PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dungeons&Deities, A Campaign Idea.

Gnomo
2009-07-09, 02:04 AM
I have this idea for a campaign, but I'm unsure on how to deal with it, it's a very high power campaign and maybe it's going to be too much for me to handle, but given the nature of the concepts it has to be like that, I will proceed to explain:

There is one great god for every living race in existence, each greater god created a race of its own and watches over it zealously. But living creatures are problematic and started to war one another: elves and orcs, dwarves and giants, gnomes and kobolds... they knew of no day without hate, so the greater gods were influenced by the hate of their creations and started to fight one another as well.

Hum, The God of gods wasn't pleased, so he punished the other gods by creating a new living form, one that was promised to rule over all others one day, and called them Humans. This was taken as an offense by all greater gods who saw humans as a weaker race, not fitted to rule the world, they weren't more gracious than elfs, or stronger than the orcs, or sturdier than the dwarves, or bigger than the giants, or smarter than the gnomes, or more ruthless than the kobolds, and so the Persecution began, all races hated humans by command of their gods.

This was expected by Hum, who did one last thing before leaving his home forever, he converted all gods into mortals and sent them into the world for a millennium. At first the gods thought that this was going to be something good, for they could help their beloved races directly guiding them to victory against all their enemies, humans and not. And so, the Age of Descending began, one thousand years of war, in which all races knew hate... all except humans who knew only fear.

Two hundred years have passed since the beginning of the Age of Ascension, when the surviving gods and the new ones left the world and went to their own planes to find out that Hum was no longer. Humans are still hated, but their incredible fortifications keep them safe from the weakened races, and with this their reign manifests.

Ok, so what's the campaign about? The players will be human demigods, they are in fact Hum's children, who also convert himself into a human, then had a handful of children and then disappear. The PCs know each other since they were born and they know they are siblings, players can choose the age they want for their character but it's recommended that they are young. The PCs lived hidden in a secret temple until now, cause a powerful wizard find out who they were and where they were, he wants their divine power for himself. Still don't know how to create this NPCs, but I'm thinking of a Gray Elf Wizard/Beguiler/UltimateMagus, this BBEG is very resourceful and has a guild at his disposal, so the PCs will have to escape their persecutors for the first part of the campaign.

What are the mechanics? This is the hard part, I know that adding divine powers to the game will mess up the CR and the balance, mi idea is that all PCs have Divine Rank 0, and they can choose to take a Divine Rank instead of a class level which will give them a +1 LA, with the condition that they cannot have more Divine Ranks than Character Levels. They are starting the game as 4th level characters, so they can have 2 divine ranks as maximum.

Those are the questions I have at the moment: Should they have access to Salient Divine Abilities? Should I restrict the use of their Domain spells? Should I tone down the Damage Reduction and Spell Resistance and if I do how much?

For example I was thinking of using:
DR of 5 + Divine Rank / Epic.
Spell Resistance of 15 + Divine Rank.
Access to their Domain spells as spell like abilities once per day per every Divine Rank.
Access to them if they have the same level of the spell (for example a PC with 2 Divine Ranks can use it's 1st level and 2nd level spells from it's domains as spell like abilities 2 times per day).
PCs do not add their charisma to their AC as deflection bonus.
Gain a sacred bonus to AC equal to their Divine Rank.
Do not gain access to Salient Divine Abilities.
Do gain a sacred bonus to all checks and rolls equal to their Divine Rank.
Do gain full hit die hp.
Gain 5 points of one elemental resistance per Divine Rank.
Gain 10 ft of land speed.
Immune to Death Effects (magical or not), but can be affected by any other effect.
They do not age unless they want to.
Do not have any sensing ability.

The players have to make their own portfolio and select domains, create some if they want to. The idea is that they all play humans for the stigma of belonging to this race and their relation to the god Hum, but if they want to play something else they are free to go, but non humans characters are going to start somewhere else and are (of course) not going to be siblings with the humans demigods.

I know I'm just opening a big fat can of worms, a lot can go wrong, but I just can't grasp the problem exactly and I really want to do this campaign, I need help with the numbers and with house rules to avoid major cheesery.

