live near. Worgs and Blink Dogs look very much like wild wolves and dogs, while some other more exotic creatures, like the displacer beast, still have some resemblances to normal creatures. However, there has been one type of creature that had been rumored for centuries, but have only recently been making themselves known to the Known World: a race of wolf-like beings of great wisdom known as the Olmaji. They have made strides to make themselves more spread out and more numerous, to the point that they have know made themselves known throughout many large swaths of land. Their numbers are still rather low, but they have been growing, often establishing tribes and villages in the more isolated areas that they live. however, they are still nomadic at heart, so such villages are rare
Personality: Most encounters with Olmaji seen to get the same impression: They often speak with wisdom and experience, but their conversations are often blunt and to the point. Once an outsider has been accepted, the Olmaji show more of their normal personality. They are simply trying to survive in lands often harsh to those living there. Individually they could vary, but most keep a mindset similar to this. Sometimes this borders on a sort of fatalism, but this is not too common.
Olmaji have great respect for age and wisdom, regardless of whether or not it is one of their own kind. It has not been unknown for some Olmaji to seek the consel of a wise humanoid to aid their struggle for survival.
Physical Description: To the naive, the Olmaji look exactly like wolves. Their height, size, weight, and mode of movement is nearly exact to that of the creature they are often mistaken for. It is with a shrewd eye that the difference between Olmaji and wolf are seen: The olmji often have a metallic sheen to their fur which augments their normal color, and their paws are shaped similarly to humans.
One surprising trait of the Olmaji is their ability to rear up and walk on their back legs, much like humans can. However, they are often clumsy when like this and prefer to stay on all fours.
Relations: Because they are creatures of nature, it is not a surprise that the Olmaji would be closest to the humanoid closest to nature. therefore they welcome any elf, half-elf and gnome that finds their tribe. dwarves and humans are greeted, but not necessarily welcomed, and half-orcs are often met with suspicion. However, there is one race the Olmaji find a strange kinship with: halflings. Halflings, with their semi-nomadic lifestyle, often are befriended by Olmaji tribes as friends and kindred spirits. They don't mind the halfling tendencies to theft and rougish acts: they see it as a way to survive.
Alignment: Often uncaring about philosophical matters, added with their rather aloof view of survival and procreation, most wandering Olmaji have a viewpoint of neutrality. They often see dedication to a cause other than survivial to be rather risky, putting the numbers of the already limited Olmaji at risk of possibly enflaming the wrath of a being that could potentially destroy their entire race and have their name die in obscurity.
Religion: The Olmaji are a race without a cheif diety of their own, making them not too disimilar than humans. However, given the circumstances of the race and where they often live, Olmaji have a rather strong tendency to follow the teachings of Obad-Hai (or an equivalent diety), seeing nature as the ultimate savior or destroyer of their race.
Language: Being creatures of the wild, the Olmaji make much use of the language of the fey: Sylvan. They also often pick up Common to speak and reason with many different people. Regardless of what they speak, the voice of an Olmaji, regardless of gender, is often deep and rough. There have been several occasions when Olmaji adventurers that have just passed the coming of age being mistaken for an Olmaji of many decades older.
Names: Olmaji names are often simple and to the point, usually being no more than three sylibles(sp) in length, usually ending with a vowel. However, within the name is not only the Olmajis given name but also the tribe name as well. For example, in the first male name, Amitarri, the Olmajis given name would be Ami, then combined with the tribe name, Tarri. The names given below have both the given and tribal name
Male Names: Amitarri, Breggiol, Bulgaahi, Dellki, Jakkne, Lerrget, Makkraa, Setroi, Vertiji
Female Names: Camtai, Feilou, Iyolda, Narike, Quissai, Rellima, Teggru, Ulmaiji, Yersilo.

Olmaji racial traits
- Medium magical beast.
- +2 Dex, -2 Cha
- 40 ft Base speed
- +2 Natural Armor
- Natural Attack: Bite 1d6
- Quadruped: As a quadruped, Olmaji have a higher base speed, and have a +4 bonus on checks to avoid being bullrushed and tripped. Olmaji may rise to their rear legs as a move action, but doing so in the middle of combat reduces their effective dexterity by 4 points (minimum 1) and they can only move 10 feet per round. Olmaji can drop to all fours as a free action, dropping any item they are currently carrying in their hands.
- Dexterous claws: An Olmaji’s front paws are dexterous enough to perform as well as a human’s hands, although they must rise on their rear legs to do so. An Olmaji’s arms are not made to wield most humanoid weapons effectively. They can wield ranged weapons if they are on their rear legs.
Olmaji can cast spells as any other race.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen, Move Silently and Survival Checks.
- Special Attack - Rake: When engaged in a grapple, a Olmaji can make 2 rake attacks in addition to his bite attack. These attacks are at his full base attack bonus plus strength, dealing 1d4 points of damage plus ˝ his strength modifier. Rake attacks can only be used once per round.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Orc, and Terran.
- Favored Class: Ranger. Olmaji are martial creatures that are closely tied to nature, but mostly lack the uncontrolled rage of the barbarian.

