PDA

View Full Version : V becoming more ambiguous?

TVTMaster
2009-07-09, 08:57 PM
It seems to me that V's gender isn't the only thing that the Giant is deliberately keeping unknown- with this whole mini-arc with the fiends, V's alignment is also being drawn into question. It used to be that V's unpredictable actions caused endless debate between Good and Neutral, but now with the Soul Splice storyline, the floodgates have been opened for even more debate about hir alignment- Evil is no longer off the table.

I think it's safe to say that V is discussed more than any other character on these forums, and I'm wondering if it's maybe the Giant's intention to make V progressively more mysterious- we don't know hir gender, moral alignment, fate (a point was made of making it 50-50 in 668), relationship status, or even whether or not the ponytail is a permanent art change! Seemingly none of V's recent character development has actually clarified anything about hir. It's all just raised more questions and plot points.

So if the Giant deliberately making V an even more ambiguous character, or is this simply necessary as a part of the overarcing plot? Will we ever get any answers?

Optimystik
2009-07-09, 09:02 PM
The difference between alignment and gender is that there is a neutral alignment.

Vemynal
2009-07-09, 09:03 PM
heh technically theres a neutral gender XD

actually if u really want to get into it theres 5...

society just tends to only recognize 2 or 3 really

Optimystik
2009-07-09, 09:11 PM
actually if u really want to get into it

...I think I'll pass, thanks...

[TS] Shadow
2009-07-09, 09:51 PM
I think that the Giant is just completely overloading all of the development for V all at once. If you think about it, he's been relatively undefined for a while now. Compare that to Haley, who's been consistantly been growing. V has had a few really tough moments and made some really hard choices coughmurdercough and these sudden decisions are reflected through sudden plot elements. It's been handled really well.

Jaltum
2009-07-09, 10:57 PM
Not only is V extremely ambiguous--we don't know V's spouse's gender, or if they're the same or different genders, since the kids are adopted, either--but that mystery has now collided with the mystery of Sabine's alignment, which has spread to include the IFCC. (See the multitude of debates over which one is which and what the alignment is.)

It's interesting to note, though--just as V always insists, none of these things actually matter to the situation at hand.

If V was clearly a woman, people would say, "Oh, that's just like a mother, to freak out over her kids, and get all irrational instead of thinking it through." If V was clearly a man, people would say, "Oh, that's just like a man, trying to solve the problem with overwhelming force." And so on. The ambiguity actually cuts out irrelevant side issues.

Crabs Magee
2009-07-09, 11:05 PM
heh technically theres a neutral gender XD

actually if u really want to get into it theres 5...

society just tends to only recognize 2 or 3 really

Yeah, lets get into that. You've sparked my interest. Last time I checked, there are only two genders in humans.

Not only is V extremely ambiguous--we don't know V's spouse's gender, or if they're the same or different genders, since the kids are adopted, either--but that mystery has now collided with the mystery of Sabine's alignment, which has spread to include the IFCC. (See the multitude of debates over which one is which and what the alignment is.)

Where does it say V's children are adopted? People keep saying this, but in what strip does it say this?

thepsyker
2009-07-09, 11:11 PM
Where does it say V's children are adopted? People keep saying this, but in what strip does it say this?I think people are assuming it based on the kids both appearing to be of a darker pigmentation then either V or V's spouse.

edit:or it could be what DBear said, which I completely missed :smallredface: :endedit

OT, saying that V can go either way with equate likely hood seems to suggest a neutral alignment to me. One would think that if V were either good or evil the chances would be shifted more one way then the other. Or I might be reading to much into the 50/50.

DBear
2009-07-09, 11:13 PM
#631, panel 8 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0631.html)

Crabs Magee
2009-07-09, 11:15 PM
#631, panel 8 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0631.html)

Ah, thank you.

Kish
2009-07-09, 11:33 PM
OT, saying that V can go either way with equate likely hood seems to suggest a neutral alignment to me. One would think that if V were either good or evil the chances would be shifted more one way then the other. Or I might be reading to much into the 50/50.
If Vaarsuvius was unambiguously neutral, and the fiends predicted him/her dying as unambiguously neutral, his/her destination in the afterlife would be unambiguous (and one of the neutral planes). Good is not synonymous with Nonevil. The fiend said there's a 50% chance of Vaarsuvius going to one of the evil afterlives, which leaves a total 50% chance of anywhere but a lower plane.