Quietus
2009-07-09, 02:12 AM
Determine how divinity works in your game.

If the gods created the first races, then I'd assume they exist without the absolute need for worship; That doesn't mean they don't get stronger with it, however.

Let the PCs advance normally, retain their divine rank 0, and if they want more, let them use whatever process exists in your world to obtain greater divinity. If you gain power as a God by being worshipped, then they need to gain worshippers - which means epic quests to prove themselves worthy of worship. If they have to defeat other godlings and absorb their power, then place NPCs, known or otherwise, among the other races - or possibly even among the humans, depending on the feel you want to go for.

This means the players can advance by character level as the direct result of their adventuring, and can gain divine rank as what amounts to quest rewards.

ArlEammon
2009-07-09, 02:20 AM
I have this idea for a campaign, but I'm unsure on how to deal with it, it's a very high power campaign and maybe it's going to be too much for me to handle, but given the nature of the concepts it has to be like that, I will proceed to explain:

There is one great god for every living race in existence, each greater god created a race of its own and watches over it zealously. But living creatures are problematic and started to war one another: elves and orcs, dwarves and giants, gnomes and kobolds... they knew of no day without hate, so the greater gods were influenced by the hate of their creations and started to fight one another as well.

Hum, The God of gods wasn't pleased, so he punished the other gods by creating a new living form, one that was promised to rule over all others one day, and called them Humans. This was taken as an offense by all greater gods who saw humans as a weaker race, not fitted to rule the world, they weren't more gracious than elfs, or stronger than the orcs, or sturdier than the dwarves, or bigger than the giants, or smarter than the gnomes, or more ruthless than the kobolds, and so the Persecution began, all races hated humans by command of their gods.

This was expected by Hum, who did one last thing before leaving his home forever, he converted all gods into mortals and sent them into the world for a millennium. At first the gods thought that this was going to be something good, for they could help their beloved races directly guiding them to victory against all their enemies, humans and not. And so, the Age of Descending began, one thousand years of war, in which all races knew hate... all except humans who knew only fear.

Two hundred years have passed since the beginning of the Age of Ascension, when the surviving gods and the new ones left the world and went to their own planes to find out that Hum was no longer. Humans are still hated, but their incredible fortifications keep them safe from the weakened races, and with this their reign manifests.

Ok, so what's the campaign about? The players will be human demigods, they are in fact Hum's children, who also convert himself into a human, then had a handful of children and then disappear. The PCs know each other since they were born and they know they are siblings, players can choose the age they want for their character but it's recommended that they are young. The PCs lived hidden in a secret temple until now, cause a powerful wizard find out who they were and where they were, he wants their divine power for himself. Still don't know how to create this NPCs, but I'm thinking of a Gray Elf Wizard/Beguiler/UltimateMagus, this BBEG is very resourceful and has a guild at his disposal, so the PCs will have to escape their persecutors for the first part of the campaign.

What are the mechanics? This is the hard part, I know that adding divine powers to the game will mess up the CR and the balance, mi idea is that all PCs have Divine Rank 0, and they can choose to take a Divine Rank instead of a class level which will give them a +1 LA, with the condition that they cannot have more Divine Ranks than Character Levels. They are starting the game as 4th level characters, so they can have 2 divine ranks as maximum.

Those are the questions I have at the moment: Should they have access to Salient Divine Abilities? Should I restrict the use of their Domain spells? Should I tone down the Damage Reduction and Spell Resistance and if I do how much?

Access to their Domain spells as spell like abilities once per day per every Divine Rank.
Access to them if they have the same level of the spell (for example a PC with 2 Divine Ranks can use it's 1st level and 2nd level spells from it's domains as spell like abilities 2 times per day).
Do gain full hit die hp.
Immune to Death Effects (magical or not), but can be affected by any other effect.

The players have to make their own portfolio and select domains, create some if they want to. The idea is that they all play humans for the stigma of belonging to this race and their relation to the god Hum, but if they want to play something else they are free to go, but non humans characters are going to start somewhere else and are (of course) not going to be siblings with the humans demigods.

