PDA

View Full Version : InFamous vs. Prototype vs. Heavenly Sword (AKA The Showdown of All Time)

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-09, 07:22 AM
So, which one should I buy for my PS 3 as her anniversary present?

An early anniversary present, but still...

((This wasn't what you were expecting, was it?))

Anteros
2009-07-09, 07:24 AM
Well, both infamous and prototype are much better games than heavenly sword according to most people. Why not just try renting them to see which you like?

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-09, 07:25 AM
Well, both infamous and prototype are much better games than heavenly sword according to most people. Why not just try renting them to see which you like?

No renting policy, mostly.

Heavenly Sword had an awesome demo, and it's bound to be cheaper than the others. That's why I included it.

Smight
2009-07-09, 07:29 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/789-Prototype

and the winner is:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/6228-Yahtzees-Prototype-vs-InFamous-Challenge

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-09, 07:31 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/789-Prototype

But that's Yahtzee. Obviously the review is going to be utterly useless.

Dristin
2009-07-09, 07:48 AM
I have InFamous and Heavenly Sword. HS is fun but in my opinion InFamous is a better game. I have had HS since it came out and it was good but not great. I have been on the last boss for as long as it has been out and can not bring myself to go back and beat it. I have been playing InFamous since it came out and I have a feeling I will be playing through it at least twice to go through both the good and evil. Not for the story but just to experience the other powers. The story is good so far. I would recommend it over HS. I can not speak for Prototype but I heard if you liked the Hulk that was made by the same company you will like Prototype.

Pie Guy
2009-07-09, 08:12 AM
I only have a 360, so I can't say anything about the other games, but Prototype is fun.

onasuma
2009-07-09, 08:15 AM
InFamous must be the better game. Buy InFamous. Prototype's still good, though. Buy it as well.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-09, 08:17 AM
InFamous must be the better game. Buy InFamous. Prototype's still good, though. Buy it as well.

Quoting Yahtzee will not help you there, little one.

onasuma
2009-07-09, 08:18 AM
We both wear trilby's. Yatzee is therefore effectivly a brother to me.

Optimystik
2009-07-09, 09:41 AM
But that's Yahtzee. Obviously the review is going to be utterly useless.

The trick to a Yahtzee review isn't going by the conclusion (he concludes all games are awful on purpose) but actually paying attention to the points he raises. Prototype has the better sandbox, and InFamous has the better storyline, so pick what matters more to you.

Call me a fanboy if you like, but he's a lot more honest in that regard than the so-called "reviewers" at more mainstream gaming sites.

Oh, and Heavenly Sword is crap.

Oregano
2009-07-09, 10:02 AM
Well I only have Prototype out of the three and I can say it's awesome and I've also heard a lot of great stuff about Infamous. Heavenly Sword... not so much.

I don't like Yahtzee's reviews at all either, even though I know he concentrates on the negative.

13_CBS
2009-07-09, 10:50 AM

But...but...Gollum is an evil overlord! :smallfrown:

Burley
2009-07-09, 11:47 AM
The trick to a Yahtzee review isn't going by the conclusion (he concludes all games are awful on purpose) but actually paying attention to the points he raises. Prototype has the better sandbox, and InFamous has the better storyline, so pick what matters more to you.

Whowhat? No, Prototype does not have a better sandbox, it has a larger sandbox. Prototypes buildings have flat walls with window painted on. Running up a wall is unaffected by windows or other obstructions.
Infamous, however, requires that you jump, grab a window, pull yourself up, jump to a drain pipe, climb it, jump to a roof ledge and pull yourself up. The platforming is, for the most part, realistic, because he was climbing buildings before he was shooting sparks.
Also, in Prototype, when you are running, you automatically jump over cars. This wierd flip thing...
In InFamous, you run up to a car, stop... suck the juice out of it, use it for cover, shockwave it into enemies knocking them down, and then blow it up on top of them.

Basically, Prototype is an action/platforming game, while InFamous is a platformer/action game. It depends on what you wanna focus on. Personally, I think combat in Infamous is better, but I get told off on that point a lot.

(Keep in mind, I hate super violent games. I don't like blood or gore and I hate guns. I checked out Prototype so I could make an informed opinion. Infamous is Teen rated, and just feels like a better game over all. It wins in my book.)