Sereg
2009-07-10, 01:14 AM
Check out the thread labeled V: Soup or Salad, it's all about V's ambiguity.

factotum
2009-07-10, 01:31 AM
I think the fact the fiends said they had a 50/50 chance of getting V's soul after the thing with the dragons, coupled with the phraseology they used when they first met him ("Obviously, you have the good. Or the neutral, as the case may be"--see strip #633) pretty clearly indicates he was definitely neutral before, and Familicide may have pushed him into the Evil camp. (Guessing they don't know for sure because they don't control whoever will judge V's case for going to the Neutral afterlife).

Boaromir
2009-07-10, 02:20 AM
Yeah, lets get into that. You've sparked my interest. Last time I checked, there are only two genders in humans

Gender and the sex of someone are two different concepts. Biologically speaking, the presence of the Y-chromosome or not determines the sex of a person. Gender is less of a biological term and more of a social term. That's where male, female, genderqueer, etc. come from. At least as far as I learned in basic sociology. Someone might be able to come i n and explain it better and more indepth than I could.

Jaltum
2009-07-10, 04:01 AM
The one thing I would add, Boaromir, just to forestall an inevitable discussion--let's all remember that 'gender' and 'sex' don't inherently 'mean' anything. They're labels we invented in our language to discuss certain concepts.

You're right that modern sociologists use those terms the way you've described, because they feel like it's a better model for reality. But a model is always just a model. It's not that there 'are' five or three or two genders; it's that a lot of people find it more acccurate to use a model of five genders to try and accurately sort and describe the experiences people have.

"Your model is less accurate than mine, because it over/underemphasizes XYZ" is a more productive discussion than "My definition is right and yours is wrong." The latter tends to lead to people quoting dictionaries and textbooks back and forth at each other.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-10, 04:15 AM
Biologically speaking, the presence of the Y-chromosome or not determines the sex of a person.

There are three sexes: male, that is people with XY chromosomes and male genitalia; female, that is people with XX chromosomes and female genitalia; and other, that is anyone else.

The presence of a Y chromosome alone determines nothing.

Kaytara
2009-07-10, 04:47 AM
Don't forget that we don't know V's age, either. In Paladin Blues, his age is "130?". In Origins, he writes 103 on his application form. The contradiction is responded to by the Giant with something like "What, you've never met anyone who's lied about their age?". Plus there's V's cameo appearance in Start of Darkness, about 50-60 years before the current storyline, at a time when, were he 130, he'd still be in his early teens and in his master's tower. (Some say it's just an error that isn't supposed to mean anything save emphasize that elves are OLD, but I have trouble believing Rich would put a character into a prequel scene set in the deep past without checking if it's even possible for the character to have been there at that time.)

If Vaarsuvius was unambiguously neutral, and the fiends predicted him/her dying as unambiguously neutral, his/her destination in the afterlife would be unambiguous (and one of the neutral planes).
Nope. Remember, Roy died as Lawful Good and due to his actions could have ended up in the Neutral Good Afterlife were it not for his dedication. I take this to mean that V could die Neutral but then discover that his record is too appalling and that no Neutral Afterlife would have him.

Jaltum
2009-07-10, 04:51 AM
Forgot to mention--the mystery of the MitD came into play, too. A heavily mysterious storyline.

Zanaril
2009-07-10, 04:59 AM
Plus there's V's cameo appearance in Start of Darkness, about 50-60 years before the current storyline, at a time when, were he 130, he'd still be in his early teens and in his master's tower.

Could have been a field trip. :smallsmile:

Dixieboy
2009-07-10, 05:10 AM
There are three sexes: male, that is people with XY chromosomes and male genitalia; female, that is people with XX chromosomes and female genitalia; and other, that is anyone else.