I know I'm just opening a big fat can of worms, a lot can go wrong, but I just can't grasp the problem exactly and I really want to do this campaign, I need help with the numbers and with house rules to avoid major cheesery.

How about not having divine ranks? Think about it. . . Miko mentioned being a samurai, but she didn't have the samurai class. She had the paladin class. The PCs can simply have free feats and higher stats that give them high level adjustments. . . (And also alot of free supernatural abilities)

Hat-Trick
2009-07-09, 04:08 AM
Keep them at their CR from levels until you have a feel for how powerful they are and then adjust encounters to that.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-09, 08:05 AM
The PCs can simply have free feats and higher stats that give them high level adjustments. . . (And also alot of free supernatural abilities)

That's basically what divine ranks are--a bunch of bonuses, some sensory abilities, some immunities, and one somewhat-impressive ability per rank.

bosssmiley
2009-07-09, 08:10 AM
Why not use Exalted or Scion for this campaign, rather than D&D3? That kind of high-power "the blood of titans flows in my veins" scale is what they're actually set up for.

Why use a screwdriver to cut steak?

That said: DiceFreaks divine rank rules (http://dicefreaks.forumz.cc/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19) - a serious attempt to integrate Core, Epic and DvR so they actually work together. Their suggested CR modifier for DvR:0 is +3... :smallconfused:

dragonfan6490
2009-07-09, 11:44 AM
If they have to defeat other godlings and absorb their power, then place NPCs, known or otherwise, among the other races - or possibly even among the humans, depending on the feel you want to go for.

There can be only one!

Quietus
2009-07-09, 11:56 AM
There can be only one!

Hah, yeah - I thought the same thing while I was writing that. But it would certainly make for an interesting situation... deific politics would have to involve methods for preventing the most vile of deities from eating the others and absorbing their power. Could also be a fantastic plot hook, when a bunch of clerics go "Hey, what happened to my powers?"

Gnomo
2009-07-09, 04:45 PM
Quietus, the point on worshiping is good, I think the need for worshipers will be an important factor on the roleplaying department if I put it on the table. Thus if a character disregards its own portfolio or acts against the alignment that he represents he will lose some power by losing worshipers, good idea! Still I don't want to take part (as a DM) in the creation of the character, thus I don't plan on giving powers to the characters, instead I want them to choose everything by themselves: Divine Ranks, Portfolio, Domains, Alignment, etc. And this is the reason that I want to relate it to class levels, that's why I want to make the player to choose between a class level or a divine rank, to make him choose everything, and I won't have anything to do with it.

I don't want the campaign to go all highlandery, at least in the beginning, maybe later that would be a good idea. When the players have given character to their characters.

I won't be using other RPG than D&D 3.5 for two reasons:
1.- I don't want to buy more books.
2.- My players and I already know the 3.5 rules and don't want to bother ourself learning a new system.

I read DiceFreak stuff, looks interesting and I think I will adopt some of that.

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-09, 05:28 PM
I have to agree with bosssmiley. There are other systems out there that model this sort of thing much more elegantly (and fun-ly). Many D&D players don't feel comfortable trying new systems, but it can be very rewarding to learn a new one and see what they can do. Don't feel that a single system should have to model everything. Heck, you may even find that another system has elements you can port back into your 3.5 games and create something of a homebrew melange.

You can still use the exact same campaign world, the exact same premises, the same NPCS, everything. The only thing that will change is the numbers, which are really only there to facilitate the roleplay anyway.

Said much more eloquently by a much more experienced man: Rules Influence Style (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/54/rules-influence-style/) Try Something New (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/97/try-something-new-the-indie-exploration-kit/)

Cost is a reasonable concern though. There are ways of mitigating book costs, though, especially on a trial basis.

obnoxious
sig

quick_comment
2009-07-09, 05:46 PM
1 Divine rank is definitely far more valuable than a single class level.

Consider this: Once a single character gets 29 charisma, the game is over. Why? Because at that point he can get the alter reality SDA, and has super-wish at will.

