PDA

View Full Version : Setting Yourself On Fire

TSED
2009-07-10, 09:47 AM
In GURPS, the penalty for fighting in pitch blanckness is -10 whereas the penalty for being on fire is -2. In the dark, one can greatly improve your combat chances by setting yourself on fire. That does makes sense but I find it hilarious.

Self-immolation: prevents ninjas (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=15&issue=4), explosions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6455881&postcount=29) AND helps you fight in the dark! Is there anything it can't do?

So, what other benevolent things can it do? The only thing I can think of right now is in 3.5, polymorphing into an ashrat and being on fire would heal you.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-10, 09:53 AM
DND: I'm not sure how much extra damage would your unarmed attacks deal if you're on fire, but it surely makes you deal more damage during a grapple.

Morty
2009-07-10, 09:55 AM
It prevents you from freezing to death. I just don't know if there are any rules for that in any system...

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-10, 09:55 AM
Being on fire would make that White Dragon loathe to touch you. It'd also scare off other fire weak creatures and allow you to kill trolls by grappling them to death.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-10, 09:58 AM
Hmmm...certain types of Golems can set themselves on fire to heal themselves, as I don't believe their form of immunity prevents them from burning (RAW doesn't say it prevents them from having to make the save, so...). Possibly abusable with the Polymorph line of spells.

Haven
2009-07-10, 10:01 AM
You could hug someone for 3d4 damage per turn. Per turn. (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2008/02/05/episode-951-when-life-gives-you-firelemons/)

kamikasei
2009-07-10, 10:01 AM
Presumably a bonus to Intimidate. I'm reminded of the Bioware website's writeup of the Azer when they were added to Hordes of the Underdark.

"You've got to respect a race who've built an entire technological civilization while their heads were on fire. I know I wouldn't have been like that. Oh sorry, I can't come in to work today, my head's on fire. What's that? No, I don't think I'll be discovering penicillin today, my head's on fire!!!"

bosssmiley
2009-07-10, 10:11 AM
Presumably a bonus to Intimidate. I'm reminded of the Bioware website's writeup of the Azer when they were added to Hordes of the Underdark.

"You've got to respect a race who've built an entire technological civilization while their heads were on fire. I know I wouldn't have been like that. Oh sorry, I can't come in to work today, my head's on fire. What's that? No, I don't think I'll be discovering penicillin today, my head's on fire!!!"

The Azer; prefiguring Dorf Fortress by about two decades. :smallbiggrin:

Self-immolation may also help to cure Rot Grub infestation, and/or prevent Black Pudding attack.

Claudius Maximus
2009-07-10, 10:14 AM
It can help you survive in the Positive Energy Plane.

Edit: I just realized that was in the OP already. Sorry.

Roland St. Jude
2009-07-10, 11:16 AM
Presumably a bonus to Intimidate...

Especially if you have a wheelbarrow and yell, "THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS IS HERE FOR YOUR SOULS!"

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-10, 12:15 PM
Well, assuming you're a Tiefling and playing 4e, I can see no immediate drawbacks to self-immolation.

Then you can add your "Being on Fire" bonuses to cobat.
Hugging somebody for fire damage each turn, AND you're not being hurt by it either! Win!

Vaynor
2009-07-10, 12:18 PM
If you're not already resistant to fire, just get a ring of energy resistance (fire) and you can be on fire as long as you want. This would be an interesting idea for a monk. I wonder how much an unarmed strike's damage would be increased by if your hand was on fire.

John Campbell
2009-07-10, 12:22 PM
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Teach a man to set himself on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Lapak
2009-07-10, 12:29 PM
Among the other benefits discussed in this thread, ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire. (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=15&issue=4)

Moriato
2009-07-10, 12:35 PM
Especially if you have a wheelbarrow and yell, "THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS IS HERE FOR YOUR SOULS!"

Roberts? I thought his name was Woberts.

Also, if a Psion, you'd always have a flame to animate with "Control Flames"

TSED
2009-07-10, 12:38 PM
Among the other benefits discussed in this thread, ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire. (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=15&issue=4)

Cough cough topic cough.