The presence of a Y chromosome alone determines nothing.XYY
and XXY still have male genitalia (I'm 98% sure, else i need to throw out another one o' mah books)

So the Y chromosone alone does indeed determine something alone, unless i misunderstood something.

Kaytara
2009-07-10, 06:09 AM
Could have been a field trip. :smallsmile:

Maybe, except V already looked fully-grown and fully equipped there...

NerfTW
2009-07-10, 10:44 AM
It seems to me that V's gender isn't the only thing that the Giant is deliberately keeping unknown- with this whole mini-arc with the fiends, V's alignment is also being drawn into question. It used to be that V's unpredictable actions caused endless debate between Good and Neutral, but now with the Soul Splice storyline, the floodgates have been opened for even more debate about hir alignment- Evil is no longer off the table.

I'm too busy to read this thread, but I want to put in my two cents, sorry if it's already been brought up.

First, Neutral is V's most likely alignment, and we've repeatedly seen that he/she acts in her own favor first and foremost. I think the idea of actions without intent changing alignment to be ridiculous. If one still acts in their own self interest, while erring on the side of "don't kill innocents", they're still neutral.

That said, the "making hard decisions at the expense of your values" is a current theme right now. V isn't the only one. Haley has so far allowed Belkar to murder a random gnome without dumping him because she needed his help. Then she murdered Crystal rather than risk future attacks from the thieves guild. Whether you think that's a good or evil action, it's still definitely against what we've seen of her and she's clearly hiding it from others.

Belkar is another example in the other direction. He's realized that he has to be "good" in order to continue to receive the protection that the Order offers him. Because he knows that if he leaves, Roy will eventually hunt him down and stop him out of a sense of responsibility.

Durkon has just realized that his insistence on staying with the Azurites was potentially harming the search for Haley, although that's less so.

I foresee their moral choices coming into more prominence in the next book.

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-10, 11:07 AM
"V becoming more ambiguous? "

Is that even possible? :smallconfused:

Zanaril
2009-07-10, 11:08 AM

Evidently.

Xenogears
2009-07-10, 11:11 AM
Gender and the sex of someone are two different concepts. Biologically speaking, the presence of the Y-chromosome or not determines the sex of a person. Gender is less of a biological term and more of a social term. That's where male, female, genderqueer, etc. come from. At least as far as I learned in basic sociology. Someone might be able to come i n and explain it better and more indepth than I could.

There is also a Native American Tribe (I forget which one. Sociology was too long ago.) that has the Two-Spirit gender which is considered by them to be a third seperate gender. Then India (I Think) had the ummm. Hijra? maybe. Another non-male non-female gender. There are other groups as well. I'm sure if you added up all the various cultures number of genders there would be a LOT more than just 5.

Optimystik
2009-07-10, 11:48 AM
Plus there's V's cameo appearance in Start of Darkness, about 50-60 years before the current storyline, at a time when, were he 130, he'd still be in his early teens and in his master's tower. (Some say it's just an error that isn't supposed to mean anything save emphasize that elves are OLD, but I have trouble believing Rich would put a character into a prequel scene set in the deep past without checking if it's even possible for the character to have been there at that time.)

V's in SoD? Where? I had no idea!

Jaltum
2009-07-10, 11:50 AM
What looks like the back of V's head is present during a tour of Fyron's magical lab.

Haven
2009-07-10, 12:03 PM

Maybe, it's hard to tell.

Zanaril
2009-07-10, 12:10 PM
The ambiguousness of V is inversely proportional to the number of solid facts we have about the MiTD.

As V has been veering towards evil, the MiTD has been becomming more good...

As V has picked up the idiot ball, the MITD is starting to think for itself...

...The MiTD is V's twin?! :smalleek:

Ceryan
2009-07-10, 12:29 PM

There are two genders, according to the XY sex-determination system. Those people with extra Y's or X's are genetic anomalies, and can have impaired speech and language skills, infertility or other problems. They are not a different gender.

Genetic identity disorders are psychological problems, and have no relation to what the persons' gender is since it can happen to both males and females.

Sexuality is a completely different subject, however.

V may be becoming more ambiguous, but at least it's not impossible to relate to hir now.