The characters can get automatic metamagic(persist) and persist all their spells. They can do this at level 1.

They can get true ressuerction at will at level 1 (gift of life SDA).

They can also, at level 1, get hand of death. At level 1 thats DC 20+cha mod, or die. 10d6 damage on a successful save.

And so on. Divine ranks >>> class levels, even wizard levels.

Gnomo
2009-07-09, 07:14 PM
1 Divine rank is definitely far more valuable than a single class level.

Consider this: Once a single character gets 29 charisma, the game is over. Why? Because at that point he can get the alter reality SDA, and has super-wish at will.

The characters can get automatic metamagic(persist) and persist all their spells. They can do this at level 1.

They can get true ressuerction at will at level 1 (gift of life SDA).

They can also, at level 1, get hand of death. At level 1 thats DC 20+cha mod, or die. 10d6 damage on a successful save.

And so on. Divine ranks >>> class levels, even wizard levels.
That's why I'm not giving them access to SDAs, did you even read my OP?

The good thing is that now I'm sure about this, thx :smallwink:.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-09, 07:58 PM
Do gain full hit die hp.

The fluff is good. Using these abilities, you've essentially created some tougher than average to kill PCs or PCs of LA+X where X is what 5 or more. Like someone else posted, you'll have to get a feel of what is appropriate for them to encounter.

The other question is when/how do they get to become "real" gods?

Yakk
2009-07-09, 08:21 PM
I spent too much time on this. I hope you like it.

Demigod:

Demigod is a Gestalt-only class. When you Gestalt demigod, your HP per HD is maximized.

| Spells
| 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 Minor Feature | 1 - - - - - - - - -
2 DR 1/- | 1 1 - - - - - - - -
3 Minor Feature | 2 1 - - - - - - - -
4 DR 2/- | 2 1 1 - - - - - - -
5 Minor Feature | 2 2 1 - - - - - - -
6 DR 3/- | 2 2 1 1 - - - - - -
7 Lesser Feature | 2 2 2 1 - - - - - -
8 DR 4/-, Divine Skin | 2 2 2 1 1 - - - - -
9 Lesser Feature | 2 2 2 2 1 - - - - -
10 DR 6/- | 2 2 2 2 1 1 - - - -
11 Lesser Feature | 2 2 2 2 2 1 - - - -
12 DR 8/- | 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 - - -
13 Feature | 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 - - -
14 DR 10/-, Rebirth | 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 - -
15 Feature | 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 - -
16 DR 13/- | 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 -
17 Feature | 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 -
18 DR 16/- | 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 1
19 Greater Feature | 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1
20 DR 20/-, Ascendence | 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2

Divine Immunity:
You are immune to Death spells and such effects, and your Divine nature cannot be detected by magic.

Divine Armor:
Gain a Sacred bonus to your AC equal to 1/2 your Demigod level, rounded up.
Gain an Enhancement bonus to your Saves equal to 1/2 your Demigod level, rounded down.
Gain Spell Resistance 10+Demigod level.

Spellcasting:
At level 1, pick 2 domains. You know the cleric spells of those domains at the level where you can cast a spell of that level as a Demigod. You spontaneously cast these spells. Your caster stat is whatever stat you have that is highest. Gain the features that clerics gain from their Domains.

For 0 level spells, have access to all 0 level cleric spells (as domains don't have 0 level spells).

Divine Skin: Gain temporary HP equal to your Demigod level at the start of each of your turns.
Rebirth: When you die, your body (and all you posses at the time of death) is consumed in divine fire. You then recorperate somewhere nearby within 24 hours. Someone can cast a raise dead spell, and you can choose to respond to it, even if your body isn't present.
Ascendence: You now know what task or quest you must complete in order to Gain Divine Rank 0.

Divine Features:
At odd levels you gain a Divine Feature. The first 3 Features you gain are Minor, the next 3 are Lesser, and the level 19 feature is a Greater Feature.

You may replace one single Divine Feature with another of the same tier whenever you gain a level in Demigod. You cannot gain the same Feature twice.