Heavenly Sword is bad like Hideous Blow.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-09, 11:49 AM
Ah, that's great, Burley! Thank you for your contributions!

Prototype it is!

((Mostly because I already have more platformer-style games than I know what to do with.))

Jibar
2009-07-09, 11:56 AM
But...but...Gollum is an evil overlord! :smallfrown:

Giant Gorilla > Evil Overlord.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-09, 11:57 AM

Giant Gorilla? Where?

Oh, you mean King Kong?

Damn you and your lack of Let's Play FO2 updates.

13_CBS
2009-07-09, 12:52 PM

:smallconfused: You lost me. Andy Serkis was the voice actor for a giant gorilla?

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-09, 01:41 PM
:smallconfused: You lost me. Andy Serkis was the voice actor for a giant gorilla?

No, he was the motion capture actor for King Kong.

13_CBS
2009-07-09, 02:06 PM
Oh.

Still, Andy Serkis is the voice actor for the comedic evil overlord in Heavenly Sword (plus the story was written by Rhianna Pratchett, daughter of Terry Pratchett).

I played the demo before, and it was pretty entertaining. Not sandboxy like the other two, though, it's much more like God of War.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-09, 02:29 PM

Prototype it is!

((Mostly because I already have more platformer-style games than I know what to do with.))

You made the right choice, and may your upheaved air conditioning units always fly true.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-09, 04:05 PM
By the way, do you get to slash people with the bioorganic hand blade?

Because bioorganic hand blades are awesome.

13_CBS
2009-07-09, 04:06 PM
You get to slice people up with a pair of bio-organic set of claws OR a big bio-organic blade. Your choice.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-09, 04:08 PM
You get to slice people up with a pair of bio-organic set of claws OR a big bio-organic blade. Your choice.

Big bioorganic blade.

Obviously.

Why would you choose bioorganic anything else over a bioorganic blade?

Pie Guy
2009-07-09, 04:16 PM
A supremely broken bioorganic whip that cuts people in half?

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-09, 04:28 PM
A supremely broken bioorganic whip that cuts people in half?

A bioorganic whip is not nearly as cool as a bioorganic blade, silly.

Pie Guy
2009-07-09, 05:13 PM
Maybe, but if you find a shipping container, you can grab people through it with the whip (maybe only on 360).

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-09, 06:13 PM
Maybe, but if you find a shipping container, you can grab people through it with the whip (maybe only on 360).

Probably on PS3 too, but a bioorganic blade.

Bonus points if it looks anything at all like this one (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/xph_gallery/33207.jpg) (not bioorganic, but you get the idea).

Burley
2009-07-10, 08:42 AM

Prototype it is!

:smallfrown: This was not my intent. But, enjoy. They'll both make you happy.
And... Get Infamous some day. It is superior. (If you have a GameStop near you, you can buy it used and return it within 7 days for a full refund. It's like renting, but you get the money back.)

valadil
2009-07-10, 10:05 AM
I rented Heavenly Sword and was unimpressed. It felt like a shiny but cheap God of War knockoff and I didn't even like GoW all that much.

The InFamous demo was fun. I haven't tried Prototype at all. I'm gonna vote InFamous though, if only because it's a PS3 exclusive. Represent! :-P

Pie Guy
2009-07-10, 11:29 AM
No, don't you understand that if we only got games exclusive to one system, then eventually they're all system exclusive and nobody is happy!

TSED
2009-07-10, 01:19 PM
I don't understand why people are knocking on Heavenly Sword.

It's not an AMAZINGOMGYES game, but I found it quite good. The intro's a bit slow, but the game really does pick up. The end boss fight is hilariously epic, to the point where it almost feels DragonBall Z-esque. Where WALKING INTO A GUY makes him scream as he flies off to his death.

It's also pretty short, though. That IS a big minus to it.

Burley
2009-07-15, 12:01 PM
I think the big problem with Heavenly Sword is actually two seperate but equal problems:
1) Being a launch title, the developers didn't understand how much game you can stuff onto a bluray disk. (4-5 HD disks) I think they were used to programming up PS2 sized games, made a game that takes up that much space but decided to cut the length to compensate for the graphics.
2) They talked way too freakin' much about how they had to mess with the engine to make her hair free flowing. Nobody cares about hair.