Liwen
2009-07-10, 12:32 PM
Maybe, it's hard to tell.

That was full of win.

Even if I do not believe V actions have made her more ambiguous. She was neutral at the start of this book and over the months she struggle to defeat the epic barrier of cloister, stress, lack of trancing and stubbornness has lead her into a corner, from which the only espace was the freudian deal (or accepting the demise of or family). Then, when she finally got the power to resolve it at, all those factors came into play to push her into casting that Familicide spell. From the most recent strip, I would assume she is returning to her senses and hopefully will never commit to another evil act of this amplitude

The fact is : V is neutral, and under normal circumstances, is naturally driven to remain so. Ans she will have no afterlife in the lower planes.

thepsyker
2009-07-10, 01:00 PM
If Vaarsuvius was unambiguously neutral, and the fiends predicted him/her dying as unambiguously neutral, his/her destination in the afterlife would be unambiguous (and one of the neutral planes). Good is not synonymous with Nonevil. The fiend said there's a 50% chance of Vaarsuvius going to one of the evil afterlives, which leaves a total 50% chance of anywhere but a lower plane.
Ah, of course I forgot about there being neutral afterlives.

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-10, 01:03 PM

Au contraire. "Y" is the gene connected to the appreciation of "The Three Stooges".

Zanaril
2009-07-10, 01:05 PM
Au contraire. "Y" is the gene connected to the appreciation of "The Three Stooges".

:smallcool:

This is not the text you are looking for.

HandofShadows
2009-07-10, 01:16 PM
There are two genders, according to the XY sex-determination system. Those people with extra Y's or X's are genetic anomalies, and can have impaired speech and language skills, infertility or other problems. They are not a different gender.

Don't be so sure about that.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327151.700-review-sex-in-shades-of-grey.html

Bibliomancer
2009-07-10, 01:30 PM
That was full of win.

Even if I do not believe V actions have made her more ambiguous. She was neutral at the start of this book and over the months she struggle to defeat the epic barrier of cloister, stress, lack of trancing and stubbornness has lead her into a corner, from which the only espace was the freudian deal (or accepting the demise of or family). Then, when she finally got the power to resolve it at, all those factors came into play to push her into casting that Familicide spell. From the most recent strip, I would assume she is returning to her senses and hopefully will never commit to another evil act of this amplitude

The fact is : V is neutral, and under normal circumstances, is naturally driven to remain so. Ans she will have no afterlife in the lower planes.

However, alignment is based on the sum of your actions and intentions. Thus, if V continues to be neutral for the rest of her life, that will not balance out the incredibly evil act (confirmed as such here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html), panel 4) and as such she will go to the lower planes. The 50-50 chance mentioned in comic #668 probably represents the odds of her racking up enough "good points" between now and death to avoid this fate. Right now, her alignment probably reads ?E.

hamishspence
2009-07-10, 01:36 PM
They might be using a method similar to combining Champions of Ruin and Fiendish Codex 2-

your alignment is based on personality and methods, so if you repent your evil methods and stop doing them, you change back to Neutral (FC2)

but your afterlife is based firmly on acts- even if you are LG on death, if your evil acts are serious enough, you are sent to Neutral afterlife, or worse.

OoTS seems to combine the two- Roy is referred to by the Deva as Lawful and Good, but his afterlife is still in question, because he's done both Chaotic and minor Evil acts (one which would have sent him to Neutral afterlife (abandoning Elan) if he hadn't repented, reversed it, and shown he'd learned his lesson.)

Bibliomancer
2009-07-10, 01:43 PM
They might be using a method similar to combining Champions of Ruin and Fiendish Codex 2-

your alignment is based on personality and methods, so if you repent your evil methods and stop doing them, you change back to Neutral (FC2)

but your afterlife is based firmly on acts- even if you are LG on death, if your evil acts are serious enough, you are sent to Neutral afterlife, or worse.

OoTS seems to combine the two- Roy is referred to by the Deva several times as Lawful and Good, but his afterlife is still in question, because he's done both Chaotic and minor Evil acts (one which would have sent him to Neutral afterlife (abandoning Elan) if he hadn't repented, reversed it, and shown he'd learned his lesson.)

Personally, I saw this as the deva raking him over the coals for no good reason. Logically, your afterlife is based on where you go on death, because the universe automatically sends souls to their proper location. It would be totally illogical to have low level outsiders on each plane reassessing arrivals, because the universe would have already done this and only the good and lawful ones could be trusted to send souls away if they were 'misfiled' (assuming outsiders have better information than the universe). I interpreted that situation as the deva going on a power trip to put the fear of god into Roy, because that's what they were expected to do.

I accept that there are exceptions, specifically the corruption and obeisance point systems outlined in the Fiendish Codex II, but even in that case the souls are automatically rerouted upon death*, because no chaotic realm would send souls to Baator, regardless of how many obeisance points they have.

*Appearing on the shores of the River Styx, as mentioned in the FCII.

hamishspence
2009-07-10, 01:46 PM
Unless the obesiance points are mere abstract representations of a physical thing- an presence of Law that Chaotic realm finds abhorrant.

There is also the intermediate category- your corruption would send you to Baator, but you are absolutely genuinely repentant (evidence of this might be a change away from Evil alignment, and attempts (non-complete) to atone) Result- you become a Hellbred.

Conuly
2009-07-10, 01:47 PM
and XXY still have male genitalia (I'm 98% sure, else i need to throw out another one o' mah books)

Well, yes, but what about intersexed people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex)? Ambiguous external genitals is actually a far more common birth defect than people realize.

What about Swyer syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swyer_syndrome), where a person who appears to be female from the outside turns out to have XY chromosomes? What about XY mosaicism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaicism)?

And this is just dealing with genetics and physical sex. I haven't even touched on gender and gender identity - the whole range of transgendered individuals and all. (Gender is psychological, after all.) Notice also that I haven't mentioned sexual orientation, which is a separate kettle of fish altogether.

And of course this all has to do with humans. Who knows how elves act and what their bodies look like under the clothes? :P

hamishspence
2009-07-10, 01:52 PM
Personally, I saw this as the deva raking him over the coals for no good reason. Logically, your afterlife is based on where you go on death, because the universe automatically sends souls to their proper location. It would be totally illogical to have low level outsiders on each plane reassessing arrivals, because the universe would have already done this and only the good and lawful ones could be trusted to send souls away if they were 'misfiled' (assuming outsiders have better information than the universe). I interpreted that situation as the deva going on a power trip to put the fear of god into Roy, because that's what they were expected to do.

Or, its a in-universe representation of what happens when PC, who has "LG" written on his character sheet, but hasn't necessarily lived up to it fully, dies, and player asks DM- "Ok, so, I think I'm LG, but I haven't checked recently- what happens- how am I judged?"

(obviously there is no player or DM here, but the principle applies)

Another factor (might not apply to OoTS with its talk of "Lawful good afterlife" and "neutral good afterlife)

What happens if your alignment matches, but not closely enough? Like, if you're LG, but not Good enough to get to Celestia, you go to Arcadia? Who makes these decisions?

While "the multiverse" with no actual judgement panel, can work, it could be, that it helps the narrative for us to see Roy's questionable acts being assessed, and his defenses of them.

David Argall
2009-07-10, 03:58 PM
Personally, I saw this as the deva raking him over the coals for no good reason. Logically, your afterlife is based on where you go on death, because the universe automatically sends souls to their proper location. It would be totally illogical to have low level outsiders on each plane reassessing arrivals, because the universe would have already done this
The universe automatically doing this is dull. The deva doing it makes for interesting strips. Therefore the deva does have that decision making power. We can make what excuses we desire, such as that the universal direction is only crudely accurate, correct in the routine cases, but only about 90% accurate, and so the cases must be reviewed. But the needs of the story mean the deva has the power.

warrl
2009-07-10, 06:01 PM
The universe automatically doing this is dull. The deva doing it makes for interesting strips. Therefore the deva does have that decision making power. We can make what excuses we desire, such as that the universal direction is only crudely accurate, correct in the routine cases, but only about 90% accurate, and so the cases must be reviewed. But the needs of the story mean the deva has the power.