All effects are (Su) and (Divine), and bonuses are Sacred, unless otherwise noted.

Divine Features cannot be suppressed by non-Divine antimagic fields and the like.

Minor Features:
Godspeed: Gain +10 ft to all of your movement modes.
Endure: Gain 5 points of resistance against all elements, and 10 against one of your choice.
Empower: You now have 1 point of Empowerment capacity. Empowerment can be used to fuel the spontaneous application of metamagic feats. Recovering an Empowerment point takes a standard action once spent.
Paragon: Gain a +1 enhancement bonus to all stats.
Sense: Gain blindsense 30' and blindsight 10'.
Resist: Increase your Spell Resistance by 5.
Withstand: Become immune to Fear and Fatigue. Stand as a move action without provoking AoOs.
Fight: Gain a +2 feat bonus to all attack roles that usually (without feats) provoke an OA. Gain a dodge bonus to your AC equal to your Demigod level against OAs provoked by such attacks.

Lesser Features:
Avoid: When you would usually take half damage from a spell that you save against, instead take none. If you already have such an effect (such as Evasion), take only half damage when you fail the save.
Obscure: You, and all allies within 5' per Demigod level, are now under the effects of Mind Blank, unless the source of the effect is within 100'-(5' per Demigod level) of the Mind Blank recipient.
Know: Gain blindsight 50' and blindsense 100'
Archtype: Gain a +2 enhancement bonus to all stats.
Embrace: Gain 10 points of resistance against all elements. Pick an element type: you are immune to damage of that element type.
Entitle: You now have 3 points of Empowerment capacity. See Empower.
Step: Once per round, on your turn, you may teleport 10' as a free action. You must have line of sight to your destination.
Learn: Gain a +5 bonus to all skills.
Strike: Once per turn, gain a bonus equal to 1/2 your Demigod Level to one attack roll.

Features:
Apotheosis: Gain a +4 enhancement bonus to all stats.
See: Gain blindsight 200'. You are immune to Deafening, Blindness, and gain a bonus to initiative checks equal to 1/2 your Demigod class level.
Encompass: Gain 20 points of resistance to all elements. Pick an element type: 3 times per day, when you take damage from that element type, you instead heal that much damage. When you don't heal damage from that element, you are immune to damage from that element.
Predict: At the start of each of your turns, roll a d20. You may substitute that d20 for any d20 roll made before the end of your turn.
Enfranchise: You how have 6 points of Empowerment Capacity. See Empower.
Move: Gain Fly/Perfect as a movement mode, with a speed equal to the greatest of your other movement modes.
Perfect: Pick a skill. You can take 20 whenever you use that skill without taking extra time, and gain both a +10 enhancement and sacred bonus when you use that skill.
Defend: Once per turn, when an attack, spell or effect that you would be a legal target for targets another, you may take the place of that other target. You are now the target of the attack, spell or effect, and they are not.
Ignore: You are immune to being Dazed, Stunned, Sickend, Nausiated, Petrified and Paralyzed. Select a save. You always succeed on save rolls with that save.
Exceed: Gain a +10 bonus to all attribute checks that are not attack rolls.

Greater Features:
Persist: Gain regeneration 30. At the end of your turn, remove one condition that is on you.
Slay: Against a target with fewer HP than you currently have, your attack rolls are automatically 20s.
Riposte: As a free action, you may send any attack, spell or effect that misses you, is resisted by your spell resistance, or you save against back on it's originator.
Subsume: At the beginning of your turn, select an element type. Until the start of your next turn, all damage from that element heals you instead of damaging you. Gain resist 40 to all other elemental damage.
Walk: Become Incorperal as a free action, or recorperate, on your turn. Use Planar Travel version of Gate as an at-will standard action. Use Etherealness as a spell like ability at-will.
Warp: Whenever you roll a d20, instead roll two. Select one as your roll.
Enable: You now have 10 points of Empowerment Capacity. Regain 1d4 of these points at the start of each of your turns. See Empower.
View: Use any Divination Wizard spell as an at-will spell-like ability.
Epitome: Gain a +8 enhancement bonus to all stats.

