PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Good 1st level spells for a wand

Thurbane
2009-07-09, 11:01 PM
Hey all,

Just trying to compile a list of 1st level arcane spells that aren't reliant on caster level. Things like Benign Transposition, True Strike, Cause Fear etc. It's for an Eternal Wand for a Beguiler, although it's more a general question.

Cheers - T

Tukka
2009-07-09, 11:04 PM
Endure elements would be one.

RTGoodman
2009-07-09, 11:06 PM
For my current utility wizard, I made sure to grab a wand of enlarge person for use on the party meatshield. Lasts 1 minute per level, so it'll last most of combat, and does more damage than I could do at that level. An eternal wand of identify could be helpful, too, as could light (which is only a cantrip), endure elements, and floating disk in certain circumstances. Reduce person could be good for you, since you won't have to worry about most of the penalties.

quick_comment
2009-07-09, 11:09 PM
If you have metamagic spell trigger and quicken spell, true strike is awesome.

Instant diversion is a nice one. Swift action casting time, and it makes a bunch of duplicates that last for 1 round.

Quietus
2009-07-09, 11:18 PM
Anything not based on caster level. Enlarge Person is good, because it's got a 1 minute duration minimum, which isn't bad. Color Spray is also a good option, as its effects aren't based on caster level either.

RTGoodman
2009-07-09, 11:44 PM
Anything not based on caster level. Enlarge Person is good, because it's got a 1 minute duration minimum, which isn't bad. Color Spray is also a good option, as its effects aren't based on caster level either.

Color spray and spells with saving throws in general aren't QUITE as good an option, though, since wands are crafted with the minimum requirements to cast them (that is, Int 11 for a 1st-level spell), meaning the saving throw against a wand of of a 1st-level spells is a whopping DC 11.

Really, good wand spells are those that DON'T have saves AND have effects that aren't based on caster level (or are good even at low caster levels).

Jerthanis
2009-07-10, 12:12 AM
Nerveskitter, from the Spell Compendium... if my understanding that spell trigger items use the same action that casting the spell would normally take is correct, because holding the wand in your hand would mean +5 initiative every combat.

Entangle is also decent, because even if they make every save, the area is still hard to move through

Well... I guess for a beguiler these wouldn't be appropriate, since they don't get these spells on their list.

ericgrau
2009-07-10, 12:18 AM
I don't see any 1st level spell that wouldn't be better on a scroll than a wand. Unless you're in a campaign where you know you'll use it often, yet not necessarily every day.

EDIT: That said, some good 1st leve scroll/wand spells are: alarm, endure elements, hold portal, protection from evil, mount, unseen servant, comprehend languages, detect secret doors, detect undead, true strike, floating disk (sometimes with caster level 2 or 3 to hold more weight), disguise self, silent image, enlarge person, erase, expeditious retreat. Possibly a couple others depending on your sitution, but I think these are more likely to be useful.

lsfreak
2009-07-10, 12:30 AM
Keep in mind he specifically said eternal wand, so 2/day forever, and as long as it's arcane it doesn't matter if it's on his list.

Nerveskitter is one of the better ones for first level. Ray of Enfeeblement or Fel Weakened Acid Splash gives a -1d6 or -4Str penalty. Enlarge person for buffing. Power Word Pain if you want your DM to throw books and/or dangerous weapons at you.

ericgrau
2009-07-10, 12:33 AM
Ah, I missed that. Though the thing with eternal wands is you must both use them every day and have a low caster level. That limits options quite a bit. That pretty much only leaves unseen servant and enlarge person, and enlarge person is iffy. The other spells listed could be useful if you're in a specific campaign where they come up a lot. Enlarge person for damage is useful at levels 1-2, but after that you can do a lot more with your time than give +4.5 damage and -2 AC (~+30% damage received for your typical tank). Enlarge person for other things like grapplers or trippers may remain useful a little longer.

Myrmex
2009-07-10, 02:04 AM
Shrink Person is great for Beguilers, since it's +5 to their hide checks, +2 to AC, and +1 or +2 to hit.

arguskos
2009-07-10, 02:09 AM
Ah, I missed that. Though the thing with eternal wands is you must both use them every day and have a low caster level. That limits options quite a bit. That pretty much only leaves unseen servant and enlarge person, and enlarge person is iffy. The other spells listed could be useful if you're in a specific campaign where they come up a lot. Enlarge person for damage is useful at levels 1-2, but after that you can do a lot more with your time than give +4.5 damage and -2 AC (~+30% damage received for your typical tank). Enlarge person for other things like grapplers or trippers may remain useful a little longer.
Well, as was mentioned, Ray of Enfeeblement and/or Fell Weakened Acid Splash (or other cantrip) is pretty decent for a cheapo eternal wand. 2/day Ray of Enfeeblement? Yes please!

Enlarge Person is good for more than 2 levels, since the size increase is usually a good thing to have around (never know when the Fighter just needs to be Large). That one is also good for pranks:
Fighter: I'll be upstairs with these salty wenches!
Beguiler: Ok.... *pulls eternal wand of Enlarge Person, stealths upstairs, uses wand at a hilariously compromising time*. :smallamused:

Also, I can't believe no one's mentioned Benign Transposition yet! It's such a great spell that you just have to have a wand of it! At least, I love it.

Coidzor
2009-07-10, 02:33 AM
That one is also good for pranks:
Fighter: I'll be upstairs with these salty wenches!
Beguiler: Ok.... *pulls eternal wand of Enlarge Person, stealths upstairs, uses wand at a hilariously compromising time*. :smallamused:

Also, I can't believe no one's mentioned Benign Transposition yet! It's such a great spell that you just have to have a wand of it! At least, I love it.
Benign Transposition was mentioned by the OP, I think... <_< >_>

I don't get it. Any fighter worth his salt would just roll with it. Can fit more wenches on that way. And if she's bigger, well, that just means she's more of a challenge in the grappling. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2009-07-10, 02:48 AM
Hmm, how about Silence?

Talic
2009-07-10, 03:16 AM
Ray of Enfeeblement is prob one of the best. Grease is another.

Cyclocone
2009-07-10, 05:12 AM
I don't get it. Any fighter worth his salt would just roll with it. Can fit more wenches on that way. And if she's bigger, well, that just means she's more of a challenge in the grappling. :smalltongue:

Just use Nerveskitter to make the Fighter go first...

Anyway, in adition to what's been said already:

Backbiter
Bloodwind
Buzzing Bee
Fist of Stone
Know Protections
Magic Weapon
Mighty Wallop
Lesser Restoration
Ray of Clumsiness
Reflexive Strike
Shock and Awe
Sign
Silverbeard
Slide
Snakes Swiftness
Spiderclimb
Stand
Summon Monster I
Lesser Vigor
Weapon Shift

Vaynor
2009-07-10, 05:14 AM
Mount seems like a pretty good one for an eternal wand, only need one or two uses a day at the most anyways, and it's good to up your speed by a pretty hefty amount.

Stormthorn
2009-07-10, 11:56 AM
Color spray and spells with saving throws in general aren't QUITE as good an option, though, since wands are crafted with the minimum requirements to cast them (that is, Int 11 for a 1st-level spell), meaning the saving throw against a wand of of a 1st-level spells is a whopping DC 11.

Really, good wand spells are those that DON'T have saves AND have effects that aren't based on caster level (or are good even at low caster levels).

In pretty sure i read somewhere that a found wand is like that but a wand could specificly be made above that if the crafter wanted.

Twilight Jack
2009-07-10, 12:22 PM
In pretty sure i read somewhere that a found wand is like that but a wand could specificly be made above that if the crafter wanted.

Yes to the caster level, but not the effective casting stat. A wand of color spray crafted as if by a 5th level caster still only casts with an effective Int/Cha of 11. Still only a DC 11 to save against.

Random832
2009-07-10, 01:14 PM
Yes to the caster level, but not the effective casting stat. A wand of color spray crafted as if by a 5th level caster still only casts with an effective Int/Cha of 11. Still only a DC 11 to save against.

What about a wand of heightened color spray (though, wait, that's not first-level anymore either)

Maybe you can tie a headband of intellect around the wand?

Myrmex
2009-07-12, 10:42 PM
There's a non-epic feat in the epic handbook that allows you to craft magic items that use the crafter's ability score rather than the lowest possible one. It doesn't even increase the item's price. :smallsmile:

Zaq
2009-07-12, 10:48 PM
No one's mentioned Undetectable Alignment yet? It's great for preventing friction with a party Paladin, if you happen to be in, as Belkar put it, the deep end of the alignment pool.

Also, Jump should not be underestimated. It's a poor man's Fly, really. Less so if you can't boost the CL, but still... especially combined with Expeditious Retreat. Pit? What pit?