PDA

View Full Version : Age of Fable hits a milestone.

Jolly Steve
2009-07-08, 11:07 PM
Although the game (http://www.ageoffable.net) is still unfinished and under construction, I've just hit an important milestone in writing it.

It's now possible to reach a successful ending and win the game.

I'll be adding at least a few other successful endings over the next couple of months.

I've been updating it daily for the last little while. So if you haven't looked at it for a while, have a look now. You're likely to find some new stuff there.

The_JJ
2009-07-08, 11:47 PM
That's your work? Bravo.

You just consumed an hour of my life.

Copper8642
2009-07-09, 12:11 AM
I love the small jokes.

Sandwich being guilty of treason at the food court, people yelling theatre in a crowded fire.

Fri
2009-07-09, 12:58 AM
It finally got an ending? Awesome. I love this game.

Jolly Steve
2009-07-09, 02:09 AM
Thanks everyone :smallbiggrin:

Ganurath
2009-07-10, 05:07 PM
*plays several times*

*finally gets an ending where he doesn't die*

...The ending carries a lot more weight if you played my character type:It says you go home. I was running a custom character, a fairy. Their origin is being banished, and vowing to someday go home.

Jolly Steve
2009-07-10, 09:18 PM
OK...I won't :smallbiggrin:

PS can you edit your post to have spoiler tags?

Ganurath
2009-07-10, 11:43 PM
Post editted, to my sincere satisfaction.

Fri
2009-07-11, 12:21 AM
So... other than a lot more encounters, what things hadn't been done so you flag this as 'unfinished' ?

DrunkMonkGar
2009-07-11, 01:13 AM
Getting rid of the blank pages that effectively end the game is probably one of them, though that might be a problem on my end.

It's an awesome and addicting game, though I wish you could choose a character type instead of having one assigned based on stats. The beginning could probably use some work too, as I once started as a boat captain even though I was a talking cat with a Seafaring of 1.

Dark Faun
2009-07-11, 03:19 AM
I love this game! :smalltongue:

I got a strange ending. Captured by the goblins and sold as a slave to become a gladiator, in the arena, I "try to remember the rebel's speech against the wealthy and powerful of the world". The end.

Is it supposed to imply I was savagely skewered by the enemy gladiator before I could even say a word? :smalltongue:
Anyway, I like the humor in this game.

"The two gods, as you now realise them to be, introduce themselves. The spider-headed woman is Lolz, goddess of the Dork Elves. The elephant-headed man is Yag-kosha, god of a race of kindly jungle folk. 'By the way, don't bother looking for the pun in my name, there isn't one' he counsels you."

"Too late, you realise the box's true nature. It's a terrible machine of the Ancients: a Plot Device."
:smalltongue:

Jolly Steve
2009-07-11, 11:05 AM
I love this game! :smalltongue:

Thanks!

I got a strange ending. Captured by the goblins and sold as a slave to become a gladiator, in the arena, I "try to remember the rebel's speech against the wealthy and powerful of the world". The end.

Is it supposed to imply I was savagely skewered by the enemy gladiator before I could even say a word? :smalltongue:

That was a mistake on my part, which I've now fixed.

I've also changed it so that, if you get a similar mistake, it'll give a message telling you it's an error rather than just ending.

PS Can you change your message so it's got spoiler tags?

Dark Faun
2009-07-11, 11:08 AM
This is not the unspoilered post you're looking for. :smallredface:

I realized I forgot to put spoilers tags quite early, but I couldn't fix it until now. :smallfrown:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-11, 11:10 AM
I was around when you annouced this game a while ago.
well, two announcements ago.

The news that there is now an ending excites me! I shall no longer waster all my crowley shells venturing outside the city and around the city and getting nowhere for my efforts!

Huzzah and jubilation, good sir!
Do we have an estimated time of Total Game Completion?

Jolly Steve
2009-07-11, 11:22 AM
Getting rid of the blank pages that effectively end the game is probably one of them, though that might be a problem on my end.

You might have found an error where it tries to send you to a section that doesn't exist (because I've mis-typed something). I've changed it so that, if this happens again, you should get a message telling you that there's an error.