I'm, letting everyone put in their two cp (as a friend of mine put it). Tell me what you think.

SkullspliTTer
2005-10-18, 01:23 PM
It sounds like you'e basically wanting to make intelligent wolves. What type of ECL do you want it to have, if any? You could make their hands like humans' (four digits and an opposable thumb), but keep them on all fours when walking and such. This would take care of the skills problem. What type of society do they have? Do they all live in the wild like wolves or do they live small encampments?

tokara2132
2005-10-18, 05:01 PM
It sounds like you'e basically wanting to make intelligent wolves. What type of ECL do you want it to have, if any? You could make their hands like humans' (four digits and an opposable thumb), but keep them on all fours when walking and such. This would take care of the skills problem. What type of society do they have? Do they all live in the wild like wolves or do they live small encampments?

To answer your question, i'd like to have them as an available PC race, which would essentially make them ECL one for now. Its just that I have liked the idea of a race that is non-humanoid as a PC race. Wolves just seemed easiest to mold and make (plus, those are fairly close to my examples anyway, although a race of intel;ligent great cats could work as well).

Anywho, I like your idea for the digit thing. Although they would have them for the most part stunted in order to make the best of them, they could easily be used for things like rope and theft.

Democratus
2005-10-18, 05:03 PM
There are lots of ways to be non-bipedal.

Do they float? Roll? Or simply have more/less than two legs? Quadriped?

Perhaps tentacles?

Personally I think you should make it something that can fly, but not walk.

wookiesnot
2005-10-18, 05:26 PM
have you concidered somthing like an Octopus or squid? somthing with tentacles or somthing similar that can ge used as either hands or feet? and more expensive armor shouldn't be a problem, if they have a developed society they probably make their own armor. a species of terrestrial squids would make a really fun PC class.

jdrich
2005-10-18, 05:39 PM
1) This race would be unable to use weapons, and with only a single natural weapon it would be able to attack only once, even at higher levels.

Not a problem in any way. Create several martial/exotic weapons (mouth blades, clawed gauntlets, shoulder daggers) that the race gains proficiency or familiarity (exotic weapons that count as martial weapons) for free. In this scenario, a cat-like creature would be easier since they are more dextrous when it comes to using thier mouths/tongues, but a wolf type creature could still make use of some of the things.

2) To use armor, it will cost a character of this class far more than normal armor.

Give them a natural armor or (preferably) speed bonus. At first level it will even the playing field, and at higher levels it wont matter as much. In one case, the cost of better armor wont be that significant compared to the enhancement bonuses, and in another the creature wont want to sacrifice great speed for a meagerly increased AC.

3) The fact that it would not be able to use hands means that several skills, like Use Rope and Sleight of Hand, would be severely penalized.

Use Rope might not be effected. Some people can tie knots with thier tongues, and so this creature might be just as able, given use of its paws, to tie a knot. Sleight of Hand wouldn't get a penalty, since nothing prevents a creature like a Dragon from taking the skill.

I like this concept, but don't know where to start. Please HELP!!!!

Your main problem is this: It is inconcieveable that a race without opposable thumbs (or at least ape-like hands or some other appendage) would be able to exist in an independant civilization. Unless these creatures were created by magic, they really are in a stick. Sure they can use mouth-blades and such, but since they cannot make them, they cannot really exist on thier own. The creature's could have developed an understanding of agriculture, but would not be able to develop tools of similar construction to rakes and hoes.

Magic is nearly your only out. Whether the making of a deranged wizard or a twisted wolfwere, the race could have just come into existence through experimentation and such. This isn't a bad idea. An awakened wolf mates with a polymorphed fey-type or druid or outsider, and suddenly all of his progeny are awakened as well.

However, in order to make the class balanced (They can never easily use ranged weapons) you could use feats from the Draconomicon (Rapid Strike allows iterative natural attacks) or make up a set of feats specially taylored to the race.

I don't know if the Kirre have been remade in 3.5, but that might be a good place to start. They were a six-legged horned cat-like beast that had magical powers as well as other abilities. Pretty cool, Int was 8-9 (In 2nd edition).

You might also want to check out the Moon Dog (MM II?). It has hands though, so that's a bit of a cop-out.

If you're going the aberration route (strange freak of nature), then why not combine multiple creatures for your benefit? Perhaps the race has a secondary set of arms that can be used for manipulating things (Or an advanced mouthpiece, like an insect) for crafting and the like.

Another route would be with a spell-like ability like Mage Hand to use at will.

coredump
2005-10-18, 05:57 PM
:
1) This race would be unable to use weapons, and with only a single natural weapon it would be able to attack only once, even at higher levels.Give them a natural ability that does damage as a standard action. Couild be a mental attack, range 5', or 500'. Could be a head butt, whatever, just make it a standard action. And you will need to let it get more powerufl with level.

