PDA

View Full Version : Adapting Midnight Bloodlines for other games...

Lord_Xaedien
2005-11-07, 08:12 PM
Ok, this is my first real post here, so I really do not have a feel for how the community works, so if I say something taboo or downright stupid, point it out and poke fun at my expense, but do it with love!

Anyway, this question is needlessly complex, as it requires a base knowledge in three different RPGs, Midnight, D&D, and the Iron Kingdoms setting from Privateer Press (fantastic setting by the by). Is there a viable way to make open the bloodlines in midnight for characters in the Iron Kingdoms world?

For those of you unfamiliar to IK, it is balanced with the 3.5 D&D classes in mind (it uses mostly the same classes), so balancing it in terms of D&D is fine as well.

Midnight is a game where the characters are much stronger than their compatriots in D&D, and the bloodlines are a clear example of this. One idea I had was to make the Midnight Bloodlines function as a major bloodline according to Unearthed Arcana. However, I now question if this is still vastly overpowered...

Can anyone offer advice? I know this is a complex and poorly articulated question, but its the best I can come up with.

Thanks

SilverElf4
2005-11-14, 12:53 PM
Eh, I have familiarity with all three, thought I have only the 1st edition of Midnight, and my brother's copy of Iron Kingdoms.

I enjoy both settings, but this is a sticky question. I would take the Bloodlines rules from UA / SRD and apply them there.

They suggest for the major bloodlines they give (from which Midnight drew inspiration no doubt) that you must take a level of "bloodline" instead of class at 3, 6, and 12.

I'm not sure I like that. In fact, I like Dawnforge's system better, which is that your character acquires a racial level adjustment ever so often. I would say maybe for Midnight I would increase the LA of the character at 5, 10, and 15. That way you can still earn your classes as you go, but you will top off earlier.

Note though that this won't work nearly as well if not all the PC's have said bloodlines. Good luck on cross-breeding the materials though, it would make one heck of a world.