PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Good Feats and Other Things for a Ranged Rogue

-Cor-
2009-07-09, 09:00 AM
I'm running an 8th level one-off for my players in a couple weeks. One of those players is making a Tiefling Rogue who is exclusively focused on making ranged attacks. He asked me for some help in building the character, but I'm a little stumped on what are good feats, weapon properties, etc... for his ranged only build.

He's only taking powers that he can do from ranged and is planning on using Shurikens.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

Cherubim
2009-07-09, 09:19 AM
Distant advantage from PhB2, obviously, is a good start. So he can sneak attack from a distance :smallsmile:

Edit: SA, not flank :O

Arcane Copycat
2009-07-09, 09:57 AM
Weapon expertise and focus (light blade) are obivous, as is above mentioned distant advantage.

Possibly defensive mobility for another +2 against opportunity attacks? Stack it with Artful Dodger build , and that's got to be at least a +6 to Opportunity Attacks.

Far throw. It adds distance to thrown weapons, means he can hang back a bit. But it's only 12 squares, and requires 13 str.

Nimble blade. The extra +1 to attack rolls when your allies are flanking an opponent can come in handy

Quick Draw. The Paragon Path in Martial Power, Flying Blade Adept, is, IMHO, the best a Shuriken Rogue can get, and it needs this. Plus, a free +2 to Initiative can make the difference between a free Sneak attack in the first round and no free sneak attack in the first round.

Press the advantage if you're really stretching might be worth a look. If you score a critical hit while you have combat adavantage, you keep it for the next round.

All those (apart from distant advantage) are found in PHB1. I can;t think of many more that could help. Except maybe Backstabber, if he has allies that are going to consistently flank opponents for him all combat.

for stats:

For the standard array:

13 Str
16 Dex
14 Cha (16 after Racial)

Rest anything else. The str gets far thrown if you really want it, helps on athletics checks, etc.etc.

For a point buy

18 dex
14 cha (16 after racial)
11,10,10,8 for anything else

OR
18 dex
13 cha (15 after racial)
12 str (for far thrown with a boost at 4th to 13)
13,10,10,8 for the rest

Kaiyanwang
2009-07-09, 10:04 AM
Could I point out Chakram Ricochet from Champions of Ruin? It allows to SA two different targets of your chakram in a single strike, a real exception to the rules.

Edit: 4th. My apologies I'm tired :smallredface:

Oracle_Hunter
2009-07-09, 10:49 AM
Get Flaming Shuriken. Then get the Tiefling Fire Feat for an extra +1/+1

I think that Nimble Blade will actually also give you +1 to hit with Shuriken when you have CA as well.

MC Ranger for some nice ranged multiattack powers and then Dirty Fighter for +4 damage per hit if thrown before your opponent moves. Improved Initiative is also key.

Yeah, that's a lot of feats, but they're all good :smallbiggrin:

Burley
2009-07-09, 11:07 AM
I wanted to chime in, too... But, I've been ninja'd pretty hard.
I think that Nimble Blade will actually also give you +1 to hit with Shuriken when you have CA as well.

Yes, it will. Light blades is light blades.

Arcane Copycat
2009-07-09, 11:09 AM

It only gives +1 in CA, it's not a constant.

Edit: Ninja'd. By a man that it appears I ninja'd.

Yakk
2009-07-09, 01:52 PM
Weapon Expertise (light blades)
Nimble Blade -- make certain you hit.
Far Throw (extra range).
Tiefling Fire Feat
Distant Advantage

That's 5 feats.

Get a +2 flaming shuriken. Get the vs Reflex rogue feat.

To hit with CA: +2(enh)+5(dex)+3(prof)+1(exp)+1(nimble)+4(level)+1 (tiefling with fire)+2(CA) = +17, vs Reflex.

Damage: d6+5(dex)+2d6(sneak attack)+2(enchant)+1(tiefling) = 18.5 average with an at-will, and 11.5 without CA (ik). You could probably increase your average damage/round by a buying backstabber instead of one of those +1 to hit feats, but reliability is very nice (esp for status effects!)

A level 10 opponent will have about 22 reflex on average. So you hit them on a 3+. In short, you just hit with every attack if you have CA. Without CA -- well, you might as well spend the action getting CA, because your CA damage is much higher than your non-CA damage!

18 dex, +1/+1 from level ups, for 20 dex. In +2 leather, you'll have 23 AC, which is mediocre for a level 8, but hey...

Everything else is nominal. Go str or cha, both have their perks. Your bonus to cha makes it tempting to use.

Powers -- blinding barrage (mass CA! mass status!), nimble strike (vs Reflex at-will). Maybe deft strike (so you can run behind cover, get a stealth check, then deft strike out). Bias towards powers that daze targets (for more CA goodness), and stealth powers on the utility end.

Carry a +1 or +2 flaming dagger in your offhand (just in case you get cornered). You'll be an effective combatant with it. Flaming daggers can also be thrown for a +1 to hit in exchange for d4 instead of d6 damage (which is only really useful if you have a +2 flaming dagger).

Learn the new stealth rules. See if you can use them to get extra CA.

Burley
2009-07-09, 02:15 PM
*snip*

Powers -- blinding barrage (mass CA! mass status!), nimble strike (vs Reflex at-will). Maybe deft strike (so you can run behind cover, get a stealth check, then deft strike out). Bias towards powers that daze targets (for more CA goodness), and stealth powers on the utility end.

(Emphasis mine) Great power.
Remember that you only get SA once per round. So, factor that into your tactics with area attacks.

Master_Rahl22
2009-07-09, 03:20 PM
He should seriously consider Warrior of the Wild for later levels. Once he hits level 10, then he can take Adept Power and grab Spitting Cobra Stance. Seriously, that power is made of win. The rest of the recommendations are good, although I'll point out that he may want to consider throwing daggers instead. The difference between 1d4 and 1d6 is fairly minor when you add modifiers, but the difference between +3 and +4 can be fairly big. You will give up a bit of range, but it's another option. Also if he makes it to paragon, Flying Blade Adept PP from Martial Power is made for this type of character.

-Cor-
2009-07-10, 12:05 PM
Thanks very much everyone for the advice. You pointed out quite a few feats I either missed or didn't think of.

I'm forwarding this thread to him.

People who gave suggestions for later levels, while I greatly appreciate the effort, this is unfortunately just a one-off. Thanks again though.