2) To use armor, it will cost a character of this class far more than normal armor.How much more. As it is, it would cost more to get it in 'wolf' shape. But magic would cost the same. You could also give it double penalties for wearing armor.
Perhaps give it a 'magic resistance' that makes armor not work as well. So it takes double the +, to get the same effect. (that is a *lot* more expensive)

3) The fact that it would not be able to use hands means that several skills, like Use Rope and Sleight of Hand, would be severely penalized. severely as in 'can't do it'. It will be hard to let them use rope, but not weapons. Unless you make weapon use 'against their culture' instead.

So, what benefits will they get for these penalties?

tokara2132
2005-10-18, 06:23 PM
Well, after looking over your ideas, I think I can goo off now and create them. I just need a name, and I'll be good to go.

but so far, as a race, it will look a bit like this:

- Medium Magical Beast
- +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Cha
- Base Speed 40ft
- Natural Armor +2
- Will of Man: Although not humanoid, this race is affected by spells that would normally work for humanoid races, such as Charm Person
- Quadreped: This race pays more for armor as a medium nonhumanoid, as shown in the Players Handbook.
- Dexterous Claws: Although not used to wield weapons, this race can use its front pays as hands, much like a human.
- Scent

Although I still need to do some work on it, this is what I have so far. tell me what you think.

(PS, just to tell you, they are quadrepeds. like I said when I started, I wanted it to be in the vein of Red XIII from Final Fantasy)

SpiderBrigade
2005-10-18, 06:38 PM
I'd say that letting them use hand-based skills but not weapons does make sense, in a certain way: as quadrupeds they couldn't hold something in their hand and move at the same time. I guess if you really wanted to let a player use a weapon they could, but only if they didn't move with it drawn. I would also think about not giving them their dex to AC with a weapon out, since they'd be standing on their hind legs and not able to move about/dodge effectively. You might also implement a special feat that would enable weapon fighting, and not allow it otherwise.

coredump
2005-10-18, 06:38 PM
- Medium Magical Beast
- +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Cha
- Base Speed 40ft
- Natural Armor +2
- Will of Man: Although not humanoid, this race is affected by spells that would normally work for humanoid races, such as Charm Person
- Quadreped: This race pays more for armor as a medium nonhumanoid, as shown in the Players Handbook.
- Dexterous Claws: Although not used to wield weapons, this race can use its front pays as hands, much like a human.
- Scent

Why make them magical beasts? I would just make them normal creatures.
How do they do damage? 1D6 is lousy damage, and it doesn't go up. So at level 10, they will still be doing 1d10 damage.
Also, as written, they get iterative attacks with the bite.
Realize that the added cost for armor will become meaningless by about 3rd level.
How can the hands be used like a humans, but not hold a sword?
What kind of LA are you planning on giving this? Aside from not being able to do damage, lot of benefits.

Beelzebub1111
2005-10-18, 06:45 PM
you could take the feat, Improved Natural Attack from MM

Reyth
2005-10-18, 07:12 PM
You could invent new weapons for them too, like a helmet with a spike on it, usable for attacks in the same way a unicorn would use its horn. Or grant them 'melee telekinesis' which means when fighting, they can manipulate a sword close to their bodies as if they had an invisible hand.

You could give them missile weapons by letting them use a sling with their tails.

Mephibosheth
2005-10-18, 07:28 PM
You could just use one of the anthropomorphic animals from Savage Species. Basically, any animal in the Monster Manual can be made into a player race.

I'm not familiar with the characters you're using as a model, but if you wanted to make a race that can use weapons but is primarily quadrupedal, why not model it after bears or apes, who can stand on two legs with limited mobility but move primarily on four legs? Give the race a two-legged speed (something really slow like 10ft/round) and a normal speed that can only be used when the character is using all four limbs to move. Rule that the character can't wield any weapons or cast spells with somatic components while moving using four legs, but can rise to two legs as a move action (that likely provokes an AoO) and wield weapons in their hands (making Quick Draw the character's best friend!). You could then craft some feats that improve the characters mobility while using only two legs, its ability to fight/cast spells while moving on four legs, or its ability to switch between the two.

Hope that helps!

Mephibosheth

GreenGamer
2005-10-18, 09:23 PM
Heres my say in the matter

- Monsterous Humanoid
- Meduim Sized
- Low light vision
- +2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Cha
- Base Speed 40ft, Burrow speed 10ft, and at 6th level gains fly speed 20ft which increases to 40ft at 12 level
- Natural Attacks: Bite 1d6, Claws 1d4, or Tail 1d3.
when wielding two claws this monster is considered to have the two-weapon fighting feat.
- Suffers a -5 penalty on all dex based skill checks.
- Can't wield weapons
- Armour cost twice as much.

tokara2132
2005-10-20, 12:55 PM
Heres my say in the matter

- Monsterous Humanoid
- Meduim Sized
- Low light vision
- +2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Cha
- Base Speed 40ft, Burrow speed 10ft, and at 6th level gains fly speed 20ft which increases to 40ft at 12 level
- Natural Attacks: Bite 1d6, Claws 1d4, or Tail 1d3.
when wielding two claws this monster is considered to have the two-weapon fighting feat.
- Suffers a -5 penalty on all dex based skill checks.
- Can't wield weapons
- Armour cost twice as much.

