PDA

View Full Version : 4e turning monsters in PC's

SSGoW
2009-07-09, 10:16 PM
my friend told me he sent me a link to somthing that allowed a DM to take any monster and turn them into a PC. Like taking an Angel (the fire one from the MM) and making it a character that is then allowing that character to take classes ... i dont remember much but i do remember having a character play a bladeling monster as his race...

anyone know anything about taking monsters and making them races?

Gralamin
2009-07-09, 10:29 PM
my friend told me he sent me a link to somthing that allowed a DM to take any monster and turn them into a PC. Like taking an Angel (the fire one from the MM) and making it a character that is then allowing that character to take classes ... i dont remember much but i do remember having a character play a bladeling monster as his race...

anyone know anything about taking monsters and making them races?

I house-rule with what I feel right, Though Bladeling is already a race (Its hidden at the end of its entry). Though if someone wants to play, say an angel, I'd honestly just tell them to play a Deva.

Pie Guy
2009-07-09, 10:34 PM
I don't know that much about 4e but here it goes:

1) Scrap any HP and original stats from being a monster.

2) Take the highest (original) stats and give them each a plus+2 race bonus.

3) Take either an encounter or at will power (only one of either) and decide which would be more equivalent power level to a first level character.

4) The Encounter power would become a daily power, and the at will would be an encounter.

Gralamin
2009-07-09, 11:02 PM
A Sample Thing I might do (Turned to a random page in the MM)

Dryad:
+2 Dex or Wis, +2 Str
Languages: Elven
Skills: +2 Stealth, +2 Insight
Speed 8
Fey Origin
Plant: As a Plant, you have the following traits:
-You Breathe and Eat
-You do not sleep, and only need 4 hours to benefit from an extended rest. This does not make you immune to sleep effects.
Forest Walk
Treestride: You gain the Treestride power

Treestride Dryad Racial Power
Encounter ; Teleportation
Move Action; Personal
Special: The start and end square must be adjacent to a tree, a treant, or a plant of Large Size or bigger.
Effect: Teleport 8 squares

Burley
2009-07-10, 06:33 AM
A Sample Thing I might do (Turned to a random page in the MM)

Dryad:
+2 Dex or Wis, +2 Str
Languages: Elven
Skills: +2 Stealth, +2 Insight
Speed 8
Fey Origin
Plant: As a Plant, you have the following traits:
-You Breathe and Eat
-You do not sleep, and only need 4 hours to benefit from an extended rest. This does not make you immune to sleep effects.
Forest Walk
Treestride: You gain the Treestride power

Treestride Dryad Racial Power
Encounter ; Teleportation
Move Action; Personal
Special: The start and end square must be adjacent to a tree, a treant, or a plant of Large Size or bigger.
Effect: Teleport 8 squares

Mm... For the sheer amount of movement they get (Better than an elf...), I'd limit something else. Like, they need 4 hours of SUNLIGHT to benifit from an extended rest, or regular 6 hours sleep like everybody else.

pasko77
2009-07-10, 07:27 AM
Like, they need 4 hours of SUNLIGHT to benifit from an extended rest

This is very beautiful, you know.
I think i'll borrow this idea for my homerules.

Burley
2009-07-10, 07:33 AM
Yeah... :smallamused:Just be wary of players saying, "We've been fighting on this hill-top all day. I've been in direct sunlight all day. Why, again, do I not have my dailies back yet?"
They'll want all sortsa healin's and junk.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-10, 08:26 AM
Yeah... :smallamused:Just be wary of players saying, "We've been fighting on this hill-top all day. I've been in direct sunlight all day. Why, again, do I not have my dailies back yet?"
They'll want all sortsa healin's and junk.

That's easy--if you were fighting in sunlight, you weren't recharging your body, you were using it up immediately for combat. I'd inflict a -1 penalty to d20 rolls while in darkness or, if that's undesirable, say spending most of the day in sunlight grants an additional healing surge the next day from the stored energy.