Random832
2009-07-09, 08:42 PM
How about you can also cast the domain spells spontaneously from any divine spell slots you get via other classes?

"Divine features" seems redundant with salient divine abilities, doesn't it? And do the characters get any divine rank?

Quietus
2009-07-09, 08:54 PM
Quietus, the point on worshiping is good, I think the need for worshipers will be an important factor on the roleplaying department if I put it on the table. Thus if a character disregards its own portfolio or acts against the alignment that he represents he will lose some power by losing worshipers, good idea! Still I don't want to take part (as a DM) in the creation of the character, thus I don't plan on giving powers to the characters, instead I want them to choose everything by themselves: Divine Ranks, Portfolio, Domains, Alignment, etc. And this is the reason that I want to relate it to class levels, that's why I want to make the player to choose between a class level or a divine rank, to make him choose everything, and I won't have anything to do with it.

I don't want the campaign to go all highlandery, at least in the beginning, maybe later that would be a good idea. When the players have given character to their characters.

I won't be using other RPG than D&D 3.5 for two reasons:
1.- I don't want to buy more books.
2.- My players and I already know the 3.5 rules and don't want to bother ourself learning a new system.

I read DiceFreak stuff, looks interesting and I think I will adopt some of that.

The only choice you'd be making, as a DM, is when to give them a greater Divine Rank. Personally, I'd say make each player lay out their portfolios, and any time they complete a significant quest related to them, grant DvR+1 as part of the quest reward - fluff-wise, this would be the result of people seeing the works of the PCs, and thus they gained more worshippers.

brujon
2009-07-09, 08:59 PM
Where do i sign up to play in this? Please tell me you're going to play by the internet =(

That being said, i think i liked the idea of a gestalt game where you advance in a "demigod" class simultaneously with your other classes better than the built-in system of Divine Ranks(for that level of play). I think you should use that system and then eliminate the Divine Rank 0 altogheter. Players get Divine Rank 1 when they hit 20 and then they play as per the normal godhood system. Worshippers get them more Divine Ranks, if they kill a god they can absorb his portfolio/divine ranks, etc... That way, when they ascend to "true" godhood, they will have a substantial boost in power. Maybe also let them retrain all 20 levels in their demigod class in another class of their choosing that has to do with one of their portfolios when they ascend.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-09, 09:00 PM
I spent too much time on this. I hope you like it
<snip>
Well I like it. Nice work.

Gnomo
2009-07-09, 11:53 PM
Double post, very sorry.

Gnomo
2009-07-09, 11:54 PM
Lo siento Brujon, but I will play this with some friends and not online.

Yakk, I will tell you only one thing: Awesome Idea.

Still is too powerful for my taste, but I can work with that and tone it down... even so I don't want to give the players static godly features, so I will convert everything into Godly Features (even DR, Divine Skin and Rebirth), the design of this reminds me of the Fighter class, but instead of fighter bonus feats they will get godly features.

I'm thinking of this:
{table=head]Demigod| Special | - Spells per day -[/table]
{table=head]Level|Features|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9
1st | Godly feature |1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
2nd | Godly feature |2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
3rd | Godly feature |2|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
4th | Godly feature |2|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
5th | Godly feature |2|2|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
6th | Godly feature |3|2|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-
7th | Godly feature |3|3|2|2|-|-|-|-|-|-
8th | Godly feature |3|3|2|2|1|-|-|-|-|-
9th | Godly feature |3|3|3|2|2|-|-|-|-|-
10th | Godly feature |3|3|3|2|2|1|-|-|-|-
11th | Godly feature |3|3|3|3|2|2|-|-|-|-
12th | Godly feature |3|3|3|3|2|2|1|-|-|-
13th | Godly feature |3|3|3|3|3|2|2|-|-|-
14th | Godly feature |3|3|3|3|3|2|2|1|-|-
15th | Godly feature |4|3|3|3|3|3|2|2|-|-
16th | Godly feature |4|4|3|3|3|3|2|2|1|-
17th | Godly feature |4|4|3|3|3|3|3|2|2|-
18th | Godly feature |4|4|4|3|3|3|3|2|2|1
19th | Godly feature |4|4|4|3|3|3|3|3|2|2
20th | Godly feature |4|4|4|4|3|3|3|3|2|2[/table]
{table=head]21th *| *Ascendence* | *Ascendence*[/table]
The spells are taken from their chosen domains and casted as sorcerers.