Okay, I have some issues here:
1) Where did you get Monsterous Humanoid from? The reason why I chose Magical Beast is because it seemed the best fit for now.
2) Where did you get a fly speed? These are intelligent WOLVES (or Great Cats), why would I want them to fly?
3) Why a -2 to Dex? If it is a wolf, and even more true if I go the cat route, they will have great agility and reflexes.
4) -5 on ALL Dex checks? that is really extreme.

Okay, lets try this again, and I'll see how this comes out:

The Olmaji

There have been creatures that resemble normal animals that have proven themselves to be as intelligent as humans, such as blink dogs and displacer beasts. However, there had been recent spottings of another such race: a race of beings that seemed to have physical attributes of both wolves and great cats. Recently, the gnomish nation of Binli has investigated these allegations, and have made an amazing discovery. a previously unknown race of beings which call themselves the Olmaji. These creatures have a primitive but thriving culture in the more tucked-away areas of the world, but their sophistication and knowledge about the world has made them well recieved in the realms of gnomes and elves. These beings have also become more in tune with the world around them, opening up to the realms around them. Some see these beings as little more than wild animals, but they have an almost regal bearing, despite their often reserved attitudes.

Olmaji racial traits
- Medium magical beast.
- +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Cha
- 40 ft Base speed
- +3 Natural Armor
- Quadraped: The Olmaji do not use weapons or tools made specifically for humanoids.
- Will of Man: Although the Olmaji are magical beasts, spells such as Charm Person work normally on them.
- Dexterous claws: Although their are quadrapeds, they can use their front paws similarly to humanoids. This means they do not take penalties to skills that normally require the use of hands
- Scent.
-Swift Striker (Ex): Although they have only one natural attack, they treat their bite attacks as manufactured weapons for the purposes of multiple attacks.
- Favored Class: Druid. The olmaji are very close with nature, and often become druids in their reverance.

Super_Ashura
2005-10-20, 01:14 PM
I like it, but wouldn't make more sense to have their Favored Class: Ranger? That seems to fit Red XIII a little better...

Shiyuan
2005-10-21, 12:56 AM
I think Blue Rose d20 by Green Ronin Publishing handled this predicament with sentient animals as PCs.

Adghar
2005-10-21, 01:21 AM
- Quadraped: The Olmaji do not use weapons or tools made specifically for humanoids.

Do they get to wear armor? (http://d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures)

No claw attacks?

While these may be highly intelligent for animals, they can still be stupid for a player race. Especially since the stat bonuses/penalties are pretty unbalanced right now.

idksocrates
2005-10-24, 03:25 AM
One thing, Tokara, that you always have problems with is that you don't realize that a level adjusted +0 character cannot have a net gain in ability scores.

Here's my view:

Olmaji racial traits
- Medium magical beast.
- +2 Dex, -2 Cha
- 40 ft Base speed
- +2 Natural Armor
- Natural Attack: Bite 1d6, 2 rakes 1d4
- Dexterous claws: Although their are quadrapeds, they can use their front paws similarly to humanoids. This means they do not take penalties to skills that normally require the use of hands, and can cast the somatic components of spells and grasp objects normally.
- Scent.
- Rake: When engaged in a grapple, a Olmaji can make 2 rake attacks in addition to his bite attack.
- Favored Class: Druid. The olmaji are very close with nature, and often become druids in their reverance.

"Will of Man" is stupid. Magical beasts are not succeptible to "charm Person". I wouldn't say the Nurendi (a race we created) needed any kind of drawback to fend off their being native outsiders.

Olmaji feats:

Jaw Master
Perquisite: BAB +6, Olmaji
Benefit: an Olmaji's bite attack can use multiple attacks as a manufactured weapon can.

Pounce
Perquisite: Dex 19+, Jump 6 ranks, Olmaji
Benefit: Whan an Olmaji makes a charge action, they can perform a full round action, including Bite and 2 rakes.

Trip
Perquisite: Combat Expertes, Improved Trip, Weapon Focus (Bite), Olmaji
Benefit: Once per round, when an Olmaji hits with a bite attack, he can make a trip attempt as a free action

See how you like those.

Belkarseviltwin
2005-10-24, 05:52 AM
Now, how would you do the Panzerbjorn from Northern Lights? Ideas:
Size/Type: Large Animal
HDs: probably 6d8
Speed: 40ft, swim 30 ft (if not in armour)
Natural armour: +5 (but normally also wearing masterwork heavy armour)
Natural Attacks: claw 1d8/2 claws 1d8, bite 2d6
Abilities: Str +16, Dex +2, Con +8, Int -, Wis +2, Cha -4
Racial Skills: Hide -2 , Listen +5, Spot +7, Swim +16, Profession (smith) +8
LA: probably +4 or +5
Feats: Armoured Master: Takes no penalties to non-magical abilities (other than swimming) from wearing armour. This includes ranger abilities.
Two-weapon fighting
Favoured Class: Probably fighter.
Favoured weapons: Claw-gauntlets (count as masterwork scimitars),