COUPLE OF THINGS:
-I was hoping for some more actual mechanical bonuses to being on fire, because ad-hocs are very much not-as-funny. The monk that's always on fire is kind of a great mental image, though.

-I would argue that grappling while on fire would force you to make the reflex saving throw to avoid being on fire, AND give you the +4 bonus to rolling around on the ground. IE: Very unlikely to remain on fire. Oh well.

-No reason to limit this to D&D 3.5!

Indon
2009-07-10, 01:04 PM
Hmm... Well, Fire Resistance 6 would allow you to be on fire indefinitely without being harmed (amusing quirk: The rules on d20srd.org on catching fire don't specify fire damage, so strict RAW, I'm pretty sure DR would apply and fire resistance wouldn't).

Also, Azers deal fire damage with their unarmed attack. Do they count as being on fire? I mean... if they aren't, they could set themselves on fire. More.

Lapak
2009-07-10, 01:09 PM
Cough cough topic cough.Don't know how I missed that.

COUPLE OF THINGS:
-I was hoping for some more actual mechanical bonuses to being on fire, because ad-hocs are very much not-as-funny. The monk that's always on fire is kind of a great mental image, though.

-I would argue that grappling while on fire would force you to make the reflex saving throw to avoid being on fire, AND give you the +4 bonus to rolling around on the ground. IE: Very unlikely to remain on fire. Oh well.

-No reason to limit this to D&D 3.5!Fair enough!

In several different editions of D&D, being on fire would protect you from being killed by green slime.

EDIT: Also, arguably, rot grubs.

EDIT: Also, given that flames remove webs (from the Web spell) as easily as a hand brushes aside cobwebs, being on fire makes you essentially immune to that spell.

JeenLeen
2009-07-10, 01:14 PM
Do recall that, in 3.5 at least, you can always choose to fail a saving throw. It's not reasonable to purposely fail the save to stop being on fire while grappling--if anything, a Dex check to stay on fire?--but mechanically it makes sense.

LibraryOgre
2009-07-10, 01:18 PM
A feat to make this useful (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#controlledImmolation)

Moriato
2009-07-10, 01:20 PM
Being on fire would probably make you immune to swarms, unless the swarm had fire resistance or immunity

ColonelFuster
2009-07-10, 01:26 PM
Given that flames remove webs (from the Web spell) as easily as a hand brushes aside cobwebs, being on fire makes you essentially immune to that spell.

Now one of my players is going to try this next session. I JUST KNOW IT.

TSED
2009-07-10, 01:44 PM
A feat to make this useful (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#controlledImmolation)

But that makes the fire only lasts 1d4 rounds, which means some of the uses (walking around all day on fire, helping to not-explode in the Positive Material Plane, etc.) unavailable...

Web is a good one.
Green slimes / rot grubs are good ones.

Tyrmatt
2009-07-10, 02:08 PM
I know the Monk playtest for 4E specifically states the example of enchanting your hands to be on fire as a way of boosting unarmed damage...I bet you could achieve the same effect with some handwraps, a lighter and a splash of oil for minor amount of damage per turn :p

Talon Sky
2009-07-10, 04:30 PM
http://tinypic.com/r/6sawer/3

Moriato
2009-07-10, 05:04 PM
http://tinypic.com/r/6sawer/3

10 GP says that was supposed to be the "Ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire" pic

Talon Sky
2009-07-10, 06:20 PM
10 GP says that was supposed to be the "Ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire" pic

Yes, and I hate tinypic >.>

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-10, 06:24 PM
In 3.5, being on fire would be a pretty good thing for a Crusader as it would mean his delayed damage pool would never be empty.

obnoxious
sig

chiasaur11
2009-07-10, 06:24 PM

THERE WILL BE NO SURVIVORS!

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-10, 06:26 PM
So, wait, seriously?

Three people have now tried to post the ubiquitous Doctor Mcninja joke that was already in the OP?

Vorpal word
2009-07-10, 06:28 PM
EDIT: Also, given that flames remove webs (from the Web spell) as easily as a hand brushes aside cobwebs, being on fire makes you essentially immune to that spell.

