PDA

View Full Version : New type of dragon

Dr._Weird
2005-11-12, 11:28 AM
Me and my friend were thinking of designing/drawing some new dragons (He doesn't know much about D&D, and I can't draw worth sh*t ::).). And I thought that this would be a good place to get some input on it. Heres the idea:
Divine Dragons. They draw their power from gods, and get to keep that as long as they keep in the gods service. We are planning on making a dragon for each domain that a god has. That means probably more than one dragon to each domain, and we all know that dragon wars are a surefire way to put most players in awe. What do you think about this? If you think it's a good idea, I could start posting some of the dragons as I make them, though be advised, I don't work very fast compared to some people on this board.

What I'm really worried about is; have they already done this? I have only seen MM1 and MM2, and if they've done this already in MM3 it wouldn't be very original. And I know theres about several hundred other MMs made by other companies under diffrent names.

Bitter_Elf
2005-11-12, 02:31 PM
I'm only really familiar with the core books, but that's definitely not something I've ever heard of. Domain-dragons aren't in the MM3, anyway. Sounds like a great idea to me! Let us know what you come up with.

anime713
2005-11-12, 02:40 PM
You might want to check out the Draconomicon. It has dragon prestige classes similar to what you seem to be describing, and would serve as a good starting point.

Dr._Weird
2005-11-12, 04:27 PM
I'm not using this as a class, just making something like the entries in the MM. Thanks for your support!

anime713
2005-11-12, 04:29 PM
Still, the PrCs might have some abilities that would be interesting... anyway, just an idea. It's hard to make stuff up on your own, and find out how difficult a challenge it will be, should the PCs decide to fight it.

Thomas
2005-11-12, 05:41 PM
The Draconomicon also includes several types of planar dragons - essentially the same thing you described in the "official" D&D cosmology. Several Outer Planes have their own type of dragon, and in some cases these serve as guardians or protectors for the plane. (This is drawn from AD&D Planescape. Mind you, though, the AD&D Avernian rust dragon was specifically not a dragon at all, but a huge version of the rust monster. I guess the D&D crew got confused by the title.)

gaymer_seattle
2005-11-12, 05:43 PM
I'd check the portfolio of the deities and build aspects into the dragon. Ie. A dragon worshiping Nerul might seem descicated and have sharp bones protruding from its flesh. A deity with fire might have a dragon who's wings and tail appear to be made of flames. A dragon of an earth god might no be able to fly, but instead the wings might be set farther forward on the body and be serrated or built or bludgeoning.

Dr._Weird
2005-11-12, 11:15 PM
Right, that's exactly the kind of thing we were thinking of, we've already got a water dragon of Obad-Hai, who has gills, small wings, is very streamlined, and has those little things an angler fish has, but I don't have stats yet.

Artful_Dodger
2005-11-21, 12:49 AM
In some far off place there was a Dragon that detailed something very similar to this, well maybe, my memory for it is pretty shaky. I believe it to be on planar dragons, which is similar to where your goin, but not exactly, hope this is helped.

Yours in Scouting, Artful Dodger

Spuddly
2005-11-21, 01:54 AM
So rather than a dragon who just worships a god (class levels in cleric), the dragon actually has a physiology that represents the domain of the dragon's god.

Would that imply that:
a) the dragon was created with the express purpose to serve the god
or
b) after worshipping the god, the dragon's body was warped

McDeath
2005-11-21, 04:57 AM
Draconomicon is an [i] awesome [/] book. Everything you could possibly need to know about D&D dragons. That should help you creating divine dragons (and it's just fun to read).

Handúrin
2007-02-19, 07:00 PM
i think you should go ahead but also do it for a darker side

mikeejimbo
2007-02-19, 08:18 PM
I think it sounds cool. Also, I think some of the evil gods should have dragons powered by negative energy. (Like undead)

Ivius
2007-02-19, 08:21 PM
Huh. Color me interested. Interesting choice going with domains instead of deities, but probably best, so they can be used in any setting. I truly can't wait to see how this turns out.

jjpickar
2007-02-19, 11:27 PM
Isn't there a Dragon domain? Whats a dragon domain dragon look like? Maybe it just looks like a dragon.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-02-20, 10:19 AM
Dragon Magic has a dragon made out of pure fire, and one that eats magic. Might want to check it out. And post the pictures here if possible.