Cubey
2005-10-24, 06:16 AM
About ability scores:
Tokara's +2 str, +2 dex & -2 cha is a bit too much for a LA 0 char. Remember that a half-orc gets -2 to both int and cha to balance out that str bonus (most important stat in DND).
Idksocrates's +2 dex, -2 int, +2 wis, -2 cha looks a bit better, but we have to remember that Red XIII (if you want to base the race's character on him too, not just the physical properties) was arguably the smartest team member in FF VII, so the -2 int modifier has to go.
+2 dex, -2 cha, I'd say. Makes sense.

idksocrates
2005-10-24, 10:35 AM
good point. i was debating putting the intelligence up.

Replacement ability scores:

+2 dex, -2 cha

tokara2132
2005-10-24, 04:12 PM
Okay...I have to say I like IDKSocrates's stats better. Although the reason why I gave them more modifier bonus' was simply because I was thinking in the long run, they would need it. Although, the reason why I hand "Will of Man" was to help counteract the ace being too powerful.

Anywho, I like where this is going.

idksocrates
2005-10-24, 11:29 PM
New feat:

Improved Grab
Perquisites: BAB +12, Powerful Build, Weapon Focus (Bite), Olmaji
Benefits: Once per round, an Olmaji who hits with his bite attack can make a grapple check as a free action. If the check succeeds, the grappled opponent is moved into the olmaji's space and takes two rake attacks.

New Weapon:

Omaji Jaws
Exotic Weapon: light
Weight: 2 lb
Price: 450 gp

The Olmaji jaws are a set of metal framed steel blades that fit on the muzzle of an Olmaji. They do not hinder use of the mouth and actually enhance it.
Olmaji jaws are always of masterwork quality (already worked into the price) and give a +1 equipement bonus to damage (in addition to the +1 enhancement bonus to attack from being masterwork)

One of the main problems left is the lack of ranged weapons. Maybe some type of modified crossbow that attaches to the back... but then they would have no chance of reloading it.

Maybe Olmaji's have a cooperative ranged attack system. Once Olmaji stays on all fours, and has the weapon strapped to his back and can fire it, and another Olmaji (or other creature) reloads it.

New Weapon:

Olmaji Portable Ballista
Exotic Weapon
Weight: 25 lb
Price: 775 gp
Range: 120 ft
Damage: 1d12
Critical: 19-20/x2
Type: Peircing
Check Penalty: -4
arcane spellfailure: 10%

The Olmaji Portable Ballista takes a fullround action to reload, and cannot be reloaded by the weilder. Weilding an Olmaji Portable Ballista has a -4 armor check penalty and increases armor type by one (none to light, light to medium, medium to heavy). Olmaji Portable Ballista's are always of masterwork quality, granting a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls.

tokara2132
2005-10-26, 12:03 PM
Ah, well, the lack of ranged weapons is exactly the reason why I did not have their favored class as ranger, as someone had pointed out. In fact I can see few classes they would be particularly tied to, like the dwarf to fighter or the halfling to rouge. Its only because of RedXIII (aka Nanakis) grandfather Bugenhaugen that I glean the favored class from. If he was an ally of the tribe of creatures Nanaki is from, and he seems very close to the archetypical druid of D&D, then it seems as close to logical as possible. However, RedXIII is also one of the strongest magic users in Final Fantasy, right behind Aeris and Cloud and just above Vincent and Yuffie.

Maybe they should have Favored class: Any?

idksocrates
2005-10-26, 08:49 PM
A favored class of any is far too powerful to put into a race with just about any racial abilities. Humans and half-elves are relatively underpowered, their benefit being their ability to crossclass almost without penalty.

Favored class should really depend on how you see their society and history. At this point, stop basing it on what creatures in video games and stories influenced you, and think about how they came into being and how they live now.

tokara2132
2005-10-27, 01:12 PM
The problem with that, IDKsocrates, is that hwne I look at it objectively, the same issues come up. The way I would create and play them would fall along the lines of this:

The Olmaji are a relatively young race. They have only begun to make friendly overtures to the other races recently, from secluded glens and forests where they reside. Their bodies would resemble wolves, but their fur color is what would set them apart: their wolf-like pelts often have a bright, almost silvery gleen to them, making them readily identifyable from normal wolves because of this. However, the Olmaji have already made dire enemies with a race whispered to be their very predecessors: the worgs. The Olmaji rarely, if ever, speak about their peoples history. However, where they live has also given them powerful allies as well, the forest loving elves and the centaurs of the nearby plains. Most olmaji are welcomed to these places, but they do not stay long, wandering with their tribes and propegating their race.

This history makes them big applicants to classes like druid, barbarian, or ranger. Since they need to survive in the wilderness and aginst other races, combat seems a good route for them. However, I do not see them flying into a bloodletting rage as a barbarian or see them secluded grove-builders as the druids, as they are often nomadic. Ranger would seem the best fit, exceptfor the fact they would not be able to take advantage to the abilities of the rangers combat abilities.

However, now that I think about it, I could make this work using the feats of IDK Socrates.

Ranger Combat Style (Olmaji)
2nd Level: Improved Natural Attack (Bite)
6th Level: Jaw Master
12th Level: Improved Grab

Hey, hey hey! I am liking this. How about you all tell me what you think, then I think the Olmaji is all but done!

Spuddly
2005-10-27, 04:43 PM
As Jonathan pointed out, not having opposable thumbs would be a huge damper on evolving technologically. But if they were sorcerors with a 'mage hand at will' sort of thing, they could do lots more.

I'm curious Jonathan, where do you get the notion that cats are better with their mouths? I see cats toy with stuff using their paws and I see dogs use their mouths.

idksocrates
2005-10-29, 03:32 AM
Olmaji racial traits
- Medium magical beast.
- +2 Dex, -2 Cha
- 40 ft Base speed
- +2 Natural Armor
- Quadruped: As a quadruped, Olmaji have a higher base speed, and have a +4 bonus on checks to avoid being bullrushed and tripped. Olmaji may rise to their rear legs as a move action, but doing so in the middle of combat reduces their effective dexterity by 4 points (minimum 1) and they can only move 10 feet per round. Olmaji can drop to all fours as a free action, dropping any item they are currently carrying in their hands.
- Dexterous claws: An Olmaji’s front paws are dexterous enough to perform as well as a human’s hands, although they must rise on their rear legs to do so. An Olmaji’s arms are not made to wield most humanoid weapons effectively. They can wield ranged weapons if they are on their rear legs.
Olmaji can cast spells as any other race.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen, Move Silently and Survival Checks.
- Special Attack - Rake: When engaged in a grapple, a Olmaji can make 2 rake attacks in addition to his bite attack. These attacks are at his full base attack bonus plus strength, dealing 1d4 points of damage plus ˝ his strength modifier. Rake attacks can only be used once per round.
- Favored Class: Ranger. Olmaji are martial creatures that are closely tied to nature, but mostly lack the uncontrolled rage of the barbarian.

Olmaji Feats:

Improved Grab
Prerequisites: BAB 12+, Str 17+, Olmaji
Benefit: Once per round, if an Olmaji hits with its bite attack, it can make a grapple check as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If the check succeeds, the Olmaji moves into the grappled opponent’s space (provoking attacks of opportunity as necessary) and is now grappling and can make 2 rake attacks against that opponent if the Olmaji has not already used its rake attacks that round.

Natural Attack Mastery
Prerequisites: BAB +6, Olmaji
Benefit: An Olmaji can treat his Bite attack as a manufactured weapon for the purposes of getting extra attacks with a higher base attack bonus.

Pounce
Prerequisites: Dex 19+, Jump 8 ranks, Olmaji
Benefit: When an Olmaji takes a charge action, he can make 2 rake attacks in addition to his primary attack.

Trip
Prerequisites: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Olmaji
Benefits: Once per round, when an Olmaji hits with his bite attack, he can make a trip attempt as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If he fails to trip his opponent, his opponent does not have the opportunity to trip him in return.

Improved nat attack has a +4 BAB requirement.

Omajir Ranger Combat Style:
2nd: Pounce
6th: Natural Attack Mastery
12: Improved Grab

yup. That should do it.

tokara2132
2005-11-01, 02:02 PM
Ha-ha! Here we go! I think we have got a winner!

Ladies, Gentlemen, and monsters of all ages, I do believe that the Olamji are done!

I must thank everyone here for their contributions, but special thanks go to IDKSocrates, Jonathan, and Cubey for their help in developing the race.

Now that the Olmaji are done, I guess I need to playtest them...

idksocrates
2005-11-03, 01:17 AM
we should probably start working on culture.

Since they are magical beasts, and have a natural tie to nature (druid), I would say they, as a race, have a distaste for manufactured weapons. Period. Obviously, you could have the exile adventurer Olmaji who uses bows with little penalty (but as they have a -4 effective penalty to dexterity when standing, they actually as a race take a net -1 penalty to ranged attack rolls, discouraging this).

So, going back to exotic weapons used by Adventuring Olmaji, the race wouldn't have them, so they would have to be custom made. Because their custom, they would be exotic weapons, and they would be subject to individual DM approval.

I suppose we could put in the entry that an Olmaji can weild custom made light weapons without penalty.
An Olmaji might also be able to get a customized hand crossbow to strap onto an arm. They would be able to use that without having to stand up. Once again, subject to individual DM approval.

now, would the Olmaji have a pack-based society, similar to wolf packs, or maybe like lion prides - would they be male dominated like many animal packs, female dominated? Do males or females tend to be larger? Maybe males tend to be rangers and females tend to be druids. Most likely, druids have a leadership position in society. Since they have human-level intelligence, they are probably fairly well developed habits.
What is their usual alignment? True neutral sounds like a good idea, especially with a Druid favored class. Do the Olmaji take on a "protectors of the forest" apect, where in any given environment, the presence of Olmaji usually means that aberations and undead tend to stay away?
What is the Olmaji's relations with other races? Are they like fey, tending to fend out races that do not have strong ties to the forest? Do they react violently to outsiders or try to make friends. As an intelligent race, do they form actual communities, participating in trade routs? How far, in fact does the organization go - family units, clan based, or heirarchy, where each group has a Druid who pays fealty to a higher Druid, with each step of the ladder encompassing more of the society?