Incidentally, at least one wizard in the Drizzt Du'orden books set himself on fire for a good reason :smallbiggrin:(I believe he was a drow who fireballed himself to avoid a vengeful horde of spiders sent by Lolth)

ChaosDefender24
2009-07-10, 06:47 PM
Who needs setting yourself on fire when you have Balor Nimbus?

It's a spell from the SpC, and it lights you on fire (harmlessly!) and lets you do major damage to whatever you grapple. Much more damage than normal fire, anyway.

Callista
2009-07-10, 07:16 PM
Phoenix Fire. Burn yourself to death and be immediately resurrected to do a large amount of damage to your enemies, in exchange for losing a level from the death and resurrection. Underpowered, unfortunately, but I love the concept. I think I'd houserule it to be a bit better just so it would become a viable option, at least for the big fights.

You know your character's hardcore if he considers burning to death a valid battle strategy...

Random832
2009-07-11, 04:08 PM
Yes, and I hate tinypic >.>
You posted the link instead of the image. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6sawer&s=3

Glimbur
2009-07-11, 04:17 PM
If you're a Totemist and can bind to your waist chakra, the Phoenix belt gives you fast healing 1 for a number of rounds equal to the fire damage it prevented. If you set yourself on fire you heal 1 hp every 6 seconds until a few rounds after the fire goes out.

AstralFire
2009-07-11, 04:37 PM
Phoenix Fire. Burn yourself to death and be immediately resurrected to do a large amount of damage to your enemies, in exchange for losing a level from the death and resurrection. Underpowered, unfortunately, but I love the concept. I think I'd houserule it to be a bit better just so it would become a viable option, at least for the big fights.

You know your character's hardcore if he considers burning to death a valid battle strategy...

Phoenix Fire isn't too bad; Exalted Arcanist is a decent class (spells that have half sacred damage are great) and a Sorcerer will get to hugely expand their spell list as a result of taking it, including having this spell as an option. Also, remember a character behind in levels gets more XP.

PLUN
2009-07-11, 05:11 PM
Faerie Fire can make you more approachable, or lighten the mood in any situation. It's hard to get intimidated and terrified by someone basked in .gif style fire set to pretty princess pink.

Greengiant
2009-07-11, 05:25 PM
I love you guys, I'm already making an adversary for my PC's based on a guy that's constantly on fire. Right now, giving him fire resistance is the easy part. Giving him oxygen is a bit harder, because he's surrounded by flames, Necklace of Adaptation anybody? And a ring of flame control, or something, is there such a thing?

PLUN
2009-07-11, 05:29 PM
I love you guys, I'm already making an adversary for my PC's based on a guy that's constantly on fire. Right now, giving him fire resistance is the easy part. Giving him oxygen is a bit harder, because he's surrounded by flames, Necklace of Adaptation anybody? And a ring of flame control, or something, is there such a thing?

If it's magical fire, it's certainly not a problem (if you count 'being magically on fire all the time' as no problem - Ignus from PS:T might object), and there's no rules for regular oxygen deprivation. There's an Ioun stone that removes your need for air at all if logic is your group's cold taskmasker.

Greengiant
2009-07-11, 05:34 PM
If it's magical fire, it's certainly not a problem (if you count 'being magically on fire all the time' as no problem - Ignus from PS:T might object), and there's no rules for regular oxygen deprivation. There's an Ioun stone that removes your need for air at all if logic is your group's cold taskmasker.

Yes, logic is required in our world. As logical as you can make it with 3.5, where Iron costs so dang much in the market even though Wall of Iron is a pretty low level spell, and can be cast by wizards a bazillion times if they please.

Ooooh, maybe as a DM I could rule that the Ioun stone looks like a ball of molten magma.

Waspinator
2009-07-11, 05:44 PM
Doesn't someone on this board have a stick figure signature picture of the "Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life" thing?

Captain Alien
2009-07-11, 05:50 PM
Being an Aasimar or Tiefling can be useful in order to be set in fire all the time while suffering only one hitpoint every round with just a 16% chance of it. Vow of Poverty would help too, because then you don't have to worry about your items being burnt*

*: Rules do not say anything about items being burnt, do them? If they do not, then it might be a good option, until your DM starts to make fire burn your clothes.