Onto the godly features:
Resilience: Gain DR 3 / Epic or increase by 3 an existing DR with the same characteristics (can be taken up to 4 times).
Godspeed: Gain a +10 ft enhancement bonus to one of your movement modes (can be taken up to 3 times).
Endure: Gain 10 points of resistance against one element (can be taken any number of times, it stacks).
Sense: Gain blindsense 20' (can be taken up to 3 times, it stacks).
Sight: Gain blindsight 10'. Requires blindsense with a greater range. (can be taken up to 3 times, it stacks).
Negate: Gain Spell Resistance equal to 3 + class level (can be taken up to 6 times, each additional time the SR increases by 3)
Endure: Become immune to Fatigue, Exhaustion, Diseases and the ill effects of harsh environmental conditions.
Fight: Gain a +1 sacred bonus to all attack and damage rolls (can be taken up to 3 times).
Defend: Gain a +2 sacred bonus to your AC (can be taken up to 3 times).
Resist: Gain a +1 sacred bonus to your saving throws (can be taken up to 3 times).
Skill: Gain a +3 sacred bonus to one skill, can take 10 in checks of that skill even under stressful situations (can be taken up to once per skill).
Ability: Gain a +1 sacred bonus to one characteristic (can be taken up to one time per characteristic).
Step: Once per round, on your turn, you may teleport 10' as a swift action (can be taken up to 6 times, every additional time increases the teleportation distance by 10 ft).
Predict: Once per turn you can roll two d20 on one roll and choose the best result of the two.
Consistent: Gain immunity against polymorphing, petrification and any effects that alter the shape. The character can choose to be affected by any of this effects at will if he so desires.
Strongwilled: Gain immunity against Mind Affecting effects.
Vital: Gain immunity against death effects (magical or not), a death effect is any effect that kills a character regardless of its hit points.
Unaffected: Gain immunity against energy drain, ability drain and ability damage.
Lively: Gain feast healing 1 (can be taken up to 4 times, the second time it grants fast healing 3, the third time it grants fast healing 6 and the fourth time it grants fast healing 10).
Withstand: Gain the Stability racial trait and a +4 sacred bonus to AC when provoking attacks of opportunity.
Overpower: Gain the Powerful Build racial trait.

Ascendence: You now know what task or quest you must complete in order to Gain Divine Rank 1.

I think this is more or less what i wanted, thx a lot, any other suggestion?

Gnomo
2009-07-10, 02:22 PM
No more input?

Yakk
2009-07-10, 09:21 PM
I like some of your Godlike features.

But others of them will break D&D. For example, taking the DR ability from level 1 to level 4. You are now a level 4 character with DR 12/epic. Or a character with fast healing 10 at level 4.

Others become very questionable to take -- your blindsight/sense tree is 6 features deep, and gives 60' blindsense and 30' blindsight. Compared to other paths...

I can point out a few things I did with my Demigod gestalt class that might also be of use:
1> At each level, you either get a Divine Feature, or a new spell level. This makes progression 'more smooth'.
2> On new spell levels, you also get a DR */- upgrade.
3> Levels where the 'step size' of the DR */- is getting rather old also come with an extra free toy.
4> All of the DR */- makes "many hits for small damage" overly weak. Divine Skin is an attempt to move more durability into "single hard hit" soak.
5> By breaking the features into tiers, I had fewer features I had to balance off against each other.
6> Upgrading an old feature doesn't require keeping the lower level feature around. The retraining means that if you want to be immune to elemental damage, when you get a new demigod tier, you get to swap out the old one for a new toy.

A number of my features need resmithing. I'm thinking that the elemental ones need more of "not only am I immune to elements, when I take elemental damage I get to throw it back at you" thing.