It's an awesome and addicting game, though I wish you could choose a character type instead of having one assigned based on stats.

You can if you choose a pre-generated character.

The beginning could probably use some work too, as I once started as a boat captain even though I was a talking cat with a Seafaring of 1.

It doesn't say you're any good at sailing, just that you do it :smallbiggrin:

Remember that the setting is islands, while most RPGs seem to assume 'one big continent'. If you're a wandering adventurer, you pretty much have to sail.

Jolly Steve
2009-07-11, 11:24 AM
This is not the unspoilered post you're looking for. :smallredface:

I realized I forgot to put spoilers tags quite early, but I couldn't fix it until now. :smallfrown:

Jolly Steve
2009-07-11, 11:26 AM
I was around when you annouced this game a while ago.
well, two announcements ago.

The news that there is now an ending excites me! I shall no longer waster all my crowley shells venturing outside the city and around the city and getting nowhere for my efforts!

Huzzah and jubilation, good sir!
Do we have an estimated time of Total Game Completion?

Thanks! I hope to have it finished in a few months.

Jolly Steve
2009-07-11, 11:27 AM
Post editted, to my sincere satisfaction.

Jolly Steve
2009-07-11, 11:29 AM
So... other than a lot more encounters, what things hadn't been done so you flag this as 'unfinished' ?

Just more encounters. There are 'loose ends', such as items that are supposed to lead to different endings but don't yet.

DrunkMonkGar
2009-07-11, 12:40 PM
You can if you choose a pre-generated character.
Eh, I like being able to set my own stats. It's not a big deal though; I just have an aversion to bards. :smalltongue:

It doesn't say you're any good at sailing, just that you do it :smallbiggrin:

Remember that the setting is islands, while most RPGs seem to assume 'one big continent'. If you're a wandering adventurer, you pretty much have to sail.
Fair enough, I did not know that. Looks like I won't be able to use Seafaring as a dump stat any more. :smallbiggrin:

Jolly Steve
2009-07-11, 01:06 PM
Fair enough, I did not know that. Looks like I won't be able to use Seafaring as a dump stat any more. :smallbiggrin:

My intention was to have no dump stats. Whether I succeeded in that or not I don't know yet.

DrunkMonkGar
2009-07-11, 01:16 PM
It seems to me you've done a pretty good job of that, I just like trying to pick and choose options that play to my characters strengths and rolling with the punches when I can't. Plus, I just didn't envision any of my characters so far as sailors, now I know it's more common than I thought.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-07-11, 03:40 PM
Wow, im a talking cat who appears to be wearing a pimp hat, this game is awesome!

Ganurath
2009-07-11, 03:48 PM
Hey, I found a second happy ending!

...Hey, you have to fail a roll to get it.

Inhuman Bot
2009-07-11, 04:05 PM
I remember when you first made a thread about this. Good times.

*has yet to get the good ending*

Crispy Dave
2009-07-11, 07:33 PM
great another way to waste time.

Jolly Steve
2009-07-11, 11:03 PM
Wow, im a talking cat who appears to be wearing a pimp hat, this game is awesome!

:smallbiggrin:

Jolly Steve
2009-07-11, 11:04 PM
Hey, I found a second happy ending!

...Hey, you have to fail a roll to get it.

This might be a mistake. What happened?

Crispy Dave
2009-07-11, 11:52 PM
Finally got a somewhat decent ending. I got like 4 deaths in a row.

Jolly Steve
2009-07-12, 01:29 AM
Finally got a somewhat decent ending. I got like 4 deaths in a row.

Yep..gamebooks are usually deadlier than face-to-face adventures.

Ganurath
2009-07-12, 01:50 AM
This might be a mistake. What happened?I failed the Heroism roll after curing the frog man. I realized that adventuring like this was suicide, and settled down for a peaceful life in the eagle wish village. Any ending where you live a happy life is a happy ending to me.