How does the taking of mates work in Olmaji society? Is it like animals, where in mating season an Olmaji chooses a mate and most likely won't meet again, or is it more along the lines of humanoid, who take a single mate for life (ideally anyway)? Who raises the children?

That should be enough for now. :)

tokara2132
2005-11-03, 02:16 PM
Okay, I have a lot of responding to do (damn you IDKSocrates! :P), so I'll take it one point at a time.

To thier combat and weapon use, I would have to agree with you when it comes to weapons. They would not like to use manufactured weapons, more often then not prefering their own natural attacks. However, they are more than willing to use other things. Creating armor and tools would be good for them, although to stick with the nature aspect they would simply use small, natural tools and (more often than not) prefer the use of lighter armor made of leather.

As to their culture as a whole, I started with a main idea (plus, pardoning the cliche, I'll kill two birds with one stone): They are a race of nomads, much like halflings. They move about in fairly large groups of 10-15 Olmaji, including roughly 50-100% that number in those unable to fight (mostly cubs or elders). In Olmaji society, great age is considered a sign of wisdom and they are often led by the oldest Olmaji able to move about easily. This usually means the pack leaders are ex-adventurers or old defenders of the pack who have shown great experience and knowledge. Because they are nomads, they stay in the wilderness and make their lives there with friendly and non-friendly races alike. this leads them to revere nature in a way similar to the elves, although it is not as deep as the elves. Because they are not as long-lived as the elves and their constant mobility, they prefer those who are able to defend themselves and fight the greatest of enemies. However, they see the violent bloodlust of the barbarian to be too vengeful and anger-ridden to be truly trusted, so their leaders are often rangers and, to a lesser extent, druids. However, regardless of who is the leader, they often have a small entourage that consists of mostly druids. Because the age and experience of the leader is what counts and not gender, male or female Olmaji can become the leaders of this group. However, challenges for leadership are open to those who believe they are capable of leading the tribe. This, however, is a rare occurance, as most Olmaji respect age far more than they do pure strength and combat experience.

As to their society, I see them slightly more pack-based, although they are often larger in number then the normal pack and is neither mal-or-female dominated. They have a tendency to settle down in an area for a small bit to mate and raise young. Although they have no scruples when it comes to how many mates a male or female has (although having more then four mates is discouraged), most Olmaji find a single mate and mate for life with them. However, it is not uncommon for mates to have cubs of other Olmaji. This is considered acceptable by the Olmaji, as it adds numbers to their tribe and allows their race to spread. Also, males and females appear externally to be the same height and size, but females are often heavier, often outweighing their conterparts by sometimes as much as 30 pounds. Although it matters not which one stays and which one goes, at least one of the parents stays behind while the other hunts. They often trade off and sometimes watch over other cubs as well. It is also rare for two Olmaji tribes to war with one another. However, there are blood feuds between some Olmaji tribes and if they meet, warfare is more likely. However, comeplete destruction of the tribe is ulikely. Often, the battle goes until either of the leaders fall or if only the leader survives while his packmates are killed. When a skirmish does happen, they can both be as brutal as orcs or Hobgoblins, and it is not unlikely to see survivors of these confrontations to be missing part of a paw, a tail, or even something like an eye (hint hint ;)).

As I have mentioned time and again, the Olmaji are a rae that is rather inexperienced in dealing with outsiders. Although existing for many years, possibly decades and maybe even centuries, before this, only recently have they developed the numbers to allow them to expand into areas in large enough numbers in order to gain the attention of the dominant species. So far, they have been on fairly good terms with races such as centaurs, elves, and other grassland races that at least tolerate their presence. most races other races they are indifferent to, although they have some sympathy with halflinfs as they often live the same life as the Olmaji. They are wary of orcs and goblins, as they have been met with agression time and again by them, but there is one and only one race that they hate in the way that elves and dwarves hate orcs: worgs. This emnity springs from the fact that the Olmaji developed from worgs but did not follow the worg way of life. During their early years as a race, they faced near extinction time and again from attacks from their creul cousins, and have since developed a deep hatred of their cousins.

Lemme see....I don't think I missed anything...

If I did, i'm sure idksocrates will jump on my ass because of it.

idksocrates
2005-11-04, 11:54 AM
so... did you want to change their favored class to Ranger instead of Druid?

also, is the usual alignment N, or are you moving toward most fey types and going CN?

New thing: appearance. I am going to assume that your not going to say "it looks like Red XII", and if that was your intention, I'm going to smack you.
One thing I'd suggest is that fur color tends to change from environment to environment, tending to make them blend into their surroundings more.