I intended to add "extra domain" features to my list, but forgot.

The "Paragon" line is highly sensitive to how commonly you hand out magic items. 3e's treasure curve is a bit borken, but I tried to make it a tempting alternative to loading up with +stat gear, especially for MAD classes.

Another downside to my design is that lots of the 'cool' stuff is high level only. And most D&D campaigns fizzle out faster than that. So you never get to see a power-attacking scythe wielding PC use 'slay'.

Gnomo
2009-07-11, 01:22 PM
Ok, what about this:

Divine abilities: Godly features are divine in nature, so they can replicate spell effects but are not subject to the limitations of spell-like or supernatural abilities, such as being negated by an antimagic field.

Domain (dv): At first demigod level the character must choose one cleric domain, by having access to a domain the character has access to its domain power as if he is a cleric of level equal to his demigod level. The demigod has a number of divine spell points equal to his character level plus his charisma modifier (if any), he can use those points to cast spell-like abilities drawn from the domain the demigod has access to spending one point per spell level cast. The maximum spell level the demigod can cast in this manner is equal to half his demigod level.

Godly Features (dv): A character with access to the demigod gestalt progression gain 1 godly feature per level, and unless noted, all Godly Features are always active, those that require activation are properly noted. Many godly features can be taken several times, a character can only take a second time a godly feature at 3rd level, and a next time every 3 levels thereafter, for example to take a godly feature a third time the character would have to be at least of 6th level.

Domain: Gain access to a new domain, to the domain granted power and the spells available to be used as spell like abilities (can be taken up to 2 times).
Resilience: Gain DR 2 / Epic or increase by 2 an existing DR with the same characteristics (can be taken any number of times).
Godspeed: Gain a +10 ft enhancement bonus to one of your movement modes (can be taken up to 6 times).
Endure: Gain 10 points of resistance against one element (can be taken any number of times, it stacks).
Sense: Gain blindsense 20' (can be taken up to 2 times, the second time the range increases to 60').
Sight: Gain blindsight 10'. Requires blindsense with a greater range. (can be taken any number of times, it stacks).
Negate: Gain Spell Resistance equal to 5 + class level (can be taken any number of times, each additional time the SR increases by 3)
Endure: Become immune to Fatigue, Exhaustion, Diseases and the ill effects of harsh environmental conditions.
Fight: Gain a +1 sacred bonus to all attack and damage rolls (can be taken up to 4 times).
Defend: Gain a +2 sacred bonus to your AC (can be taken up to 5 times).
Resist: Gain a +1 sacred bonus to your saving throws (can be taken up to 5 times).
Skill: Gain a +3 sacred bonus to one skill, can take 10 in checks of that skill even under stressful situations (can be taken up to once per skill).
Ability: Gain a +1 sacred bonus to one characteristic (can be taken up to one time per characteristic).
Step: Once per round, on your turn, you may teleport 10' as a swift action (can be taken up to 4 times, the second time the distance increases to 30', the third time to 60' and the fourth time to 100').
Predict: Once per turn you can roll two d20 on one roll and choose the best result of the two.
Consistent: Gain immunity against polymorphing, petrification and any effects that alter the shape. The character can choose to be affected by any of this effects at will if he so desires.
Strongwilled: Gain immunity against Mind Affecting effects.
Vital: Gain immunity against death effects (magical or not), a death effect is any effect that kills a character regardless of its hit points.
Unaffected: Gain immunity against energy drain, ability drain and ability damage.
Lively: Gain feast healing 1 (can be taken up to 4 times, the second time it grants fast healing 2, the third time it grants fast healing 6 and the fourth time it grants fast healing 10).
Withstand: Gain the Stability racial trait and a +4 sacred bonus to AC when provoking attacks of opportunity.
Overpower: Gain the Powerful Build racial trait.

Now everything is broken into godly features, and the player build the demigod completely on his own, which is pretty much what I wanted. So, are the new godly features balanced? What do you think?

I know Domain is a bit more powerful than the rest, cause that's how is supposed to be, but by making the players to take them instead of other features will make them value it more, at least that's what I expect.