PDA

View Full Version : Keep on The Shadowfell 3.5

Lord Loss
2009-07-09, 06:42 PM
Okay, guys. Erase that whu-whu-whu-whu-whu look from your face. I'm converting keep on the Shadowfell to D&D 3.5.

So, let's start: For the first encounter, I'll bring the EL up to 2:

4x Kobolds, hidden all over,
1x Kobold Cleric of Orcus.

Using the same map, the Kbolds are hidden behind Rocks, Cleric and 2 Kobolds behind one, two remaining Kobolds behind another. Seeing as even if the PCs end up at one life in this encounter, it's no problem (They get to heal right after), I want to make it COOL They get to see neat spells, PWN Kobolds and, uh, rock sum sox!

So, guys, that's The Beginning! I'll use the Roleplaying encounters from the Village exactly like in the book, replacing any instances of Shadowfell with Thanatos.

T.G. Oskar
2009-07-09, 07:34 PM
Shouldn't you replace the Shadowfell references to Plane of Shadow instead?

Unless you call it Thanatos. Then, it sounds reasonable. I know that the Shadowfell is the realm where the dead lie.

Though, it's perfectly kosher to call it Keep on Dolurrh, and call the gate to the Shadowfell a manifest zone to Dolurrh, while coterminous. It would be perfect for an Eberron starting campaign.

Also, an EL 2 combat with Kobolds can be brutal for 1st level characters, who would see themselves pelted brutally depending on the DM. Some DMs don't play Kobolds that reasonably, but those that play using Webs and light crossbows definitely find themselves TPKing their players on their first go.

Perhaps if you make it 2 kobolds and thus a EL 1, it may be more reasonable. Kobolds like traps and ambushes, so it would be reasonable yet not specifically difficult. You don't want to have your party waste up several of your resources on their first battle, considering that the point of such a battle was that the party would rest and use healing surges, which aren't existing on 3.5. Just a heads up.

Still, it'd be interesting to see this one up. It would be nice to add to the newbie adventures, and it certainly makes it a solid beginning to any campaign.

Xefas
2009-07-09, 07:37 PM
Shouldn't you replace the Shadowfell references to Plane of Shadow instead?

Unless you call it Thanatos. Then, it sounds reasonable. I know that the Shadowfell is the realm where the dead lie.

Thanatos is the 113th layer of the Abyss, and Orcus' domain.

DracoDei
2009-07-09, 08:20 PM
Healing surges, CLW... there are many many parallels... APL +1 shouldn't be THAT unreasonable for a single encounter, although I agree that level 1 is especially tricky.

RTGoodman
2009-07-09, 08:49 PM
Healing surges, CLW... there are many many parallels... APL +1 shouldn't be THAT unreasonable for a single encounter, although I agree that level 1 is especially tricky.

I, too, agree, and I think you might be better off starting the module at 3rd level for 3.x. I almost never start at 1st level anyway, and I think it gives you some better wiggle-room for encounter design because the PCs are hardier and have more tricks up THEIR sleeves, too.

theshjuan*
2009-07-09, 09:41 PM
yeah, those first levels can be tricky, (as rtg said) lvl 2 or 3 should be a good enough startiing place for a 3.5 of Keep on the Shadowfell

Lord Loss
2009-07-10, 06:11 AM
Does anyone think we should modify the town encounters, or are they good enough as-is. I wanted to start the PCs off at level one because half players have never played before, but I guess that for this adventure the party level needs to be 2. I don't want to to be known as Ten Minute TPK for the rest of my life...

So, in the town, the situation is set up so that the PCs go to the Keep or the Kobold Lair in either order. When they do that, one will brutally slaughter them and the other will be too easy.

Therefore, I'll make Lord Paradig suggest that they go take out the Kobold Menace, and Elian go on about the Dragon's Treasure. If not, well, they're going to have trouble. Any other Ideas on that subject?

Encounter Two

I'll use the same map as Encounter One (Because it's the same road, and will simply put eight kobolds. Four will start firing at the PCs from behind the rocks, whilst four others go in from behind. NOT IN THAT WAY!

Encounter Three

That one has a little encounter and a huge map (From keep on the Shadowfell). I like the magic circle. My Idea to make it cool, is that as long as all the Kobolds in the area are not dead, it spawns 1 Mane every X (I'm not sure how many) rounds. Any ideas? How many kobolds to start?

And For the fourth encounter, I thought of putting a level 3 Encounter (My PCs level up at story enduced moments, and Roleplay/Bonus XP is special points that PCs use to buy special abilities, extra skill points, etc.) Should it be higher? Please give Ideas!