Hey! that's a good idea, first level, an Olmaj chooses one terrain as their home terrain. They gain a +2 racial bonus on hide checks when in that type of terrain! ;D

Now, actual appearance. You say they are cousins of worg, so they are going to be more Wolf-like than cat like. try elaborating on that.

tokara2132
2005-11-07, 01:03 PM
I'm guessing you missed this, IDKSocrates. This has a lot of elaboration of the way I was going to take them, and...oh...by the way, was on the 2nd page. :P

The problem with that, IDKsocrates, is that hwne I look at it objectively, the same issues come up. The way I would create and play them would fall along the lines of this:

The Olmaji are a relatively young race. They have only begun to make friendly overtures to the other races recently, from secluded glens and forests where they reside. Their bodies would resemble wolves, but their fur color is what would set them apart: their wolf-like pelts often have a bright, almost silvery gleen to them, making them readily identifyable from normal wolves because of this. However, the Olmaji have already made dire enemies with a race whispered to be their very predecessors: the worgs. The Olmaji rarely, if ever, speak about their peoples history. However, where they live has also given them powerful allies as well, the forest loving elves and the centaurs of the nearby plains. Most olmaji are welcomed to these places, but they do not stay long, wandering with their tribes and propegating their race.

This history makes them big applicants to classes like druid, barbarian, or ranger. Since they need to survive in the wilderness and aginst other races, combat seems a good route for them. However, I do not see them flying into a bloodletting rage as a barbarian or see them secluded grove-builders as the druids, as they are often nomadic. Ranger would seem the best fit, exceptfor the fact they would not be able to take advantage to the abilities of the rangers combat abilities.

However, now that I think about it, I could make this work using the feats of IDK Socrates.

Ranger Combat Style (Olmaji)
2nd Level: Improved Natural Attack (Bite)
6th Level: Jaw Master
12th Level: Improved Grab

Hey, hey hey! I am liking this. How about you all tell me what you think, then I think the Olmaji is all but done!

One difference though: Instead of a silvery gleen to their coats, it would make more sense for it to simply be metallic. Therefore, the light brown colored Olmaji that would be found farthest south would likely have a golden tint to their pelts, dark-brown olmaji from temperate regions would most likely have a bronze tint to their pelts, and the white pelted Olmaji of the north would have a silver tint to them.

Plus, I would see them as Neutral because, in my last post, they often keep to themselves and don't bother others. They do not like to be aggressors in conflicts. There aren't as many of them around as humans of elves, so until they can get their numbers up I don't see them being overly chaotic or lawful.

idksocrates
2005-11-08, 04:34 AM
I forget nothing! I merely thought... you may have second guessed such things... and uh... you know... just giving you the chance to not make a complete fool of yourself... yeah... thats it. :P

The Glyphstone
2005-11-08, 06:46 AM
Olmaji - color coded for your convenience? ;D

tokara2132
2005-11-09, 07:11 PM
Olmaji - color coded for your convenience? ;D

Not quite. they would have the same coloration as wolves of different climates (wolf pelts range from back to brown to near-pure white)

Maybe...

Olmaji - Shiny for your convienience! ;D

idksocrates
2005-11-09, 11:19 PM
so no camoflauge then...

but you still haven't answered my question about favored class. Ranger right?

Pedantic
2005-11-09, 11:45 PM
I like the race, but for convience sake..could you edit your first post to include it?

tokara2132
2005-11-10, 01:41 PM
To IDKSocrates: Well, in the post I brought back up, I thought it was clear I wanted to go the ranger route...

Well, I want to go the ranger route. :P

To heraldofi: Once we finally work out our kinks here, i'll change my first post and put the race there. Plus, it will be in the format of PHB races, so it will have quite a bit of info on them. So, be patient, the olmaji are nearing their debut... 8)

idksocrates
2005-11-12, 03:05 PM
dummy! Post it now, so that when people come into the thread, the first post is the race, and don't have to read through 4 different revisions to give their 2 cp!

Do it, or I will start another thread called "Olmaji" and post it up front. ;D

tokara2132
2005-11-14, 04:53 PM
dummy! Post it now, so that when people come into the thread, the first post is the race, and don't have to read through 4 different revisions to give their 2 cp!

Do it, or I will start another thread called "Olmaji" and post it up front. ;D

Well, shoot. All right, i did what you asked me to. Are you happy now, peter-puller ;D

(To anyone else who may be confused, I'll explain it if you ask)

tokara2132
2005-11-21, 01:05 PM
I must apologize for the doublepost, but I believe I am finally done with the Olmaji. I have their stats and blurb on the first page if those reading want to see it.

Hahahahahaha!!! I am DONE! I'm going to sleep now.

Ilgivan
2007-10-17, 11:31 AM
I want one.

I want a Denying Stance Olmaji Monk with the Vow of Pacifism and the Vow of Poverty.

It will wander around and do nothing but be lovable and encourage people to donate to charity, and people will be very surprised that the dog is talking to them.

All efforts to harm the dog will be in vain.