PDA

View Full Version : The Seven Deadly Sins[4e]

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-09, 07:17 PM
I'm running a Villains Campaign soon, can't wait.

I have the party beginning under the control of a Lord Vicro, one of the last few surviving evil overlords who managed to escape the crusades of the heroes that set up the current peaceful Empire, Church, Mage's Guild, etc.

Vicro has had all of their very evil characters work for him in the past, and he decided to have them work together for a time, much like his current right hand, the Deadly Seven, a group of assassins, devils, and other bloodthirsty souls that have been doing his bidding in the world for a number of years.

The Deadly Seven have a pretty obvious inspiration, the Seven Deadly Sins of Christianity. Also, I give credit to Flogging Molly's Within A Mile of Home Album, which I suggest you buy. And on another thought, SuperNatural and Full Metal Alchemist, I guess.

They are named and have monster types appropriate to their respective Sin, and here's how I thought they fit the best, since I want at least one of each monster type.

Pride-The Soldier and Leader. Also the most powerful. Think about it. Pride is EVERYWHERE. It's Human Nature to want to be right, so I figure this would be appropriate. I wanna make him a Pirate, for personal reasons. :p
Greed-Greed's Envy's twin sister and the Lurker of the group. Hey, cool. Could make her a Pirate, too.
Gluttony-The obvious choice for a Brute. He's huge and wants to eat the Warden, who is ironically named Devour. Ohm nom nom.
Envy-Envy's the other femme fatale pair that is Greed and Envy, and she wants nothing more than to blast the Sorcerer from afar with her Artillery powers, then take his power. A goal her sister's more than willing to help accomplish.
Sloth-Originally another Brute, but I realized that he's going to be dazing, slowing, and reducing speed values in melee, so I changed it to Controller.
Lust-The other Controller, Lust is a voluptous succubus that dominates, stuns, and fights from afar. Needless to say, the party's very anxious to meet her.
Wrath-I wanted Wrath to be a huge damage dealer, so Skirmisher makes sense. He's easily the most sadistic out of the group.

I figure I want them all to wear elaborate clothing and very sinister porcelain masks, much like a lot of demons you'd see in anime. Just seems to suit them. And I wanted to make them all putridly ugly underneath, to reveal their true nature. They're all going to be Elites, and I can't wait to roleplay just how pure evil they all are.

But that's really all I got, so I decided to post it on here to see what you guys thought, and see any ideas you had.

Thanks a lot. XD

dragoonsgone
2009-07-09, 07:54 PM
Barbarian would be good for Wrath I think.

You should watch Seven for more inspiration too.

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-09, 08:10 PM
I didn't think of that! Thanks man, I'll do that, since Wrath is synomonous to Anger. Hahaha. Still a Skirmisher, though. Maybe a few Wildrunner traits.

Crossfiyah
2009-07-09, 11:19 PM
He couldn't watch Seven. He can't even stomach House.

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-10, 12:37 AM
Yeah, you're right. I should definately become so desensitized that I don't squirm at a man's testicle exploding due to internal pressure... What kind of a person am I!?!?!

And PS...I SEE YOU LURKERS!!! Gimmee your input nao!!!

The New Bruceski
2009-07-10, 12:59 AM
I'd probably flip the twins. Envy tends to sneak up on you, while greed is a lot more blunt.

Kol Korran
2009-07-10, 02:04 AM
just an idea, but wouldn't it be fun if the villains had the power to arouse their aspect in the PCs? (make them pridefull, wrathfull, and so on). i still don't have the ideas of how to make it wok mechanically, of course, but proabably an encounter or at will power that attacks will. maybe the attack would make the characters spend a minor or standard action on their new "obsessions", and they'll of course have to roleplay it. hey, you can even treat this as a magical disease/ infection the character needs to get better from (with insight probably replacing endurance). this could be a nice roleplay challange to your characters.

as to the characters themselves:
Pride: not sure he should be a pirate. but could work. if you're using character templates i suggest to take one either the warlord (commanding everyone to do his bidding) or the bard (singing and telling of past victories he led). the bard also fit with mocking and psychically tormenting the enemy. as to the soldier part- either a straight and effective fighter, or... a paladin that is so full of himself that he is the perfect example of his god's ideals, and so nothing could stand against him. if you go with the pirate idea, a swordmage could be great. i suggest an Aura that gives some sort of bonus when it's allies do what it tells them (which is most of the time, but the party might try diplomacy or bluff checks in battle to persuade his minions to act on their own), the aura might also give a negative modifier to the PCs, representing how "flawed" they are....

Greed: i agree with you it should be a lurker. if you're using character templates then Rogue is the way to go. it's powers however should be direct, and slightly overwhelming i think. also- i suggest a few powers/ rituals:
- teleport some of the party cash to it's endless holding bag. this creature can meet the party several times, always attacking a little but mostly "stealing" by this power/ ritual. this oculd be just cash, or some magic items. knowing most players, this wwill REALLY make them want to get her.
- she can make "fool's gold", as in items that look usefull/ magical, but are not. thsi she uses to lure and trap victims. the party will keep on guessing.
- she might be able to actually transform some items into precious metals/ gems. this could be glittery, but also frustrating, as a sword made of gold isn't nearly as hard as an iron/ steel one.

Gluttony: my one thought about this one is to make it a huge monster, and give it the swallow property (like the purple worm). i'm thinking of a troll or ettin that got huge by eating. at the battlefield have lots of minions. it can grab one and swallow it, and this heals it/ gives it some advantage. if you do use the "infect characters with trait" idea, this could be one of the easiest, and funniest sins to play (the character will just look for food all the time). please oh please have one of the characters swallowed, and make it fight it's way out.

envy: don't have much thoughts for her. i suggest make it a doppleganger, who takes on others' appearance and lives (usually ending them first) because she thinks they have it better. when she faces the characters she takes on their looks, mimicking them. powers and/ or rituals:
- a short term power: when a PCs uses a power, Envy "steals it", making the power unavailable to the character, but usable by envy herself. she uses her own stats for this of course. she can hold up to about 3 powers i suggest, and when she takes other powers, she must relenquish old ones. these become available to the character. if Envy meets the party and runs away, she might keep the power with her for a time.
- a more long term effect might be a ritual used on some really fancy power that Envy craves. the same with the power above, but more permenant (I.E the power dont just leave Envy. the PC must find an in game solution to the problem, maybe a quest, another ritual, or maybe killing envy) this could be great if the characters are ever captured- as part of the torture, Envy takes a power for herself.

Sloth: i draw a blank here. all i can think of is a wizard, or a ghost of a wizard that has a lot of simple disabling spells. also- it has lots of constructs/ magical spirits/ undead. working for him, including carrying him around and helping move his arms and so on. realy not many ideas.

lust: pretty straight foirward, you got it right. i'd just realy suggest the "infect with aspect" idea here. could be hilarious if you get one PC lust after another.

Wrath: not many ideas here either, except make it either a giant, or a melle oriented demon/ devil.

hope this helps,
Kol.

Sir Homeslice
2009-07-10, 03:17 AM
For Gluttony, see if you can get Dragon #376: Turaglas, the Ebon Maw. While I don't like the Aspect of Turaglas, the actual Turaglas is in my opinion, extremely well done, besides the fact that he can easily be kited to death, thanks to his Speed 4, giving him a double run of only 12 squares. His Dimension Step's 12 square teleport doens't help that much either.

Also he's level 30, but you can delevel Turaglas down to whatever level you need him to be with a bit of work.

Grey Paladin
2009-07-10, 05:06 AM
I just wanted to add that Sloth was traditionally associated with depression and the 'eh, nothing really matters' attitude.

Sloth could be a massively powerful, uncaring fallen angel. Magnificent more than any earthly being, yet endlessly mumbling about how pointless everything is. He does not fights directly (if he would the PCs would stand no chance), but his constant murmuring from his countless mouths drive mortals into fits of insanity, depression, and sometimes suicide. Commoners within miles of him are stricken by intense melancholy, often dieing from thirst due to not possessing the will to stand up.

He only makes a token effort to defend himself, and when such becomes too stressful of an activity he lazily flies off to seek another spot where he can endlessly gorge.

Burley
2009-07-10, 09:30 AM
Sloth could be a massively powerful, uncaring fallen angel. Magnificent more than any earthly being, yet endlessly mumbling about how pointless everything is. He does not fights directly (if he would the PCs would stand no chance), but his constant murmuring from his countless mouths drive mortals into fits of insanity, depression, and sometimes suicide. Commoners within miles of him are stricken by intense melancholy, often dieing from thirst due to not possessing the will to stand up.

This makes me want to build a Deva name Ennui.

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-10, 09:52 PM
Kol, I love you right now. That just gave me sooo many ideas. Especially Greed. And I love the idea of having them take on a trait of one of the Seven.

And the fallen angel for Sloth is cool, but I'm going with a big dretch looking devil, arms drooping, and a mask of apathy on his face.

Pride's getting the fallen angel, though. That's too good to pass up, thanks Grey Paladin, really, really cool ideas.

Commoners within miles of him are stricken by intense melancholy, often dieing from thirst due to not possessing the will to stand up.

I LOVE this. Totally doing it.

Oh, and I made the decision the other day that Wrath will be the only demon of the party, and he's gonna play much like an Avenger, being accurate yet mobile. Plus Oath of Enmity fits well.