Also perhaps you initially go where you expected or desired to go, then have to be screened to see if you qualify.

(Problem: if the screeners at the LG afterlife are devas, logically the screeners at the CE afterlife would be CE and how could their judgment be trusted?)

Dixieboy
2009-07-10, 11:52 PM
Well, yes, but what about intersexed people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex)? Ambiguous external genitals is actually a far more common birth defect than people realize.

What about Swyer syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swyer_syndrome), where a person who appears to be female from the outside turns out to have XY chromosomes? What about XY mosaicism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaicism)?

And this is just dealing with genetics and physical sex. I haven't even touched on gender and gender identity - the whole range of transgendered individuals and all. (Gender is psychological, after all.) Notice also that I haven't mentioned sexual orientation, which is a separate kettle of fish altogether.

And of course this all has to do with humans. Who knows how elves act and what their bodies look like under the clothes? :PElves don't even have genders :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2009-07-11, 04:14 AM
They might be trusted if- the abyss actually loses out by having people of the wrong alignment in it.

Jaltum
2009-07-11, 08:06 AM
I was pondering that myself, Warrl. Maybe the Lawful Good outsiders volunteer to organize everyone's afterlife, to make sure everything is fair and well-organized.

Nights1stStar
2009-07-21, 04:01 PM
If V was clearly a woman, people would say, "Oh, that's just like a mother, to freak out over her kids, and get all irrational instead of thinking it through." If V was clearly a man, people would say, "Oh, that's just like a man, trying to solve the problem with overwhelming force." And so on. The ambiguity actually cuts out irrelevant side issues.That's the single smartest thing I've heard so far about V's gender debate. Not everyone will stereotype in that exact way, and most people certainly won't say it aloud, but there's enough prejudice, both overt and covert, so that knowing Vaarsuvius's gender would cause people to act stupid about it. I personally don't often think about whether V's a woman or man, but why worry about his/her gender when s/he has so much awesome character development to focus on?

veti
2009-07-21, 09:02 PM
(Problem: if the screeners at the LG afterlife are devas, logically the screeners at the CE afterlife would be CE and how could their judgment be trusted?)

It couldn't, of course. There is no "judgement" at the entrance to the Abyss, more an exam something like this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0133.html).

If you fail, you become the target for the next applicant.

73 Bits of Lint
2009-07-21, 09:54 PM
I was pondering that myself, Warrl. Maybe the Lawful Good outsiders volunteer to organize everyone's afterlife, to make sure everything is fair and well-organized.
Somehow, I can't see the Slaadi agreeing to any part of that deal. Especially the "well-organized" part.

My theory is that it was decided at some level that Lawful Good individuals just couldn't accept getting into Celestia without a bit of paperwork, some shaming and a word of praise from a functionary. Basically, the hearing was fixed from the start, but it wouldn't be a plane of Lawful Goodness without everyone getting their day in "court."
The Deva actually having the power to turn people away just raises too many questions. Such as, what happens if you get kicked from one afterlife, but the second afterlife feels you don't meet the criteria either? Is that how people end up in the True Neutral afterlife, by being booted from one plane to another for a few centuries?

Acero
2009-07-21, 10:11 PM
V is a wizard. he is supposed to be secretive, as is both magic-wielders and elves are.

Galderon
2009-07-22, 01:51 AM
Evidence: Wife is a Haley recolor
Alignment: Neutral
Evidence: Has no real interest in any side, and only commits acts of good or evil based on circumstances at hand

Sinai
2009-07-22, 06:11 AM
Using genetic defects to justify the idea of multiple genders is like using cyclops babies to refute that humans have two eyes. In particular, sex chromosome aneuploidy tends to render people sterile, so they're not even really part of the species. Or more simply, the number of people who would put themselves as Other is not large enough to breach society's consciousness.

sam79
2009-07-22, 06:20 AM
Evidence: Wife is a Haley recolor

...a Haley recolour with the male body-type though (i.e. sqaured off torso).

But even if we accept that Kyrie is female, your conclusion is based on the unwarranted assumption that V is heterosexual, and thus having a female partner is evidence of him being a male. That's a very big leap.