PDA

View Full Version : NWN2 - Offbeat but viable characters?

Avilan the Grey
2009-07-10, 08:29 AM
Because of the NWN2 disappointment thread I somehow got tempted to reinstall it.

Now... I want to try some character that is viable, but a little different.

My last one was a standard Fighter - Bard - RDD (it is a sure "win" in this game).
I like the Bard class because of it's skills... And the same with the Rogue one.

Dark Faun
2009-07-10, 09:16 AM
A dwarf paladin, maybe? I always considered characters with unfitting classes or otherwise flaws to be more interesting than optimized or even standard ones.

Rustic Dude
2009-07-10, 10:02 AM
Well, my standard build is a human Fighter aimed towards WeaponMaster, wielding a Greatsword. It's fun to use, even with all the feats needed.

Ah, cheerful criticals.

Jalor
2009-07-10, 11:17 AM
Wizard/Duelist. I'm serious.

Or my gish build; Sorcerer 6/RDD 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Knight X. The Warlock level is for Dark One's Own Luck, because the build has sucky saving throws otherwise.

Mando Knight
2009-07-10, 05:57 PM
Straight up Half-Orc Fighter, maybe? No charisma, so you're going to have to fight through everything, but hey, you can take the punishment. :smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2009-07-11, 11:40 AM
Wizard / Duelist sounds fun :)

...I read about a guy that hated the game, but uses the character editor for his players for table top creation. NOt as much the skills, as making characters and then take a screenshot for each character.

ghostaxe
2009-08-01, 12:56 PM
Ooh, I've been playing NWN2 recently. One surprisingly good one is:

Halfling Monk 3 / Cleric (Air + Plant) 3 / Fighter 4 / Frenzied Berserker 10

STR: 13 (8)
DEX: 19 (13)
CON: 9 (1)
INT: 12 (4)
WIS: 14 (6)
CHA: 8 (0)

Feats: Need Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, and Weapon Finesse before level 10 (should be easy to manage with the fighter levels), and pick up Improved Power Attack at some point. Pick others as you like.

Put all your stat points into DEX.

The basic idea is that you use Weapon Finesse with a Short Sword weapon. However, halflings can use Short Swords with two hands! So he gets the full bonus from Enhanced Power Attack (FB), and ends up stacking huge damage, huge touch AC, and great saves, as well as a good attack bonus (+1 for size). That, and supreme cleave, made the Crossroad Keep siege (ending with the Nightwalker) trivial. I just stood him at the entrance where monsters were coming in, and let the attacks of opportunity and the cleaves do all the work.

MrPig
2009-08-01, 01:39 PM
I went Human Wizard/Scholar of Candlekeep with Evocation spell focus. I'm hella squishy but it makes certain parts rather challenging (like the duel with Lorne).

Morty
2009-08-01, 01:45 PM
I went Human Wizard/Scholar of Candlekeep with Evocation spell focus. I'm hella squishy but it makes certain parts rather challenging (like the duel with Lorne).

My current character is a Half-Elf Wizard/SoC as well, though without focusing on Evocation and I stomped Lorne in the ground with ease.

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 03:01 PM
I went Bard 16/Eldritch Knight 4, worked out pretty well for me. Bards are awesome.

Avilan the Grey
2009-08-01, 04:36 PM
Thanks all for the tips.
My laptop has a shot motherboard, so I hopefully will reinstall NWN2 within two weeks...

Hawriel
2009-08-04, 02:45 PM
Might I suggest getting the expaniton Storm of Zehir. This is basicly a stand alone game with alot of changes. One is you can make a party of 4 player made characters. Second you can walk around the world map on your own. This is pritty much a free form D&D game. They also added two new races to NWN2. Grey orcs and Yanti.

For fun I made an all evil party. Dark elf rogue, grey dwarf barbarian, grey orc cleric, and tiefling mage.

The best part is that all skill rolls are not dependant on your 'main' character. The game will give you options on how you want to handle dialog or encounters based on the skills of the party. Class special abilities come into play as well. For instance Druids, barbarians and rangers have a better over land speed off road than other classes. This works in the over land map, and makes it alot easyer to avoid wondering monsters.

EDIT forgot the link.

http://www.atari.com/nwn2/soz/flash_us.html