PDA

View Full Version : P.O.W. 4thed

HMS Invincible
2009-07-09, 01:43 AM
About half the party got captured by the BBEG, and the other half is hiding with the rebels. 3 captured, 3 free. How should I resolve this? The part that got captured was kinda stupid. I am executing one of them for sure to make an example out of her. As for the other two, should I torture them or set up some sort of gladiator style combat to the death? Any ideas before the party gets reunited if at all?

Quietus
2009-07-09, 02:07 AM
Set the three that got captured up so that they're ALL going to be executed as examples. Then create NPCs that will be on their side - other captives, for example, or random schmoes in the crowd. Give those NPCs to the other players, and say "Okay guys, let's see how you go about escaping."

This makes sure those who got captured don't feel like they just got outright murdered for no reason, gives them one final chance to escape. It also ensures the other three PCs have something to do for that adventure.

If they manage to escape, any of the NPCs can become contacts for the party, or new party members if the established PCs die.

warrl
2009-07-09, 02:32 AM
About half the party got captured by the BBEG, and the other half is hiding with the rebels. 3 captured, 3 free. How should I resolve this? The part that got captured was kinda stupid. I am executing one of them for sure to make an example out of her. As for the other two, should I torture them or set up some sort of gladiator style combat to the death? Any ideas before the party gets reunited if at all?

1) Lord Havelock Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, informs us (in "Going Postal") that is important that a man have hope. Make sure the prisoners have opportunities to try to escape.

However, Lord Vetinari is also quite clear that "hope" does not actually mean "any chance of success".

2) It really ought to be possible for the outside party and the rebels to rescue the prisoners. But not easy. I'd play it that any course of action that reasonably could lead them to an opportunity to try, will - but there's a roughly even chance they'll lose a PC (captive or rescuer).

For this to work well, you really have to play the NPCs intelligently. In particular, make DARN sure that everyone gets their turn. In large groups (6 players qualifies) it tends to be easier if someone other than the DM is responsible for tracking initiative; I took over that function in our most recent session and, in spite of having more characters in a round (because the NPCs all, reliably, got their turns), combat seemed to go faster.

I like the idea of setting the prisoners to gladiatorial combat, as a setting where the non-prisoners will attempt to rescue them. If you can't run the two groups in separate rooms, avoid having the PCs battle each other while knowing that rescue is on the way by having an additional bunch of NPC prisoners - it can be a "the last survivor will be freed" thing, then the rescuers show up while there are still multiple survivors. Any NPC survivors can join the PCs in battling the BBEG's troops, if you like - or they can join the BBEG, or run away, or...

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-09, 08:13 AM
1) Lord Havelock Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, informs us (in "Going Postal") that is important that a man have hope. Make sure the prisoners have opportunities to try to escape.

However, Lord Vetinari is also quite clear that "hope" does not actually mean "any chance of success".

He also notes that angels often come to see former prisoners, but something tells me sending an angel to the PCs wouldn't quite work out; escape would be too easy. :smallwink:

You could always pull an Attack of the Clones--three prisoners set up for execution in a gladiatorial arena turn the tables on their captors, and right about when the captors are losing patience and going to just kill them, the rebels attack, having infiltrated the crowd earlier. That would let the 3 PCs fight for a time with the rebels' players taking on 3 NPCs, then let the rebel PCs attack for a while with the captives' players taking on 3 NPCs, and then both groups of PCs can unite and lead the rebels and prisoners out.

Mando Knight
2009-07-09, 11:30 AM
If the players get their act together, set it up so they can do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgvNwec-9bA).