PDA

View Full Version : The plan of the fiends becomes clearer

Ancalagon
2009-07-09, 02:29 PM
So, we knew they somehow wanted some way to influence the gates in some way and they grabbed to opportunity to get control over Vaarsuvius' soul, who will, as they imagine, play an important role in the coming events about the gate.
That was known.

Now we find a second piece of the fiends' plan: They need as much chaos and struggle in the world as they can get. They kick-start the conflict between the order and Xykon (they basically kick Xykon from sitting around and know he'll cause chaos when he moves) and they pour more oil into the flames by using "a bunch of evil morons", namely the linear guild.

The question now is: Why?

I think it is meant as distraction for "all good forces that could intervene against the IFCC's plans".

But the important part is: We got another glimpse at what they plan, even if we can only speculate what those plans are.

Optimystik
2009-07-09, 02:45 PM
We know their ultimate goal (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html); lay waste to the heavens. Everything they plan is done with that in mind.

I'd say they're in favor of keeping the Material Plane in flux because it makes the Snarl that much easier to get at. More wars = more strife, more strife = more people willing to make Faustian deals, which gives them more chances at influencing the material plane. (It's reminiscent of the situation in Fullmetal Alchemist and D. Gray-Man.)

In addition, they're probably not betting all their chips on this Snarl-deal. They'd still be on the lookout for backup plans to attack the Upper Planes with.

EmperorSarda
2009-07-09, 02:48 PM
Why? Because the OoTs are free to focus on the linear guild if Xykon doesn't get off his butt in pursuit of the other gates.

Ninja'd: And they said what those plans are in #633 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html), which was reiterated in #668 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html), that they plan on using V. to get a hold of the gates to kill the the forces of good.

It's not that complicated.

Ancalagon
2009-07-09, 02:52 PM
Uh, the plan "kill all forces of good" is easily formulated but very hard and complicated to actually go through.

I compare that final goal with me stating "I want to become a billionaire". As easily formulated as what you just pointed out to be the fiends' plan, surely not THAT easy if you actually think how to accomplish that.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-09, 02:53 PM
I'm not convinced that freeing the Snarl would be in their best interest of formenting unnecessary conflict... The Snarl would end EVERYTHING, thus proving the addage of "I'm here to bring peace. Dead men are very peaceful."

But how to keep the wars going, the conflict going once Xykon is gone? Not sure, since things should return to the low-level conflict between rising adventurer parties and nameless mooks and easy to kill cannon fodder... I would think the IFCC would want something a bit more... robust once Xykon gone.

Xykon would have people fighting to the death for his entertainment, which wouldn't be enough unnecessary conflict to satisfy the Arch-Fiends. So that's out too.

Xykon in charge=not enough conflict.
Xykon gone? Not sure if there would be enough conflict...

Any other ideas?

EmperorSarda
2009-07-09, 02:54 PM
Uh, the plan "kill all forces of good" is easily formulated but very hard and complicated to actually go through.

I compare that final goal with me stating "I want to become a billionaire". As easily formulated as what you just pointed out to be the fiends' plan, surely not THAT easy if you actually think how to accomplish that.

Yes, considering that as far as we know the IFCC has no knowledge of the ritual to control the gates. But if they do have access to it, then it is probably easy for them. Or somewhat easier for them at least.