Crispy Dave
2009-07-12, 02:30 AM
I failed the Heroism roll after curing the frog man. I realized that adventuring like this was suicide, and settled down for a peaceful life in the eagle wish village. Any ending where you live a happy life is a happy ending to me.

that's what I got too

Jolly Steve
2009-07-12, 06:04 AM
OK - I'd forgotten about that one.

Eldaran
2009-07-12, 08:22 AM
Wow, this game is awesome. I've been wandering around finding so much cool stuff and just barely surviving so many times.

Some of the scenes are so funny, I especially liked this one:

The spider-headed woman is Lolz, goddess of the Dork Elves. The elephant-headed man is Yag-kosha, god of a race of kindly jungle folk. 'By the way, don't bother looking for the pun in my name, there isn't one' he counsels you.

Jolly Steve
2009-07-12, 09:05 AM

Jamin
2009-07-12, 03:57 PM
There are some weird things that make you lose heroism like leaving a boat loses you 3 points

Pie Guy
2009-07-12, 10:28 PM
Through liberal use of the back button, I reached the inside of the Ozymandias pyramids, with eight skills above 20, and 1 heroism.

Good job!

Jolly Steve
2009-07-12, 11:15 PM
There are some weird things that make you lose heroism like leaving a boat loses you 3 points

The idea that avoiding danger now will 'get you into the habit'.

However, the way that attributes work in the game isn't consistent. For example, there are lots of pairs of attributes which overlap in what they do.

I don't see this as a flaw. The 'DM' is a computer program, so players can be sure it's not picking on them and favouring someone else.

You could say that you should be able to predict what attribute's going to be used if you take a particular action. However, this is deliberately not so, because it'd make it too easy to win, and too boring. The encounters happen in an unpredictable order for the same reasons.

Gourtox
2009-07-14, 08:01 AM
I did something, but heroism and everything below it rose to 28. It ws cool, but weird and I think it's a glitch.

EleventhHour
2009-07-14, 08:11 AM
I liked the Wizard sitting on the die picture... it was well drawn.

And the event accompanying it was especially neat!

Jolly Steve
2009-07-14, 10:27 AM
I liked the Wizard sitting on the die picture... it was well drawn.

And the event accompanying it was especially neat!

Thanks! I'll let the artist know you liked it.

Jolly Steve
2009-07-14, 10:48 AM
I did something, but heroism and everything below it rose to 28. It ws cool, but weird and I think it's a glitch.

In the address bar, did it say http://www.ageoffable.net/ , or was it a long address - something like this?

http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/game.php?para=272&carry=1&street=2&square=1&weapon=3&world=!........................................... .................................................. .!................................................ ..........................!....................... .................................................. .................................................. ......&blessings=1111111111111&name=Snorri%20Charis&prof=10&shells=20&maxsta=20&rolls=TANTIIMQPJAB

Boneio
2009-07-15, 04:38 AM

This happened to me too, but I can't recall when or how. I just shrugged and carried on as a super-hero!

(I registered to make this post, just because I think your game is fantastic!)

ufo
2009-07-15, 06:21 AM
Golly, how could I forget about this game?! I had so much fun playing it last time (or was it the first time?) you announced it. I'll definitely be trying it out now that there is an ending :smallbiggrin:

Darklord Bright
2009-07-15, 06:45 AM
So apparently, building myself like a rogueish fighter with decent charisma was a bad move.

Got killed by elves, treehugging lunatics.

Edit: And could someone please explain how this is possible:

Its hooves pierce your heart

Jolly Steve
2009-07-15, 09:31 AM
This happened to me too, but I can't recall when or how. I just shrugged and carried on as a super-hero!

(I registered to make this post, just because I think your game is fantastic!)

Thanks! Do you remember whether the address bar said http://www.ageoffable.net , or was it much longer?

Jolly Steve
2009-07-15, 09:43 AM
Edit: And could someone please explain how this is possible:

:redface: changed it.

Jolly Steve
2009-07-15, 09:50 AM
Golly, how could I forget about this game?! I had so much fun playing it last time (or was it the first time?) you announced it. I'll definitely be trying it out now that there is an ending :smallbiggrin: