PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Gestalt Doppleganger/Anarch 8

PapaNachos
2009-07-09, 11:26 PM
A friend of mine will soon be joining a gestalt campaign, so we've been working on a character for the past few days. The DM told us he could pull from any book as well as Dragon magazine.

We're working on making a Doppleganger Anarch, but we're having some trouble. We want make the character be able to cause as much chaos as physically possible, while still maintaining some combat capability.

We also can't figure out how LA works for gestalt characters, and since we're dealing with a +4 it could be a problem.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-09, 11:31 PM
Usually LA takes up one "track" of the Gestalt.
Or some DM's split the LA. So for 2 levels you get nothing but LA on both "sides".

I prefer the second option for game balance but the first is easier.
Ask your DM which one they prefer.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-09, 11:44 PM
Usually LA takes up one "track" of the Gestalt.
Or some DM's split the LA. So for 2 levels you get nothing but LA on both "sides".

I prefer the second option for game balance but the first is easier.
Ask your DM which one they prefer.Ask the DM about the LA, but I prefer the first method for balance. LA sucks too much for it to take away HD when it doesn't need to.

PapaNachos
2009-07-09, 11:54 PM
Alright, I'll have to do that tomorrow.

We're also trying to come up with a lot of fun ways to mess with the environment and NPCs (taking advantage of the Dopplegangers abilities). Know of anything that might work especially well for that?

Jack_Simth
2009-07-10, 12:05 AM
Well, the Chameleon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=1) is really good for anyone who wants to be a deceiver.

Warshaper (complete Warrior, page 89) is also a nifty choice for a doppelganger - gives you a lot of things useful in combat (increased Strength, Constitution, extra weapons, faster shaping, Reach, and Fast Healing).

Reaper_Monkey
2009-07-10, 05:49 AM
The doppelgänger also has 4HD that you'd have to level up through as well don't forget, which means 8 levels are going to have to be used to get all of its abilities (or to even be one). Which limits your options to primarily one class or two classes that never reach the 20 mark if you split it with 4 on each side of the gestalt.

Uin
2009-07-10, 08:39 AM
You can use the Changeling race plus the Cabinet Trickster PrC to get the same effect as a doppelganger without the LA and Racial HD.

PapaNachos
2009-07-10, 10:46 AM
He'll only be losing 8 levels from the one side of it.

MH | Anarch
MH | Anarch
MH | Anarch
MH | Anarch
LA | Anarch
LA | Anarch
LA | Anarch
LA | Anarch

Hopefully the DM will let him do it this way. He was going to keep going with Anarch, but use the other half for prestige classes and stuff.

JeenLeen
2009-07-10, 10:51 AM
You can use the Changeling race plus the Cabinet Trickster PrC to get the same effect as a doppelganger without the LA and Racial HD.

What is Cabinet Trickster from?

PapaNachos
2009-07-10, 11:03 AM
RoE, but it requires changling and 9 ranks in disguise and a feat.

Blackjackg
2009-07-10, 11:09 AM
There is the Doppelganger racial class in Races of Destiny, but it would be tricky figuring out how to handle the levels where the D. doesn't gain a hit die. I suppose you could have the character gain half a hit die in that situation (Anarch gets a d10, so call it a d5... or a d6 if your DM wants to keep it simple/be generous).