Douglas
2009-07-11, 05:54 PM
Aasimar don't get Fire Resistance, actually.

TSED
2009-07-11, 06:18 PM
Being an Aasimar or Tiefling can be useful in order to be set in fire all the time while suffering only one hitpoint every round with just a 16% chance of it. Vow of Poverty would help too, because then you don't have to worry about your items being burnt*

*: Rules do not say anything about items being burnt, do them? If they do not, then it might be a good option, until your DM starts to make fire burn your clothes.

Roll of 1 makes your objects require a saving throw as well, and I guess if you are auto-failing your saving throw by choice they'd get caught in it too?

HOWEVER: Taking 1 point of damage every 6 rounds is still a good way to get yourself killed (10 points of damage in 6 minutes, 20 points of damage in 12 minutes, 96 points of damage in an hour, etc. There's better ways to all-day-flambe, unless you have fast healing in which case I guess that works fine.)

Captain Alien
2009-07-11, 06:37 PM
Taking 1 point of damage every 6 rounds is still a good way to get yourself killed (10 points of damage in 6 minutes, 20 points of damage in 12 minutes, 96 points of damage in an hour, etc. There's better ways to all-day-flambe, unless you have fast healing in which case I guess that works fine.)

Some fights last less than ten rounds. One hitpoint, tops. But it would not allow a creature to survive a whole day, as you point out. Maybe a Feral Tiefling could survive a whole day in fire, but I don't think it worths the Level Adjustment +3. Or the weirdness of the creature itself.

Aasimar don't get Fire Resistance, actually.

Oops. You are right.

I still find fire resistance more useful than acid resistance. You get blasted by Acidballs less often than by Fireballs. And there are more volcanoes than acid pools. And there are deserts and cold places in every campaign, but there are only a few campaigns where travelling through the world means getting acid damage.

Also, you can set yourself in fire, but not "set yourself in acid". Not with the same badass result, anyway.

ashmanonar
2009-07-11, 06:53 PM
If you're not already resistant to fire, just get a ring of energy resistance (fire) and you can be on fire as long as you want. This would be an interesting idea for a monk. I wonder how much an unarmed strike's damage would be increased by if your hand was on fire.

*Create Water*

TSED
2009-07-11, 07:34 PM
Some fights last less than ten rounds. One hitpoint, tops. But it would not allow a creature to survive a whole day, as you point out. Maybe a Feral Tiefling could survive a whole day in fire, but I don't think it worths the Level Adjustment +3. Or the weirdness of the creature itself.

But then you're wasting actions on self-immolation!

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-11, 07:51 PM
Depending on the heat of the fire (which D&D never takes into account):

Wear a Hot Air Balloon (sans-basket - just wear it like a parachute) <. .> Congratulations, you have (Slow, hard to control) Fly as long as you're on fire <^_^> ... getting down might be more difficult however.

(No one said anything about *practical* bonuses...)

Indon
2009-07-11, 08:03 PM
HOWEVER: Taking 1 point of damage every 6 rounds is still a good way to get yourself killed (10 points of damage in 6 minutes, 20 points of damage in 12 minutes, 96 points of damage in an hour, etc. There's better ways to all-day-flambe, unless you have fast healing in which case I guess that works fine.)

So, Tiefling Totemist, then?

Terror_Incognito
2009-07-11, 08:07 PM
If you're playing on a glacier, you could gain a Burrow Speed

Yukitsu
2009-07-11, 08:32 PM
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Teach a man to set himself on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

This isn't true. One of my freinds learned how to light himself on fire by accident, and he complains he's cold every January.

John Campbell
2009-07-11, 08:55 PM
It makes a good distraction. (http://megatokyo.com/strip/1219)

This isn't true. One of my freinds learned how to light himself on fire by accident, and he complains he's cold every January.

He's clearly not doing it right.

Kyouhen
2009-07-11, 09:18 PM

That's because nobody taught him how to light himself on fire.

Indon
2009-07-12, 10:21 AM
If you're playing on a glacier, you could gain a Burrow Speed

Wouldn't that scenario turn into you needing a swim speed awfully quickly?